PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Jun 24, 9P-12M ET:The REAL [[Van) McCoy...One More Time!

test

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Howdy do, Nightfliers! Tonight, part 2 of a 2-part tribute to the genius of the late Van McCoy. I'm most appreciative to Tom Moulton for joining me last week to talk about Van and his working with Van on some wonderful tracks. Tonight, we have a little more time to get into Van's blissful music and I'll share lots of tracks, some quite rare, that I found since last week's show! SO join me tonight for lyrics that will grab you and music that will take you a little closer to heaven....on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans...and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks so much. See you on the radio! John

Mark Desjardines
06-24-2014, 03:38 PM
John, looking forward to hearing you on air again after being away for two months. I seem to have lost my former profile, and with after help from Ralph, am back on this site. A spelling mistake cropped up with my last name, but what the heck.

You may not be aware that one of Van McCoy's last projects was scoring the music for Mae West's swan song film appearance, "Sextette." in 1978. Here is a little peek into a chapter on that project from my manuscript, "In Search of Mae West."

"Stanley Musgrove, Mae West's agent, assisted in looking for a composer who could work with West, and give her material that would make her look good. Paul Williams came up to West's Ravenswood Apartment to discuss composing the Sextette musical score. According to Musgrove’s journal notes, “She loathed him on sight. I don’t think he’ll get the job.” In the end, veteran rhythm and blues arranger and producer, Van McCoy was hired to score the film, and his subtle disco arrangements brought a contemporary feel to the picture. West had eight musical numbers in the film and she told Kevin Thomas, film critic for the Los Angeles Times, “Isn’t that funny. Instead of using the “Wedding March” [[for the scene when West enters her honeymoon hotel lobby with new husband, Timothy Dalton) they play “Hooray for Hollywood.”

According to Musgrove, Paul Novak, her long time companion, told him the dailies of Sextette he’d seen "Aren’t so good and that the musical numbers will have to save the picture.”

Along with roles for Timothy Dalton, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Alice Cooper, amongst others, Van McCoy had a small roll in the film as well.

No official soundtrack was ever released, however there was a promotional cassette tape that was included in a press kit for the film, which I have been able to obtain.

ralpht
06-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Welcome back, Mark. Good to have you again.

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
To echo Ralph......Mark....welcome back!!! You have been missed, my friend! So glad you will be listening in tonight. As far as the "Sextette" score goes....I am aware of Van's involvement in it, and I just happen to have a track, slated for airing tonight on the show, that was dropped from the film....quite a remarkable beautiful song by an artist I never imagined would be singing a Van McCoy track!! If you don't mind...before I play the track, I'd love to share what you have posted above with the listening audience. Once again...welcome back...good to see you here! John

sophisticated_soul
06-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Loved The Real McCoys! But I don't remember much music. Hmmm:confused:

Mark Desjardines
06-24-2014, 06:19 PM
John;
Thanks for asking, and of course you may use the info posted above. In Mae West's own original script for for "She Done Him Wrong," she wrote the lines "Finest woman that ever walked the streets," as the dialogue for setting up her first appearance in the open landau in that film. To me, Mae West was the finest woman I never met! Mark

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Mark....."The finest woman...." line..........absolutely PRICELESS$$$$$$$$!

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Loved The Real McCoys! But I don't remember much music. Hmmm:confused:
8245 Howdy there, Joseph!!

MotownLover
06-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Anxiously awaiting the show...

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Howard.....great to see you!

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 08:58 PM
....in the studio.....Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

144man
06-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Good morning John and all.

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Good morning John and all.

Martin....how loverly! Greetings!!!

kenneth
06-24-2014, 09:35 PM
John;
Thanks for asking, and of course you may use the info posted above. In Mae West's own original script for for "She Done Him Wrong," she wrote the lines "Finest woman that ever walked the streets," as the dialogue for setting up her first appearance in the open landau in that film. To me, Mae West was the finest woman I never met! Mark

My favorite quote of hers was "I can resist everything except temptation!"

sophisticated_soul
06-24-2014, 09:52 PM
The Real McCoy

kenneth
06-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Just joined in. I had no idea McCoy worked on "Cabinessence." His versatility is astounding.

Mark Desjardines
06-24-2014, 10:31 PM
John, I've been enjoying your touching and knowledgeable tribute to the wide ranging musical vision of Van McCoy. One can only imagine what further greatness Van could have attained if he had been given more years on this earth. Thankfully he did not waste the precious few years he had, and kept busy right to the end. Thank you for the great effort you took collecting together Van's wealth of musical magic to share with us!

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Just joined in. I had no idea McCoy worked on "Cabinessence." His versatility is astounding.

Hey there, Kenneth....welcome!!

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 10:41 PM
John, I've been enjoying your touching and knowledgeable tribute to the wide ranging musical vision of Van McCoy. One can only imagine what further greatness Van could have attained if he had been given more years on this earth. Thankfully he did not waste the precious few years he had, and kept busy right to the end. Thank you for the great effort you took collecting together Van's wealth of musical magic to share with us!

Mark....thank you so much for that. Know that the work was such a pleasure...and often very exciting ....finding so many songs I had no idea existed....and to find so many that he sang...with that voice that was a beautiful as his writing, composing , arranging and all. I am most appreciative of your kindness!

144man
06-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Never heard the Choice Four's version of "When You're Young And In Love" before. Van McCoy's songs are so pretty.

kenneth
06-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Never heard the Choice Four's version of "When You're Young And In Love" before. Van McCoy's songs are so pretty.

I've never even heard of Choice Four before. Wow, what a great sounding group. I checked Amazon and it looks like they only have one CD, and it's priced at $150 from a couple different sellers!

kenneth
06-24-2014, 10:59 PM
So just what was a "tabulation?" Carole Cucumber, where are you? I think I heard once it was the little bits of paper which would come out of the "punch" when you processed a punch card. [[All you young folks have no idea what I'm talking about, I know.) But I don't know if I read that somewhere or I just dreamed it up...?

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 11:05 PM
I've never even heard of Choice Four before. Wow, what a great sounding group. I checked Amazon and it looks like they only have one CD, and it's priced at $150 from a couple different sellers!

Wowwwwwwwwwwww......there are a number of tracks on youtube and also you can find some on Grooveshark.

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 11:08 PM
So just what was a "tabulation?" Carole Cucumber, where are you? I think I heard once it was the little bits of paper which would come out of the "punch" when you processed a punch card. [[All you young folks have no idea what I'm talking about, I know.) But I don't know if I read that somewhere or I just dreamed it up...?

Well....one definition is ....to tabulate....to calculate

kenneth
06-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Well....one definition is ....to tabulate....to calculate

Yes you are indeed correct. I checked and those things in the punch cards are called "chads." How could I forget that...? Remember the hanging chads, the pregnant chads, all that 2004 election Kabuki theatre?

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Yes you are indeed correct. I checked and those things in the punch cards are called "chads." How could I forget that...? Remember the hanging chads, the pregnant chads, all that 2004 election Kabuki theatre?

Mannnnn....who can forget that....

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Hey y'all.....THANKS for joining me for the tribute to Van.......hope you enjoyed it! Next week....either TCMS or TCIS.....see ya next week!

kenneth
06-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Great show, Johnny! Had no idea McCoy worked with so many different artists. So sad that he passed so young. I'm sure you played it last week, wasn't "The Hustle" generally acknowledged to be the very first disco record?

midnight johnny
06-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Kenneth....thanks so much! I think there are a couple of other songs that a vying for that glorious title......

sophisticated_soul
06-24-2014, 11:55 PM
Great show John! So many wonderful songs I had never heard before! Thanks all. See y'all next time.:cool:

144man
06-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Great show. Missed the first couple of minutes. Was that The Van McCoy Strings "Sweet and Easy" you played?

midnight johnny
06-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Great show John! So many wonderful songs I had never heard before! Thanks all. See y'all next time.:cool:Thanks, Joseph.

midnight johnny
06-25-2014, 12:26 AM
Great show. Missed the first couple of minutes. Was that The Van McCoy Strings "Sweet and Easy" you played? Martin....thanks so much! Yes...."Sweet And Easy"...which is the backing track to Brenda and the Tabulations "A Love You Can Depend On".