PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue May 27, 9P-12M ET: TCMS....'69 is still the year!

test

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Howdy, my Nightflight Beauties! Tonight, we continue with terrific and transitional year for Motown...1969! An amazing year culturally for those of us that were around....we had "... one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", Woodstock, PBS was established, Chappaquiddick, the trial begins of the "Chicago Seven", and Richard Nixon becomes the POTUS....and so much more. What were YOU doing in '69? I joined the Navy and didn't see the world...but I DID see much more than I expected! So....that's tonight...on "Nightflight" ...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thank you a whole lot! John

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 06:08 PM
I graduated from San Diego High School in June of 1969. I saw Diana Ross and the Supremes live in concert for the second time in August 1969, and started Mesa Jr. College in September of 1969. The 60's was a tumultuous decade for our country and for me personally. Upheaval and change brought many good things but at a very high price. We grew as a country but it was violent and painful growth. Inspite of or maybe because of this painful growth, the music of the times was amazing. And not just Motown, the variety of music available, successful and compatible in the 60's was astounding. Of course, this is just my opinion, the way I saw it then. And today In my opinion no decade since the 60's has produced such a wide variety of creativity in music.

John, I look forward to joining you and the gang tonight for Motown 1969!:)

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Hey, Joe!!! We can play 2 handed Whist!

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Oooops.....in the studio......Howdy!!!

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Hey, Joe!!! We can play 2 handed Whist!

But what do I do with my third and fourth hands?;)

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 08:59 PM
But what do I do with my third and fourth hand?;)

.........................Guess!

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 09:01 PM
.........................Guess!

I'll use them to climb up the ladder to the roof!;)

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 09:03 PM
"grin"................................

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 09:05 PM
"You and me, you and me, baby, you and me . . . "

Love Story - Diana Ross

Glenpwood
05-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Evening all!

Sorry I'm slightly late. Was playing Evie Sands "Estate Of Mind" LP since I figured "I Love Makin' Love To You" would get me in the proper mood to 1969 and it felt so nice I have to play the darn thing twice;)

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Evening all!

Sorry I'm slightly late. Was playing Evie Sands "Estate Of Mind" LP since I figured "I Love Makin' Love To You" would get me in the proper mood to 1969 and it felt so nice I have to play the darn thing twice;)

3 on a match!!! Glen....Howdy do and how are you!!! Ohhhh....'69 was THAT kind of year for you....

thomas96
05-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Listening while I watch the game.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Listening while I watch the game.

Welcome Thomas!!! What were you doing in '69?

MotownLover
05-27-2014, 09:20 PM
I graduated from San Diego High School in June of 1969. I saw Diana Ross and the Supremes live in concert for the second time in August 1969, and started Mesa Jr. College in September of 1969. The 60's was a tumultuous decade for our country and for me personally. Upheaval and change brought many good things but at a very high price. We grew as a country but it was violent and painful growth. Inspite of or maybe because of this painful growth, the music of the times was amazing. And not just Motown, the variety of music available, successful and compatible in the 60's was astounding. Of course, this is just my opinion, the way I saw it then. And today In my opinion no decade since the 60's has produced such a wide variety of creativity in music.

John, I look forward to joining you and the gang tonight for Motown 1969!:)

sophisticasted_soul - what you've stated I can really thoroughly identify with. I too graduated from high school in June 1969 [[Carson High School, Carson, CA). The times were changing and lots of upheaval with demonstrations over Vietnam, the hippy movement with people checking out going to love-ins, and really getting into music and you name it. So much creativeness in music came out of the 60s and 70s, yes? It's great to relive the period thru music!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

MotownLover
05-27-2014, 09:22 PM
John - couldn't hold off replying to what sophisticated_soul posted earlier, but I've arrived and know that you've got a humdinger of a show for wezin's tonight... :D

Howard in Long Beach, CA

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 09:26 PM
sophisticasted_soul - what you've stated I can really thoroughly identify with. I too graduated from high school in June 1969 [[Carson High School, Carson, CA). The times were changing and lots of upheaval with demonstrations over Vietnam, the hippy movement with people checking out going to love-ins, and really getting into music and you name it. So much creativeness in music came out of the 60s and 70s, yes? It's great to relive the period thru music!

Welcome, Howard!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Glenpwood
3 on a match!!! Glen....Howdy do and how are you!!! Ohhhh....'69 was THAT kind of year for you....

Well now that Ive reached an age where if I follow typical online behavior supposed to rollback everything like my age, waist dimensions, and weight then take the extra and apply it to my height and certain appendages like so many do i would always be eternally 18..... BUT.... In reality I arrived 6 years too late to this world to experience the glory of the age of aquarius firsthand.... :[[

At least I get to experience the fabulous music the year left behind!

carole cucumber
Hi Johnny, I just signed on. You obviously asked a question about the Supremes. You then stated that you did not have the libretto. What was the question? I'll pull out my TCMS if needed.

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 09:28 PM

The music was an integral part of the times. I might not have made it through the 1960's were it not for the music, especially Motown. So these wonderful songs have the power to bring back those memories with amazing clarity.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Johnny, I just signed on. You obviously asked a question about the Supremes. You then stated that you did not have the libretto. What was the question? I'll pull out my TCMS if needed.

WElcome, Carole!!!That would be great...thank you!!! The question was who is backing Marvin on "Where ever I Lay My Hat...."

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 09:32 PM
The libretto says 'the Andantes'.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 09:33 PM
The libretto says 'the Andantes'.

Shocker!!! Wow....thanks, Carole!!!!

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 09:35 PM
The Honest Men were a Dutch band. Motown merely picked up this single for the V.I.P. label but did not bid on any more releases by the group.

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 09:41 PM
My guess is that since the Tee Set: [[another Dutch band) had a hit with "Ma Belle Amie" in 1969, the search was on to find another Dutch band that Motown could sign, and hopefully enjoy similar success.

MotownLover
05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
I have to share that I ran into a guy at a local sports bar here in El Segundo, CA when a group of my co-workers and I were out for "happy hour." He had a CAPE COD t-shirt on, so I asked him if he's heard of WOMR radio. His response was yes! I understand that he and his wife [[retired PD) purchased a "summer home" there in recent years. Must be nice, yes?

Howard in Long Beach, CA :)

Glenpwood
05-27-2014, 09:48 PM
My guess is that since the Tee Set: [[another Dutch band) had a hit with "Ma Belle Amie" in 1969, the search was on to find another Dutch band that Motown could sign, and hopefully enjoy similar success.

Ma Belle Amie hit in the winter[[feb-mar) of 1970 during a mini Dutch invasion when it shared top 10 space with Venus by the Shocking Blue. Perhaps Motown was too early in the Honest Men's case...

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Some who bought this Jr. Walker single Soul 35062, got a record that said "Brainwasher Part 1" on the label but actually contained an unreleased song by the Originals that some books title "Don't Try To Look In My Mind"

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Ma Belle Amie hit in the winter[[feb-mar) of 1970 during a mini Dutch invasion when it shared top 10 space with Venus by the Shocking Blue. Perhaps Motown was too early in the Honest Men's case...

The song hit big in 1969 in the Netherlands. So, yes, they were probably anticipating.

supremester
05-27-2014, 10:08 PM
I like Don't let The Jones' ......it's so derivitive it's kind of like a Temptations Greatest Hits package in one song. I had the album, but bought the single cuz I needed it for stacking. The mono mix was more bombastic anyway.

Hello JP, JM etc

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 10:11 PM
You nailed the other groups that recorded "Since I've Lost You.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 10:13 PM

Thanks Glen......!!!!!

texassoul
05-27-2014, 10:13 PM
1969, I was 16, sneaking [[or bribing) my way into nightclubs to see the likes of Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Ike & Tina, Archie Bell, etc. It was a great time in my life.

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 10:18 PM
This "Just Ain't Enough Love" is a different mix from Tamla 54146, where it first appeared. The b-side was ""Take Some Time Out From Love" which had already seen release as Tamla 54133 -A.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 10:23 PM
You nailed the other groups that recorded "Since I've Lost You.

Phew....thanks, Carole!!! Some things I do know...love the song by anyone!!!

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 10:26 PM
johnny,
Here's a hint for GGTL- Muck-Arty-Park.

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Yes, they were pronouncing it lie-locks. And this version was first assigned to..... the Temptations.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 10:30 PM
1969, I was 16, sneaking [[or bribing) my way into nightclubs to see the likes of Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Ike & Tina, Archie Bell, etc. It was a great time in my life.

Mike...Welcome!!! Great for you that you saw so many classic artists!!!

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 10:31 PM
johnny,

Thanks bunches, Carole!!!

texassoul
05-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Mike...Welcome!!! Great for you that you saw so many classic artists!!!

Only the tip of the iceberg, John......many more. Only missed seeing Otis. :o[[[[

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Only the tip of the iceberg, John......many more. Only missed seeing Otis. :o[[[[

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 10:51 PM
johnny,

Strange thing ... I wish I knew who did the write-up for GGTL by the Originals. The claim is made that Tammi Terrell also recorded it....yet it's not on her Complete Solo Collection.
Are Andy or George within reach to reply to that statement?
Looking at the band recording date of July 2, 1968 presents some issues, knowing what Tammi was going through at that time.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Strange thing ... I wish I knew who did the write-up for GGTL by the Originals. The claim is made that Tammi Terrell also recorded it....yet it's not on her Complete Solo Collection.
Are Andy or George within reach to reply to that statement?

I can ask.......

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Less than 4 years to go ... we should finish by late July, early August, maybe.

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Less than 4 years to go ... we should finish by late July, early August, maybe.

I know....gotta find some way to get the complete Invictus singles!!!!!

jboy88
05-27-2014, 11:09 PM
The Honest Men were a Dutch band. Motown merely picked up this single for the V.I.P. label but did not bid on any more releases by the group.

If you ask me, it was for the better! I can't stand that single. Which is saying a lot because some of the other Rock efforts from the same period [[Underdogs, Ones, Messengers) were pretty good IMO!

midnight johnny
05-27-2014, 11:12 PM
I know....gotta find some way to get the complete Invictus singles!!!!!

FYI....comes out in the middle of June

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:12 PM
A few interesting facts about the Claudette-less track- Recorded in New York, date unknown... produced by Smokey Robinson, Suzanne DePasse and The Miracles. i wonder how Suzanne got put in the middle, so to speak...

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Hmmh... the plot thickens/sickens.... the U.K. version of the Time Out album lists only Smokey as the producer of that track.
DFTMC also only lists Smokey as producer of AM&J

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:24 PM
The libretto mentions that Joe Stubbs recorded lead vocals to "We'll Have A Good Thing Going On" almost 4 months before David Ruffin did. Were Joe's vocals erased? The song is not listed among the titles on the upcoming Contours & Dennis Edwards U.K. [[1965-1968) set.

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Land sakes, Mr. Melvin Franklin sounds super sexy no matter how many times I hear "Try It Baby".

Glenpwood
05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Love the Temps/Drats cover of Try It Baby

supremester
05-27-2014, 11:32 PM
This was right after the first landing on the moon so it was topical at least.

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Captain Zap was released on the day of the Apollo 11 launch; 4 days later man would land on the moon.

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Did you catch the ending effect ... and its relation to the beginning of Stoned Love?

carole cucumber
05-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Libretto has an oh oh where's the proofreader moment or 2 . It says that the song Bobby's "Oh, I've Been Bless'd" 'finally did get issued as a single , the next year ' which would mean 1970.

sophisticated_soul
05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Nytol:cool:

midnight johnny
05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for a great show, folks!!! See you next week!