PDA

View Full Version : Supremes’ First No. 1 Hit Released 50 Years Ago Today June 16th

test

milven
06-16-2014, 09:49 PM
LOS ANGELES [[June 16, 2014) “Where Did Our Love Go” was the Supremes’ first number one hit, but Mary Wilson says when she first it, she thought the song would torpedo their fledgling careers as singers.

Wilson says she complained to the producers about the song, which was released 50 years ago.

She said she felt that if the song flopped, their parents would pull the plug on their singing career and send them off to college.

Wilson said it wasn't until they were on tour with other Motown acts that they realized the song had taken off.

And because it did, she, Diana Ross and Florence Ballard got to fly home, instead of taking the bus.

Wilson said it was the first time they had ever been on a plane

http://www.kwtx.com/news/entertainment/headlines/Supremes-First-No-1-Hit-Released-50-Years-Ago-263343451.html

mowest
06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
By the time they appeared at the Brooklyn Fox theater around Labor Day, 1964, they were stars. The audience went crazy when they sang "Where Did Our Love Go!" It was a great show.

thanxal
06-17-2014, 02:10 AM
No matter how much you loved their stuff before this, it all started today, 50 years ago. I wish nothing but the best for Mary, Diana, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Sherrie and Susaye. Flo will always remain in our hearts.

RossHolloway
06-17-2014, 09:10 AM
1964 was indeed the breakout year for the Supremes and Motown.

Zantellor
06-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Baby,Baby, Where did fifty years go?

daviddh
06-17-2014, 07:02 PM
thought it was June 17th??? anyway, great song

arr&bee
06-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Talk about luck,what would've happened had the marvelettes not turned it down?

marv2
06-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Supremes. Thank you Mary!

thomas96
06-17-2014, 09:45 PM
1964 was indeed the breakout year for the Supremes and Motown.

How can you say it was the breakout year for Motown?? Unless you mean "the Supremes with Motown."

144man
06-17-2014, 09:53 PM
How can you say it was the breakout year for Motown?? Unless you mean "the Supremes with Motown."

It was in a global context.

franjoy56
06-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Supremes. Thank you Mary! by september 64 I had tired of wdolg, I heard the song on the rsdio overtime. When the griup] came to the broolyn fox I got an autograh from rosalind of the vandellas and nine other diana ross

midnightman
06-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Talk about luck,what would've happened had the marvelettes not turned it down?

The Marvelettes weren't given the song. HDH gave it squarely to the Supremes.

144man
06-18-2014, 12:06 AM
The Marvelettes weren't given the song. HDH gave it squarely to the Supremes.

There are definite inconsistencies in the recollection of events by the people who were involved.

franjoy56
06-18-2014, 01:29 AM
by september 64 I had tired of wdolg, I heard the song on the rsdio overtime. When the group came to the broolyn fox I got an autograh from rosalind of the vandellas and none other than diana ross
Baby love had just hit the streets but wdolg was still getting lots of airplay it was still on the charts

rrussi
06-18-2014, 09:04 AM
This is my all-time favorite Supremes record. I loved it then and I still love it now. I cannot imagine anyone else doing it. I think, however, that they were on the Dick Clark tour when the record broke. A month or so ago I heard Donnie Elbert's version playing on the radio and even though I couldn't stand it when he did it back in the early 70s, it didn't sound so bad. But as I stated above, no one else can do it like the Supremes' version. And 1964 really is the year Motown took-off. Three acts that were basically unknown became major hit-makers: Temptations, 4 Tops, Supremes.

milven
06-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Mary is making the most of promoting the 50th anniversary of WDOLG. Below is another interview by her. I'm surprised that in many recent interviews, she says that God didn't give her a singing talent, but she did get the talent to be a great performer. I never cared for her singing Supremes songs or rock songs [[no reflection on Mary, just my taste) but I enjoy her ballads that she sings in her shows and that she sang with the 70's Supremes. Her singing is just fine.

She says that you can download her new album. Back in March, she said that it would be available in a few weeks. But I just looked on Amazon and I-Tunes and it is not there. The single was originally made available elsewhere before it was made available in the states. Is it possible that it is available outside the states and that is what Mary is referring to.

Mary is making the most of this anniversary and is getting lots of publicity from it. That is a good thing. She is making things happen

By George Pennacchio

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

LOS ANGELES [[KABC) --
Tuesday marked the 50th anniversary of The Supremes. Once upon a time in a housing project in Detroit, three girls, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard just wanted to sing. Their love of music would become a part of Motown history.

The Supremes had a great swinging 60's style, a far cry from when they made their own outfits and wore pearls they bought from Woolworth's.

"We came from a time when, as black people, you didn't dream about becoming a star, you didn't dream about making money," Mary Wilson said. "It was all about being a human being, being respected, being equal."

Wilson said stardom was "magic."

"I always knew that we were going to last forever," Wilson said, "and when it didn't, it really almost destroyed me in a way of that dream being, "wow, how could it end when it was so good?'"

But it did end. Florence Ballard left The Supremes and later died.

Diana Ross went solo, and Mary Wilson carried on with other faces in the group.

For Wilson, now 70, that original break-up helped her grow and helped her find herself, beyond just singing.

"God didn't give me that talent, but what he did give me was the talent to perform, and I know I'm as great a performer as anyone out there," she said.

Wilson said she misses that magical time in her life, but wouldn't want it again.

"Flo, Diane, for me, are like my sisters," Wilson said. "Now, I would love, yes, for us to be buddies. But we're not buddies. I would like for us to be, you know, closer. But I'm very realistic. Life goes on. People do their own things and, you know, sometimes you can get back together. Sometimes you can't."

Wilson keeps going.

In this new music world, you can download her new album, "Life's Been Good To Me." She calls the biographical work her best ever.

From those early days, the stage has been Wilson's home. These days, the stage might be home to her live jazz show, and a song that really says it all about Mary Wilson.

"I still believe in chasing dreams and placing bets but I have learned that all you give is all you get, so give it all you got," Wilson said, adding that it's her favorite song.

Over the years, The Supremes had 12 No. 1 hits. Wilson hopes maybe there's a No. 1 song in her new album, just for her.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/the-supremes-celebrate-big-50th-anniversary-/120248/

milven
06-18-2014, 09:33 AM
...And 1964 really is the year Motown took-off. Three acts that were basically unknown became major hit-makers: Temptations, 4 Tops, Supremes.

I don't disagree with you, but the years before that should not be discounted. They had some giant hits with Mary Wells, Marvellettes , Martha & Vandellas and Miracles.

But in 1964 they went into the stratosphere and became a powerful, independent with influence with distributors, dee-jays and others in the industry.

rrussi
06-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Yes, I totally agree with you. It's just that the general public didn't start thinking "Motown" until the mid-60s and mainly due to the success of the three groups I mentioned above.

theboyfromxtown
06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I was around over 50 years ago!

Where did the years go!

Happy 50th Birthday "Where Did Our Love Go?"

jobeterob
06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Happy "Getting Old" John.

You do it well!

Mary's interview was really good too. She has a good perspective on it now.

rovereab
06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
I can just about remember [[as a youngster I might add) seeing the Supremes on Ready, Steady, Go singing WDOLG and Baby Love. They were encircling the seated presenter, Keith Fordyce, and smothering him with kisses.

I'd love to see that again.

Like TBFXtown above, where did the years go!

LadyLola
06-18-2014, 04:12 PM
by september 64 I had tired of wdolg, I heard the song on the rsdio overtime. When the griup] came to the broolyn fox I got an autograh from rosalind of the vandellas and nine other diana ross
I tried ov it rwo. My sistr playyed that 45 over and ober until I wanted thrw that recod in fire.

arr&bee
06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
I do believe that the marvelettes turned it down before it was given to the supremes.

theboyfromxtown
06-18-2014, 07:40 PM
And so did the Velvelettes!

Lead singer Cal Street insists that Diana had the best voice for that song.

jobeterob
06-18-2014, 08:14 PM
And so did the Velvelettes!

Lead singer Cal Street insists that Diana had the best voice for that song.

Which one of HDH insisted on Diana?

smark21
06-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Mary is making the most of promoting the 50th anniversary of WDOLG. Below is another interview by her. I'm surprised that in many recent interviews, she says that God didn't give her a singing talent, but she did get the talent to be a great performer. I never cared for her singing Supremes songs or rock songs [[no reflection on Mary, just my taste) but I enjoy her ballads that she sings in her shows and that she sang with the 70's Supremes. Her singing is just fine.

She says that you can download her new album. Back in March, she said that it would be available in a few weeks. But I just looked on Amazon and I-Tunes and it is not there. The single was originally made available elsewhere before it was made available in the states. Is it possible that it is available outside the states and that is what Mary is referring to.

Mary is making the most of this anniversary and is getting lots of publicity from it. That is a good thing. She is making things happen

By George Pennacchio

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

LOS ANGELES [[KABC) --
Tuesday marked the 50th anniversary of The Supremes. Once upon a time in a housing project in Detroit, three girls, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard just wanted to sing. Their love of music would become a part of Motown history.

The Supremes had a great swinging 60's style, a far cry from when they made their own outfits and wore pearls they bought from Woolworth's.

"We came from a time when, as black people, you didn't dream about becoming a star, you didn't dream about making money," Mary Wilson said. "It was all about being a human being, being respected, being equal."

Wilson said stardom was "magic."

"I always knew that we were going to last forever," Wilson said, "and when it didn't, it really almost destroyed me in a way of that dream being, "wow, how could it end when it was so good?'"

But it did end. Florence Ballard left The Supremes and later died.

Diana Ross went solo, and Mary Wilson carried on with other faces in the group.

For Wilson, now 70, that original break-up helped her grow and helped her find herself, beyond just singing.

"God didn't give me that talent, but what he did give me was the talent to perform, and I know I'm as great a performer as anyone out there," she said.

Wilson said she misses that magical time in her life, but wouldn't want it again.

"Flo, Diane, for me, are like my sisters," Wilson said. "Now, I would love, yes, for us to be buddies. But we're not buddies. I would like for us to be, you know, closer. But I'm very realistic. Life goes on. People do their own things and, you know, sometimes you can get back together. Sometimes you can't."

Wilson keeps going.

In this new music world, you can download her new album, "Life's Been Good To Me." She calls the biographical work her best ever.

From those early days, the stage has been Wilson's home. These days, the stage might be home to her live jazz show, and a song that really says it all about Mary Wilson.

"I still believe in chasing dreams and placing bets but I have learned that all you give is all you get, so give it all you got," Wilson said, adding that it's her favorite song.

Over the years, The Supremes had 12 No. 1 hits. Wilson hopes maybe there's a No. 1 song in her new album, just for her.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/the-supremes-celebrate-big-50th-anniversary-/120248/

Two theories on the mention of the album: Mary likes to mention it in interviews to make it appear like she's got something going on with her music career besides her concert gigs; or the writer confused the availability of the single with an album.

antceleb12
06-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Frankly, I never liked WDOLG. I've always found it boring and monotonous. However, I think Mary would have sounded perfect on it.

marv2
06-18-2014, 10:30 PM
The French media acknowledges Mary and the Supremes 50th Anniversary of their 1st number one hit, "Where Did Our Love Go?" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl0h9mk9EQU

milven
06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
The French media acknowledges Mary and the Supremes 50th Anniversary of their 1st number one hit, "Where Did Our Love Go?" :

They translated over Mary's interview. Here is the interview in English

It’s been fifty years since The Supremes released their first number-one hit single 'Where Did Our Love Go', the first of five such consecutive hits.

With numerous gold recordings, soldout concerts and over 100 million records sold, The Supremes remain to date the most successful Motown act and vocal band in the US.

Ironically, Mary Wilson, one of the band’s founding members says she did not like the song at first.

“It was 50 years ago that this was released, and I recall it as if it were just two or three weeks ago,” she says. [[…) “I did not like it at all. I’m not sure about Flo and Diane. I was like livid, I said to [[co-writer) Eddie Holland, I said, ‘If we don’t get a hit record, our parents are going to send us to college’… we had been singing since we were 13 so we knew this was what we wanted to do for the rest of our lives. Period.”

Originally named the Primettes, the band was founded in 1959 as a sister act to the male singing group the Primes from Detroit.

During the mid-sixties, the Supremes achieved mainstream success with Diana Ross as lead singer and was renamed Diana Ross & the Supremes. In 1970, Ross left the band and became a solo superstar.

After nearly two decades, The Supremes officially dismembered in 1977.

“People always ask if we will ever reunite. But that’s very difficult, because Florence passed away. And, unfortunately, Cindy [[Birdsong, who joined the band in 1967) is having a few illness problems. And I think Diane is into her own stardom. She is a diva, a superstar. So sometimes it’s hard to go back. And people have no reason to go back,” says Wilson.

The Supremes’ success story helped change racial perceptions during the American Civil Rights movement, paving the way for future African American R&B and soul musicians.

Both aged seventy today, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson continue to perform live to enthusiastic crowds

http://www.euronews.com/2014/06/17/the-supremes-celebrate-50th-anniversary/

motony
06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I always heard it was "Baby Love" that was first offered to the Marvelettes first.

mowsville
06-19-2014, 02:45 PM
nothing like a good ole Motown urban legend to get the juices flowin.

thanxal
06-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I always heard it was "Baby Love" that was first offered to the Marvelettes first. I can clearly hear the Andantes on that version.

theboyfromxtown
06-19-2014, 06:19 PM
http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/homeandfamily/season2video/Performances/MaryWilsonPerformsWhereDidOurLoveGo

I enjoyed this version from Mary.

johnjeb
06-19-2014, 10:28 PM
http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/homeandfamily/season2video/Performances/MaryWilsonPerformsWhereDidOurLoveGo

...and she looks great! I like her hair off her face like that.

midnightman
06-22-2014, 07:11 PM
I do believe that the marvelettes turned it down before it was given to the supremes.

That song didn't sound Marvelettes-esque to me. I believe Eddie Holland and Katherine Schnaffer of the Marvelettes.

midnightman
06-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Which one of HDH insisted on Diana?

Sounds like an urban legend nowadays since Lamont Dozier hasn't confirmed it but he wanted Mary for it [[as the story goes) and Eddie wanted Diana to sing it [[Brian Holland was neutral). But as Eddie tells it, all three knew Diana was picked as the group's lead singer and Mary and Flo accepted their background roles. Diana didn't like the song and Mary & Flo hated that they had to resort to just sing "baby, baby" but they did it anyway lol

midnightman
06-22-2014, 07:14 PM
I always heard it was "Baby Love" that was first offered to the Marvelettes first.

LOL I don't buy that either. :) The Marvelettes were too R&B for "Baby Love". ;) No offense because the Supremes perfected pop music but the Marvelettes' style was more, shall I say, sassier than the Supremes'.

marv2
06-22-2014, 07:44 PM

So did I. She made it sound fun again which can be difficult with a 50 year old song! The lady backing her up is one of the vocalists that appeared in Mary's Holidy Spectacular during the holidays.

marv2
06-22-2014, 07:45 PM
LOL I don't buy that either. :) The Marvelettes were too R&B for "Baby Love". ;) No offense because the Supremes perfected pop music but the Marvelettes' style was more, shall I say, sassier than the Supremes'.

Eddie Holland said that they never offered "Where Did Our Love Go?" to the Marvelettes and that it was written with the intent that the Supremes would do it.

marv2
06-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Sounds like an urban legend nowadays since Lamont Dozier hasn't confirmed it but he wanted Mary for it [[as the story goes) and Eddie wanted Diana to sing it [[Brian Holland was neutral). But as Eddie tells it, all three knew Diana was picked as the group's lead singer and Mary and Flo accepted their background roles. Diana didn't like the song and Mary & Flo hated that they had to resort to just sing "baby, baby" but they did it anyway lol

It was Brian Holland that wanted Mary to sing the lead part to "Where Did Our Love Go?" but Eddie Holland and Lamont Dozier thought Diane would be good on the song and outvoted him. That's when they lowered the key and she sang it that way. Mary is still heard very prominently on the record.