PDA

View Full Version : Back In My Arms Again debuts #66 May 8 1965: A Supremes Masterpiece.

test

franjoy56
05-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Around this time in 1965, we were all holding our breath hoping that the Supremes would hit the top of the charts once again for the fifth time and on June 12th the record did just that it hit number one. On May 11, 1965 the girls turned in a smooth and flawless performance on the Hullaboloo tv program. "Back in My Arms Again" was another one of those records that was pop friendly as well as a favorite r&b. It was the only record that i know where the lead singer mentions the group members names in this case Mary and Flo in the recording.. I loved that record and it is my favorite Supremes single of all. Diana on lead vocals and Mary and Florence Ballard on backing vocals could do no worng, they come in loud and clear and it still holds up today. From the spring of 1965 through December of 1965 was the most productive time of the Supremes career releasing 6 singles and no less than 5 albums: Back in my arms again kept the momentum going with its heavy empahsis on the the motown base beat..

marv2
05-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Fran, you're not going to believe it, but just an hour ago I watched a DVD of Mary's Seaside Park Concert in Brooklyn from July 2003 and you were in it! Remember when she had you all come up onto the stage? As you were leaving she thanked you by name and mention the fan club over there? That was a great concert and great evening.

franjoy56
05-07-2014, 01:46 AM
Fran, you're not going to believe it, but just an hour ago I watched a DVD of Mary's Seaside Park Concert in Brooklyn from July 2003 and you were in it! Remember when she had you all come up onto the stage? As you were leaving she thanked you by name and mention the fan club over there? That was a great concert and great evening. I remember that concert 11 yrs ago, I dont beleive I had nerve to get up on that stage thanks for mentioning is that clip utube.

longtimefan
05-07-2014, 02:02 AM
A terrific record in many, many ways not the least of which was the fantastic instrumental opening! It was classy, rhythmic, and very catchy.

supremester
05-07-2014, 03:19 AM
I thought I died and went to heaven when this came out. Stop! had been my least favorite of the 4 hits and this was such a winner as was the B-side Whisper You Love Me Boy. This was, by far, the least successful of the 5, but remains the one I still play the most.

florence
05-07-2014, 03:37 AM
Loved the pounding rhythm of Back although it wouldn't be at the very top of my Supremes' favourites list.

After Stop! In The Name Of Love had gone top 10 in the UK this one barely scratched the top 40 here managing just #40.

Interestingly this did not reach #1 in Record World.

Also famously some major glitch happened at Cashbox and this was [[and remains) their #1 pop single of the year on their top 100 of 1965 - impossible on either sales or a points system.

BigAl
05-07-2014, 07:57 AM
This was the single that truly cinched it for me with The Supremes. I was fond of them, certainly, before, but the first time I heard this on the radio, the sheer force of it hit me like a ton of bricks. Right away I ran out to get it and found that picture sleeve which later became the cover of "More Hits" and there, too, I was bowled over. Couldn't stop looking at it. Those individual casual portraits with signatures were perfect. Then, shortly thereafter, that phenomenal appearance on Hullaballoo pushed me right over the edge and I was goner for the next couple of years until Flo's ouster. The sound was just so big; prime Hitsville. HDH cranked out "I Can't Help Myself" for the Tops at almost the same time and those two songs pretty much ran my spring and summer that year, and I can still listen to them non-stop 49 years later.

marv2
05-07-2014, 08:05 AM
I remember that concert 11 yrs ago, I dont beleive I had nerve to get up on that stage thanks for mentioning is that clip utube.

Yeah it is hard to believe it's been 11 years already. I had a lot of fun at that show. No, it is on a disc a friend from Deer Park sent me.

motony
05-07-2014, 08:11 AM
one of the Supremes best and the performance on Hullabaloo was cool.H-D-H was a on a roll like no other writer/producers in history.

Motown Queen
05-07-2014, 08:20 AM
It's funny, but out of all their number one hits, this is probably my least favorite one by them. The only thing I like about this track is the gospel inspired whoos and the Mary and Flo name call.

BigAl
05-07-2014, 09:09 AM
one of the Supremes best and the performance on Hullabaloo was cool.H-D-H was a on a roll like no other writer/producers in history.

That Hullaballoo engagement not only gave us a great live performance of "Back in My Arms Again" [[with a pre-recorded instrumental track, but still...), but it was also the first time other than their Shindig performance of "Eight Days a Week" that I had seen the group perform anything but one of their hits [[and most of those earlier TV appearances were just lipsync deals). They launched into "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You," sashayed out onto a raised platform in the audience, did that little reprise of the final chorus and showed what they could do. The only thing missing was Flo's sassy comments during the intro, which she developed later. Otherwise I'd call this TV appearance just about their finest. It led me to hope the act would develop into something showcasing all three gals to best advantage but of course that never happened and more's the pity.

franjoy56
05-07-2014, 10:59 AM
That Hullaballoo engagement not only gave us a great live performance of "Back in My Arms Again" [[with a pre-recorded instrumental track, but still...), but it was also the first time other than their Shindig performance of "Eight Days a Week" that I had seen the group perform anything but one of their hits [[and most of those earlier TV appearances were just lipsync deals). They launched into "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You," sashayed out onto a raised platform in the audience, did that little reprise of the final chorus and showed what they could do. The only thing missing was Flo's sassy comments during the intro, which she developed later. Otherwise I'd call this TV appearance just about their finest. It led me to hope the act would develop into something showcasing all three gals to best advantage but of course that never happened and more's the pity. besides its uplifting message of having him back in her arms again the backing vocals orove why mary and flo knew whatvtheyveere doing in that role. But more importantly this is the first 45 I bought that had a picture sleeve which i proudly displayed in my room with I cant help myself which came out weeks later.

luke
05-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Id rank them in order of preference:
1)Where Did Our Love Go-still mesmerizing-Mary and Flo make it hypnotic
2)Stop in the Name of Love-the arm gesture is defining Supremes and still haunting
3)Come See About Me--soo sexy-Diana's personna emerging big time
4)Back In My Arms Again--pop pop pop and the Mary/Flo line nails it
5)Baby Love-hard to judge, so overplayed-too cute but great hook at the time

144man
05-07-2014, 04:59 PM
...It was the only record that i know where the lead singer mentions the group members names in this case Mary and Flo in the recording...

Take a listen to the Marvelettes' "Too Strong to Be Strong Along".

marv2
05-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Around this time in 1965, we were all holding our breath hoping that the Supremes would hit the top of the charts once again for the fifth time and on June 12th the record did just that it hit number one. On May 11, 1965 the girls turned in a smooth and flawless performance on the Hullaboloo tv program. "Back in My Arms Again" was another one of those records that was pop friendly as well as a favorite r&b. It was the only record that i know where the lead singer mentions the group members names in this case Mary and Flo in the recording.. I loved that record and it is my favorite Supremes single of all. Diana on lead vocals and Mary and Florence Ballard on backing vocals could do no worng, they come in loud and clear and it still holds up today. From the spring of 1965 through December of 1965 was the most productive time of the Supremes career releasing 6 singles and no less than 5 albums: Back in my arms again kept the momentum going with its heavy empahsis on the the motown base beat..

Fran, a bit of trivia for you. In Dion's song "The Wanderer" he sings:

"Oh, well, there's Flo on my left arm, and there's Mary on my right
And Janie is the girl, well, that I'll be with tonight"

I always found this humorous.......hehehehehe,

franjoy56
05-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Fran, a bit of trivia for you. In Dion's song "The Wanderer" he sings:

"Oh, well, there's Flo on my left arm, and there's Mary on my right
And Janie is the girl, well, that I'll be with tonight"

I always found this humorous.......hehehehehe,
That is really cute I have that song it came out in 61 . 144man gladys does mention one member juanita.

StuBass1
05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
I remember when my brother was in college he had a part time job at Motown writing lead sheets for the publishing prior to the record releases. I clearly recall he came home one day with a lead sheet he had written that day...Told me it was a song for The Supremes...Back In My Arms Again...

smark21
05-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Diana namechecks/calls out Mary and Flo on her adlibs at the end of Shake from the Sam Cooke album.

What are other songs in which name[[s) of a group member are part of the record?

antceleb12
05-07-2014, 08:49 PM
It took me a while to get into BIMAA. However, WDOLG and Baby Love were always, and still are, my least favorites. The greatest thing about BIMAA was the version with the extended ending on the "#1's" album. Mary's voice is prominent on this one, though I am more partial to Flo's.

franjoy56
05-08-2014, 10:54 PM
It took me a while to get into BIMAA. However, WDOLG and Baby Love were always, and still are, my least favorites. The greatest thing about BIMAA was the version with the extended ending on the "#1's" album. Mary's voice is prominent on this one, though I am more partial to Flo's.the sheer excitement of bimaa going to number one was enough for me to say a black female act broke through t glass ceiling on t pop charts for t 5th time no less.. That record incorporated all t other except come see about me lacked. It was sheer excitement and whatsmore andante free no pun intended.

marv2
05-08-2014, 11:20 PM
"Back In My Arms Again", the intro alone was worth the cost of the record! It was a very soulful sounding record. Once it started, it never let up. The Funk Brothers were smokin', Mary and Florence were on point in supporting Diane's lead and the whole record was just enjoyable.

antceleb12
05-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Eh, I just never got the magic spark from that record. I guess the way I feel about "You Can't Hurry Love" is like how you feel about "Back In My Arms Again." Of course, my picture-perfect image of YCHL was shattered when it was revealed that it is Marlene on the record and not Florence. But anyway, BIMAA did grow on me a lot. With the proper mix, those three girls on the chorus sound divine, and Mary and Flo's "ooh's" are simply delicious!!

marv2
05-08-2014, 11:40 PM
....and here they are........da girls here! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKlA1phM2s

marv2
05-08-2014, 11:42 PM
That clip is another good example of just how powerful Mary and Florence were in the background. They were some sanging sisters!

franjoy56
05-09-2014, 12:26 AM
And thenn came nothing but heartaches with great backing vocals without oooooohs except f diane, but mary and flo again rocked that bckground but t record was not as memorable as bimaa until I hear a symphony and then t backgound were mixed into t music or deemphasized.

marv2
05-09-2014, 12:39 AM
And thenn came nothing but heartaches with great backing vocals without oooooohs except f diane, but mary and flo again rocked that bckground but t record was not as memorable as bimaa until I hear a symphony and then t backgound were mixed into t music or deemphasized.

"Nothing But Heartaches" had that marching band feel to it, you know? Like it just kept marching forward and like BIMAA, once they started singing they and the Funk Bros. just never let up on the tempo etc,

Diane had a unique sound, but so did Mary and Florence. You knew when they were singing the harmonies. Their blend and their vocal power was unique.

tjl
05-09-2014, 03:49 AM
Funny how the radio rotations can still influence so much, even today:

To me, there are very few Motown records like "Back In My Arms Again"..."Heat Wave", "Quick Sand", "It's The Same Old Song", "Mickey's Monkey"- I think because they are so dance-able and so strong from their intros, and were played so much in the Jersey/Philly area in night clubs with jocks that also played records on the radio back in the day and today in the Jersey, Philly, NY markets.

But these days, at least on my radio gig.....the top Supremes requests [[in order, in New Jersey and on the web) are:

"Back In My Arms Again"
"Everything Is Good About You"
"Stop! In The Name Of Love" tied with "You Can't Hurry Love"
"I Hear A Symphony"
"Nothing But Heartaches"
"There's No Stopping Us Now'
"He's All I Got" tied with "Let Me Go The Right Way"
"Up The Ladder To The Roof"
"Nathan Jones"
and "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"
tied with "Someday, We'll Be Together"

I suppose for some of these Supremes songs, it's because I play them more often than the more common big hits - - so it creates a cyclical demand for these tunes that they otherwise might not get outside of the Jersey/Philly area specialty shows and great internet shows done by members here. These are the songs that have become big hits in my radio work since 2005 - - in a sense, bigger hits than the actual big hits. So, they get played much more often - - and so they are requested much more often.

Interestingly though - - for my listeners on radio, the later Supremes stuff has become very very popular for radio requests in the past several months, But on average [[though it's hard to write), I get very few calls these days for "Baby Love" and "Come See About Me" compared to the many many weekly calls I get for the songs listed above.

Then again our top TOPS request is "I'll Turn To Stone" followed by "I Believe In You And Me" - - and my most requested Miracles tune is "It's A Good Feeling" tied with "Going To A Go-Go". But still, for the Supremes' "Back in My Arms Again" has over-taken even "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Stop! In The Name Of Love" for radio requests on my Sunday night show and they are pretty major dance records in clubs and dance parties still in the area.

Changing demographics of radio listeners or just folks feeding back what you give out? I'm not sure - - but the 70s Supremes stuff is now just as "asked for" as the earlier 60s Supremes stuff in the present day....

different huh?

honest man
05-09-2014, 05:33 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;227683]That clip is another good example of just how powerful Mary and Florence were in the background. They were some sanging sisters![/QUOTEHooray you got it ,Mary was a brilliant BACKGROUND SINGER,Nothing more. Eureka.

franjoy56
05-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Hey tj so glad u joined in frances here aka franjoy I started this post and im glad u feel this way about bimaa I didnt know it was a heavily requested record on ur show. I want to callin this sunday and request Floy joy I love that little ditty see u on jersey radio 100.1.

antceleb12
05-09-2014, 02:05 PM

I always hated NBH. Still do. I think that's one of the only Supremes singles I don't know all the words to LOL.

BigAl
05-09-2014, 03:24 PM
I always hated NBH. Still do. I think that's one of the only Supremes singles I don't know all the words to LOL.

"Nothing But Heartaches" was too much a formulaic follow-up to "Back in My Arms Again." Even the picture sleeve was identical except for the addition of a blue background and the different song titles. One of the best things about HDH's hits for the group was the variety [[except for "Nothing But Heartaches"). Thank goodness they didn't try that again. I used to become so annoyed with the fact that other artists were so often made to basically record carbon-copies [[does that date me?) of their last hits and that didn't happen with The Supremes [[except with "Nothing But Heartaches").

marv2
05-09-2014, 04:21 PM
"Nothing But Heartaches" was too much a formulaic follow-up to "Back in My Arms Again." Even the picture sleeve was identical except for the addition of a blue background and the different song titles. One of the best things about HDH's hits for the group was the variety [[except for "Nothing But Heartaches"). Thank goodness they didn't try that again. I used to become so annoyed with the fact that other artists were so often made to basically record carbon-copies [[does that date me?) of their last hits and that didn't happen with The Supremes [[except with "Nothing But Heartaches").

But they did try it again! Every heard the story behind "It's the Same Old Song/I Can't Help Myself"? LOL!!!!

BigAl
05-09-2014, 08:28 PM
But they did try it again! Every heard the story behind "It's the Same Old Song/I Can't Help Myself"? LOL!!!!

Quite true. I was actually referring specifically to HDH and The Supremes. They were more repetitive with the Tops. "I Can't Help Myself," "It's the Same Old Song," and "Something About You" were all cut basically from the same cloth, just as "Reach Out, I'll Be There," "Standing in the Shadows of Love," "Bernadette," and "Seven Rooms of Gloom" shared definite similarities also.

marv2
05-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Quite true. I was actually referring specifically to HDH and The Supremes. They were more repetitive with the Tops. "I Can't Help Myself," "It's the Same Old Song," and "Something About You" were all cut basically from the same cloth, just as "Reach Out, I'll Be There," "Standing in the Shadows of Love," "Bernadette," and "Seven Rooms of Gloom" shared definite similarities also.

Ok I gotcha. Well they did use that four beats to the bar thing on the Supremes consistently for a while starting with "Where Did Our Love Go?"

smark21
05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
And they took a line from You Can't Hurry Love for the title of the next single, You Keep Me Hangin' On. And Love is Here builds and expands on the spoken word drama that Ross excels on in You Keep Me Hangin' On.

And there are some similarities between Love Child and I'm Livin' In Shame.