PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Franklin Ready for Broadway Share with Diana?

test

jobeterob
05-29-2014, 12:23 AM
By Michael Riedel

May 28, 2014 | 4:30 PM

Aretha Franklin ready for Broadway respect

I’m here to relay a message from the Queen of Soul to the producers of the Tony-nominated “After Midnight.”

Aretha Franklin is interested in appearing in your show. She told me so herself Saturday at a dinner hosted by Clive Davis.

There is, however, one hitch: She’s not going to do eight performances a week. Three, yes, possibly four. But no more.

This makes things a little tricky, of course. A rule of thumb on Broadway is that the weekly profit is in the eighth performance.

The Brooks Atkinson would be packed to the gills when Franklin’s in the show. But the rest of the week might be a little light.

The only way around that is to find another diva of Franklin’s stature to alternate with her. That’s not easy, but I kicked the idea around with some friends in the music business, and we hit on . . . Diana Ross.

Sign those two ladies up, and I guarantee there won’t be a seat left at the show while they’re in it.

This scheme is not as far-fetched as it seems.

For one thing, Franklin saw “After Midnight” and loved it. Plus, she told me she’s always wanted to do a Broadway show. She even flirted, briefly, with playing Fela Kuti’s mother in “Fela!” a few years back.

Ross, too, has circled Broadway. At one point she was talking to the Nederlanders about doing a one-woman show along the lines of the legendary “Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music.”

Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle and Natalie Cole are each doing a stint in the show this summer, but the fall is wide open. Aretha and Diana: That’s the ticket!

jobeterob
05-29-2014, 12:24 AM
http://nypost.com/2014/05/28/aretha-franklin-ready-for-broadway-respect/

reese
05-29-2014, 09:53 AM
It certainly would be interesting. I saw the show earlier this year when Fantasia was the guest star, and I look forward to seeing Patti as the guest star next month.

Aretha in the show could be great as well, but I wonder if the producers would agree to the schedule. Of course, there is a precedent. When Chaka performed in THE COLOR PURPLE, she only did some of the performances. As long as this made clear in the advertising, it could work.

jobeterob
05-29-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure either of them could take 3 or 4 performances a week for very long ~ but for a while, they could.

reese
05-29-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure either of them could take 3 or 4 performances a week for very long ~ but for a while, they could.

The monotony might bother them, especially Aretha. But the guest star is only onstage for a few numbers throughout the show. It's not like they would be carrying the entire performance. It would actually be less than what they currently do in concert.

milven
05-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Would Aretha demand no air conditioning be on in the theatre? A Broadway audience would not tolerate that.

Gladys, Fantasia and Patti will perform with the cast on the TONY AWARDS.

reese
05-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Would Aretha demand no air conditioning be on in the theatre? A Broadway audience would not tolerate that.

Gladys, Fantasia and Patti will perform with the cast on the TONY AWARDS.

I forgot about Aretha's no air-conditioning rule. But again, there is a precedent. When Lena Horne was on Broadway in the 80s, they only turned on the air-conditioning before the performance and during the intermission, as she was allergic to Freon.

smark21
05-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Miss Ross is a superstar. She does not do ensemble. She does not make cameo or guest star appearances. And she does not share billing with another diva.

jobeterob
05-29-2014, 10:51 PM
Miss Ross is a superstar. She does not do ensemble. She does not make cameo or guest star appearances. And she does not share billing with another diva.

Maybe, but she/they are now 70+ and magical things can happen.

I just listened to Aretha sing the National Anthem at Harvard and of course she had a more spectacular, fuller voice than Diana but I believe her voice has also deteriorated more than Diana's.

If these shows are as the posters say, with only a few songs, maybe that could happen for a while.

no_place_like_motown
05-30-2014, 08:00 AM

Some years back I remeber she did a show in New York with Gladys, Chaka Khan and Patti Labelle in either MSG or Radio City. Does that ring a bell to anyone?

milven
05-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Some years back I remeber she did a show in New York with Gladys, Chaka Khan and Patti Labelle in either MSG or Radio City. Does that ring a bell to anyone?

I remember it. I'm not sure, but I think it was some kind of charity event at Radio City. Here are some photos of it.

http://photos.essence.com/galleries/chaka-khan-patti-labelle-diana-ross-and-gladys-knight-concert

no_place_like_motown
05-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I remember it. I'm not sure, but I think it was some kind of charity event at Radio City. Here are some photos of it.

http://photos.essence.com/galleries/chaka-khan-patti-labelle-diana-ross-and-gladys-knight-concert

Thanks, Milven. Great photos of the ladies...

skooldem1
05-30-2014, 11:34 AM
The event was called "Divas with heart".