PDA

View Full Version : Motown songs that have 2 different versions but sung by the same artist

test

blackguy69
06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
I hope i said the title right. My question is Im curious on how many versions of songs Motown has that a partucular artist recorded and release are out there. ill give an example:

Jimmy Mack by Martha and the Vandellas. You have the album version [[ the original 1964 version) and the 45 single version [[the 1967 hit version).

so how many songs at motown fell into this catergory. [[ and i mean the ones that were released at that time not the alt versions that pop up on the rereleases years later.

the other one i can think of is:

Marvin Gaye God is Love

please input ;)

reese
06-10-2014, 07:27 PM
AIN'T NO SUN SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE, recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips in 1967 and again in 1969.

THEN, recorded by the Supremes, and then by the Supremes and Tempts, both in 1968.

KEEP AN EYE, recorded by the Supremes in 1968, recorded by Diana Ross in 1970.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC, recorded by the Supremes, and then by the Supremes and the Four Tops, both in 1970.

COME ON AND SEE ME, recorded by Tammi Terrell in 1966, and again by Tammi and Marvin in 1968.

BayouMotownMan
06-10-2014, 07:57 PM
It's Summer-Temptations
Help Yourself-Undisputed Truth
All I Want-Supremes [[second version unreleased)

blackguy69
06-10-2014, 08:16 PM
i should correct myself when i said 2 different versions, i meant 2 completely different versions.

as i mentioned above.the 45 version of God is love is completely different than the album version.
together we can make such sweet music is a good example as well as Without the One You Love [[Life's Not Worth While).

the Temptations version of then is very different than the one they did with the supremes. the supremes version is too similar to the duet version.

smark21
06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't think too much of remaking one's previous songs/recordings were going on by this point and has continued to decline. Unlike singers from the previous generation. I know Frank Sinatra revisited certain songs throughout his career, doing them with different arrangments and tempos. I believe he recorded The Song Is You about 5-6 times between his big band days and 1980. All of them distinct and stand out.

thomas96
06-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Do the Marvin/Tammi ones count where Tammi recorded it and then they had Marvin lay vocals over it later and released it as a duet?

Two Can Have A Party
Hold Me Oh My Darling

... probably some others I can't think of right now.

thomas96
06-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Smokey & the Miracles, did 2 different versions of it.

bradsupremes
06-10-2014, 10:33 PM
The Happening - The Supremes recorded at least three versions. [[The early "demo" version, the single, and the film version.)

Mother Dear - The Supremes recorded three versions [[2 versions in 1965, 1 version in 1966).

I'll Set You Free - The Supremes recorded two versions in 1968. The first version is unreleased.

The Soulful Shack - The Miracles recorded two versions. The first version is unreleased.

My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) - The Isley Brothers recorded two versions in 1967.

Suspicion - The Originals recorded two versions [[First version in 1966, Second version in 1971 which is unreleased).

144man
06-10-2014, 10:47 PM
I'd be interested in which stereo versions were completely different versions than the mono.

MotownSteve
06-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Camouflage by the Temptations - two versions are on their Lost and Found Album

My Baby by the Temptations - the original hit version from Temptin Temptions and a second version, different vocal by David on Love Songs

Ain't too Proud to Beg by the Temptations - This may not count but there was the original hit and album cut and a second version with the strings more prominent. I"m not sure what album for that.

Wonderful Baby by the Four Tops - the firsts release on the album Reach Out and then two more versions on Lost Without You

robb_k
06-11-2014, 08:30 AM
"Baby Hit and Run" -Contours Billy Gordon lead, and Dennis Edwards lead [[also, William Weatherspoon recorded it).

"I'll Never See My Love Again"/"Do Like I Do"-Kim Weston, -same music, different lyrics

"In The neighborhood"/"On The Avenue"-Jimmy Ruffin, -same music, slightly different lyrics

"Suspicion"- Originals, Three different versions [[3 different vocals, 3 different instrumental mixes

"Shop Around"-Miracles 3 versions, 2 different vocals, 3 different instrumental mixes, strings added, sax different, guitar break added, but replaced in 3rd

"My Beloved" - Satintones - 2 different vocals-2 different instrumental mixes, strings added,

There were also MANY Motown 45 versions whose instrumental mix was changed for the album stereo versions

I can't remember most of them, but there were very many.

soulwally
06-11-2014, 08:33 AM
tempts - Gonna Keep on Tryin Till I win Your Love, Cloud Nine LP, redone on Sky's The Limit album

Sotosound
06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
"These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" by The Velvelettes.

The single had one set of lyrics but the stereo mix released on Motown Chartbusters Vol 6 in the UK in 1971 had entirely different lyrics.

Since then, the stereo mix with the same lyrics as the single has become more widely available in the UK, including on the CD version of Chartbusters 6.

Also, howzabout "Sad Tomorrows" versus "Flying High [[In the Frindly Sky)" by Marvin Gaye?

Motown Eddie
06-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Here's one;
The Miracles did two different versions of "[[You Can) Depend On Me". The first was originally released in Sept. 1959 on the B side of "The Feeling Is So Fine". The single was withdrawn but the 1st version of "Depend On Me" made it to The Miracles first album. The second version came out on the flip of "Way Over There" in Feb 1960.

Motown Eddie
06-11-2014, 09:44 AM
"Way Over There" by The Miracles had two different versions. The first one [[without strings) in Feb. 1960 and the second version [[with strings) came out in March 1960.

marybrewster
06-11-2014, 10:41 AM
"Mother you, Smother You" by the Supremes and by Christine Schumacher and the Supremes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SSmdBBVpbM

mysterysinger
06-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Marvin Gaye recorded "Baby I Need Your Loving" with Kim Weston and with Tammi Terrell.

Thelma Houston recorded two versions of "I Want To Go Back There Again".

Probably doesn't count as not Motown songs but Gladys Knight & The Pips recorded new versions of "Letter Full Of Tears", "Every Beat Of My Heart" and "Giving Up" with Motown.

Diana Ross recorded "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" with The Supremes and Temptations as well as on her own.

rovereab
06-11-2014, 01:53 PM
The mono mixes of Smokey & The Miracles [[Come Round Here) I'm The One You Need and The Tears Of A Clown have completely different lead vocals.

soulster
06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Heaven Must Have Sent You" by Bonnie Pointer yet. The disco version came out in 1979, and was the hit, and then berry Gordy wanted a pop version that was released to radio the next year.

theboyfromxtown
06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
A number of 45 recordings were put out and then pulled only to be remixed and put out again and re-promoted.

Already mentioned, Shop Around and Way Over There were early Motown releases. But it also happened to a lot more. I have 2 different 45's of the following

I'll Be Doggone - Marvin Gaye
When I'm Gone - Brenda Holloway
Don't Mess With Bill - Marvelettes
Take This Heart Of Mine - Marvin Gaye
Some Things You Never Get Used To - DRATS
I'm Livin' In Shame-DRATS

I don't have the 45 of the different mix of the Velvelettes - Bird In The Hand but I know that a tape of it was sent to the manufacturer to press vinyl 45's.

Tears Of A Clown was issued in its original 1967 version when it was issued in the UK and reached the top spot. More instrumentation was added and then remixed for the USA market when it was issued there in 1970. also to become a number 1 hit. There's plenty more examples where the US 45 is not the same as the UK 45 - Marvin Gaye's Little Darling and That's The Way Love Is spring to mind as they are big favourites of mine.

rovereab
06-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Tears Of A Clown was issued in its original 1967 version when it was issued in the UK and reached the top spot. More instrumentation was added and then remixed for the USA market when it was issued there in 1970. also to become a number 1 hit.

It was slowed down a tad too :)

theboyfromxtown
06-11-2014, 02:36 PM
The Happening - The Supremes recorded at least three versions. [[The early "demo" version, the single, and the film version.)

Mother Dear - The Supremes recorded three versions [[2 versions in 1965, 1 version in 1966).

I'll Set You Free - The Supremes recorded two versions in 1968. The first version is unreleased.

The Soulful Shack - The Miracles recorded two versions. The first version is unreleased.

My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) - The Isley Brothers recorded two versions in 1967.

Suspicion - The Originals recorded two versions [[First version in 1966, Second version in 1971 which is unreleased).

Brad

I'll Set You Free.......are you aware that the UK mono album has a different take to the UK stereo version? BTW, our version of Honey Bee [[Keep On Stinging Me) misses out part of the intro.

The Soulful Shack....the US mono is different to the US stereo. But there is, indeed, another unissued mix which has been in circulation in the UK since the days of cassettes.

theboyfromxtown
06-11-2014, 02:42 PM
It was slowed down a tad too :)

I remember this being reported in the UK music press in response to why did the US not issue the same 1967 mix in the States. Motown responded....they wanted to achieve some thing new and more current, it was considered dated in its 1967 form. So they examined the releases in the pop charts including measuring the timing of the beat [[BPM). As a result of that review, they slowed down the timing, added a new drum track and more percussion.

bradsupremes
06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Brad

I'll Set You Free.......are you aware that the UK mono album has a different take to the UK stereo version? BTW, our version of Honey Bee [[Keep On Stinging Me) misses out part of the intro.

The Soulful Shack....the US mono is different to the US stereo. But there is, indeed, another unissued mix which has been in circulation in the UK since the days of cassettes.

I wasn't aware there were different takes on the UK mono and stereo versions on "I'll Set You Free." I know there are alternates vocals on the released version. There is an earlier version produced by Berry Gordy with different lyrics, similar but different track arrangement and an intro sung by Mary and Cindy only.

Was the first version of "The Soulful Shack" released? It was completely different than the released version. The track was a bit slower and not as peppy. Probably the reason why it was recut.

theboyfromxtown
06-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Brad

Ask any of the older US Supremes fans about "I'll See You Free"!!!!. I'd always have to be on the lookout for mono UK copies of the Love Child album for US pen-pals.

The versions on the US mono and stereo albums of Soulful Shack have different vocal takes. That still unissued version has a lot of reverb and sounds like it was intended for 45 release.

MotownSteve
06-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm going strictly by memory on this one: The Marvelettes When You're Young and in Love. The single was shorter by one verse than the album cut.

theboyfromxtown
06-11-2014, 03:42 PM
MotownSteve - Do you mean The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game.

When You're Young And In Love had the spoken intro taken off for 45 release.

Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can - had an extra 30 second odd intro over the US album version on the UK album

MotownSteve
06-11-2014, 03:50 PM
theboyfromxtown,

Thanks for the correction.

I just tried sending you a message and got an error message that your mailbox is full.