PDA

View Full Version : Just curious/WDOLG

test

thanxal
06-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Just curious... how many of you broke out your 45 and listened again like I did? How wonderful.

144man
06-19-2014, 07:36 PM
When I bought the WDOLG album, I gave away my 45 copy.

arr&bee
06-19-2014, 08:06 PM
I enjoy[the tears]much more,mary's lead is a killer.

marybrewster
06-20-2014, 01:13 PM
This LP had an amazing SIX singles released from it; spanning from June, 1963 to October, 1964. Surely this has to be the most releases from a single Supremes LP?

theboyfromxtown
06-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Apart from Greatest Hits packages, I can only think of the Four Tops bettering that in the UK...with 7 single releases from Reach Out.

reese
06-20-2014, 06:21 PM
This LP had an amazing SIX singles released from it; spanning from June, 1963 to October, 1964. Surely this has to be the most releases from a single Supremes LP?

Technically, four of the singles were released before the WDOLG album even existed. When WDOLG hit, Motown basicially ended up compiling an album by using the most recent 45 releases, and adding on five new songs.

marv2
06-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Just curious... how many of you broke out your 45 and listened again like I did? How wonderful.

Shit that 45 is scratched, dusty moldy in my mom's basement somewhere. All had was the one copy from when it was originally released. LOL! We got the album some months later.

Methuselah2
06-21-2014, 09:31 AM
In 1963, I loved WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS SHINING THROUGH HIS EYES. But at that time, there was very little attention to the group singing it. By the time I purchased the WDOLG album more than a year later, I remember being flabbergasted that it contained WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS--I had never made the connection with that tune to The Supremes.

The WDOLG single was played to death on Philadelphia radio during the summer of 1964. I have never heard any single played so much--it was relentless! The term 'rotation' wasn't really used back then, and it really wouldn't have applied anyway because the airplay didn't seem like a rotation for WDOLG--it seemed constant! And oh! that transitor radio! glued to my ear! back in the day. I definitely didn't like WDOLG at the time. But years later, I couldn't help but notice how special that recording really is.

Is it perfect? Well, close. The only thing about it that I find lacking is that it sounds like a duet. I hear Diana, I hear Mary, but Flo I don't hear at all. Had the cycle of not everyone in the group being included on recordings already started so soon?

marv2
06-21-2014, 10:14 AM
In 1963, I loved WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS SHINING THROUGH HIS EYES. But at that time, there was very little attention to the group singing it. By the time I purchased the WDOLG album more than a year later, I remember being flabbergasted that it contained WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS--I had never made the connection with that tune to The Supremes.

The WDOLG single was played to death on Philadelphia radio during the summer of 1964. I have never heard any single played so much--it was relentless! The term 'rotation' wasn't really used back then, and it really wouldn't have applied anyway because the airplay didn't seem like a rotation for WDOLG--it seemed constant! And oh! that transitor radio! glued to my ear! back in the day. I definitely didn't like WDOLG at the time. But years later, I couldn't help but notice how special that recording really is.

Is it perfect? Well, close. The only thing about it that I find lacking is that it sounds like a duet. I hear Diana, I hear Mary, but Flo I don't hear at all. Had the cycle of not everyone in the group being included on recordings already started so soon?

It has always sounded like a duet to me. I have never heard Flo's voice on "Where Did Our Love Go? " in 50 years! Not even once.........

milven
06-21-2014, 11:47 AM
It has always sounded like a duet to me. I have never heard Flo's voice on "Where Did Our Love Go? " in 50 years! Not even once.........

I wish I had the ears you guys have. I have trouble telling Andantes from Supremes. I know Mary's voice and can sometimes hear it if the background voices aren't muted as they were on so many Supremes records like MY WORLD

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Mary Wilson checked this out some time ago and wrote that the reason was because Florence was asked to stand further back from the microphone. That would explain why Mary's voice shines on those backgrounds.

Methuselah2
06-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Tbfxt - That's a really interesting tidbit and would certainly explain the final effect. But they must have had Flo stand so far back until she was outside of Hitsville, on the lawn! I guess HDH felt that Diana's lead vocal had to be the crux of the recording in order for the song to work as they wanted. And that it did, with the added touch of Mary's voice being nice and clear. Flo's voice on this tune might have thrown the balance of their voices off from what HDH wanted to hear. Flo had a very musical voice--it was even musical when she simply spoke. And Mary's voice this time heightened added its rich deepness and smokiness to the proceedings where everything was dependent on the voices. But it's ironic that the big hit that brought The Supremes to the forefront would turn out to sound like Flo wasn't even there.

I must also say how much I enjoyed your posting in another thread about Cal's remark about Diana's voice on WDOLG: "Cal Street insists that Diana had the best voice for that song." It was a lovely thing for Cal to have said. And it also provided a beautiful glimpse of who Cal is. Your posting it is a great example of what is so terrific about SDF. I makes sure remarkable moments like that one are not lost. Thank you very much.

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2014, 07:03 PM
My pleasure Methuselah2 but there are many leaned people on this forum who could have given you the same information. I was probably the first to see your post.

Cal explained to me that a singer needs to be able to feel the song, and for it to have a structure whereby each line follows on from one before. A bit like telling a story. Cal didn't feel that song WDOLG and didn't want to record it. The Supremes weren't keen on the song either but they did record their vocals

johnjeb
06-22-2014, 07:51 AM

Exactly why I think this album should be available on vinyl. I would buy it once again. I imagine anyone who currently buys vinyl and collects music would strongly consider this album containing The Supremes' first three #1 hits.

The only Motown albums I continue to see on vinyl are What's Going On and Let's Get It On from Marvin Gaye. A few years ago I think The Supremes' I Hear A Symphony was released on vinyl. I think the WDOLG album would have been a better selection. Maybe it's not too late to have it released for the 50th Anniversary.

nabob
06-22-2014, 07:46 PM
I wish I had the ears you guys have. I have trouble telling Andantes from Supremes. I know Mary's voice and can sometimes hear it if the background voices aren't muted as they were on so many Supremes records like MY WORLDThat makes two of us. I get so jealous of everyone's talents to hear and make the distinctions.

The only Motown albums I continue to see on vinyl are What's Going On and Let's Get It On from Marvin Gaye. A few years ago I think The Supremes' I Hear A Symphony was released on vinyl. I think the WDOLG album would have been a better selection. Maybe it's not too late to have it released for the 50th Anniversary.Don't hold me to this, but I vaguely remember seeing WDOLG on 180 gm vinyl in a Toronto store that specializes in vinyl back in 2010. I've been known to be wrong before. I can definitely say that the two Marvin albums and several Stevie Wonder albums were on sale at that store. This link doesn't show Stevie's or the two Marvin albums mentioned above, but there is a surprise for anyone who might be a collector:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/

Investing the time in specific searches will show detailals of Sing HDH, Join the Tempts, the recent UK Meet the Sups, Gettin' Ready in other stores.

RossHolloway
06-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Tbfxt - That's a really interesting tidbit and would certainly explain the final effect. But they must have had Flo stand so far back until she was outside of Hitsville, on the lawn! I guess HDH felt that Diana's lead vocal had to be the crux of the recording in order for the song to work as they wanted. And that it did, with the added touch of Mary's voice being nice and clear. Flo's voice on this tune might have thrown the balance of their voices off from what HDH wanted to hear. Flo had a very musical voice--it was even musical when she simply spoke. And Mary's voice this time heightened added its rich deepness and smokiness to the proceedings where everything was dependent on the voices. But it's ironic that the big hit that brought The Supremes to the forefront would turn out to sound like Flo wasn't even there.

I must also say how much I enjoyed your posting in another thread about Cal's remark about Diana's voice on WDOLG: "Cal Street insists that Diana had the best voice for that song." It was a lovely thing for Cal to have said. And it also provided a beautiful glimpse of who Cal is. Your posting it is a great example of what is so terrific about SDF. I makes sure remarkable moments like that one are not lost. Thank you very much.

I think Mary's and Flo's voices just blended so well that it sounds like Florence isn't there, but listen to the live version of My World Is Empty Without You on the Expanded I Hear A Symphony album, you can clearly hear Florence ab-libbing some parts, but blends into Mary's voice on the background vocals. Flo's microphone isn't turned down but her voice just blends in with Mary's voice to the point that you can't really hear her when she sings.