PDA

View Full Version : Chubby Checker wants Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to induct him soon......

test

marv2
06-13-2014, 11:05 PM
or it can 'drop dead'!

http://www.toledoblade.com/Music-Theater-Dance/2014/06/13/Chubby-Checker-wants-Rock-and-Roll-Hall-of-Fame-to-induct-him-soon-or-it-can-drop-dead.html

NEW YORK — Chubby Checker wants the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to know it’s time to induct him into its exclusive club before it’s too late.

“I don’t want to get in there when I’m 85 years old. I’ll tell them to drop dead, so you better do it quick while I’m still smiling,” Checker said Thursday.

Checker’s recording of “The Twist,” and subsequent “Let’s Twist Again” are considered among the most popular songs in the history of rock ‘n’ roll.

“Let’s Twist Again’ was the first rock ‘n’ roll song that received a Grammy [[in 1962),” Checker said.

The 72-year old recording artist equates a place in the Cleveland-based hall to the ability to sustain his career.

“If you put me in when I’m too old to make a living, then it’s no good for me to be in there.”

He added: “The Rolling Stones, they’re in there. The Beastie Boys are in there, they’re young. Hall and Oates were just in there and they’re still making money.”

He made the comments on the red carpet for the annual Songwriters Hall of Fame gala in New York where Checker performed “Let’s Twist Again” for the ASCAP Centennial celebration.

At the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in April, Daryl Hall mentioned that Hall and Oates was the first Philadelphia-based band to be inducted. And after mentioning Chubby Checker, he said: “Why isn’t he in?”

And he’s not alone. Before going into the ceremony, legendary songwriter Kenny Gamble — of the songwriting team Gamble and Huff — said he feels Checker is long overdue.

“I think Chubby Checker should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He’s the only person I know to have the same song go to No. 1 twice.”

Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/Music-Theater-Dance/2014/06/13/Chubby-Checker-wants-Rock-and-Roll-Hall-of-Fame-to-induct-him-soon-or-it-can-drop-dead.html#BPcSUfq40ks7MSui.99

jboy88
06-14-2014, 12:46 AM
I really don't blame him! Give our legends their props while they're here.

soulster
06-14-2014, 11:30 AM
If they do induct him, I can hear the whining of the rock crowd "He's not rock!".

marv2
06-14-2014, 11:41 AM
If they do induct him, I can hear the whining of the rock crowd "He's not rock!".

And he was Rock before it became popular across the board! I don't understand how they can overlook so many of the "popular" greats.

Jerry Oz
06-14-2014, 01:06 PM
I hate legacy inductions into halls of fame. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be there, but he's done nothing in the last year, so why wasn't he inducted then? Or the year before? Or any year going back to the beginning of the R&R HoF's existence? I feel the same way when the NFL or baseball inducts long-dead players. Give them their proper respect when they can properly appreciate it.

gary
06-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Chubby is a legend in his own right, but he doesn't belong in the RRHOF except maybe as a legacy act. Too many others who are more notable than he is still aren't in there.

imnokid
06-14-2014, 05:41 PM
The 5 Royales, Wynonie Harris and Roy Brown are NOT in!

edafan
06-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Richard Street is not in.

A SHAME

edafan

arr&bee
06-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Sure chubby should be there,what do you put the classic[twist]under it ain't soul,it ain't r&b,it ain't the blues,it ain't doo-wop...i think it's-rock n roll..put him in.

roger
06-14-2014, 09:16 PM

I'm sure you are correct in that "Rock" fans might winge Soulster however isn't this outfit called "The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame"?

Here in Britain the term "Rock 'n' Roll" tends to be reserved for the late 50s/early 60s Pre-Beatles "pop/rock" music ... so using that definition CHUBBY CHECKER should definitely belong ... but all those '70s/'80s "Rock" acts should be expelled [[oh what a lovely thought).

:)

Roger

soulster
06-14-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm sure you are correct in that "Rock" fans might winge Soulster however isn't this outfit called "The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame"?

It is, but, over the years, politics took over, and now you have a lot of these rockers who don't know Bo Diddly about the history of it, and think only guitar gods since the British Invasion happened should be in. Dare I use the term "White-boy rock"?

Here in Britain the term "Rock 'n' Roll" tends to be reserved for the late 50s/early 60s Pre-Beatles "pop/rock" music ... so using that definition CHUBBY CHECKER should definitely belong ... but all those '70s/'80s "Rock" acts should be expelled [[oh what a lovely thought).

The criteria includes artists who were influential on the music and culture in some redeemable way. Again, at some point politics took over.

I think CC should be inducted because he influenced the dance/dance song craze that lasted for more than a decade after he recorded songs like "The Twist" and "Limbo Rock", no matter how novel those songs may have been.

Roger[/QUOTE]

skooldem1
06-14-2014, 10:30 PM
I think he should be in. He goes way back. It's not like he is from the 80's.

jillfoster
06-15-2014, 12:21 AM
It is, but, over the years, politics took over, and now you have a lot of these rockers who don't know Bo Diddly about the history of it, and think only guitar gods since the British Invasion happened should be in. Dare I use the term "White-boy rock"?

The criteria includes artists who were influential on the music and culture in some redeemable way. Again, at some point politics took over.

I think CC should be inducted because he influenced the dance/dance song craze that lasted for more than a decade after he recorded songs like "The Twist" and "Limbo Rock", no matter how novel those songs may have been.

Roger[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is a bunch of BS politics involved. They inducted Dusty like a month after she died. Chubby is one of the three HUGE omissions from the early days, the other two being Neil Sedaka and Connie Francis.

marv2
06-15-2014, 12:58 AM
Yeah, there is a bunch of BS politics involved. They inducted Dusty like a month after she died. Chubby is one of the three HUGE omissions from the early days, the other two being Neil Sedaka and Connie Francis.[/QUOTE]

Two huge omissions! Does the "Brill Building" sound count as rock and roll? Has Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons been inducted?

jillfoster
06-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Yeah, there is a bunch of BS politics involved. They inducted Dusty like a month after she died. Chubby is one of the three HUGE omissions from the early days, the other two being Neil Sedaka and Connie Francis.

Two huge omissions! Does the "Brill Building" sound count as rock and roll? Has Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons been inducted?

Yes, Frankie Valli should be in there, too.. but I was talking people from the 50's who hadn't been inducted yet.

motony
06-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Chubby Checker IS Rock N Roll.He should have been included in the first group inducted.

144man
06-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah, there is a bunch of BS politics involved. They inducted Dusty like a month after she died. Chubby is one of the three HUGE omissions from the early days, the other two being Neil Sedaka and Connie Francis.[/QUOTE]

For a time, Connie Francis was easily the world's most popular female R&R artist. There's absolutely no excuse for her not to be included. Chubby Checker's has impeccable credentials, so he should definitely be there as well.

rrussi
06-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Chubby Checker is an artist who brought mainstream America to rock & roll music. The impact of his recording of "The Twist", which topped the charts TWICE, was just amazing if you are old enough to remember the era. Everyone was twisting, even in the White House.

How, oh HOW????, could the Beastie Boys be inducted????????????? That's [[!!!!) rock & roll?

milven
06-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Chubby Checker is an artist who brought mainstream America to rock & roll music. The impact of his recording of "The Twist", which topped the charts TWICE, was just amazing if you are old enough to remember the era. ...

I do remember that. The amazing thing is that it was number one in two separate years. It was number one in 1960. And then it reached number one again in 1962. I don't think any other record did that.

motony
06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
In the early 60's Chubby sold a HUGE amount of LPs which was a rarity for a Rock N Roll artists to do.