PDA

View Full Version : 50 Years Ago: Motown Records' First No. 1 Single!

test

marv2
05-19-2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6091979/motown-records-first-no-1-single-mary-wells

Fifty years ago today [[May 16, 1964) the Motown Records label celebrated its first No. 1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 with Mary Wells' "My Guy," a song written and produced by Smokey Robinson.

The achievement came only a handful of years after the label's founder, Berry Gordy Jr., borrowed $800 to launch in 1959 what would become the Motown Record Corporation.

Tamla Records was actually the first Motown label, debuting in 1959, and the first of the company's labels to hit No. 1. Tamla's "Please Mr. Postman," by the Marvelettes, topped the Hot 100 on Dec. 11, 1961.

Smokey Robinson Records Duets Album With Elton John, James Taylor & More Friends

By the early 1960s, the company had three major labels with Tamla Records, Motown Records and Gordy Records. Tamla's artists included the Miracles, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Motown Records' roster featured Wells, the Supremes, Four Tops, Jackson 5, Commodores and Boyz II Men. Gordy was home to the likes of Martha & the Vandellas, the Temptations, Rick James and Debarge.

Combined, the three labels scored more than 50 No. 1 singles on the Hot 100 -- with the bulk of them coming from the Motown Records label.

Motown Records' No. 1s include 12 for the Supremes -- the most of any American group in the 55-year history of the chart. The Supremes' Diana Ross went on to her own successful solo career with Motown, charting six No. 1s.

This story first appeared on THR.com

thomas96
05-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Wow. I'm surprised it took so long for a #1 on the Motown sub.. Amazing that it's been 50 years.

marv2
05-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Wow. I'm surprised it took so long for a #1 on the Motown sub.. Amazing that it's been 50 years.

I cannot believe it's been 50 years either. What an amazing milestone!

Roberta75
05-19-2014, 10:30 PM

And we have the amazing Mr Berry Gordy for starting Motown Records and 50 year later people are still loving the music from the company he create back then.

God continue to bless Mr Berry Gordy.

Respectfully.

Roberta

thomas96
05-19-2014, 10:39 PM
And we have the amazing Mr Berry Gordy for starting Motown Records and 50 year later people are still loving the music from the company he create back then.

Respectfully.

Roberta

As much as many of us here disagree, and even argue, I must say it is truly amazing that we are even still discussing these subjects 50 years later. And we all have the love for this kind of music in common.

marv2
05-19-2014, 11:09 PM

Respectfully.

Roberta

God Bless Mary Well's soul and her children! Even though she left us with so much great music that will be enjoyed for years and years, she died virtually broke! She never received all that she was due financially and that is a crime.

Lulu
05-19-2014, 11:23 PM
According to the liner notes to Looking Back 1961-1964:

The Rhythm and Blues Foundation, along with Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen, and the Temptations, had helped to pay her medical bills.

The essay was written by David Ritz. Can anyone verify that this information is true? Based on what I read here on the forums about Mr. Gordy and Miss Ross, this seems fabricated.

Roberta75
05-19-2014, 11:31 PM

The Rhythm and Blues Foundation, along with Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen, and the Temptations, had helped to pay her medical bills.

The essay was written by David Ritz. Can anyone verify that this information is true? Based on what I read here on the forums about Mr. Gordy and Miss Ross, this seems fabricated.

Diane and Bruce and Mr Gordy and the Rythum Blues Foundation all help pay Marys medical bills and funeral.

Poor Mary Wells struggled with heroin addictions for years and years and had a history of getting involved with violent and abusive men. Shes at peace now and with her Lord and Saviour. All her trials Lord and finally over.

Fondly,

Roberta

marv2
05-19-2014, 11:32 PM

Why didn't you mention the benefit concert Mary Wilson and Anita Baker organized for Mary Wells?

Roberta75
05-19-2014, 11:32 PM
As much as many of us here disagree, and even argue, I must say it is truly amazing that we are even still discussing these subjects 50 years later. And we all have the love for this kind of music in common.

Isnt that the truth.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Lulu
05-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Diane and Bruce and Mr Gordy and the Rythum Blues Foundation all help pay Marys medical bills and funeral.

Poor Mary Wells struggled with heroin addictions for years and years and had a history of getting involved with violent and abusive men. Shes at peace now and with her Lord and Saviour. All her trials Lord and finally over.

Fondly,

Roberta

Yes indeed - she is smiling down on us all Miss Roberta...singing with a lovely choir that I know includes Dee Dee Warwick and Vesta Williams.

roger
05-21-2014, 03:36 AM
And fifty years ago TODAY [[on the 21st May 1964) "My Guy" became Motown's first ever U.K. chart entrant when it debuted on the U.K. singles chart ..

The song didn't quite get to #1 in the U.K. [[it peaked at #5) but is still a firm favourite here and was the first of many Motown recordings to become huge U.K. hits!!

:)

Roger

westgrandboulevard
05-21-2014, 04:40 AM
....not to overlook that it twice became a hit in UK, when re-released ten years later in 1974...and reaching #14 [[?)...:)

roger
05-21-2014, 05:21 AM
....not to overlook that it twice became a hit in UK, when re-released ten years later in 1974...and reaching #14 [[?)...:)

It was actually re-released in 1972 as TMG 820 westgrandboulevard, as you stated it peaked on reissue at #14. I suspect you are confusing it with "Baby Love" which peaked at #12 when reissued in 1974.

Roger

westgrandboulevard
05-21-2014, 06:49 AM
That's right, 1972. And serves me right for thinking too hard about the chart position, when typing the date at speed [[no, I wasn't thinking about 'Baby Love' just at that moment....)

I can't remember if I actually bought it [[!) but think the flipside to ' My Guy' in 1972 had two tracks - 'You Lost The Sweetest Boy' and 'Two Lovers'? A nice package.....

midnightman
05-21-2014, 06:20 PM
"My Guy" only makes me wish Mary had stayed in Motown. She would've seriously took off further than she did imho. Her life is both a tragedy and a triumph over adversity and hard knocks though.

satipe
05-21-2014, 06:30 PM
I think that a Billboard reporter did not do a good job researching this story. My very good friend Katherine Schaffner was a member of The Marvelettes and they had Motown's first number one on the pop charts in 1961 with "Please Mr. Postman". These incorrect stories drive her nuts but in the end, she always says, "It's okay and it's all that and there is nothing I can really do about it." Well Kat...I thought I would do something and fix the error here.

vgalindo
05-21-2014, 07:04 PM
I think that a Billboard reporter did not do a good job researching this story. My very good friend Katherine Schaffner was a member of The Marvelettes and they had Motown's first number one on the pop charts in 1961 with "Please Mr. Postman". These incorrect stories drive her nuts but in the end, she always says, "It's okay and it's all that and there is nothing I can really do about it." Well Kat...I thought I would do something and fix the error here.
Yes it was the first number one for the company. But it was released on the Tamla record label and My Guy was the first on the Motown Records label.