PDA

View Full Version : Jeopardy Question Tonight...

test

Jimi LaLumia
06-11-2014, 07:57 PM
a question on Jeopardy was ' label that Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder recorded for"..the contestant said "Motown" and was told they were correct...technically shouldn't the answer have been Tamla?

Lulu
06-11-2014, 08:19 PM
a question on Jeopardy was ' label that Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder recorded for"..the contestant said "Motown" and was told they were correct...technically shouldn't the answer have been Tamla?

NO one would have gotten TAMLA! LOL!

smark21
06-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Shouldn't they have responded "What is Motown?" to get the answer correct on Jeopardy?

daviddesper
06-11-2014, 11:49 PM
We talked about that in my house as well. Any Motown fan worth their salt would know that Smokey and Stevie were on the Tamla label, but the average person would say "HUH?" or "WHAT?" So I guess we should count our lucky stars that they chose to even mention Motown in any capacity.

Have you ever noticed that either the writers or Alex himself have their favorite subjects that come up as often as possible? For example, how many times have we heard Alex say "RRRRRROOOOBBBIE BURRRRNNNS?"

144man
06-12-2014, 01:47 AM
To elicit a reply of "Motown", I would have expected Jeopardy to have been savvy enough to use record company instead of label.

supremester
06-12-2014, 02:13 AM
Motown is technically correct as both have released product on the Motown label.

robb_k
06-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Motown is technically correct as both have released product on the Motown label.
Yes! When all the subsidiaries were folded into Motown, both recorded for it. Of course, Smokey also recorded as a solo act for Tamla. So the question about which "label" required to get "Motown" as the answer should have been: Name a record label for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded", or "What was the second label for which both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded?"
"Name the record company for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded" would have also worked. They should have asked a slightly tougher question, like: "for which producer did The Matadors make their demo record in 1957?"

144man
06-12-2014, 07:09 AM
I never gave the consolidation of the subsidiaries into Motown a thought. To be honest, I still don't think much of it.

tamla617
06-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Stevie on Gordy too.............Eivets Rednow!

Over here we've had so many Tv quiz progs that ask the question. What was the name of the record company founded by Berry Gordy ?[[sometimes they are worded differently)
They accept Tamla Motown as the correct answer every time.

westgrandboulevard
06-12-2014, 07:28 AM
I always used the name 'Tamla-Motown' until at least the late 60s.

Is it true that Kim Weston was once introduced on a UK stage as 'Pamela Motown' - ?!

tamla617
06-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Yes! When all the subsidiaries were folded into Motown, both recorded for it. Of course, Smokey also recorded as a solo act for Tamla. So the question about which "label" required to get "Motown" as the answer should have been: Name a record label for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded", or "What was the second label for which both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded?"
"Name the record company for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded" would have also worked. They should have asked a slightly tougher question, like: "for which producer did The Matadors make their demo record in 1957?"

Wild guess robb. on your Matador's question...........Nat Tarnopol

tamla617
06-12-2014, 07:32 AM
I always used the name 'Tamla-Motown' until at least the late 60s.

Is it true that Kim Weston was once introduced on a UK stage as 'Pamela Motown' - ?!

Me too!
Pamela Motown? Made me laugh!!

144man
06-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Elton John was always a big Motown fan, and I once saw him in the audience when at a Stevie Wonder concert. On one occasion he was asked if he had a girlfriend, and he gave the answer "Pamela Motown".