PDA

View Full Version : Too Good To Get Away: The Velvelettes/YOU CAN'T GET AWAY

test

Methuselah2
05-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Written by Wm. 'Mickey' Stevenson & Wm. Henry Weatherspoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPArYINLYiY

Many thanks to GurlGroops for this YouTube posting.

theboyfromxtown
05-10-2014, 05:43 PM
It was too much like a Martha song....the ladies knew it wouldn't be released as a 45 because of that.

westgrandboulevard
05-10-2014, 05:45 PM
OH! So THAT'S why they sang "Nowhere to Run" during their UK show, is it..?"!! ..LOLOL

supremester
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Wow - Quicksand anyone? It's a good enough record but not exactly original

Methuselah2
05-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Supremester - I think you're right!--some QUICKSAND does seem to be grabbing hold. But I think CAN'T is still awfully good on its own. Hadn't heard it before and it completely surprised me. But as Tbfxt also mentioned, it does sound more like a M&TV tune than The Velvelettes. Wonder if M&TV ever recorded it.

P.S. Also thought it sounded a bit like The Butlers' SHE TRIED TO KISS ME [[ALL I COULD DO WAS RUN):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgEp8ukEPOE

theboyfromxtown
05-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Butlers was a new one on me. It is similar. Good oen Methuselah2...you're teaching an old dog new tricks here!

Methuselah2
05-10-2014, 08:34 PM
As I always say, too: "Arf! Arf!"

bradsupremes
05-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Are all Velvelettes tracks out of the vaults? I know there's an unreleased Roostertail show, but wasn't sure if there were anymore. I thought heard they recorded "That's The Night The Love Died." HDH cut "When The Lovelight Starts Shining In His Eyes" on them in 1965 or 1966, but I don't know if vocals were recorded.

theboyfromxtown
05-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Yes and no

Yes the songs are out there which were found

No as there are still some alternate versions of songs now issued.

The 2 tracks you mention were allocated to the Velvelettes but vocals were not found. Cal also recalls other possible tracks but they weren't found either. The Vandellas He Doesn't Love Her Anymore is a song Cal sung at a dinner table in Cleethorpes - I was gobsmacked that she could recall the lyrics so well.

The second CD would not have been half empty had it not been for the inclusion of a live show and I chose the Battle concert as it was a turning point for them at Motown. That friendly Battle with the Supremes where the auience favoured the Velvelettes in front of Mr Gordy and Smokey Robinson elevated their status among the girl groups. Sadly, it was short lived because one track that they rejected [[as did the Marveletttes) turned out to be a major hit for the Supremes. Where Did Our Love Go took the Supremes to the top in all respects.

no_place_like_motown
05-11-2014, 06:56 AM
It was too much like a Martha song....the ladies knew it wouldn't be released as a 45 because of that.

It's a great song nonetheless and one of my favs from the Velvelettes. I can listen to that song forever and a day!

no_place_like_motown
05-11-2014, 07:02 AM
P.S. Also thought it sounded a bit like The Butlers' SHE TRIED TO KISS ME [[ALL I COULD DO WAS RUN):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgEp8ukEPOE[/QUOTE]

Great find, Meth! :o Never heard that song before. Hmmm...Philly loved Martha & The Vandellas - here's "The 81" by Candy & The Kisses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vie8XxjpmMU

splanky
05-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I love The Velvelettes as much as anyone else but I glad that song was not released as a
single considering the backlash some Martha Reeves fan[[atic)s would have unleashed on
dear Cal and the girls. That has to be one of the most recycled beats and chord voicings in
70's popular music. As far as Martha's group is concerned, more than a few girl and
predominately girl groups fell under the spell of their sound. Even the Orlons at one point.
Berry Gordy was vey lucky to be able to amass the talent his company did, even if he didn't
fully appreciate them or respect them....

Methuselah2
05-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Nplm - Love THE 81. But I've always wondered how HDH feel about it--i.e., IN MY LONELY ROOM.

Methuselah2
05-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Splanky - You make several really insightful points. Everyone was incorporating sounds from each other and other companies. Even HDH early on used Spector's Wall of Sound in WHEN THE LOVELIGHT, HEATWAVE, QUICKSAND, TOO HURT TO CRY, and so forth. Seems like whatever was working was fair game to jump on and use. Up to a point.