PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue May13, 9P-12M ET:"Funny Girl", Andy, George & Kevin Replay!

test

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Howdy, "Nightflight" Listeners! Normally, I don't do replays of shows soon after the original show has been aired. But tonight's show is a replay of the show that aired first 2 weeks ago. It's such a special show, and a number of folks didn't get a chance to hear the show in it's entirety due to connectivity issues. Our friend in Motown, Andy Skurow created, sublimely edited and participated a "round table" discussion with George Soloman and Kevin Reeves about the production of the "Diana Ross And The Supremes Sing And Perform 'Funny Girl'". Moreover...they presented a magnificent tribute to Gil Askey...all of which you'll hear tonight. You'll also hear my post "round table" chat with Andy...unless he calls in and is actually LIVE with me tonight! Join me for all this and more tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans...and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks! John PS: If you have a problem connecting tonight....another option to use is http://tun.in/seoKS Thanks to radionixon for the shortcut the station's live webcast!

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 06:58 PM
FYI....well....Andy WILL be on the show LIVE tonight AND I have another big surprise!!!! See ya later!

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 08:18 PM
This unique interview is definitely worth repeating! And Andy and another big surprise? Can't await! See you and the gang on the Radiola.:cool:

Glenpwood
05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Some people claim its never as good as the first time but I know you and Andy will prove that notion wrong John!

see you at nine!

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 08:46 PM
This unique interview is definitely worth repeating! And Andy and another big surprise? Can't await! See you and the gang on the Radiola.:cool:

Ahhhhhhh...the Radiola-la-la-la-la! See you in a bit!

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Some people claim its never as good as the first time but I know you and Andy will prove that notion wrong John!

see you at nine!

You are too kind, Glen!! Thank you and see you soon!

....ohhhhh....in the studio....Howdyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 08:51 PM
In the audience!:cool:

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 08:56 PM
In the audience!:cool:

...in the expensive seats!!!

MotownLover
05-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Here! Here!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

Sacramento John
05-13-2014, 09:04 PM
John,

Thanks for the "Tun-in" link. Working great. So glad to hear this broadcast!!!!!!

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Here! Here!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

Howdy, Howard!!!!!

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 09:06 PM
John,

Thanks for the "Tun-in" link. Working great. So glad to hear this broadcast!!!!!!

So glad it's working for you, John!!!!!! Glad you're with us!

Glenpwood
05-13-2014, 09:08 PM
One of Diana's greatest gifts is being able to take a melodramatic dialogue like this one in People and render it so heartfelt and sincere.....

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 09:10 PM
...in the expensive seats!!!

Howdy Johnny & Gang!

I'm in peanut heaven. [[And I'd stay up here until Harry, Andy, George, Kevin & 'the suits' give us the full version of "Up The Ladder To The Roof- but life must goes on....and one can dream, can't one?)-

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 09:14 PM
I am loving the 2014 remixes of "Funny Girl"! It really is a whole different album to me.:cool:

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Howdy Johnny & Gang!

I'm in peanut heaven. [[And I'd stay up here until Harry, Andy, George, Kevin & 'the suits' give us the full version of "Up The Ladder To The Roof- but life must goes on....and one can dream, can't one?)-

Howdy there Carole! Welcome! Yes....it would be wonderful...........

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Johnny,As I couldn't connect 2 weeks ago, are you including the part where Justine, Rich Rubino & you joined Andy, George & Kevin in performing the "I'm The Greatest Star" medley from Sullivan followed by the Andrews Sisters vs. the Supremes medley ? It was all over the internet, that although it wasn't the highlight of the show, it provoked a lot of buzz.....

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Johnny,As I couldn't connect 2 weeks ago, are you including the part where Justine, Rich Rubino & you joined Andy, George & Kevin in performing the "I'm The Greatest Star" medley from Sullivan followed by the Andrews Sisters vs. the Supremes medley ? It was all over the internet, that although it wasn't the highlight of the show, it provoked a lot of buzz.....

Thanks, Carole....my head just EXPLODED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kenneth
05-13-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm listening again, too. And I am thoroughly enjoying the download of the album.

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm listening again, too. And I am thoroughly enjoying the download of the album.

Glad to see you joined us tonight, Kenneth!!

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Although I absolutely love the 2014 remix of "Funny Girl", I think Mr. Gordy made the right call in 1968. The stripped down version would have sounded even thinner on vinyl than the released version which was too thin sounding to begin with. Likely the album would have done even worse. Today, and with today's technology, the stripped down version works perfectly. I love it!:)

supremester
05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
love this show! Thank you to Andy, George & John we love the album!

Gregg Michael Geoff

XOXOXO

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 10:06 PM
love this show! Thank you to Andy, George & John we love the album!

Gregg Michael Geoff

XOXOXO

Thanks, Gregg Micheal Geoff [[*grin)....great to see you....ALL!!

kenneth
05-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Love that arrangement of "Fine and Mellow." Wow, Askey really was a great arranger.

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 10:30 PM
...an amazing man...such an important part of Motown....

Glenpwood
05-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I hadn't played Stolen Moments since it was first released until this shows first airing thanks to the great live version of ANBIID so I pulled out my vinyl copy and it really is a great show. It didn't move me as a teen but I must have aged into it well.....

Sacramento John
05-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Love love love that version of "Lover!!!!" Where did that alternate take of "Lover" come from????? There are MORE Rogers & Hart alternate takes???? Is there a possibility of a revised "RRH Complete Recordings?"

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Love love love that version of "Lover!!!!" Where did that alternate take of "Lover" come from????? There are MORE Rogers & Hart alternate takes???? Is there a possibility of a revised "RRH Complete Recordings?"

Good question, John...I'll ask!

supremester
05-13-2014, 10:55 PM
One thing about Gil: he LOVED Diana Ross. LOVED her. He cared about her. We talked in depth about their relationship. She was his muse, he loved her as a person, but also respected her ability as a vocalist. She inspired him to do Rogers & Hart, Lady, I Loves Ya Porgy and she brought his dreams to life..........he glowed speaking of her. It was a highlight of my life talking to him for those few hours.

midnight johnny
05-13-2014, 11:00 PM
One thing about Gil: he LOVED Diana Ross. LOVED her. He cared about her. We talked in depth about their relationship. She was his muse, he loved her as a person, but also respected her ability as a vocalist. She inspired him to do Rogers & Hart, Lady, I Loves Ya Porgy and she brought his dreams to life..........he glowed speaking of her. It was a highlight of my life talking to him for those few hours.

Gregg...thank you for sharing that.....

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Radio Shack! I love it! LOL!!!;)

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Radio Shack! I love it! LOL!!!;)

And then he went to the Love Shack & met Al, the love of his life!

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 11:30 PM
And then he went to the Love Shack & met Al, the love of his life!

And then they went to the Chicken Shack for dinner?;)

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 11:32 PM
I love quick wit!;)

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 11:35 PM
And then they became big fans of the Klezmer Shack and their tribute album The Klezmer Shack Sing and Perform Funny Girl Without Diana, Mary, Cindy or The Andantes But With The Mystery Female Background Vocalists.

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 11:40 PM
it's 1986.

sophisticated_soul
05-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Let's not forget the Sugar Shack!:rolleyes:

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Correction : It's 1986 & 1987 [[The songs included first on the Supremes 25th Anniversary lp/cd are copyrighted 1986; the other additional songs not on the original lp are copyrighted 1987)

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 11:49 PM
After they were all sugared up, did they chicken out or did they shack up???

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Or did they just listen to their Supremes' collection on the latest Radio Shack equipment, purchased by Andy at the beginning of his illustrious career?

Sacramento John
05-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Thank you Andy for the information about "Lover." I had set my 1986 R & H CD aside when the 2001 came out. I have to give it a listen. R & H Box set, please, please, please!
George, thank you so very much for all the work you did in the 1980's-90's R&H. Never Before Released Masters, GH & Rare Classics

carole cucumber
05-13-2014, 11:55 PM
johnny,
The releases you are talking about are reissues and even re-reissues from Japan. They are not on the dusty Groove label.

sophisticated_soul
05-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Thank you George! Thank you Andy!
Thank you John and gang, another wonderful show. See y'all next time.:cool:

midnight johnny
05-14-2014, 12:04 AM
johnny,
The releases you are talking about are reissues and even re-reissues from Japan. They are not on the dusty Groove label.

I know that Carole. And I iterated that.....

midnight johnny
05-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Thank you George! Thank you Andy!
Thank you John and gang, another wonderful show. See y'all next time.:cool:

THank you....Josephhhh!!!

supremester
05-14-2014, 12:20 AM
What a wonderful show - thank you all. John, so often you speak what's in my heart. I'm 900 years old and bought Funny Girl new, and, as much as I wanted to love it, I just couldn't. Now, thanks to Andy, George & Kevin, I do! Whatever they did, it's like getting a new Ross album for me. Great show!

Supremes A' Go Go Supremes A' Go Go
Supremes A' Go GoSupremes A' Go Go Supremes A' Go Go
Supremes A' Go Go

midnight johnny
05-14-2014, 12:55 AM
What a wonderful show - thank you all. John, so often you speak what's in my heart. I'm 900 years old and bought Funny Girl new, and, as much as I wanted to love it, I just couldn't. Now, thanks to Andy, George & Kevin, I do! Whatever they did, it's like getting a new Ross album for me. Great show!

Supremes A' Go Go Supremes A' Go Go
Supremes A' Go GoSupremes A' Go Go Supremes A' Go Go
Supremes A' Go Go Gregg....thanks. I know what you mean. As much as I hated the album, I felt badly about it. Those 3 guys straightened that out...so beautifully, too!

dba
05-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Okay. Didn't get a chance to listen to the rebroadcast but had clearly heard the original. Was there any "news" during the last hour? I'm afraid I was asleep. Cheers and thanks. I am stilll loving the 2014 mixes.

thanxal
05-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Odd. WOMR comes through on my iPhone using the TuneIn app but not through tunein.com on my iMac using Safari or Chrome.