PDA

View Full Version : Chuck mangione- main squeeze

test

arrr&bee
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey gang,is it me or does this lp sound and awful lot like something that herb alpert does? Was chuck going for that sound with this one?it's not bad just sounds like herb anyone else get this feeling?

ms_m
11-08-2010, 06:44 AM
I don't hear a Herb Alpert vibe. If I were to compare a trumpet player's sound with Chuck's sound, it would be Miles. He had the ability to give his trumpet that fat, dark, moody sound of a flugelhorn. Herb's stuff was too pop and simple for my taste. Full disclosure, I'm a big Mangione fan, Alpert, not too much.:)

arrr&bee
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
i don't hear a herb alpert vibe. If i were to compare a trumpet player's sound with chuck's sound, it would be miles. He had the ability to give his trumpet that fat, dark, moody sound of a flugelhorn. Herb's stuff was too pop and simple for my taste. Full disclosure, i'm a big mangione fan, alpert, not too much.:)that's what i mean ms.m this one has that sorta happy pop feel with not much direction one way or another just floating around,i've always found chuck's work to have more substance.

ms_m
11-08-2010, 02:29 PM
After the success of Feel So Good [[which is good but not my fave) I think he was trying to become more acceptable to main stream so I understand where you coming from.

The best and only way to truly appreciate Chuck Mangione [[imo) is live, preferably outdoors. Hearing his flugelhorn under the stars is a feeling like no other I have ever experienced. I guess that's why Live At Hollywood Bowl is my fave CD but it still doesn't quite capture being there.

ms_m
11-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Jai, now that I think about it, the better way to put it, he wanted [[or maybe it was his label) wanted more radio friendly songs. One example that comes to mind is, Chase The Clouds Away. The radio version sucks as far as I'm concerned. The longer version is magnificent. Another is, Children of Sanchez, a brilliant piece. So I agree, his work as a general rule has much more substance but not necessarily palpable for radio.

arrr&bee
11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Ms_m always a pleasure talking to you[wit yo fine self]thanks for your excellent response,look forward to our next conversation..your fan-jai!!