PDA

View Full Version : 1966-the best year of the sixties for black artist?

test

arr&bee
06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Hey gang,i'm not talking about sales figures but the number of black singers who had hits the magical year,not motown[we all know what they did]but the little known or unknowns who came and went that year...j.j.jackson[but i's alright]..roscoe robinson[baby that's enough]..lou rawl[love is a hurting thing]..bobby moore and the rhythm aces[seaching for my baby]..the players[he'll be back]..the artistics[i'm gonna miss you]..eddie holman[this can't be true]..darrell banks[open the door ]..the poets[she blew a good thing]..johnny and the expressions[something i wanna tell you]..howard tate[ain't nobody home]j.j.barnes[real humdinger]bobby hebb[sunny]now this is not a complete list of course but you get the idea,now there may have been others years maybe in the fifties with doo-wop but i'm talking about so many having big hits,some continued some didn't,any observations on this?

marv2
06-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Hey gang,i'm not talking about sales figures but the number of black singers who had hits the magical year,not motown[we all know what they did]but the little known or unknowns who came and went that year...j.j.jackson[but i's alright]..roscoe robinson[baby that's enough]..lou rawl[love is a hurting thing]..bobby moore and the rhythm aces[seaching for my baby]..the players[he'll be back]..the artistics[i'm gonna miss you]..eddie holman[this can't be true]..darrell banks[open the door ]..the poets[she blew a good thing]..johnny and the expressions[something i wanna tell you]..howard tate[ain't nobody home]j.j.barnes[real humdinger]bobby hebb[sunny]now this is not a complete list of course but you get the idea,now there may have been others years maybe in the fifties with doo-wop but i'm talking about so many having big hits,some continued some didn't,any observations on this?

I agree with you about 1966 and being a special year in music, especially R&B. I see you have already mentioned the first record that came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread [[Darrell Banks "Open the Door ....."). let me reflect a moment before I contribute.....

soulster
06-23-2014, 12:03 AM
I first thought of "Cool Jerk" by The Capitols.

Now, I don't know if it is statistically true that 1966 was the best year for Black artists in the 60s, but it's high up there. I think a case could also be made for 1968.

There is no doubt that both Motown and Stax/Atlantic played a major role in opening the door to Black artist and the music.

arr&bee
06-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Good points soulster,but i guess the point i'm trying to get across is that it seemed thatevery black singer who went into a recording studio in[66]came out with a hit song,their fifteen minutes of fame.

Soul Sister
06-28-2014, 10:40 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Would add more to your list bro R & B, but no time at this time.

S.S.

Here's a couple quickies:
Ooo Baby Baby - Miracles
World of Fantasy - The 5 Stairsteps
I Do - Billy Stewart
When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge
United - The intruders
Happy Man - The Jive Five
Sunny - Bobby Hebb
You Better Go - Derek Martin
Hold On I'm Comin` - Sam & Dave
I Love You One Thousand Times - The Platters [[Sonny Turner)
Boogalu Down Broadway - The Fantastic Johnny C
Funky Broadway _ Dyke & The Blazers
I'm In Love - Wilson Pickett
Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - James Brown
Love Makes The World Go Round - Deon Jackson
Cool Jerk/Hello Stranger - The Capitols
Please Baby Please - The Reallistics / Sensations

So many great ones, no time to think of and list right now.

nysister
06-28-2014, 08:04 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Would add more to your list bro R & B, but no time at this time.

S.S.

Here's a couple quickies:
Ooo Baby Baby - Miracles
World of Fantasy - The 5 Stairsteps
I Do - Billy Stewart
When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge
United - The intruders
Happy Man - The Jive Five
Sunny - Bobby Hebb
You Better Go - Derek Martin
Hold On I'm Comin` - Sam & Dave
I Love You One Thousand Times - The Platters [[Sonny Turner)
Boogalu Down Broadway - The Fantastic Johnny C
Funky Broadway _ Dyke & The Blazers
I'm In Love - Wilson Pickett
Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - James Brown
Love Makes The World Go Round - Deon Jackson
Cool Jerk/Hello Stranger - The Capitols
Please Baby Please - The Reallistics / Sensations

So many great ones, no time to think of and list right now.

All I can say is WOW!

roger
06-29-2014, 07:01 AM
One of the biggest Soul acts in Britain in 1966 was LEE DORSEY, who had 2 Top-10 hits [["Holy Cow" and "Working In The Coalmine") and also charted with "Get Out Of My Life Woman" and "Confusion".

I see "Working In The Coalmine" was also a Top 10 hit in the U.S. so that should be added to the list ... :)

Roger

Soul Sister
06-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Just thought of a few more:
"Function At The Junction" - Shorty Long
"Bernadette" - The Four Tops
"Bad Luck"/"My Luck Is Bound To Change" - Bobby Lee
"I Can't Stand For You To Leave" - Joe Valentine
"My Girl Sloopy" _ The Vibrations
"I Do" - The Marvellos
"Here's A Heart" - The Presidents
"Reunited", etc..- Peaches [[Francine Barker) & Herb
"I'm Still Waiting" - The Bluebells
"It's Gonna Take A Miracle" - The Royalettes
Can't think of: The Toys hit
[[Cannot think of the correct title): "It's The Last Train To Jacksonville" - Freddy [[?)

THE MANHATTANS :
Can I
"I'm The One Love Forgot"
"Searchin' For My Baby"

I believe most of these were in 1966, though a couple may be wrong [[?).

S.S.

144man
06-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Soul Sister,

The track you can't remember the title of is "Are You Lonely For Me Baby" by Freddie Scott.

arr&bee
06-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Great list sis,how could i forget the blubells incredible[i'm still waiting]patti soars on that one.

Soul Sister
06-30-2014, 12:38 PM
YES!!! Thank you, 144man,
These moments of memory loss when you get older sucks big time!
I knew it was Freddy Scott so well yet it just wasn't coming to mind, lol.....

S.S.