PDA

View Full Version : Astaire & Rogers/LET'S FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE From "FOLLOW THE FLEET" [[1936)

test

Methuselah2
05-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Song written by Irving Berlin

[[8 mins.)

Watch for a very blonde Lucille Ball in the early portion of the clip.

http://youtu.be/dMuKRbJa3O8

Many thanks to iumuggle for this YouTube posting.

westgrandboulevard
05-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Nearly 80 years on, I still wonder if style and grace like this will ever return.....

Methuselah2
05-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I know exactly what you mean, WGB. It certainly seems doubtful.

westgrandboulevard
05-08-2014, 11:45 AM
The very small subtle moves they make, in perfect synchronisation ,and some almost imperceptible, are just as important to the routine as the more expansive ones. That's what made them excel above other dancers.

With the sound off, it's like observing the mating courtship ritual of two beautiful birds.

Methuselah2
05-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Beautifully observed and written, WGB. Fred & Ginger in this remarkable number are like delicate Art Deco porcelain figurines come to life.

smark21
05-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Let's not forget the acting that is on display in the dance, especially from Rogers. I think this is one of their most emotionally moving numbers.

Methuselah2
05-09-2014, 03:10 AM
Excellent point, Smark. Ginger was incredibly gifted and those gifts truly shine all together in this number. How she and Fred could produce such perfection--along with Hermes Pan, the choreographer here--seems virtually impossible. And, yet, here it is. Ask 10 people what's the best Astaire/Rogers dance performance and you could very well hear 10 different answers. Ask me, and I'd have no hesitation in choosing this one. The sheer beauty of the final portion of the routine is overwhelming, and that final pose and lunge at the very last moment leaves me gasping with shock, surprise, and disbelief. It simply makes me weak.

Methuselah2
05-09-2014, 03:28 AM
Watch Lucille Ball do a little spin-around of her own in the brief clip with the sailor from the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yb0ReWm5-Q

Thanks to Gregory May for this YouTube posting.