PDA

View Full Version : List of songs that the Originals sang background on?

test

thomas96
05-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Clarify between ones you know for sure and ones you just believe. I think this will be a good reference thread. To start,

Know for sure:

I've Passed This Way Before - Jimmy Ruffin
What Becomes of the Brokenhearted - Jimmy Ruffin
You - Marvin Gaye
Chained - Marvin Gaye
Just to Keep You Satisfied - Marvin Gaye

I know some more but can't think this late, will add more tomorrow...
Please help make this a good reference thread by adding all that you can think of.

marv2
05-23-2014, 12:15 AM
"My Whole World Ended" - David Ruffin
"For Once In My Life" - Stevie Wonder
"25 Miles" - Edwin Star
has the Originals on background vocals.

no_place_like_motown
05-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Here Comes The Judge - Shorty Long

longtimefan
05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
I know that The Originals had several excellent albums and compilations. Did they regularly perform in live concerts and clubs during that period? I have no recollection of them performing.

snakepit
05-23-2014, 07:58 AM
The Originals need a re-issue.
The same concept that worked on the Gladys Knight & Pips 2fers would be ideal.

thomas96
05-23-2014, 08:19 AM
I know that The Originals had several excellent albums and compilations. Did they regularly perform in live concerts and clubs during that period? I have no recollection of them performing.

They did tour, but not regularly. A lot of their time was spent in the studio recording backups. They were the male counterpart of the Andantes.

marv2
05-23-2014, 08:31 AM
They did tour, but not regularly. A lot of their time was spent in the studio recording backups. They were the male counterpart of the Andantes.

That's pretty much my understanding.

splanky
05-23-2014, 09:00 AM
From what I remember they also did the back ups on Marvin's Sad Tommorows which
was the b-side version of Flying High In The Friendly Sky from What's Goin' On...Marvin
loved their harmonies...

westgrandboulevard
05-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Isn't that The Pips backing Marvin on "You" - ?

I can clearly hear Gladys between 1.18-1.27, and 1.55-2.03....

marv2
05-23-2014, 09:43 AM
They are on the backgrounds of Edwin Starr's "WAR!", along with some other singers.......

reese
05-23-2014, 09:46 AM

Just recently, Gladys said that she and the Pips did the backgrounds for YOU. Of course, the Originals could be on there as well, but she didn't mention them.

jboy88
05-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Just recently, Gladys said that she and the Pips did the backgrounds for YOU. Of course, the Originals could be on there as well, but she didn't mention them.

Yep, Those are the pips and Gladys on "You"! I also hear them on Marvin's version of "At Last" and on "I Pray Everyday [[You Won't Regret Loving Me) the latter being appropriate since Gladys and Bubba wrote it.

marv2
05-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Yep, Those are the pips and Gladys on "You"! I also hear them on Marvin's version of "At Last" and on "I Pray Everyday [[You Won't Regret Loving Me) the latter being appropriate since Gladys and Bubba wrote it.

Wow, this is something I never knew. Thank you.

marv2
05-23-2014, 12:02 PM

There really should be a nice re-issue done on the Originals. An deluxe expanded edition of some of Gladys & the Pips albums would be great as well.

thomas96
05-23-2014, 12:05 PM

It's a combination. I know for sure that Hank and Freddie are singing harmony on the deeper 'You' part that kind of syncs with the bass. Gladys is on it, not sure which Pips or any other Originals, but some kind of combination.

The Originals sing on pretty much the whole "In The Groove" album from Marvin.

snakepit
05-23-2014, 12:42 PM
thomas 96
"The Originals sing on pretty much the whole "In The Groove" album from Marvin."

The In "the Groove album", as with all Motown albums prior to about 1971 would be made up of many sessions , spread over quite a long time, with various producers...A & S, Ivy Hunter, Norman Whitfield,Mickey Gentile, Frank Wilson etc...whilst The Original would definitely feature heavily, we can't know who are on the album for sure.

RossHolloway
05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Weren't the Spinners still doing backgound work?

thomas96
05-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Weren't the Spinners still doing backgound work?

From '63-'65 they did the bulk of the male background vocals but after that, and I'm not sure why, they didn't do nearly as much. They toured a lot more, and even did a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and organizing of the tours.

thomas96
05-23-2014, 03:03 PM
thomas 96
"The Originals sing on pretty much the whole "In The Groove" album from Marvin."

The In "the Groove album", as with all Motown albums prior to about 1971 would be made up of many sessions , spread over quite a long time, with various producers...A & S, Ivy Hunter, Norman Whitfield,Mickey Gentile, Frank Wilson etc...whilst The Original would definitely feature heavily, we can't know who are on the album for sure.

I know for sure they are on at least 4 of those songs, and I believe others as well. True we can't know for sure who exactly, but I do know on You, Chained, At Last [[I Found A Love), Tear It On Down [[Originals even had their own version of this track too), and I believe Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever, and Every Now & Then.

nabob
05-25-2014, 09:03 AM
AMEN!!! Only three of the original eight LPs made CD debuts.

If I remember correctly, the GKP reissues were only done in the EU and not here in the US. The only one I purchased included a few bonus cuts and a booklet, but lacked good artwork. Full-size cover shots in the booklet would be greatly appreciated with any Original's reissues.

snakepit
05-25-2014, 02:13 PM
AMEN!!! Only three of the original eight LPs made CD debuts.

If I remember correctly, the GKP reissues were only done in the EU and not here in the US. The only one I purchased included a few bonus cuts and a booklet, but lacked good artwork. Full-size cover shots in the booklet would be greatly appreciated with any Original's reissues.

Agreed , but if it's a choice of booklet/photos not used to spare costs then I'll accept that.
The GK&Ps were an ideal comprise ....and would work for the Originals LPs.