PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Jun17, 9P-12M ET: Van McCoy Tribute w/ guest Tom Moulton!

test

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Howdy, Nightfliers! Tonight...a very special tribute. We know the late, great Van McCoy was responsible for "The Hustle". But this genius of a writer, arranger, conductor, producer, and quite a wonderful singer was responsible for so much more than that. Van's gorgeous musical imprint touched so many artists and groups...David Ruffin, Brenda and the Tabulations, Choice Four, the Marvelettes, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Donny Hathaway, Faith Hope & Charity, The Statesmen who became The Presidents who became Anacostia, and so many more. In doing the research for this show, always trying to find fresh songs for you, I found so many more artists and tracks that I didn't know about prior to this show....and some of these rare tracks have become absolute favorites of mine. In planning this tribute to Van, I thought it would be important to have someone as a guest on the show who knew Van personally and professionally who could really talk with us about Van in a first hand way. So, my very special guest tonight is genius music mixer Tom Moulton....thanks so much, Tom! So do join us tonight for some gorgeous music created by the heavenly hand of the amazing Van McCoy. All that and more...tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks so much! John

sophisticated_soul
06-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Moulton, McCoy & MJ! What a Nightflight!:cool:
John, looking forward to joining you and the gang for a night of great music. So good to have Tom Moulton back, he always has such fascinating insights.:)
I KNOW you will be playing your excellent, extended mix of Brenda & The Tabulations classic "One Girl Too Late" but I'll request it anyway.;)

honest man
06-17-2014, 03:01 PM
[MJ thoughi will not be listening to your show UK time.Would you treat your listeners to a beautiful Van McCoy double by Kenny Shepard,a60s AandB single. What Difference Does It Make[heard first at Northern Soul Doos] and the beautiful Try To Understand,the writer-producer was gone far to soon along with Bert Burns,these 2 men were amazing.cheers.MJ

Glenpwood
06-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Look forward to listening to you and Tom tonight, John, see you here at nine!

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Moulton, McCoy & MJ! What a Nightflight!:cool:
John, looking forward to joining you and the gang for a night of great music. So good to have Tom Moulton back, he always has such fascinating insights.:)
I KNOW you will be playing your excellent, extended mix of Brenda & The Tabulations classic "One Girl Too Late" but I'll request it anyway.;)

Will do...see you soon....

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 08:53 PM
[MJ thoughi will not be listening to your show UK time.Would you treat your listeners to a beautiful Van McCoy double by Kenny Shepard,a60s AandB single. What Difference Does It Make[heard first at Northern Soul Doos] and the beautiful Try To Understand,the writer-producer was gone far to soon along with Bert Burns,these 2 men were amazing.cheers.MJ

honest....thanks for the 2 songs.....I've compiled 4 cds worth...I don't know how I missed those!!!

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Glen....I'm looking forward to your listening...and your being there...

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 08:59 PM
....in the studio....Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

144man
06-17-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm getting used to this. Woke up one minute before my alarm was due to go off.
Good morning, John. Looking forward to lots of great Van McCoy tracks I've never heard before.

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm getting used to this. Woke up one minute before my alarm was due to go off.
Good morning, John. Looking forward to lots of great Van McCoy tracks I've never heard before.

Martin...welcome....so glad you're here for the Van tribute!!!

MotownLover
06-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Love the show tonight!! These music productions are absolutely beautimous!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :D

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Love the show tonight!! These music productions are absolutely beautimous!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :D

Howard,,,,hello....great to see you!!

144man
06-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Never knew the Tabulations weren't on some of the Brenda & Tabulations' records. Thank heavens nothing like that ever happened with the Supremes or we'd never hear the end of it:)

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Never knew the Tabulations weren't on some of the Brenda & Tabulations' records. Thank heavens nothing like that ever happened with the Supremes or we'd never hear the end of it:)

How hard could it be to change the gender of a Tabulation [[*grin)?

Glenpwood
06-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Great interview with Tom, always has great stories to share.....

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Great interview with Tom, always has great stories to share.....

Thanks, Glen...I enjoy Tom too!

sophisticated_soul
06-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks John! Such a lovely song and such a special mix.:cool:

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks John! Such a lovely song and such a special mix.:cool:

Thank you, Joseph!!

144man
06-17-2014, 11:43 PM
I've never thought Barbara Lewis was pitchy in "Baby I'm Yours". If she is, I'll say that it adds to the record's charm. Never realised that Jackie Wilson's "I've Lost You" was Van McCoy. Good to hear again.

midnight johnny
06-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Well....so....thanks to you all for letting me into your life for a little while....more Van next week....cause I got so MUCH, ya know? Have a great week and weekend

sophisticated_soul
06-17-2014, 11:55 PM
I've never thought Barbara Lewis was pitchy in "Baby I'm Yours". If she is, I'll say that it adds to the record's charm.

I agree I've always thought of the song as a perfect combination of singer and song. There have been a number of decent covers by artists I enjoy, but none capture the simplicity of the song as well as Barbara.

144man
06-17-2014, 11:58 PM
Dawn is breaking here, so Good Morning, John. Thanks for a great show, and my suggestion for next week GK&P's "Lovers Always Forgive".

sophisticated_soul
06-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Night All. See you next time.:cool: