PDA

View Full Version : Billboard's Box Score: Diana's Chicago Shows Hit The Top 20!

test

Lulu
05-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice!!!

http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscore

Jimi LaLumia
05-08-2014, 08:09 PM
am I surprised?...NO!

Lulu
05-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Here's where I'll get blamed for hacking Billboard's website or using "payola" like that horrible man who founded Motown Records to get them to print that! LOL :rolleyes:

smark21
05-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Didn't most of the attendees pay in monopoly money and then flee the show before the encore? I thought everyone hated Miss Ross? You mean that may not be true and people pay good money and enjoy her show? Baffling!

Lulu
05-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Didn't most of the attendees pay in monopoly money and then flee the show before the encore? I thought everyone hated Miss Ross? You mean that may not be true and people pay good money and enjoy her show? Baffling!

Well, I learned today that everyone hated her in 1969/1970 too!

vgalindo
05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes I thought her career was over and she has a miserable life. LOL.

vgalindo
05-08-2014, 09:46 PM
It's truly amazing that Diana Ross at 70 years of age is still selling out most venues for top dollars. People that say she slept her way to the top really make me laugh. Who is she sleeping with now that's making people buy her tickets?

Roberta75
05-08-2014, 09:48 PM
I guess the 1.2 million followers she have on facebook hate Diane as well. Po Diane.

jobeterob
05-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Berry still have Marv giving out whole $20 bills in front of the theatre to get people to go see Diana. This is how the trouble started for Marv.

Lulu
05-08-2014, 10:45 PM
I liked the headline but the cartoon also made me LOL!

captainjames
05-08-2014, 10:47 PM
No Ross is still a hot draw.

marv2
05-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Oh puleeeeasssseeee.......! You are grasping now LOL! Look at the list of acts ahead of her. The only ones I've EVER heard of are Red Hot Chili Peppers [[Although I can't name one of their songs...) and Neil Young? LOL!!!!! Her totals are for 2 nights and drew 5,900 people in a metro area of 9.5 million people? LOL!!!! I mean that's not horrible,but she is suppose to be the most famous act on that list, right?

jobeterob
05-08-2014, 11:34 PM
But Mary has never even made this list ever!

marv2
05-08-2014, 11:36 PM

Where did Mary come from in this discussion? LOL!!!!

marv2
05-09-2014, 12:42 AM
It's truly amazing that Diana Ross at 70 years of age is still selling out most venues for top dollars. People that say she slept her way to the top really make me laugh. Who is she sleeping with now that's making people buy her tickets?

"Who is she sleeping with now" Is that a trick question? LOL!!!

honest man
05-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Poor Mary she never gets the time,she's sooooooooooooo busy attending all the Letter opening ceromonies,God Bless Her.Love you Mare.NOW GET BACK TO YOUR MICROPHONE HeHe...................................

David J
05-09-2014, 05:32 AM
You go Miss Ross, show them how it's done;) it always amazes me how Diana always gets such great reviews for her concerts, as Jobeterob mentioned, the reviews has varied from good to excellent, very rarely does she get a bad review.
Now if only she will come to the UK soon.

smark21
05-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Poor Mary she never gets the time,she's sooooooooooooo busy attending all the Letter opening ceromonies,God Bless Her.Love you Mare.NOW GET BACK TO YOUR MICROPHONE HeHe...................................

Did you enjoy the Al Jolson blackface minstrel show number I posted for you a couple of weeks ago honestman? I know how much you love blackface and minstrel shows. And do you still think the lyrics of The Happening tell a happy story?

jobeterob
05-09-2014, 12:30 PM
This is really just another late life happy moment for Diana Ross & Motown; as she once said, when you honor her, you honor every Motown artist, especially the Supremes.

kenneth
05-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Oh puleeeeasssseeee.......! You are grasping now LOL! Look at the list of acts ahead of her. The only ones I've EVER heard of are Red Hot Chili Peppers [[Although I can't name one of their songs...) and Neil Young? LOL!!!!! Her totals are for 2 nights and drew 5,900 people in a metro area of 9.5 million people? LOL!!!! I mean that's not horrible,but she is suppose to be the most famous act on that list, right?

Actually a lot of the acts in the top 20 are very well known. The Chilis as you point out. A lot of young people are only just discovering them. Neil Young still has a big following and just released a huge box set of 20 or so CDs. Lady Antebellum and Keith Urban are quite famous. Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire are up and coming independent bands; they're very well known at least in Southern California.

I think Diane places well and is drawing crowds commiserate with many current acts. For that, I think she deserves a lot of credit.

jobeterob
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Actually a lot of the acts in the top 20 are very well known. The Chilis as you point out. A lot of young people are only just discovering them. Neil Young still has a big following and just released a huge box set of 20 or so CDs. Lady Antebellum and Keith Urban are quite famous. Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire are up and coming independent bands; they're very well known at least in Southern California.

I think Diane places well and is drawing crowds commiserate with many current acts. For that, I think she deserves a lot of credit.

I agree with you.

I would have thought Stevie Wonder would stay at least as or more current than Diana but I'm not sure he has; he isn't very active any more although I thought he was performing a little bit more recently.

Lionel Richie is reasonably active and is in the running with current acts, but he wasn't really one of the artists from Motown's classic era.

And it is hard to equate today's Temptations and Tops with the classic line ups.

marv2
05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
I agree with you.

I would have thought Stevie Wonder would stay at least as or more current than Diana but I'm not sure he has; he isn't very active any more although I thought he was performing a little bit more recently.

Lionel Richie is reasonably active and is in the running with current acts, but he wasn't really one of the artists from Motown's classic era.

And it is hard to equate today's Temptations and Tops with the classic line ups.

Diana Ross current? LOL! She and her shows are about as current as Ronald Reagan!

milven
05-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Diana Ross current? LOL! She and her shows are about as current as Ronald Reagan!

Perhaps Rob meant to say that Diana is more active in her career than Stevie. As far as the songs that Diana sings in her concerts, I've seen Mary singing the same songs. Why don't you dis' her too for not being current? I think its commendable that both ladies are still out there doing their thing.

kenneth
05-09-2014, 03:19 PM
I agree with you.

Even in his heyday, wasn't Stevie notoriously slow at getting his albums out? He did have a prolific period where he came out with Fullfillingness, Key of Life, Secret Life of Plants, etc., but I think he was more known for taking a very long time for his albums to come out. I wonder why he's been so slow at releasing albums; there must be more in him but maybe he just lacks that creative spark to complete them. Even the gospel album he was going to release in honor of his mother has just been talked about for years, hasn't it?

supremester
05-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Who, Mary? Anyone with enough scratch for a bottle of Dom LOL!!!

hehehehehehehehehe

"Who is she sleeping with now" Is that a trick question? LOL!!!

jobeterob
05-09-2014, 05:25 PM
I meant that Diana competes with the current crop of artists in terms of bookings and popularity on tour.

And she is more so than any other Motown artist. I would have thought Stevie would be amongst them but he just isn't active on the tour circuit ~ and why should he be.

And no Marv - Mary is not one of the Motown artists that can compete with current artists.

She is a worker and survivor but she was never amongst the most popular artists ever. Enough. End of it. Don't even start. Isn't that how you put it? Or would you say "that is such a stupid statement that I won't even begin to discuss it." And then you would go on to discuss it with a heheheeh and an LOL.

supremester
05-09-2014, 06:27 PM
I don't care who is on the list or where. The shows were killer. I love that he hasn't heard of the others on the list - is that something to brag about? 20 other acts have gigs grossing more that half a mil and he's dismissing them because he's never heard of them? I propose giving Marv's ego it's own zip code! LOLOLOL!!! Obviously SOMEONE has heard of them unless the hundreds of thousands fell out of the sky.

Marvipoo would be bragging if his gal even sold one ticket to a concert - probably the one he'll but for Bergenpac, which I would try to see but I hate NYC in the winter and won't schedule meetings around it. I'll be seeing La Mare soon anyway as she got added to Dennis & the Tops in Seattle.

smark21
05-09-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't care who is on the list or where. The shows were killer. I love that he hasn't heard of the others on the list - is that something to brag about? 20 other acts have gigs grossing more that half a mil and he's dismissing them because he's never heard of them? I propose giving Marv's ego it's own zip code! LOLOLOL!!! Obviously SOMEONE has heard of them unless the hundreds of thousands fell out of the sky.

Marvipoo would be bragging if his gal even sold one ticket to a concert - probably the one he'll but for Bergenpac, which I would try to see but I hate NYC in the winter and won't schedule meetings around it. I'll be seeing La Mare soon anyway as she got added to Dennis & the Tops in Seattle.

Not hearing of any of the other acts on that chart other than Diana Ross and Red Hot Chilli Peppers is indicative of a limited pop culture/music palette/knowledge.

milven
05-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Diana sings her hits and the songs that she sang as a Supreme. Mary sings the same Supremes songs. Does that make Mary as current as Lyndon Johnson?

smark21
05-09-2014, 10:21 PM
I believe Diana and Mary each only perform [[and then only on occasion)one song from the 21st century as part of their acts: What About Love [[from the musical Color Purple) for Ross; Don't Know Why [[Norah Jones) for Wilson.

midnightman
05-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Diana is more relevant on the touring circuit than Stevie is because Stevie has basically semi-retired like Smokey has. Diana is one of the only ones of her generation to draw big crowds to her shows because she stays on tour. When Stevie did return to the tour circuit around 2008, he had a huge response but has since slowed down once again. So to see her on a list of top concert tours this year doesn't surprise me. She was always a crowd pleaser, something she perfected over 50 years ago. :)

midnightman
05-16-2014, 03:37 AM
Even in his heyday, wasn't Stevie notoriously slow at getting his albums out? He did have a prolific period where he came out with Fullfillingness, Key of Life, Secret Life of Plants, etc., but I think he was more known for taking a very long time for his albums to come out. I wonder why he's been so slow at releasing albums; there must be more in him but maybe he just lacks that creative spark to complete them. Even the gospel album he was going to release in honor of his mother has just been talked about for years, hasn't it?

Success slowed Stevie's hunger. And he also may not be confident in his own work plus he has a radio station he owns. And he's also getting up there in age [[he just turned 64 so he's one year closer to getting his social security benefit checks). The more he languishes, the less it seems like he'll release work. And we may not even hear it. I read he had someone write in his will that if he was to die to burn every leftover track from his archives and that could include the "new material". Guess he doesn't wanna go out like Michael and 2Pac did in the fact that when they died, producers turned their material into pap. He don't want his legacy dismantled like MJ's has.