PDA

View Full Version : Scherrie & Susaye - One Night Only - July 5th, Los Angeles

test

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 10:28 PM
I just [[moments ago!) got my ticket in the mail for Scherrie & Susaye's upcoming concert! I feel very fortunate that I am only a couple of hours away and can attend this very special night. Perhaps the success of this concert may extend this "one night" to many others. I'm really looking forward to seeing these fantastic and supremely talented ladies Live! Live! Live! See you there!:)

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 10:31 PM
> <

sophisticated_soul
05-28-2014, 01:05 AM
Or you can call 213-494-1291 to buy tickets directly.

theboyfromxtown
05-28-2014, 05:37 AM
A VIP pass too. Lucky you.

I'd like to see this show too. Hope it comes a little nearer to Europe..like London!

sophisticated_soul
05-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I hope so too, John! It would be great if the Ladies could take the show on the road.:)

markdtiller
05-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Not likely alas, the clue is in the title: "One Night Only"

midnight johnny
05-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Not likely alas, the clue is in the title: "One Night Only" Actually, Susaye said on my show recently that they are interested in and looking for other possible dates. So alas? Not necessarily....

thanxal
05-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Yes, that's right. John encouraged them to come to the East Coast and they said they would look into it. Hopefully, they will find that a DC/Philly/NYC/Boston engagement will be profitable and successful. Personally I hope for DC, but have passion, will travel.

sophisticated_soul
06-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Actually, Susaye said on my show recently that they are interested in and looking for other possible dates.

And Scherrie said she might be singing “Crumbs Off The Table” from The Glass House days! Wow! That single was released late in 1969 as I recall. I think it was one of the first Invictus singles I bought. I remember it wasn’t released on an album [[“Inside The Glass House”) for around two years, in 1971. The following year [[1972) their album “Thanks I Needed That” was released [[a great album that has stood the test of time). That was the year I turned 21 and cuts from the album were being played in the dance clubs. I loved to cut a rug to “Don’t Let It Rain On Me” and especially “Let If Flow”. Happy memories.:)

thelastsupreme
06-12-2014, 12:19 AM
On July 5th, Scherrie and I will be celebrating the release of our cd "Partners" in Los Angeles. Come party with us and share in the summer fun. We are so excited to bring this show to you, and with a bit of luck and a lot of support, [[and all of the wonderful invitations we are getting) we are going to see many of you around the country, and even the world. So! Please spread the word, and come on out. 2Premes rockin' the summer fun! :cool:
Love to all and big kisses, Susaye
http://www.facebook.com/events/245084845692994/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular8225

midnight johnny
06-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Susaye....I'm so excited for you and Scherrie and your upcoming performance. I only wish I could be there to be part of the audience and to cheer you both on. I'll have to wait until you come to Cape Cod...you ARE coming to Cape Cod? And when you do, you could join me in the studio LIVE instead of merely on the phone? A 2Premes fan's dream come true. Break a leg!! Love.....John!

motony
06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Best of luck to Susaye & Scherrie, 2 beautiful & talented ladies.

Jimi LaLumia
06-14-2014, 05:57 PM
I believe they'll be bringing this to NYC!

sophisticated_soul
06-17-2014, 11:54 AM
I believe they'll be bringing this to NYC!

With more dates to be added! It’s really exciting to see the “Partners” CD debut bringing Scherrie & Susaye so much more opportunity and recognition this time around. It seems love and “Partners" really are lovelier the second time around.:)

sophisticated_soul
06-21-2014, 03:23 PM
2premes in 2 weeks!:)

theboyfromxtown
06-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Joseph.

Can you take a few photographs and post them here. I dare say that people will be recording parts of it on their phone. If you see any on youtube, can you post them on SDF

longtimefan
06-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Susaye,
I saw the professional picture taken for this even where Scherrie and you are "looking skyward!" it is excellent. Can you post other poses from that same shoot?

sophisticated_soul
06-28-2014, 11:18 AM
TWOpremes in ONEweek!:)

thelastsupreme
06-29-2014, 02:59 AM
http://www.daeida.com/DAEIDA_ISSUU_2014_07.html
Unfinished Business; Scherrie and Susaye. Check out Daeida Magazine!

milven
06-29-2014, 11:20 AM
OMG !!! Susaye, thank you for posting the link. The pictures of you and Sherrie are great, but more importantly, the extensive interview is extremely interesting and a must read for any fan of the Seventies Supremes. It is a long interview. I gave it a quick read and will go back to read it again. Some highlights of the interview are below, but I encourage all fans of Sherrie, Susaye and the Supremes to read the entire interview in case I got anything wrong

Discussed in the interview is the fact that a Deluxe Partners CD will be released with outakes and unreleased materiel.

UMG is going digital - completely. I don't know if includes new releases from UMG , or just re-issues.

No one has ever approached them to do a Seventies reunion .

RTL is discussed along with the publicized feuds over money. As for another try at a reunion , even if Mary wanted one, Diana probably wouldn't and Cindy probably couldn't.

Mary did not want to leave the group , but Pedro pushed her to go solo. Mary soon asked to come back, but it would have meant dealing with Pedro again and both ladies seemed to have conflicts with him.

After Mary left the group , the remaining Supremes had a meeting with Berry and were to llicense the name and continue with Joyce.

Some of that changed and Berry wanted Syreeta to join them and retire the name and call them the Supergroup. But then Syreeta had a big hit with Billy and that also wasn't to be. The decision to disband the group was Motown's decision, not Mary's or anyone else.

A Sevenities Supremes reunion is probably not possible because Mary seems to have written off that part of the Supreme History. And if I remember correctly, Mary said in a few interviews that she would not do a Seventies reunion unless there was a Sixties Reunion first.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Diana's original idea in 2000 was to have all the Supremes participate in the tour, but there were conflicts and lawsuits etc, which made it difficult - and in the end, impossible.

It looks like this one night only concert will be a huge success. Hopefully, they will give fans on the east coast a chance to see it too.

Good luck to Susaye and Sherrie

longtimefan
06-29-2014, 12:15 PM
"UMG is going digital - completely. I don't know if includes new releases from UMG , or just re-issues."

Does this apply to the expanded editions of BABY IT'S ME and SUPREMES A GO GO?

marv2
06-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Diana's original idea in 2000 was to have all the Supremes participate in the tour, but there were conflicts and lawsuits etc, which made it difficult - and in the end, impossible.

There were no lawsuits. Just a lot of disrespectful behavior from one of the parties.

Susaye, any chance you all would bring the show to the SoundBoard in Detroit?

thelastsupreme
06-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm very grateful to Daeida Magazine for being so lovely to Scherrie and I. feel I must address this: I did not say that an extended version of Partners has been definitely green-lighted by Universal; only that it was very possible, as the cd is doing so well and that I hoped that would happen. The prospects of what that would entail were discussed. We are so excited by the possibilities, but of course we must wait and see. There are a few things in this article that are more "interpretation" by the interviewers, than things actually said. The fact that we were all "dropped" by Motown. That's not what happened. The thing is, things are said, and the interpretation of them is not always what you said or meant; that's interviewing! I certainly mean no insult to Daeida; they are fantastic!!!! I love what they are doing for us. :D love from Susaye Greene

sophisticated_soul
06-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Thank you for the clarification, Susaye. A "Partners" Expanded Edition would be fantastic! I hope it happens, too.:)

longtimefan
06-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Susaye,

Thank you for the quick response and clarification. Information is power! [[smile) We will all watch and wait now that we know the facts!

p.s. I shared with you a time or two that I saw you, Scherrie, and Mary at the "Royal Hawaiian." I wonder if any other fans "go back that far!" :-)

blueskies
06-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Susaye,

Thank you for the quick response and clarification. Information is power! [[smile) We will all watch and wait now that we know the facts!

p.s. I shared with you a time or two that I saw you and Scherrie at the "Royal Hawaiian." I wonder if any other fans "go back that far!" :-)
I go back to Bachelor's III in Ft. Lauderdale. What a show!

stephanie
06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Hey Marv,
Did you notice Scherrie said that she felt that Motown was not pushing them and when Let My Heart do the Walking came out Motown called some DJ and read the rest of the article.
Hmmmm puts to rest those who say Motown promoted them and pushed them. Granted Scherrie said someone told her this but I believe it,

marv2
06-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Hey Marv,
Did you notice Scherrie said that she felt that Motown was not pushing them and when Let My Heart do the Walking came out Motown called some DJ and read the rest of the article.
Hmmmm puts to rest those who say Motown promoted them and pushed them. Granted Scherrie said someone told her this but I believe it,

Oh I know for a fact that Motown did not promote them to the extent that they were capable of. I was very much around when High Energy was released as well as, Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. Those were tremendous lps and Motown did nothing for them! I love Scherrie, she tells the ......stuff! LOL!!!!

rod_rick
06-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Yes Marv they were promoted by way of High Inergy is The New Supremes :)

marv2
06-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Yes Marv they were promoted by way of High Inergy is The New Supremes :)

Rod, now ain't that something? I mean what a slap in the face and show of non-gratitude to do something like that to the ladies?

sophisticated_soul
07-01-2014, 09:16 PM
TWOpremes in FOURdays!:)

thelastsupreme
07-02-2014, 02:15 PM
8263 Scherrie and Susaye having High Energy fun!....Love you all.

marv2
07-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Two classy Dames! Still looking fine....................

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2014, 11:22 PM

What a great photo! Thank you so much for posting it.:)

sophisticated_soul
07-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Joseph.

Can you take a few photographs and post them here. I dare say that people will be recording parts of it on their phone. If you see any on youtube, can you post them on SDF

John, I am so technically challenged. I wouldn’t have any idea how to make or post a video. But as you say I’m sure others will. I do have a camera, but I don’t think that would be allowed [[I’ll take it and see). I guess there is now a good possibility you may be seeing Scherrie & Susaye in the UK, as they anticipate possible worldwide performances. I’m really excited with the concert only two days away! I even bought a new pair of studs* for the occasion, they are very sparkly and rather Supreme! Thanks for taking interest in this thread John.

*Earrings, John, earrings.;)

thanxal
07-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Dear Scherrie and Susaye,
Please please please come to the East Coast. You have many adoring fans on this side who would love to see you.
Thanks!

Lulu
07-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Please please please come to the East Coast. You have many adoring fans on this side who would love to see you.
Thanks!

I second that. I've seen Diana already...can I please get my fix of my other two favorite Supremes??? :o

sophisticated_soul
07-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks!

Of course I don't speak for Scherrie & Susaye, but judging by Susaye's post [[#10 on this thread) it seems very likely.

sophisticated_soul
07-04-2014, 12:36 PM
TWOpremes:):) Tomorrow!:)

midnight johnny
07-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Susaye & Scherrie....wish I could be at your show tomorrow night.....BREAK A LEG!!! Love....John

markdtiller
07-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes London wants you, Scherrie & Susaye. Lots of great venues and plenty of Supremes fans. The album was never released in the UK, so give us the show!

kenneth
07-04-2014, 07:33 PM
If anyone else is driving in from the Valley for the show, let me know, and perhaps we can go together.

thelastsupreme
07-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Exclusive News from Universal's uDiscover July 4th 2014: Former Supremes Performing Live Together Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, two of the final line-up of the Supremes, are to perform live together tomorrow night [[Saturday July 5). Thank you Paul Sexton, from London, for the terrific interview. xox from Susaye
http://www.udiscovermusic.com/exclusive-former-supremes-performing-live-together

Hotspurman
07-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Sorry I can't be there in person tonight, but you'll be in my thoughts - hope the evening goes well. You deserve it!

smark21
07-05-2014, 01:36 PM
HOpe it's a great show tonight and that it's not just one night only and will come to NYC.

REDHOT
07-05-2014, 04:56 PM
As The Jackson 5 hit song goes,I'll Be There, i wouldn't miss it for the world

thanxal
07-05-2014, 05:23 PM
So wish I could see 2premes 2nite! But in solidarity, I'm positively blasting "Leaving Me" from my stereo.

kenneth
07-06-2014, 07:53 AM
This was an incredible show. I thought I'd give a snapshot view of what I experienced.

The seating was excellent. The VIP seats were for tables which took up about half of the room, a ballroom at the Sheraton. The rest of the seats were the General Admission ticket seats and were just your basic rows of chairs, kind of as if you were attending a convention. But the chairs were comfortable [[I was in General Admission) and there really weren't any bad seats. I got there early so had pretty much the best GA seat, just inside the door and on the aisle, with no table blocking my view of the stage.

The sound was spotty at times but good once they got the kinks out of it. Pam Vincent and Joyce Vincent [[from Tony Orlando and Dawn) sang backup to the girls.

Four young ladies from the New Directions Female Color Guard group opened which seemed appropriate as it was the day after the 4th of July, and a singer introduced only as "Mindy" gave a rousing acapella rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

The lineup had a little something for everyone. There was a very funny comedian, who I thought was named Kevin McReynolds or Kevin Reynolds - I'll have to update this when I find out his correct name. He was extremely funny and kept the audience occupied, especially when he was asked to extend his set due to the next performer's delays in arriving for her set. One of his funniest bits was talking about him being a former cop [[at only 5'4"!) who used to have to deal with the "really big guys" who were 5'6" or 5'7"! His looks and delivery reminded me a little of Flip Wilson. He was hilarious.

There was an opening singer who only sang one song but I couldn't catch her name, and it doesn't appear on the promotional web sites that I've found.

There was another set by a different comedian, but he was more like a sort of magician, not really a standup, as was Kevin earlier.

Charlo Crossley [[introduced only as "Charlo") came on and did a rousing set, mostly of standards, but some unusual ones I hadn't heard before. She closed her set with a beautiful song about the soul which she said she sang "8 times a week" on Broadway. I thought I had read that she had appeared in "The Color Purple" so assumed it was from that show, but a fellow SDF member later identified this as a song from "Hairspray" called "I Know Where I've Been." Overall, hers was an unusual song selection, not your usual "standards" set, and it was refreshing to hear some little known numbers from the golden age of American song. She got a huge standing ovation at the end of her set.

Scherrie and Susaye came on following Charlo's set. During the first number the band was overpowering them but after a sound check requested by the girls, there was better balance. The girls opened with several songs from "Partners" including one which I think was called "Storybook Romance" [[I can't find my album or a track listing at the moment) and another called "In the Night." "Leaving Me Was the Best Thing You've Ever Done" was performed as a duet but had a long monologue in the middle by Scherrie who talked about "guys with attitude" and dispensed advice to the girls in the audience on how to deal with them. During one of the other numbers a pair of Soul Train dancers came out and gave a spirited, sexy and exciting rendition in dance while Susaye sang.

During one number Scherrie gave a brief overview of the Supremes' lineage and history. She mentioned almost all of the former Supremes, including even Betty McGlown, who I think was a Primette but never knew she was an actual Supreme. However, Scherrie neglected to mention Barbara Martin, who actually recorded some of the songs on "Meet the Supremes" as we know from the great set that Hip-O released of this seminal album.

Each girl had a solo spot. Scherrie's consisted of "Another Life From Now" which used as its intro the verse to "Macarthur Park" and was performed in showstopping style. Susaye's was a fantastic reading of "Alfie" which left you kind of asking, "Dionne who?"

After the solo spots, the girls performed just two Supremes songs, both of which came from the "High Energy" album, "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" and "High Energy," which had less of a discofied arrangement than on the album. That was their closer.

However, Susaye came back and gave a thrilling rendition of a song called "Children of the Ghetto" with her son, a young man I think in his early 20s, who rapped the verse while she sang the background and chorus. I'm not familiar with this song, but it reminded me of something by Gil Scott-Heron perhaps. It was stunning.

A bit of a disappointment that Scherrie didn't come back and join Susaye for an encore.

Each lady had one or two costume changes. The ladies began the concert, and suitably for the "Partners" numbers, dressed in identical black gowns with spangly accents. For "Another Life From Now," Scherrie came out dressed in a bright yellow Kimono, which seemed to suit the spiritual/reincarnation nature of the lyrics. For the final songs consisting of the Supremes numbers, each lady dressed in a brighter and more glamorous gown, Scherrie in one of her trademark bright red dresses and Susaye in a glittery "TCB" type gown.

Following Susaye's turn with her son, Goodwill Ambassador Bryant McGill came out and spoke about world peace and his petition which is promoted through goodwilltreaty.org, also offering copies of his book to everyone in the audience who wanted one. It was a good speech but I think misplaced at the end of the show. I think it might have been better inserted in the middle, perhaps during the solo spots, so the show could have ended on a more exciting note. But his message was sincere and well expressed.

Prior to saying goodbye, the girls introduced several famous members in the audience. Freda Payne was there, looking fantastic. Lamont Dozier, Tata Vega, Vandella Betty Kelly, a gentleman from the Originals [[I couldn't catch his name however), Brenda Russell and others were introduced to generous applause. I can't remember them all.

It was a very special evening which I was proud to be part of. After the show, both girls signed my copy of the "High Energy" album which I let them know I'd owned since the day it came out. Both ladies were gracious and lovely. Both hugged me and thanked me for attending. Susaye even said she remembered that once on this forum I commented that I wondered how Mary and Scherrie shared the lead on "Come Into My Life," one of my favorite Supremes songs, and Susaye herself stepped in to correct me that it was "her and her alone" who shared the lead on that funky George Clinton-esque song! I was thrilled to get my album signed, and I'll cherish it always.

The crowd was dressed to the nines and included many, many friends and well wishers as well as fans and a few from this forum as well. Just for people watching you got your money's worth at this show!

From a critical perspective, you couldn't ask for two more talented ladies. Their voices haven't changed perceptibly from the late 70s Supremes. I suppose it's possible that Susaye and Scherrie can't belt out some of the high notes they used to, but you wouldn't know it from the song selection and vocalizing they both did. Both ladies looked gorgeous. However, even knowing how petite they both are, when I was standing with them I was still amazed by it. I am 6'3" so I'm taller than most people but Susaye especially being so petite made me wonder where all her vocal power comes from! It seems obvious that both ladies have led clean, blessed lives and taken great care of their instruments, their gifts from God, their amazing voices. They sounded fantastic.

I would tweak the sequence a little, but obviously this was the first show and they'd be expecting some changes to be made. As I mentioned above, if the prayer for peace is kept in the show, I would include it during the middle "solo" section when things are quiet. The "Children of the Ghetto" number would be great as a first encore, but I think the show has to end with a Susaye and Scherrie number, perhaps "He's My Man," which I hoped to hear but didn't. Of course, this may be because Susaye didn't sing on the original recording, but that's no matter. Together, they would make this number unstoppable. I think then the show would end on the highest of high notes, as opposed to the quiet way it wound down on this evening.

Overall, this wasn't to be missed. I was so happy to be part of it. Thank you, Scherrie and Susaye, for making this such a wonderful evening! I hope you've all enjoyed my recap of the night. It was unforgettable.

drlorne
07-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the review Kenneth.

kenneth
07-06-2014, 08:53 AM
You're welcome! Thanks for reading it!

longtimefan
07-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Kenneth,
Thank you for this excellent overview of the show last night! So many of us who could not attend because of the distance were very curious as to the lineup for this performance. Of course, we knew that Sherrie and Susaye would be terrific! Thanks again for taking so much time to provide us with so many details!

kenneth
07-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks! Hope it wasn't too long! There was so much to observe.

milven
07-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks so much Kenneth for taking the time to post your review of the show. I enjoyed reading it. Your review drew a wonderful picture and made me feel like I was in the audience too.

I hope the show makes it to NYC

kenneth
07-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks Milven! I hope you get a chance to see it, too.

Methuselah2
07-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Kenneth - I enjoyed reading your review so much. Thank you for writing it and including the details. Much appreciated.

kenneth
07-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks Metuselah2! Happy to do so.

smark21
07-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks Kenneth for the review/report.

kenneth
07-06-2014, 12:55 PM
You're welcome!

midnight johnny
07-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Kenneth....I truly appreciate your overview of Scherrie's and Susaye's big night! Thanks so much! John

kenneth
07-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks Johnny! When I met Scherrie, I mentioned to her I had heard your interview with the ladies a few weeks ago. After we spoke briefly, she commented "thank you for your loyalty." What a sweet lady.

Lulu
07-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Fabulous review Kenneth! It sounds like a perfectly charming and intimate engagement and I also hope it makes it "back east"!!!

kenneth
07-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks Lulu! I hope it does, too. For some reason, I thought you lived out here though!

Penny
07-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Kenneth-

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Well done.

Penny

kenneth
07-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks Penny! Haven't seen you on here much lately.

Lulu
07-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks Lulu! I hope it does, too. For some reason, I thought you lived out here though!

If only! :o

thommg
07-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Charlo Crossley [[introduced only as "Charlo") came on and did a rousing set, mostly of standards, but some unusual ones I hadn't heard before. She closed her set with a beautiful song about the soul which she said she sang "8 times a week" on Broadway. This must have been a number from "The Color Purple" but I'm not familiar with that score so can't identify it properly.

Kenneth, first, thanks for the rundown. Very nice for those pof us not on the West Coast. Could Charlo have done I Know Where I've Been from Hairspray? I know she did that show but I don't think she did The Color Purple. I Know Where I've Been is a big rousing number.

kenneth
07-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Kenneth, first, thanks for the rundown. Very nice for those pof us not on the West Coast. Could Charlo have done I Know Where I've Been from Hairspray? I know she did that show but I don't think she did The Color Purple. I Know Where I've Been is a big rousing number.

You know what, I think you are correct. Those were the lyrics, in essence. "I know where I've been, I know where I'm going." Wow, hard to imagine that being from Hairspray! I thought I had read she was in The Color Purple so just assumed it must have been from that. But, yes, I think you are absolutely right. Thanks!

REDHOT
07-07-2014, 02:09 AM
Kenneth's review was on point,i was there also,yes Scherrie payne and Susaye Greene looked great and sounded great,it was a special night for The Supremes partners,and fans,Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You Ever Done, Your Sweet Love,In The Night,With 2 dancers from Soul Train,then Scherrie talks about her days as a Supreme,and all the ladies of The Supremes,and went into I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking,and Scherrie and Susaye shared the lead,and sounded great,Susaye said she love this song,since she was a little girl,she sang Alfie,and she sang it,the best i ever heard,any other singer, sang it,with a standing ovation,Scherrie sang Another Life From Now,i'm like wow Scherrie gave a super vocal performance,with a standing ovation, then The Supremes Partners went into High Engery,and this was another highlight,Scherrie and Susay shared the lead on this,and DAMMMMMMMM they were Super great,they had everyone on they're feet,who ever did the arrangement High Energy did a great job,it was so good,i didn't want it to end lol,Susay sings Children Of The Ghetto, with her son,and it was amazing,i could hear it on the radio today,with another standing ovation,and that was the end of Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene's set,trust me both Supremes Partners were PHENOMENAL,Susaye said they may take this show on the road,i agree the show should have ended with Scherrie and Susaye on stage together,maybe it should have ended the show with High Energy,anyway i love it,no matter what,Thanks Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,THE BEST

kenneth
07-07-2014, 02:24 AM
Redhot, I wish we could have met! Had I known you were going, I would have made sure we did. Did you see me? I was seated in the very first General Admission seat as you walked into the room. If you didn't turn one way or the other, you would have fallen on me!

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 02:59 AM
My Night Of Music & Love With Scherrie & Susaye: A Personal Memoir[[ette)

First of all I would like to send a big Thank You to Big Dawgs’ Sydney. After driving to Los Angeles from San Diego and checking into my room at the Sheraton I discovered much to my horror I had forgotten my ticket! You know that sinking feeling. It was even worse than that. Fortunately for me I had purchased my ticket directly from Big Dawg and had spoken with Sydney a number of times. So I called Big Dawg and Sydney very graciously reprinted my ticket. This kind courtesy prevented this article from being titled “I Can Never Recover”! Sydney was in the hotel at the time so I got my ticket right away. The sinking feeling didn’t go away as fast. Man, I dodged a bullet on that one. You know “not responsible for lost or stolen tickets”. As a matter of fact all the staff members I interacted with before during and after the concert were kind and considerate. It was definitely a family and friends kind of affair.

I’ll start with wardrobe and the set list. I wore black Ariat cowboy boots, black leather pants, a pink dress shirt [[Costco), a cornflower blue tie [[T.J. Maxx) and a vintage Thierry Mugler jacket, that I’ve had since it wasn’t vintage. I topped it off with a pair of diamond and topaz stud earrings that would have set me back an arm and a leg if I hadn’t purchased them online from nomorerack.com.

The set list [[from my scribbled notes):
Storybook Romance – duet
Your Sweet Love - duet
Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You’ve Ever Done – started as a duet then became a Scherrie solo
In The Night – Susaye solo
McArthur’s Park/Another Life From Now – Scherrie solo
Alfie – Susaye solo
I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking - duet
High Energy - duet
Children Of The Ghetto – Susaye and her son Colton

The ladies were backed by a four piece band and as Kenneth stated in his excellent and thorough review of the show, Pam and Joyce Vincent did support vocals. Just seeing these four talented and legendary ladies on stage together was worth the price of admission.

Table seating was assigned [[which I guess was probably the only reason Sydney was able to reprint my ticket) and I wound up seated next to Fred Bronson, journalist, author and writer. Bronson’s “The Billboard Book Of Number One Hits” is my main musical reference book. I was a little geeked-out, not just because Fred is a well know figure, but because I just happened to be a big fan of a lot of his books. In a matter of minutes we were talking like old friends as I bombarded him with questions about various projects he has worked on. Turns out Fred and I both know Soulful Detroit’s own theboyfromxtown, John Lester, so Fred texted John in the UK. This was just another example of the family/extended family feel that pervaded this wonderful show. Shout out to Serendipity for seating me next to Fred, he was totally cool and I so enjoyed making his acquaintance.

I took my original vinyl copy of “Partners” with me in hopes of getting it autographed [[so much more space to write on than the CD). After the concert Scherrie came out first and was posing for pictures in front of a Partners/Big Dawg back drop. It got rather chaotic, everybody was trying to get in the picture but The Payne Killer handled it all like the pro she is. Eventually [[and with a bit of help from Fred) I was able to ask Scherrie to autograph my album. As she did I thanked her for the music and she looked at me and said “You are so handsome!” I was instantly a blithering idiot! LOL!!! If only I had thought to say “I am not worthy!” LOL!!! Then Susaye came out and the love fest/chaos started up again. Eventually I was able to get Susaye to autograph the album as well. As she was doing so I said “I’m Joseph, I have a thread on Soulful Detroit about the show”. She looked up and said “Come here” [[she had to look up and say “Come here” because in my Ariat’s I’m like 6’ 5” and towered over her. It was kind of like “The Attack Of The 50 Foot Fan”) and she gave me a big hug. Let me tell you folks, a Susaye hug will warm your soul.

Also after the show I picked up a complimentary copy of “Voice Of Reason”. I agree with Kenneth about the placement of the Bryant McGill segment, but more than a show Supreme Partners is an experience and McGill’s message is an important part of the experience that Scherrie & Susaye have created [[and are creating) for us.

I also spoke briefly with Pam Vincent after the show and purchased her CD, which she autographed. She was most kind and gracious. The room was alive with so many of our legendary ladies. Wow, there’s Tata, there’s Brenda Russell and so on. It was quite overwhelming, but very wonderful. As things started to calm down Fred Bronson was able to get in an interview with Susaye, afterwards he and I continued our conversation over dinner. It was great fun and as I said Fred was just totally cool to talk to and be with. Thanks Fred!

There was such a spirit of love and caring during and after the concert. As I said it felt very much like a family/extended family event, a reunion if you will. Scherrie & Susaye provided a wonderful concert that showed why they are held in such high regard as artists. Their added message of love and taking care of one another, their emphasis on breast cancer research and world peace, shows why they are so loved and respected as human beings. I am so, so very grateful that I was able to be a part of Supreme Partners. It was an exceptional evening, I will treasure remembering.

kenneth
07-07-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm jealous, Sophisticated! Scherrie didn't tell me I was handsome! I'll never get over it!!!

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 03:09 AM
I'm jealous, Sophisticated! Scherrie didn't tell me I was handsome! I'll never get over it!!!

Yeah, but you didn't turn into a blithering idoit in front of her! LOL! Wasn't it just electric being around her.:)

kenneth
07-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Yeah, but you didn't turn into a blithering idoit in front of her! LOL! Wasn't it just electric being around her.:)

Absolutely...both ladies are very special. I loved meeting them.

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Addendum:

Sign The Goodwill Treaty - www.bryantmcgill.com/treaty

midnight johnny
07-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Joseph....thank you so much for posting your Scherrie and Susaye experience! Between You and Kenneth, it was like having a ring-side seat!

blueskies
07-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Anyone know if Pam's CD is available online somewhere?

motony
07-07-2014, 10:29 AM
thanks Kenneth & Sophisticated Soul for the reviews.Would love to have been there , I sure wish they would come to Florida.

luke
07-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Thanks all. Was it sold out? Did Scherrie and Susaye engage in conversation from the stage? Any mention of other shows?

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Joseph....thank you so much for posting your Scherrie and Susaye experience! Between You and Kenneth, it was like having a ring-side seat!

Your welcome, my friend. Seeing Scherrie, Susaye, Pam and Joyce together on stage I immediately thought of you and your love and respect for these ladies and thought "Oh man, would Johnny love this!" I hope the show comes your way, John.:)

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 02:03 PM
thanks Kenneth & Sophisticated Soul for the reviews.Would love to have been there , I sure wish they would come to Florida.

You're very welcome motony. Thanks for reading the posts. I hope Scherrie & Susaye come your way, too.:)

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Anyone know if Pam's CD is available online somewhere?

Off hand I do not know if she has a website or not, or where else it might be available.

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks all. Was it sold out? Did Scherrie and Susaye engage in conversation from the stage? Any mention of other shows?

My only disappointment of the evening was that the show was not sold out. The ladies were very engaged with the audience, offering comments and reflections through out the show. Among other things Susaye talked about her pride in seeing her son grow into his own. And Scherrie shared some thoughts about events that inspired certain songs. They did say there would be other dates, but didn't specifiy where or when.

midnightman
07-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Nice review. Glad Susaye performed some of the '70s Supremes tunes and Scherrie doing songs she helped to write hits for [[as usual). Nice picture too. :)

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Nice review. Glad Susaye performed some of the '70s Supremes tunes and Scherrie doing songs she helped to write hits for [[as usual). Nice picture too. :)

Thank you midnightman:)

theboyfromxtown
07-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Joseph

It is indeed a small world but I'm so glad you guys were able to meet on such a momentous occasion.

I hope you gave the ladies the thumbs up sign for a future concert in London!

westgrandboulevard
07-07-2014, 03:48 PM
....very ably supported by The Velvelettes, of course.....

Methuselah2
07-07-2014, 04:46 PM
So enjoyed your review, SS.

But after that forgotten ticket story, I keep visualizing you a' la Madeline Kahn in "WHAT'S UP, DOC?" as she's pulling the banquet hostest across the banquet room floor face down as the hostest refuses to let go of Madeline's leg!

blueskies
07-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Off hand I do not know if she has a website or not, or where else it might be available.

Thanks SS, I thought maybe this was just sold at shows? I checked around the internet and couldn't find anything. Lucky you!
Great reviews to all those that contributed!

rod_rick
07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks SS, I thought maybe this was just sold at shows? I checked around the internet and couldn't find anything. Lucky you!

Do any one know these ladies are with Scherrie?

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Joseph

It is indeed a small world but I'm so glad you guys were able to meet on such a momentous occasion.

I hope you gave the ladies the thumbs up sign for a future concert in London!

Fred is a real sweet dude, no Hollywood pretense, and I really enjoyed talking music with him. I felt like super geek talking to ultimate geek. Great fun. I am definitely rooting for a London show John. The ladies have always been treated so well in the UK. I can't imagine them not wanting to do London if it's at all possible.

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 06:48 PM
....very ably supported by The Velvelettes, of course.....

Sounds good to me, Roger.:)

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 06:57 PM
So enjoyed your review, SS.

But after that forgotten ticket story, I keep visualizing you a' la Madeline Kahn in "WHAT'S UP, DOC?" as she's pulling the banquet hostest across the banquet room floor face down as the hostest refuses to let go of Madeline's leg!

Thank you Bruce. I tell you I honestly do not know what I would have done if Sydney hadn't come through for me. Yeah, I can see myself pulling a Eunice and dragging the poor ticket lady in behind me. LOL!!!;)

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Thank you blueskies. I wish I could be more helpful about the Pam CD. I had no idea it existed prior to this show, so I grabbed it immediately. I was so busy thanking Pam for all the great work she has been a part of that I didn't think to ask about a website or anything like that. Maybe some one else on the forum will have more information.

skooldem1
07-07-2014, 08:02 PM
The Hollywood Reporter

Four Decades Later, Two Final Supremes Give First Live Performance of Their 1979 Album 'Partners' -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/four-decades-two-final-supremes-716866#sthash.UpmMw4lx.dpuf

kenneth
07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Do any one know these ladies are with Scherrie?

I'm pretty sure the lady on the left was part of Scherrie's crew. I believe she was hanging out in the "backstage" tent. After the performance, she was the one I spoke to in order to ask if the ladies would sign my album.

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Kenneth's review was on point,i was there also,yes Scherrie payne and Susaye Greene looked great and sounded great,it was a special night for The Supremes partners,and fans,Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You Ever Done, Your Sweet Love,In The Night,With 2 dancers from Soul Train,then Scherrie talks about her days as a Supreme,and all the ladies of The Supremes,and went into I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking,and Scherrie and Susaye shared the lead,and sounded great,Susaye said she love this song,since she was a little girl,she sang Alfie,and she sang it,the best i ever heard,any other singer, sang it,with a standing ovation,Scherrie sang Another Life From Now,i'm like wow Scherrie gave a super vocal performance,with a standing ovation, then The Supremes Partners went into High Engery,and this was another highlight,Scherrie and Susay shared the lead on this,and DAMMMMMMMM they were Super great,they had everyone on they're feet,who ever did the arrangement High Energy did a great job,it was so good,i didn't want it to end lol,Susay sings Children Of The Ghetto, with her son,and it was amazing,i could hear it on the radio today,with another standing ovation,and that was the end of Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene's set,trust me both Supremes Partners were PHENOMENAL,Susaye said they may take this show on the road,i agree the show should have ended with Scherrie and Susaye on stage together,maybe it should have ended the show with High Energy,anyway i love it,no matter what,Thanks Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,THE BEST

Great review redhot! I agree, there was nothing but love and appreciation shown for the ladies all night long. And they returned the love and gave us an incredible show. We were all so fortunate to be able to attend this very special event.

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the lady on the left was part of Scherrie's crew. I believe she was hanging out in the "backstage" tent. After the performance, she was the one I spoke to in order to ask if the ladies would sign my album.

I think your right Kenneth. I think the lady on the left was actually assisting the lady on the right. They were sitting close to where I was seated. And I kept thinking to myself the lady on the right seemed very familiar to me but I couldn't place her.

franjoy56
07-07-2014, 09:55 PM
You're welcome! Thanks for reading it!
Kenny thanks for a fantastic review I cant wait for scherrie and susaye to hit the east coast. I will be playing my cooy of partners tonite.

REDHOT
07-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Thank Sophisticated Soul,i also saw someone video taping the show,i'd love to get my hands on a copy lol,i thought it would have been nice,had Mary Wilson showed her face in the place,just to show support,for her Supremes sister,i'm just saying

blueskies
07-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Was Lynda Laurence or Cindy Birdsong there? I know Cindy has been ill....so, I understand her not being there. Seems odd Lynda wouldn't be there supporting two of the Flos.

franjoy56
07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Kenny you out yourself with this rrview thank u for sharing. I cant wsit for scherrie and sussye, s show comes to the east coast.

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 11:12 PM
The Hollywood Reporter

Four Decades Later, Two Final Supremes Give First Live Performance of Their 1979 Album 'Partners' -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/four-decades-two-final-supremes-716866#sthash.UpmMw4lx.dpuf

Thanks for the link skooldem. The photo is great and the description of the night is pretty accurate to me.

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Thank Sophisticated Soul,i also saw someone video taping the show,i'd love to get my hands on a copy lol,i thought it would have been nice,had Mary Wilson showed her face in the place,just to show support,for her Supremes sister,i'm just saying

I'd loved to get my hands on a video too! I haven't been able to find any photos on line yet either. Except the one at the link skooldem posted above [[post #94). Mary attending the show crossed my mine too. Now, that would have been something!:)

sophisticated_soul
07-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Was Lynda Laurence or Cindy Birdsong there? I know Cindy has been ill....so, I understand her not being there. Seems odd Lynda wouldn't be there supporting two of the Flos.

Neither was there. When Scherrie was discussing the history of the members of The Supremes and came to Lynda's name, she [[Lynda) got a very strong audience response. I thought it unlikely Cindy would be there, but what a moment that would have been! I probably would have lost it completely.:)

rod_rick
07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Neither was there. When Scherrie was discussing the history of the members of The Supremes and came to Lynda's name, she [[Lynda) got a very strong audience response. I thought it unlikely Cindy would be there, but what a moment that would have been! I probably would have lost it completely.:)

I think Mary would have supported the ladies had she been in town but if Im not mistaken she was on her way to a gig for Sunday the 6th. As for Lynda and can't recall her attending a Scherrie Payne or Mary Wilson solo performance. I remember back in the 80's she [[Lynda) and Mary both supported a Jean Terrell solo performance. I recall back in 2009 Scherrie mention to me that Lynda was planing to attend a Mary Wilson gig but she was out of town. I'm sure if Freddie Poole was in town she would have been at the show as well. I can say that Scherrie support all the ladies whenever possible.

rod_rick
07-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Hit Pam up on facebook regarding her cd
https://www.facebook.com/pam.vincent.31?fref=ts

kenneth
07-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Kenny thanks for a fantastic review I cant wait for scherrie and susaye to hit the east coast. I will be playing my cooy of partners tonite.

Thank you Franjoy! I really appreciate that, knowing how big of a fellow Motown lover you are!

kenneth
07-08-2014, 01:03 AM

It was nice how Scherrie spoke so warmly and in high regard for all the former Supremes. She really spoke warmly about Mary who also got a lot of applause from the audience.

sophisticated_soul
07-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Hit Pam up on facebook regarding her cd
https://www.facebook.com/pam.vincent.31?fref=ts

Thank you very much for that information, rod_rick. I'm not on facebook and I didn't even think of that.

kenneth
07-08-2014, 01:33 AM

By my estimation it was about 85% of capacity. I thought it was a good turnout though of course it should have been a sellout. Still, the room seemed full, there weren't many empty seats. Hard to gauge the number of attendees...maybe the others who were there can estimate better than I can. I'd say about 750...?

LadyLola
07-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Kenny you out yourself with this rrview thank u for sharing. I cant wsit for scherrie and sussye, s show comes to the east coast.

I aggre he reuly out himself in the rvieww. I hope can see sherry andy suzzsey s
show to.

kenneth
07-08-2014, 03:21 AM
I aggre he reuly out himself in the rvieww. I hope can see sherry andy suzzsey s
show to.

Thank you Lady!

sophisticated_soul
07-08-2014, 03:05 PM
The Hollywood Reporter

When I first responded to this post, I said this description of the evening was very accurate to me. It should have been, it was written by Fred Bronson who was sitting next to me! I didn't realize he was the author until now. So much for by keen powers of observation! LOL!!!:o

theboyfromxtown
07-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Joseph

Do I dare post the picture!!!

sophisticated_soul
07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Oh John Lester you are angel for finding this for me. Thank You so much. You are theboyfromxtown!:)

Scherrie and me!

midnight johnny
07-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Oh John Lester you are angel for finding this for me. Thank You so much. You are theboyfromxtown!:)

Scherrie and me!

8276 ....a shot of Tequila and a Tall drink of Water!!

sophisticated_soul
07-08-2014, 05:51 PM
....a shot of Tequila and a Tall drink of Water!!

My Scherrie Amour and me. I think I'm gonna cry!:rolleyes:

westgrandboulevard
07-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Well, it's a simply great picture, Scherrie looks wonderful.....and I'm just sat here, wondering how it is that your [[reportedly!) pink shirt is looking not only so very crisp, but also so very white.......

sophisticated_soul
07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Well, it's a simply great picture, Scherrie looks wonderful.....and I'm just sat here, wondering how it is that your [[reportedly!) pink shirt is looking not only so very crisp, but also so very white.......

It was pinker in person:)

westgrandboulevard
07-08-2014, 06:36 PM
So am I.......LOL

carlo
07-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Joseph, I am loving that great pic of you and Scherrie! I am so happy for you and loved reading your review. I so badly wanted to be there and would have made the trip for the show if I didn't have work and course assignments holding me back. I hope some video surfaces and/or that they do the show in a few more cities! Would love to see it. Maybe we need to start requesting it? It would do great in New York! I am so happy that Scherrie and Susaye are getting so much love and respect. So well deserved!

sophisticated_soul
07-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Joseph, I am loving that great pic of you and Scherrie! I am so happy for you and loved reading your review. I so badly wanted to be there and would have made the trip for the show if I didn't have work and course assignments holding me back. I hope some video surfaces and/or that they do the show in a few more cities! Would love to see it. Maybe we need to start requesting it? It would do great in New York! I am so happy that Scherrie and Susaye are getting so much love and respect. So well deserved!

Thank you Carlo. I feel so blessed that I was able to attend, when so many others wanted to be there and couldn't. It was the most fun I've had in long time. I'm still walking on a cloud. This is going to hurt when I come down. LOL! Dig it man! A photo of just me and Scherrie! That is what I am talking about LOL!!! The event was surreal to me when it was happening and now that it has passed it all seems like some fantastic and wonderful dream I had:).

sophisticated_soul
07-08-2014, 10:20 PM
I am so happy that Scherrie and Susaye are getting so much love and respect. So well deserved!

And they were getting a lot of love and respect Saturday night! I think it's fantastic that "Partners" seems to be doing more for them this time around. And yes, they so deserve it!:)

sgianatos
07-13-2014, 08:24 PM
After Charlo Crossley killed it, Scherrie and Susaye took the stage and did a great show [considering no sound check and only 1 rehearsal with the band]. I had not seen Susaye perform since the Roostertail shows in Detroit when Mary, Scherrie & Susaye was released. There was great chemistry between the ladies and they all looked fantastic. I hope more opportunities come their way. My partner, Carla Marlowe, who is my Art Director on photo and video shoots for RGP, kept saying, "Oh, I like that song. I've never heard that one." She repeated that throughout the whole evening. She had never heard anything except Scherrie's "Another Life From Now." She was blown away by the performances and the material. She demanded I make a copy of the CD for her to play in her car. :rolleyes:
When it was all over, Pam and Joyce Vincent and Carla were glad to give their feet a rest. The Vincent Sisters were please with the appreciation for their hard word and Carla could only think about getting her very high heels off and slide into the slippers on the ride home.

sophisticated_soul
07-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Sgianatos, thank you for posting these wonderful photos. That fantastic concert just keeps on giving.:)

I am also very grateful for the over 4,700 views this thread has received. I think that speaks volumes for how much folks want to see Scherrie & Susaye do more dates. I certainly hope they do. Thanks again folks.:cool:

kenneth
07-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Pam Vincent's hairdo reminds me of Mary Wilson's in the mid-60s.

Also, I was wondering, did anyone buy the Joyce Vincent CD? I'd love to know how it sounds.

sophisticated_soul
07-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Did Joyce have a CD too? I bought Pam's "Sings The Classics". I like it very much, five of the songs are Top 40 classics and the other five are American Songbook classics. The album is an organic project, production is simple and basic. Pam has a very soothing voice and this CD is very enjoyable to listen to.:)

kenneth
07-14-2014, 01:37 AM
Did Joyce have a CD too? I bought Pam's "Sings The Classics". I like it very much, five of the songs are Top 40 classics and the other five are American Songbook classics. The album is an organic project, production is simple and basic. Pam has a very soothing voice and this CD is very enjoyable to listen to.:)

Sorry, I did mean Joyce. Thanks for filling me in.

Methuselah2
07-14-2014, 02:22 AM

If a picture speaks a thousand words, let me start with "Ooo-wee!"

That face! That hair! That outfit! That 'je ne sais quoi'! That everything!

Oh, and Scherrie looks nice, too.

[[Just kidding. Scherrie looks her gorgeous self.)

Photo of the Year! Am I right or am I right?!

sophisticated_soul
07-14-2014, 03:44 AM
If a picture speaks a thousand words, let me start with "Ooo-wee!"

That face! That hair! That outfit! That 'je ne sais quoi'! That everything!

Oh, and Scherrie looks nice, too.

[[Just kidding. Scherrie looks her gorgeous self.)

Photo of the Year! Am I right or am I right?!

LOL!!! Thank you Bruce. It's definitely the photo of my year that's for sure! Until the last second I didn't even know a photo was being taken. I had managed to get Scherrie off to the side of the crowd and asked her to autograph my album. As she was reaching for the pen someone said "look up". We both looked up and the photo was snapped, I had no idea who took it or if I would ever see a copy of it. It wound up on Facebook. A wonderful souvenir of a fabulous evening.:)