PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Swift Loves Motown & Diana Ross!

test

Lulu
05-27-2014, 01:11 PM
http://m.cmt.com/news/1727697/

thomas96
05-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Who's Taylor Swift?

Crystaledwards
05-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Who's Taylor Swift?

The grandmother of Clive Swift, from the BBC/PBS, sitcom, Keeping Up Appearances.

CE

smark21
05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Seriously, you have never heard of Taylor Swift Thomas96? If so, you're really out of it.

That out of the way, somehow I think the legacies of Motown and Diana Ross won't take too much of a hit by her endorsement.

thomas96
05-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Seriously, you have never heard of Taylor Swift Thomas96? If so, you're really out of it.

That out of the way, somehow I think the legacies of Motown and Diana Ross won't take too much of a hit by her endorsement.

I was being sarcastic like " Who's Taylor Swift compared to Motown?" "Nobody"... I've heard of this lady, but I'll be honest I've never heard a song of hers.

marv2
05-27-2014, 09:45 PM
I was being sarcastic like " Who's Taylor Swift compared to Motown?" "Nobody"... I've heard of this lady, but I'll be honest I've never heard a song of hers.

I am the one out of it, I thought Taylor Swift was a dude. A country singer or something! LOL!!!

marv2
05-28-2014, 12:11 AM
Just for facts sake, Taylor Swift was the top earning music act in 2013 at $39M. If you truly don't know who she is [[remember the Kanye moment...), you're seriously out of touch.

http://http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/5930326/music-s-top-40-money-makers-2014-the-rich-list

I could care less about a taylor swift or the amount of money she earns. She's means nothing to me.

thomas96
05-28-2014, 12:19 AM
I could care less about a taylor swift or the amount of money she earns. She's means nothing to me.

Right on Marv

Crystaledwards
05-28-2014, 12:20 AM

Then why take the time and energy to respond?

CE

marv2
05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Then why take the time and energy to respond?

CE

Because I want you to know it!

Crystaledwards
05-28-2014, 12:37 AM

That is terribly sweet if exceedingly insincere.

The truth however is your prosaic presence in every thread related to a woman you clearly dislike. You rarely, if ever let pass a chance to defame Diana Ross as if everything she does affects you personally.

CE

marymary
05-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Taylor Swift is basic and beige and your life is not missing anything if she is not a part of it. She probably thinks liking Motown is giving her super indie cred. And what kind of humanoid robot says things like "I really love that song because of the great key change in the chorus"? Who talks like that? rme

eta: the author must be an SD member because Swift doesn't actually say she's a Ross fan specifically, she says a song by the Tempts and the Supremes is her favorite at the moment. Obviously someone here decided to interpret that as "Taylor Swift - Diana's #1 fan, hates Mary Wilson [latter part unwritten but obviously implied]"...come forward author, you've been outed...

thisoldheart
05-28-2014, 03:02 AM
swift actually says she likes the song "i'm gonna make you love me" by the temps & the supremes. she, quite obviously, doesn't have a very broad knowledge of either group's broad catalog!

supremester
05-28-2014, 03:12 AM
Tom Swift's grandfather. Duh.
Who's Taylor Swift?

supremester
05-28-2014, 03:26 AM
This from the person who disses people who didd Mary on other sites calling them "losers with empty lives with nothing more to do than spread negativity" he adds "I feel sorry for you." Priceless! LOL!!!
hehehehehehehehehehe

antceleb12
05-28-2014, 07:36 AM
A) Can there be a thread where we DON'T attack Marv for something? Literally all he said was that he didn't know Taylor Swift or her music. Big whoppin' deal...

swift actually says she likes the song "i'm gonna make you love me" by the temps & the supremes. she, quite obviously, doesn't have a very broad knowledge of either group's broad catalog!

Actually, IGMYLM is not one of those mainstream Motown songs that everybody today knows. Sure, it was a hit in its day and will be known to well-versed Motown fans like us, but casual "fans" of Motown probably won't know this one. I'm impressed that Taylor mentions this one, as opposed to saying the old "Stop!" or "My Girl", and is able to talk about its musical structure.

thisoldheart
05-28-2014, 07:54 AM
A) Actually, IGMYLM is not one of those mainstream Motown songs that everybody today knows. Sure, it was a hit in its day and will be known to well-versed Motown fans like us, but casual "fans" of Motown probably won't know this one. I'm impressed that Taylor mentions this one, as opposed to saying the old "Stop!" or "My Girl", and is able to talk about its musical structure.
oh, i didn't want her to say "baby love" but rather "remove this doubt" or "going down for the third time. elvis costello recorded "remove this doubt" ... now, he is a person who knows music! he can also sing. i wouldn't say swift is any sort of song stylist, just a pop star who has sold a ton of records on her good looks.

skooldem1
05-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Well this thread took a left turn. Had the article mentioned that her favorite song was "Up the ladder to the roof" all of the responses would have been totally different.

Jimi LaLumia
05-28-2014, 05:06 PM
and I'm sure that global trillionaire superstar Taylor Swift isn't losing sleep over 'rants from the ant hill'..nor is Miss Ross, for that matter..lol

smark21
05-28-2014, 08:25 PM
It's rather silly and pathetic when some people have meltdowns or get angry when someone brings up a story about someone liking Diana Ross. ON the other hand, it's also a bit pitiful that there are some fans [[no matter the artist) who crave others publically validating their favorite act. To me it suggests a lack of confidence in one's owns tastes and enthusiasm.

AS for Taylor Swift, her music and singing aren't to my taste, but she knows how to write and appeal to her core fanbase of young women. She and her producers know how to craft catchy country/pop songs and tell stories her audience can relate to. So she knows what's she's talking about when talking about song structure.

thomas96
05-28-2014, 09:02 PM
All of you need to grow up.

marymary
05-28-2014, 09:51 PM
If you read the link I posted from The Country Music Television website, you'll see that Swift's mention of the song and Motown is from a Teen Vogue Q/A. Last time I checked, no one at SD writes for Teen Vogue and as antceleb12 says, this ain't exactly the MOST recognized Motown song out there so for a 24 year old country/pop singer who is literally the biggest deal out there [[not my taste personally as others on this thread have stated about their own feelings of Swift) [she is the music's biggest moneymaker in terms of record sales and concert tickets] to reference IGMYLM and discuss the key change and musicality is interesting as you'll usually hear the "today" folks just saying "Motown's great...etc etc". In hindsight, my thread title should have simply referenced the song and not the broader "Motown" or minute "Diana Ross" aspects of the piece. I was on my mobile device and the article came up in my "Feedly" blog roll which specifically tags Motown & Diana Ross [[among other words and phrases) and I copied the link, and pasted it into SD via the Chrome mobile app. Things have been relatively peaceful here [[aside from the debate about Diana Ross and airport behavior on some flight 48 years ago) so Marv and Mary weren't really on my mind.

If I get my hands on the physical copy of the magazine [[maybe one of my granddaughters subscribes!?!), I'll post it here so we can all see the context rather than the paraphrased, cherry picked blurb from the CMT website.

You are being really defensive. Nothing I said was a criticism or judgment of your post or its content; I mentioned my feelings about Taylor Swift, since she's the subject of the article, and made a joke that the CMT author's labeling someone's liking a Supremes/Tempts song as a "Diana Ross phase" is a very SD thing to do so "of course" one of us must be secretly moonlighting as a country music writer.

There is plenty of actual bickering here, no need to conjure it out of thin air.