PDA

View Full Version : Mork & Mindy and the Supremes :)

test

marybrewster
06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Watch at 3:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8RBRSTteiQ#t=207

floyjoy678
06-27-2014, 11:12 AM
I've noticed a lot of references to the Supremes on TV shows over the years, off the top of my head I remember there was a "Cheers" episode where Rebecca, Lilith and some other woman were trying to cheer up a depressed Carla and Carla says to her husband "Would you get the Supremes out of here!".

Another one I can think of is "Roseanne" where Roseanne and her co-workers are singing "Stop In the Name of Love" and her one co-worker talks about how fun it would be to form a musical act and hit the road and Roseanne says "Why? So some businessman can screw us out of royalties while we end up on welfare and die penniless?".

marybrewster
06-27-2014, 12:39 PM
I've noticed a lot of references to the Supremes on TV shows over the years, off the top of my head I remember there was a "Cheers" episode where Rebecca, Lilith and some other woman were trying to cheer up a depressed Carla and Carla says to her husband "Would you get the Supremes out of here!".

Another one I can think of is "Roseanne" where Roseanne and her co-workers are singing "Stop In the Name of Love" and her one co-worker talks about how fun it would be to form a musical act and hit the road and Roseanne says "Why? So some businessman can screw us out of royalties while we end up on welfare and die penniless?".

I've also seen the Supremes referenced on "Good Times"; Thelma, Willona and Florida sing "Stop!" at a 'rent party'; I've also seen an episode that has a picture of JML on Thelma's bedroom wall.

The Supremes were also mentioned on an episode "Designing Women", although they lip synch to "Ain't No Mountain." In another episode, Anthony is camping [[with Bernice?) and he calls himself "Cindy Birdsong."

I'm sure there are hundreds of more.....

reese
06-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Nell Carter, Telma Hopkins, and Lynne Thigpin did a girl group medley on GIMME A BREAK. They said it was their dream to be the Supremes, and Nell said that she was going to be Diana.

bradsupremes
06-27-2014, 03:09 PM
On "The Golden Girls," there was an episode where the ladies hire a maid who they think put a curse on them so in order for her to undo the curse they give her roses, a tiara, and champagne. Sophia comes home to this and says "What are we celebrating? Did the Supremes get back together?"

Recently there was an episode of "Modern Family" where Mitchell explains how Cam was hoping Mitchell would be appointed to the Supreme Court so he could go around telling people at parties "His partner is one of the Supremes!"

marv2
06-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Nell Carter, Telma Hopkins, and Lynne Thigpin did a girl group medley on GIMME A BREAK. They said it was their dream to be the Supremes, and Nell said that she was going to be Diana.

On the same show, Nell reunites with her old singing group [[played by the Pointer Sisters) and they sing "Someday We'll Be Together".

There there was the "Living Single " episode where Queen Latifah and cast play a sixties girl group and perform "Up the Ladder to the Roof" at the Apollo.

arr&bee
06-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Legend has it that when elvis backup group[the sweet inspirations]were acting up,he threatened to get the supremes.

Ngroove
06-27-2014, 11:23 PM
My earliest memory of television doing the Supremes, Laura and Judy doing "Stop! In The Name Of Love" on Family Matters. There was also an episode of Sister Sister with Tia and Tamera doing "Come See About Me", before choosing to do "You Can't Hurry Love" for a talent contest.

reese
06-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Legend has it that when elvis backup group[the sweet inspirations]were acting up,he threatened to get the supremes.

This was shown in one of Elvis' concert movies. The Sweets were joking around and Elvis threatened to replace them with the Supremes, "with Mahalia Jackson on lead."