PDA

View Full Version : Motown exhibit at Harlem's Schomburg Center for Research

test

smark21
05-10-2014, 01:49 PM
This morning I visited the Motown exhibit at NYC's Schomburg Center for Research. It's running until July 26. IT's aimed at a more general audience, but still well worth attending, especially to see some of the old album covers on display, particularly the ones issued by Black Forum; Diana Ross' gown from the Supremes' Hollywood Palace Reflections performance; and other artifacts such as live arrangement charts and the first Motortown Revue tour schedule. While I was there a field trip group of high school students came in and pored over the exhibit. Motown music was playing on the soundsystem and old Ed Sullivan show clips were playing. The kids were enjoying the music and learning something new [[to them). There's also a wall devoted to Motown the Musical which must be backing the exhibit.

It's well worth visiting if you live or plan to visit NYC before July 26. IT's located at 135th St. and Lenox/Malcolm X Blvd. Take the 2 or 3 train to 135th.

http://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions/motown-truth-hit

marv2
05-10-2014, 03:11 PM
That sounds wonderful! There was a very nice exhibit a little while back at the Muhammad Ali museum in Louisville. I am hoping that a great, large exhibit can be developed for a Detroit location.........now that would be exciting.

Motown4Ever518
05-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Smark21 thank you for the heads up. Will definitely attend when in NYC. Young folks know what good music is. The problem is that the young people are only exposed to a limited range of music and anything outside of that range is not cool.

pbenjamson@aol.com
05-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Smark21 thank you for the heads up. Will definitely attend when in NYC. Young folks know what good music is. The problem is that the young people are only exposed to a limited range of music and anything outside of that range is not cool.

The exhibit is definitely worth attending, not only for the reason you cited, but because Motown seems to have overcome its desire to get back at Mary Wells for leaving the company in 1964. Rather than shut Mary out of the exhibit entirely, Motown displays at the exhibit a photo of Dick Clark interviewing Mary, plus an album cover of hers, plus, amazingly, a 45 recorded by Mary's first husband, Herman Griffin. All are worth a visit to the exhibit.

marv2
05-13-2014, 06:38 AM
The exhibit is definitely worth attending, not only for the reason you cited, but because Motown seems to have overcome its desire to get back at Mary Wells for leaving the company in 1964. Rather than shut Mary out of the exhibit entirely, Motown displays at the exhibit a photo of Dick Clark interviewing Mary, plus an album cover of hers, plus, amazingly, a 45 recorded by Mary's first husband, Herman Griffin. All are worth a visit to the exhibit.

So you feel that Motown held a grudge towards Mary Wells that long for leaving the company? It is ironic in light of the fact that the company could drop artists at will.

theboyfromxtown
05-13-2014, 07:28 AM
http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/37481390-classic-motown-the-invasion-begins-at-proud-camden

By co-incidence - the preview f this exhibition in London is tonight. Mary Wells will be heavily featured I am sure. Interestingly, I expect the pictures to be from the period after she left Motown.

Martha will be there.