PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson talks to Essence

test

luke
06-09-2014, 06:37 PM
http://photos.essence.com/galleries/mary-wilson/#127637_12146 I couldnt bring up whole article but hit next button, 1-15, for pics and comments,

Lulu
06-09-2014, 06:46 PM
http://photos.essence.com/galleries/mary-wilson/#127637_12146 I couldnt bring up whole article but hit next button, 1-15, for pics and comments,

Originally called The Primettes, Florence “flo” Chapman, Diana Ross, and Mary Wilson, who went through a rigorous artist development program as Motown artists, always knew how to command an audience.

Flo Chapman? Yeah, I know it was her married name but c'mon Essence...

smark21
06-09-2014, 08:36 PM
For consistency sake then Flo's groupmates should have been referred to as Diana Naess and Mary Jenkins.

Lulu
06-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Speaking of writing and errors, why is Wilson's Wikipedia entry devoid of any personal information beyond her upbringing? Marriages? Children? Struggles? If Ross and Ballard's entries delve into these details, shouldn't Mary's? She is Mary Wilson correct...not Jesus's mother?

And the discography...was this really necessary? It's more extensive and detailed than BILLIE HOLIDAY'S [[SMDH):

"[[He's) Seventeen" – from the group's debut album Meet The Supremes [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_The_Supremes) – Mary has a brief solo on the song, saying "Ooh!" during the spoken interlude that's just before the last verse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wilson_[[singer)

I'm not trying to start a whole thing but this page is hardly objective as some on the "Talk" page have noted. It's a little heavy handed on the "written by a gushing fan" side. I'm going to pull out my copies of her books and update accordingly. I'd love for others to help with the edits!

blackguy69
06-09-2014, 09:25 PM
to be fair Flo's discography is the same. but you are right its odd that some personal info was left off.

Lulu
06-09-2014, 09:27 PM
to be fair Flo's discography is the same. but you are right its odd that some personal info was left off.

It's true. I hadn't even made it that far down as I clicked off after seeing this gem of a paragraph [[ZERO sources cited):

From that point, Detroiters saw Diana Ross' relationship with Berry Gordy as the primary reason for florence's decline. In fact, according to Ballard's daughters, Diana had stated that she was going to see to it that Flo's children would receive royalty payments after Flo's death. According to Flo's children, these payments never came through. This added to tensions between the remaining Supremes and Berry Gordy.

blackguy69
06-09-2014, 09:28 PM
makes you wonder who did the research.

blackguy69
06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
i will say whoever written the discography, they added every time they just said one line and counted it as a lead lol

Lulu
06-09-2014, 09:37 PM
i will say whoever written the discography, they added every time they just said one line and counted it as a lead lol

Both pages are ridiculously superfluous and need a LOT of attention. I'm willing to do the leg work and would love input from the rest of you. I made the Billie Holiday reference because there are some amazing resources on the web which showcase very detailed discographies and it seems a little unfortunate that a revered artist like Holiday gets a few lines in her discography section and two members of The Supremes who had no solo success or widespread global and critical acclaim on their own get what could probably fill MULTIPLE pages if printed out on Letter size paper. ARGH...I guess I'm going to have to break out my Billie Holiday collection, liner notes and books and get tick tock cleaning up that page too!

blackguy69
06-09-2014, 09:44 PM
some of that could be removed. and the wierd part about it is that Mary's is still incomplete. that is if u include the unreleased material recorded around the period Diana left and some from the 75 album.

Lulu
06-09-2014, 09:49 PM
some of that could be removed. and the wierd part about it is that Mary's is still incomplete. that is if u include the unreleased material recorded around the period Diana left and some from the 75 album.

Well, if you want a good chuckle, go to the Diana Ross "Talk" page:

ClaudineJust wondering why this movie has not been included...????? — Preceding unsigned [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Signatures) comment added by Alethabd [[https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Alethabd&action=edit&redlink=1) [[talk [[https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Alethabd&action=edit&redlink=1) • contribs [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Alethabd)) 15:56, 28 October 2012 [[UTC)

I just peed!

midnightman
06-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Speaking of writing and errors, why is Wilson's Wikipedia entry devoid of any personal information beyond her upbringing? Marriages? Children? Struggles? If Ross and Ballard's entries delve into these details, shouldn't Mary's? She is Mary Wilson correct...not Jesus's mother?

And the discography...was this really necessary? It's more extensive and detailed than BILLIE HOLIDAY'S [[SMDH):

"[[He's) Seventeen" – from the group's debut album Meet The Supremes [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_The_Supremes) – Mary has a brief solo on the song, saying "Ooh!" during the spoken interlude that's just before the last verse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wilson_[[singer)

I'm not trying to start a whole thing but this page is hardly objective as some on the "Talk" page have noted. It's a little heavy handed on the "written by a gushing fan" side. I'm going to pull out my copies of her books and update accordingly. I'd love for others to help with the edits!

Were you the person who wrote on Flo's talk page about this? :) Your text sounds familiar. And I do agree. The article should be shorten accordingly to her life story [[Flo's). Mary's biography is weird as hell...

LOL @ Flo Chapman...smh

midnightman
06-10-2014, 12:19 AM

Yeah like she said one line in Pretty Baby, Long Gone Lover and Let Me Go the Right Way when she didn't really "lead" it...lol

I'm getting to think the people who did the edits were jealous of the Beatles' pages. The only one who should have a featured Wikipedia article among the Supremes members is Diana Ross. The rest pale really short by comparison. I understand having their own articles but yeah those pages need fixing.

Lulu
06-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Were you the person who wrote on Flo's talk page about this? :) Your text sounds familiar. And I do agree. The article should be shorten accordingly to her life story [[Flo's). Mary's biography is weird as hell...

LOL @ Flo Chapman...smh

Yes it was me. As I said, I plan on trying to help tighten these things up in the coming weeks. I make no shame about where I post elsewhere on the 'net. What you see is what you get!

midnightman
06-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Yes it was me. As I said, I plan on trying to help tighten these things up in the coming weeks. I make no shame about where I post elsewhere on the 'net. What you see is what you get!

Well I kinda help in the article. I took out that ridiculous Detroiters sentence. But if you can improve better, go at it. :)

smark21
06-10-2014, 08:07 AM
So are the Beatle Wiki pages well researched and informed discussions/presentations of their contributions? Or like the Flo and Mary wiki pages, written by obsessives trying to signal out a word or two each individual Beatle may have uttered on a song as lead? Those Mary and Flo wiki pages as described above sound really sad and pathetic attempts by their silly die hard fans to boost their legacies and finding a word here and there just makes them look absurd.

smark21
06-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Sounds like Wikipedia is going to be a new front [[or re-emerge as a front) in Supremes fan wars.

marybrewster
06-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Several years ago I tried updating Mary's Wiki page. I ironically have the ability to distinguish the difference between reality and fantasy, and all of her updates were written objectively without any emphasis on adjectives.

No sooner would I update the page, then someone would change them, or delete them. It was frustrating, and I finally gave up. I'm sure if you look somewhere in the edits, you'll see my work.

Lulu
06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
So are the Beatle Wiki pages well researched and informed discussions/presentations of their contributions? Or like the Flo and Mary wiki pages, written by obsessives trying to signal out a word or two each individual Beatle may have uttered on a song as lead? Those Mary and Flo wiki pages as described above sound really sad and pathetic attempts by their silly die hard fans to boost their legacies and finding a word here and there just makes them look absurd.

For all the yacking about the diehard fans of all of these ladies, it's interesting that the Diana Ross page is the most concise and rated "B" by Wikipedia. The discography page is basically a no-brainer as we're dealing with 30+ years of singles, albums and compilations as well as charts around the world. Mary's page should list her albums and single releases and Florence's should perhaps mention the compilation album we got a few years back. THAT'S IT. I don't think, for educational purposes, it is necessary to catalog every "ooh" and "aah" or really separate Mary or Florence lead versions on Supremes songs on their respective pages. These can be mentioned on the respective albums Wikipedia pages [[i.e. Mary's lead on "Come and Get These Memories" should be noted on the Supremes A'Go Go entry).

Lulu
06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Sounds like Wikipedia is going to be a new front [[or re-emerge as a front) in Supremes fan wars.

I wouldn't go that far. However, it's proof yet again that we can't have nice things! Any online Supremes discussion is going to turn into catty bickering that has no substantive factual basis and instead relies on taking sides and hurling insults. I'm trying to look at it in terms of global relevancy. Diana Ross's solo career and 30+ years of worldwide charting singles and albums at least warrants it's own extensive entry just as any artist who found regular success on the charts. Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard have not achieved any recording success worth mentioning other than as members of The Supremes [[Mary: 1961-1977, Florence: 1961-1967).

skooldem1
06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I just checked out Mary's wiki page and OMG that is too funny. Well actually it is kind of sad. The fact that they actually list words and "oohs" as credits is beyond sad.

"[[He's) Seventeen" – from the group's debut album Meet The Supremes – Mary has a brief solo on the song, saying "Ooh!" during the spoken interlude that's just before the last verse.

"A Breathtaking Guy" – from the 1964 album, Where Did Our Love Go – all group members have a lead line on the song’s chorus; Mary sings "Next day heart-breaking..."

"Baby Love" – from Where Did Our Love Go – Diana leads but Flo & Mary each has brief solos [[ad-libs) on the released [[second) version of the song. Mary sings "yeah, yeah" just before the last verse

Lulu
06-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I just checked out Mary's wiki page and OMG that is too funny. Well actually it is kind of sad. The fact that they actually list words and "oohs" as credits is beyond sad.

"[[He's) Seventeen" – from the group's debut album Meet The Supremes – Mary has a brief solo on the song, saying "Ooh!" during the spoken interlude that's just before the last verse.

"A Breathtaking Guy" – from the 1964 album, Where Did Our Love Go – all group members have a lead line on the song’s chorus; Mary sings "Next day heart-breaking..."

"Baby Love" – from Where Did Our Love Go – Diana leads but Flo & Mary each has brief solos [[ad-libs) on the released [[second) version of the song. Mary sings "yeah, yeah" just before the last verse

I just realized that Mary has quite a nice recording timeline in Dreamgirl and nothing she says is remotely on the level of dissection that we see on Wikipedia which leads me to believe that she or her people had absolutely nothing to do with the content [[as others have inferred).

midnightman
06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't go that far. However, it's proof yet again that we can't have nice things! Any online Supremes discussion is going to turn into catty bickering that has no substantive factual basis and instead relies on taking sides and hurling insults. I'm trying to look at it in terms of global relevancy. Diana Ross's solo career and 30+ years of worldwide charting singles and albums at least warrants it's own extensive entry just as any artist who found regular success on the charts. Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard have not achieved any recording success worth mentioning other than as members of The Supremes [[Mary: 1961-1977, Florence: 1961-1977).

*Florence: [[1961-1967) [[but I'm sure that's a typo. :))

I'm a member of the Supremes Wikiproject. I'm guessing one of the members is the reason why Mary's and Flo's pages look so awkward.

midnightman
06-10-2014, 01:27 PM
I just realized that Mary has quite a nice recording timeline in Dreamgirl and nothing she says is remotely on the level of dissection that we see on Wikipedia which leads me to believe that she or her people had absolutely nothing to do with the content [[as others have inferred).

Mary would be laughing at her Wikipedia page if she looked at it. In fact, I'm sure she has. "How do they think me oohing is a lead vocal? Are they crazy?" Lol

Lulu
06-10-2014, 01:29 PM
*Florence: [[1961-1967) [[but I'm sure that's a typo. :))

I'm a member of the Supremes Wikiproject. I'm guessing one of the members is the reason why Mary's and Flo's pages look so awkward.

I cleaned up that date - thank you! OMG!

I'm going to sign on to that project too. Thanks again!

midnightman
06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

I wonder which wise guy thought it was cool to put in Baby Love as "leads" for Flo and Mary!

midnightman
06-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I cleaned up that date - thank you! OMG!

I'm going to sign on to that project too. Thanks again!

No problem. :) Yeah, make sure you do, just sign your name on there lol

We definitely need more cohesiveness with the Supremes and its members...

Lulu
06-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I wonder which wise guy thought it was cool to put in Baby Love as "leads" for Flo and Mary!

I honestly don't think you need to look too far. I'm at least going to try to work on the spelling and grammatical errors this evening.

midnightman
06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
I honestly don't think you need to look too far. I'm at least going to try to work on the spelling and grammatical errors this evening.

Good point lol

But yeah, any good edits are needed.

blackguy69
06-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I said someone is dipping really deep in the kool aide to put this info up lol. I can see if Flo's page lists Buttered popcorn and aint that good news. Or Mary's page listing Cant take my eyes off of you and the 70's material she did sing lead, but every ooh and ahhhh. But i would say i would list A breath taking guy, and long gone lover [[esp since Flo does the outro)

marv2
06-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Good publicity some 55 years on and she can still make the news:

This time in a feature article along with Steve Coburn, co-owner of Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome....

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sideline/former-supreme-rubs-shoulders-chrome-s-connections

midnightman
06-11-2014, 12:03 AM
I said someone is dipping really deep in the kool aide to put this info up lol. I can see if Flo's page lists Buttered popcorn and aint that good news. Or Mary's page listing Cant take my eyes off of you and the 70's material she did sing lead, but every ooh and ahhhh. But i would say i would list A breath taking guy, and long gone lover [[esp since Flo does the outro)

Yeah I guess you can say they did take some leads in Long Gone Lover and A Breath Taking Guy. But the unison vocals are not leads, I don't care which lineup it was, judging from Nathan Jones, it's safe to say Jean led it and the others were still simply the background, whereas the original Supremes sounded more unified. Strange, right?

luke
06-11-2014, 02:22 PM
You said it Marv. She answers questions honestly and directly-and wants to keep being a decent person! I bet she wasnt happy about that bet!

rod_rick
06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Damn, some of you have a lot of time on your hands

Lulu
06-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Damn, some of you have a lot of time on your hands

Two things:

1. I'm not sure that article from Essence is current. The slideshow is there but you cannot access the linked article.

2. As far as Wikipedia goes, I feel that as MOTOWN fans, it is important that we present fair and balanced accounts of the artists and history. Fluff articles on that site are strongly discouraged and those of us who have done our research with regards to things like release dates, chart history and album personnel should try to stay on top of what information is being distributed online.

blackguy69
06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
i disagree as far as the unison leads. i would still count all three. with the case of Nathan jones depending on if you are referring to the album version or the 45 version. jeans vocal on thte album version is way in front til the end, but the 45 version all vocals are up in front. but either way asll of the ladies are doing the leading