jobeterob
06-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Concert Review
Diana Ross
CMAC PAC
Canandaigua, NY
Wednesday June 18, 2014
Review: Joseph Suto

Every now and then an artist tries to resist being put out to pasture so to speak. Diana Ross is doing a great job in trying to defy father time as she made a stop at the Marvin Sands-Constellation Brands Performing Arts Center Wednesday evening. Ross proved to be in strong voice and the smile she had on her face for most of the show reaffirmed her love for still being able to perform for her adoring fans. The feeling was mutual because the minute Ross first appeared the crowd were on their feet.

Ross took the stage at promptly at 8:00 P.M. to the sounds of “I’m Coming Out”. By the time she was four songs into her ninety minute set she pulled off something you don’t see everyday as she dusted off some of her Supremes songs. These were not just your average songs, in fact all five reached the top of the charts. These were all certified number one smashes that began with “Come See About Me” and concluded with “Love Child”. In between “Baby Love”, “Stop! In The Name Of Love” and “You Can’t Hurry Love” did their best to take the crowd back to a simpler time.

Other highlights included “Touch Me In The Morning” and “Upside Down” the latter which was culled from her biggest selling studio record to date Diana which was released in 1980.

Incidentally “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” was her first solo hit to reach number one and a song she holds dear to her was followed by the Gloria Gaynor cover “I Will Survive” which ended the main set.

She came back twice as the first encore featured the first single she released as a solo artist “Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)”. Ross left the crowd with the biggest selling single of her solo career “Endless Love” before reprising a second time with “I Will Survive”.

Diana Ross clearly ranks as one of the greatest singers of our time, or any time for that matter. With over 100 million albums sold as well as being a part of nineteen number one hits those two facts alone clearly justify it. Ross is an icon who has received many accolades and deservedly so. Judging by the crowd’s response Wednesday evening it appears she’ll be wowing more audiences as she eases on down the road.

Set List
I’m Coming Out
More Today Than Yesterday [[Spiral Staircase cover)

Supremes Set
My World Is Empty Without You
Come See About Me
Baby Love
Stop! In The Name Of Love
You Can’t Hurry Love
Love Child

The Boss
Touch Me In The Morning
Upside Down
Love Hangover/Take Me Higher/ Ease On Down The Road
Don’t Explain
Why Do Fools Fall In Love [[Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)
Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know You’re Going To)
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
I Will Survive [[Gloria Gaynor cover)
Encore
Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)
I Will Survive [[Reprise)
Encore 2
Endless Love
I Will Survive [[Reprise)
Special thanks to Lynn Freida for assisting us in reviewing the show

theboyfromxtown
06-23-2014, 04:57 AM
I hope I have her energy at 70!

Wasn't she at Madison Square Gardens last night too?

captainjames
06-23-2014, 09:22 AM
I hope I have her energy when I am 60.

reese
06-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Wasn't she at Madison Square Gardens last night too?

She was, and it was a great show. It was the same set list as above [[minus COME SEE ABOUT ME and ENDLESS LOVE, and adding WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO and THE LOOK OF LOVE). I had seen Diana earlier in the week in Massachusetts and enjoyed it very much, but the Madison Square Garden show was even better. The crowd was on its feet the entire night, only sitting during the rare ballads.

Bokiluis
06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE

Diana Ross clearly ranks as one of the greatest singers of our time, or any time for that matter. With over 100 million albums sold as well as being a part of nineteen number one hits those two facts alone clearly justify it. Ross is an icon who has received many accolades and deservedly so. Judging by the crowd’s response Wednesday evening it appears she’ll be wowing more audiences as she eases on down the road. [Quote ended]]:

Wow! They actually get her list of #1s/19 correct, now that she finally accepted credit for the huge sampling of her voice on Notorious B.IG.'s "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" [[released during the fabricated east coast/west coast rap wars, Diana had reluctantly resisted getting "featuring Diana Ross" credit.
[[20 if you counted "We Are the World" but few but Michael and Lionel claim that one).

midnight johnny
06-23-2014, 07:49 PM

Wasn't she at Madison Square Gardens last night too? Well, you shouldn't lose TOO much energy by next year [[*grin).

smark21
06-23-2014, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE

Diana Ross clearly ranks as one of the greatest singers of our time, or any time for that matter. With over 100 million albums sold as well as being a part of nineteen number one hits those two facts alone clearly justify it. Ross is an icon who has received many accolades and deservedly so. Judging by the crowd’s response Wednesday evening it appears she’ll be wowing more audiences as she eases on down the road. [Quote ended]]:

Wow! They actually get her list of #1s/19 correct, now that she finally accepted credit for the huge sampling of her voice on Notorious B.IG.'s "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" [[released during the fabricated east coast/west coast rap wars, Diana had reluctantly resisted getting "featuring Diana Ross" credit.
[[20 if you counted "We Are the World" but few but Michael and Lionel claim that one).

Danielle Steele has plenty of #1 best selling novels, that doesn't make her a great writer. Fans like bokiluis who get way too much into charts and sales are superficial types and social outcasts who sadly turn to sales to feel socially validated.

jobeterob
06-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 10:45 pm | Updated: 12:18 pm, Tue Jun 24, 2014.

BY STEPHEN PETERSON SUN CHRONICLE STAFF | 0 comments

DIANA ROSS PROVES SHE'S A TRUE SURVIVOR

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. - The last song of the concert, a cover of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," pretty much sums up the lengthy career of Diana Ross that has had its ups and downs but overall has been one of much success.

The ground-breaking rhythm and blues and pop singer brought her extensive catalog of Supremes and solo hits Sunday night to the Grand Theater at Foxwoods.

Backed by a crack, 12-piece band that featured three backup singers - two of them men, four horn players, two guitarists, two drummers and a pianist, Ross, 70, certainly didn't show her age in looks, mobility or voice.

Kicking off with "I'm Coming Out" from 1980, Ross took no break between most songs except for several costume changes.

Initially wearing a red outfit, Ross sang a cover of Spiral Staircase's "More Today Than Yesterday" that segued into The Supremes "My World Is Empty Without You."

Mentioning "Motown sound," the pop diva known as the "First Lady of Motown" continued with Supremes tunes, including "Where Did Our Love Go?," "Baby Love," "Stop in the Name of Love," "You Can't Hurry Love," and "Love Child."

The latter song was dragged out with solos by band members as Ross changed into a white coat and sparkling silver dress.

The stunning No. 1 "Touch Me In the Morning" showcased the pianist.

After introducing the band, the tempo picked up with the 1980 disco anthem "Upside Down" that had many dancing.

"Love Hangover," a No. 1 hit of Ross's from 1976, was followed by "Take Me Higher" and "Ease On Down the Road" before the show slowed its pace down for some jazz and blue songs that displayed Ross's versatility.

The saxophone player was front and center for Ross, now in a sparkling blue dress.

Another cover song, "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" that Frankie Lymon had done, led into "Do You Know Where You're Going To," a chart topper from 1976.

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough," the old Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell tune that Ross took to No. 1, closed the opening set.

Ross and her band left the stage during "I Will Survive" before returning to finish off the lengthy version of the number. Most of the band members set up along the front of the stage and many soloed.

The stage was simpler than many of Ross's shows the past decade, but that let the focus be more on the music.

Having been the lead singer of the three-member Supremes in the 1960s, Ross left that female supergroup in 1970 for a solo and acting career and was the biggest female pop star of that decade into the 80s.