PDA

View Full Version : Supremes costums gone wrong....so wrong.

test

blueskies
06-30-2014, 08:27 PM
http://www.goldminemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Supremes_a.jpg

I always thought these were hideous. Who designed
these....and more importantly....why did they wear
them? Just my opinion....but, these were clunkers.

ralpht
06-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one, Blue.

blackguy69
06-30-2014, 08:38 PM
i thought those costumes and the ones they wore on Ed Sullivan when they sang Im Livin in Shame were the worse they ever wore.

carole cucumber
06-30-2014, 09:39 PM
They were not my favorite Supremes' outfit either. They just did nothing for the girls. [[All that aside, I do think that one of the prettiest pictures of Jean is included in The Millenium Collection: Diana Ross & the Supremes Volume 2, even though Cindy [[misidentified as Lynda), Jean & Mary are wearing that outfit.
They featured them on an appearance on the Tom Jones Show - a lip synch of Stoned Love and a joint performance of River Deep, Mountain High. The best way that I would describe them is distractingly unattractive.
I much prefered the green outfits worn for the Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show/Stealing In the Name Of the Lord/Loving Country/Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music /Save The Country medley.

carole cucumber
06-30-2014, 09:42 PM
i thought those costumes and the ones they wore on Ed Sullivan when they sang Im Livin in Shame were the worse they ever wore.It was even more confusing when JMC wore the Living in Shame costumes - Cindy in her own [[silver & blue) , Jean in Mary's [[silver & blue) and Mary in Diana's [[silver & green).

blackguy69
06-30-2014, 10:06 PM
You are thinking of No Matter What sign you are. I was referring to the tacky crush velvet pink outfits they wore when they sang I'm livin in shame and love child

carole cucumber
06-30-2014, 10:13 PM
You are thinking of No Matter What sign you are. I was referring to the tacky crush velvet pink outfits they wore when they sang I'm livin in shame and love child

You are absolutely right. My bad.
Those pink velvet outfits looked like pajamas to me. The only good thing about that performance is that Mary & Cindy actually got to sing background on Love Child on that
occasion, after having lip-synched to the Andantes on the performance that marked the debut of the single on Sullivan.

bradsupremes
06-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Yes, those gold outfits were not my favorite, but I think this is the worst set of Supremes gowns. I've never seen a picture of them wearing these although people have said they've seen them wearing them. They look like cotton balls were glued on... Does anyone have a picture of the ladies wearing these?

Methuselah2
07-01-2014, 02:48 AM
That yellow number directly above certainly cannot be ignored.

But my vote still has to go to the pink velveteen 'blood clot' pajamas/pantsuits worn for I'M LIVIN' IN SHAME/The Ed Sullivan Show/1969.

supremester
07-01-2014, 03:04 AM
I agree: those gold JMC pantsuits are, indeed, hideous. So ugly, in fact, that I didn't even buy one on Ebay. They looked awful in them - ugh - what a mess that appearance was.

Sullivan's costumers were awful always. Not only the pink PJs, but the Funny Girl dresses and Millie/Rose/<|Mame things stink also.

The yellow cotton balls are so bad, they're almost good in a very mod 60's sort of way - but still yeeechy.

carlo
07-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Those yellow flower outfits are so ugly. From memory, I think I remember seeing some kind of photo of at least one of the ladies wearing them...I think at a press conference? It's possible they were made for the girls and then they just flat out refused to wear them.

floyjoy678
07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm probably in the minority hear but I think almost all of the gowns from 1968 forward were pretty hideous. Hated those "Butterfly TCB" gowns the most. It was too much. The only gowns I really liked were the ones from Sullivan "Forever Came Today", the ones when they did "The Impossible Dream" AKA Right On gowns and the ones from the farewell show, the rest...meh.

marybrewster
07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I agree with everyone that mentioned the Purpleishpink Velvet Pussywillows as being among the worst. And Mary's wig from that performance? Yikes.

marybrewster
07-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Yes, those gold outfits were not my favorite, but I think this is the worst set of Supremes gowns. I've never seen a picture of them wearing these although people have said they've seen them wearing them. They look like cotton balls were glued on... Does anyone have a picture of the ladies wearing these?

Are we certain these are even Supremes gowns? They are unlike anything else style-wise from that era. This almost looks like a step back, to the "Copa" days when they were wearing tropical flowers. I can't believe Diana would wear such a thing.

supremester
07-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Ive seen a pic with Miss Ross in one of these - from early '65, I believe. I think all three were wearing them - they looked better in B&W.