jobeterob
11-03-2010, 12:10 AM
November 2nd, 2010
10:42 PM ET
Share this on:Mixx Twitter Digg Facebook del.icio.us reddit StumbleUpon MySpace

COMMENT [[94 comments)
No African-Americans in next U.S. Senate
By: CNN Special Correspondent Soledad O'Brien

New York [[CNN) – Despite record election achievements by African-Americans in the House, the United States Senate will not have an African-American in its ranks.

All three black Senate candidates, Kendrick Meek [[D-FL), Alvin Greene [[D-SC) and Mike Thurmond [[D-GA) are projected to lose tonight. The only incumbent black senator, Roland Burris [[D-IL), is retiring.

Only six black senators have served: three Republicans and three Democrats, including the future President Barack Obama [[D-IL).

There have been 118 voting members of Congress who are African-American. This year the GOP has 14 African-Americans on the ballot, any one of which could become the first black Republican in the house since 2003.

There are 41 African-American Democrats in Congress of which most are running in majority black districts. CNN projects Alabama sent its first African-American woman to Congress tonight with the election of Terri Sewell in the state's 7th district. She is a Democrat.

nomis
11-03-2010, 12:32 AM
...thats cos they only give African Americans keys to the castle..one at a time....

soulster
11-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Can't wait to see the stats on who voted and for what.

ms_m
11-03-2010, 10:12 AM
This article is totally useless. I should be surprised someone as intelligent as Soledad O'Brien penned it but since she's a member of MSM who's goal is to elicit negative emotions that more often than not spawns divisiveness and [[and get's ratings and hits in order to please the network advertisers [[read corporate masters) I'm not surprised.

There have only been six, [[6) African American senators and two of those served during reconstruction. Why would any intelligent thinking person think and or imply that electing an African American president would suddenly break new ground?

Yet, on the flip side of the coin, for the first time in history two Blacks from the deep south have won Republican congressional seats, Latino Americans also captured record breaking gains in the Republican party as well as a Native American. Since things are "so bad" for AA and minorities, why are they making relatively significant gains in the Republican party?

paladin
11-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Interesting question M,................

soulster
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
You know, as long as congress does the right thing for ALL the people, it doesn't matter what color they are.

stephanie
11-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Soulster I agree about the color thing but perception is everything. We do need more african americans so those in our race feel good about themselves and feel as if they are making a difference.

soulster
11-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Soulster I agree about the color thing but perception is everything. We do need more african americans so those in our race feel good about themselves and feel as if they are making a difference.

Congress does need to represent everyone. But, like I said, IMO, as long as everyone has their best interests represented, i'm good with it no matter what color they are.

soulster
11-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Not only will there be no Blacks, but there will be fewer women:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/10/congress.women/index.html?hpt=C1