PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes: the Right On album

test

blackguy69
06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
I know, another Supremes thread. I'm saying I'm sorry in advance lol. But something is bugging me to the point i needed to hear from others. As everyone here knows, it was always implied or said that 4 songs on the Right On album wasn't Mary and Cindy. And for many years I along with everyone else believed it. But when the Box set came out a few years back, as with most of you , i looked at the recording dates. It seems to me that most of the songs the tracks [[and backing tracks) were recorded between the Farewell concert and before Jeans' debut on Ed Sullivan. The more i thought about it, it seems like Mary Cindy and Jean did record the whole album, but also the Andantes or Blackberries did add vocals to the songs. Any input please.

marv2
06-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Jean says she's never recorded with anyone other than Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong.

jobeterob
06-30-2014, 07:45 PM
I still wonder if they didn't release Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me because it is so full of the Andantes. Somebody once said Motown would not care who sang on it; they would release whatever they wanted regardless of who the background was. But it seemed to me to be a lot better single than EGTRTL.

marv2
06-30-2014, 07:49 PM
I still wonder if they didn't release Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me because it is so full of the Andantes. Somebody once said Motown would not care who sang on it; they would release whatever they wanted regardless of who the background was. But it seemed to me to be a lot better single than EGTRTL.

That song was never a single and was never released on a single. "Bill When Are You Coming Back" that featured ONLY Mary Wilson, Jean Terrell and Cindy Birdsong was released as a B side of "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was an excellent song and received considerable airplay in Detroit /Toledo in early 1970. Motown may or may not have cared, but Frank Wilson sure did!

blackguy69
06-30-2014, 07:57 PM
i always that that applied to when Diana was in the group

blackguy69
06-30-2014, 07:59 PM
unless they doubles their voices, it sounds more than the 3 of them there. I do know Jean said she only recorded with amry and cindy, but that doesnt mean they slipped an Andante or 2 or a blackberry in the mix. Jean did also say that has happened

marv2
06-30-2014, 08:03 PM
unless they doubles their voices, it sounds more than the 3 of them there. I do know Jean said she only recorded with amry and cindy, but that doesnt mean they slipped an Andante or 2 or a blackberry in the mix. Jean did also say that has happened

Jean and Mary both confirmed that Jean Terrell also recorded background vocals with Mary and Cindy for a fuller sound. It is far easier to achieve three part harmonies with three voices than it was with two.

blackguy69
06-30-2014, 08:12 PM
I do know that. But you can clearly hear more that 3 voices on some tracks.

marv2
06-30-2014, 08:40 PM
I do know that. But you can clearly hear more that 3 voices on some tracks.

I never paid that close of attention. I was just a kid when this album came out in 1970 and have not listen to it in it's entirety very much since then.

blackguy69
06-30-2014, 08:42 PM
its pretty obvious on certain songs there are more than 3 voices. and Jean said they have added an extra voice when it calls for it

marv2
06-30-2014, 08:52 PM
its pretty obvious on certain songs there are more than 3 voices. and Jean said they have added an extra voice when it calls for it

I only recall any of them saying that once in reference to having Clydie King sing along with them on :"Nathan Jones". Whether any other anonoymous voices were added they were just added instrumentation ,we the public were buying the Supremes......their whole package not some unknown session singers . Mary, Jean and Cindy were the stars and who we wanted.

mowest
07-01-2014, 02:08 AM
Not all of the songs on the album were produced by Frank Wilson. On his productions I would say that it's just Jean, Mary and Cindy. The other producers' numbers are the ones having additional background singers.

supremester
07-01-2014, 02:57 AM
This was the best Supremes' side 1 in years - and the best of the Rossless Supremes side 1's as well. Each track had commercial viability and Jean is spot on each cut. Clearly, Mary and Cindy are not on Wait A Minute, Then We Can Try Again and You Move Me. It's M&C on EGTRTL, Up The Ladder [[with help) and maybe But I Love You More - but I don't think so. Generally, leads & vocals weren't even recorded the same day, so Jean saying she only recorded with M&C means zilch. I think Cindy's voice wasn't strong or colorful enough for many tracks. Certainly Mary's was, but it takes two to tango - at least. Mary & Flo were heaven. It's no insult to La Mare to be eschewed in favor of The A's.........it still a killer side 1.

blackguy69
07-01-2014, 11:34 AM
i disagree with you move me i do think its Mary and cindy. wait one minute and then we can try again are 2 of the songs in question. i would say wait one minute wasnt them but you never know same with then we can try again. i woulodnt be suprised that their voices are buried with others

marybrewster
07-01-2014, 02:14 PM
My burning question about "Right On" is the gatefold picture: why is Jean's dress so much shorter than Mary and Cindy's? It's been said Mary went on to wear Diana's dresses, and Jean went on to wear Mary's dresses, but Jean isn't THAT much taller than Mary.

And don't get me started on the missing beads from the front cover.....

supremester
07-01-2014, 02:19 PM
I always assumed that the pic weren't intended for that kind of blow up or exposure. It didn't keep me from putting the poster up on my door. I wish JMC had a stylist with them on shoots and TV appearances - they might have fared much better.

marv2
07-01-2014, 03:42 PM
My burning question about "Right On" is the gatefold picture: why is Jean's dress so much shorter than Mary and Cindy's? It's been said Mary went on to wear Diana's dresses, and Jean went on to wear Mary's dresses, but Jean isn't THAT much taller than Mary.

And don't get me started on the missing beads from the front cover.....

Jean is taller than Mary. Mary comes just up to my chin, Jean was taller than that when I first met her.

BayouMotownMan
07-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Jean is 2-3 inches taller than Mary.

Mary and Cindy are on You Move Me.

Much of the lp either had no vocals by Mary and Cindy, had them buried in the mix so far behind the Andantes that they are not audible or had the backing vocals erased in favor of the fuller sound of the Andantes.

Frank Wilson did utilize the Andantes on Supremes cuts, on some or perhaps all the backing vocals. I can hear them on Happy Is A Bumpy Road and This Is The Story. Very likely they are on Here Comes The Sunrise.

Jean recorded some backing vocals with Mary and Cindy in the her first year with the group. After a couple of hits she stopped, concentrating strictly on her lead vocals.

Crystaledwards
07-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Jean is taller than Mary. Mary comes just up to my chin, Jean was taller than that when I first met her.

Your modesty, lack of bravado and how you rarely, if ever, talk about yourself in relation to the Supremes is remarkable Marvin.

CE

Jimi LaLumia
07-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Mary was wearing Diana's dresses? how did THAT miracle of modern science take place?Mary squeezing into a Ross gown?...TOO funny..

supremester
07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Duh, I was concentrating so hard on the "yes, you do's" that I forgot they are on the other parts of the song. I don't think it's them on "Yes, you do"
Jean is 2-3 inches taller than Mary.

Mary and Cindy are on You Move Me.

Much of the lp either had no vocals by Mary and Cindy, had them buried in the mix so far behind the Andantes that they are not audible or had the backing vocals erased in favor of the fuller sound of the Andantes.

Frank Wilson did utilize the Andantes on Supremes cuts, on some or perhaps all the backing vocals. I can hear them on Happy Is A Bumpy Road and This Is The Story. Very likely they are on Here Comes The Sunrise.

Jean recorded some backing vocals with Mary and Cindy in the her first year with the group. After a couple of hits she stopped, concentrating strictly on her lead vocals.

marybrewster
07-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Mary was wearing Diana's dresses? how did THAT miracle of modern science take place?Mary squeezing into a Ross gown?...TOO funny..

That's the rumor. And I agree with you Jimi; I've always wondered how that was possible. Diana was TINY. Not that Mary was big, but Mary had a lot more curves.

But somebody had to fit into somebody's dress. And it certainly wasn't Cindy or Jean.

I suppose there is a difference between WEARING someones dress and FITTING into someones dress. Gowns can be taken in and let out, but with such beading and sequinning, you'd wonder how that's possible.

I've always wondered about shoes. Did the group have to buy all new shoes when Cindy joined? Or was she the same shoe size as Flo. I can see passing down gowns, but shoes? Seems a bit WRONG.

blackguy69
07-02-2014, 03:22 PM
If you think about it, Mary was a size or 2 larger than Diana if that so for Mary to squeeze into her dress isn't a big stretch. Since Mary had a bigger chest she did appear bigger.

daviddh
07-02-2014, 08:49 PM
someone called this album Elegant Soul, I would agree. great vocals. I think Cindys vocals are fine, she sings fine on Supremes 75 with Mary and Scherrie. not sure what the difference is.guess it just depended on the producer

franjoy56
07-10-2014, 02:04 AM

And don't get me started on the missing beads from the front cover..... in all honesty the missing beads on the right on gowns was a matter that should not have gone unnoticed before the album was released who was responsible for letting this oversight slip thru. On the other hand if the fact wasnt mentioned I would have to look twice tov visibly see missing spangles on jeans dress not mary or cindy the supremes should be given credit not just for utlttr and efgtrtl and bill, but what about then I met u, and the lovin country andsome of the others But I love u more is mary and cindy in which they appear in conjunction with the aaa's im sure. This album was the biggest album without ross, and the cover inspite of that missing row on jeans sleeve was the best looking studio cover since holland dozier holland and even that cover was two yrsn old when it came out. Right on was moving up the charts around this time in 1970 on 6/6/70s debut on billboard on its way to number 25 placing 8 spots higherr than cream of the crop which was 85 per cent andantes.The group did the best they could in what they had to work with . diana ross and the supremes gowns or not, the cover and the concept right on worked the voices within represented tne supremes if mary and cindy are not present and puting the andantes on some of the tracks made the tracks really stand out. RIGHT ON 44 yrs ago. JMC. And when they made their debut on ed sullivan the set was staged for the debut of the new supremes and Up the ladder to the roof was the key which caused everything else to follow for however long or short 1970 was a big year for the supremes.