PDA

View Full Version : The Ikettes...what'cha gonna do.

test

mowsville
05-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Apparently backing vocals by Patrice and Brenda Holloway...released in 1966...both I assume under contract to Motown at the time so how come they appear on this track and are there any other instances where artists signed to Motown appear on non Motown tracks.

robb_k
05-25-2014, 07:17 PM
I thought I remember Brenda saying that she and Patrice "moonlighted", singing backgrounds on L.A. non-Motown recordings after they were signed to Motown. They were regular background singers with Hal Davis and all the Jobete Music L.A. office producers, who were allowed, by contract, to produce non-Motown acts. If Martha Reeves and The Supremes could moonlight in Detroit, right under Berry's nose, why is it surprising that The Holloway Sisters could do it out in L.A.?

mowsville
05-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Thanks robb...I had no idea that this was common practise...do you know what recordings the Supremes and Martha moonlighted on?....would be interesting to know

rrussi
05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
The song was recorded in California where they both lived. It was issued as the B side to "Down, Down" on the Phi-Dan label, part of Phil Spector Productions. Both sides were produced by Ike Turner, but the A side he tried creating a Phil Spector sound.

TheCamelWalk
01-20-2017, 11:47 AM
And, which no-one has noted, lead vocals by Pat [[P.P.) Arnold