PDA

View Full Version : Rare pic Motown tour-Stevie huggin Flo, Diana doin the Freddie,up front of course!

test

luke
05-06-2014, 08:57 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/rare-photographs-show-stevie-wonder-marvin-gaye-and-the-supremes-first-uk-tour-9281814.html

Motown Queen
05-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Diana is so cute in this pic. lol at The supremes being in the front. And what's The Freddie? Thanks for sharing!

marv2
05-06-2014, 09:05 PM
I saw that a while back LOL! There were several variations of that picture at the Motown Historical Museum I saw in a large folder back in the 80's before it really opened up. If you look closely at the expressions on the faces, it is a very telling picture. LOL!!!

Methuselah2
05-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Diana is so cute in this pic. lol at The supremes being in the front. And what's The Freddie? Thanks for sharing!

MQ - It was a dance popularized by the British group Freddie & the Dreamers who performed it to theIr recording I'M TELLING YOU NOW: You extended your right arm sraight out to the side from the shoulder while lifting your right leg straight out to the side from the hip; then switching to the left arm and left leg.

"Are you ready? Do the Freddie."

luke
05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Yes I noticed the faces too. Just what exactly is Diana doing , if not the Freddie?[[lol of course shes not, didnt the Freddie come a year later?)

blackguy69
05-06-2014, 09:19 PM
its interesting that the Supremes got seats and everyone else had to stand.

Motown Queen
05-06-2014, 09:22 PM
MQ - It was a dance popularized by the British group Freddie & the Dreamers who performed it to theIr recording I'M TELLING YOU NOW: You extended your right arm sraight out to the side from the shoulder while lifting your right leg straight out to the side from the hip; then switching to the left arm and left leg.

"Are you ready? Do the Freddie."
Oh, ok. Thanks

Motown Queen
05-06-2014, 09:25 PM
its interesting that the Supremes got seats and everyone else had to stand.
lol I noticed that, but they were the queens of the label during that time.

marv2
05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Yes I noticed the faces too. Just what exactly is Diana doing , if not the Freddie?[[lol of course shes not, didnt the Freddie come a year later?)

It wasn't "The Freddie" 'cause in another circulated version of that photo, she is lying down on the floor in front of everybody. I won't even go there about what that was all about,,,,,hehehehehehehe......!

marv2
05-06-2014, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure about when exactly "the Freddie" became popular, but that pic is from early 1965.

jobeterob
05-06-2014, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS_FxB0Ksc

Even as early as this, they all knew what was happening.

marv2
05-06-2014, 11:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS_FxB0Ksc

Even as early as this, they all knew what was happening.

Yeah that Mr. Gordy was going to make his girlfriend a star or else!

marybrewster
05-07-2014, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8zCEkI7mdU

I'm Telling You Now - Freddie and the Dreamers

marybrewster
05-07-2014, 09:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE66VvER6rM

Here's "Do the Freddie". BUT!

What girl group walks onstage at 1:50? Is it Martha and the Vandellas?

marybrewster
05-07-2014, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JQ2Vzr0bQ

Could this be from the same show?

shoo-be-doo
05-07-2014, 09:35 AM
It certainly looks like Martha & the Vandellas to me.

carole cucumber
05-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah that Mr. Gordy was going to make his girlfriend a star or else!

I'm not sure what you envision 'or else' to mean? Throw a temper tantrum; imprison; take away jobs/home/family; pay off ; kill every human being who opposed his making his girlfriend a star. You've made some strange statements in the past Marv, but this one takes it to a new level of absurdity.
If his would-be-star were not star material, she [[and talented group members Mary, Flo & later, Cindy) would have faded into oblivion . With the competitive scene in the music industry of the 1960's, no amount of money or influence would have been able to sway the public that strongly.
The public knew that the girls were the real deal and recognized that special something present in the lead singer of the group.

marv2
05-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure what you envision 'or else' to mean? Throw a temper tantrum; imprison; take away jobs/home/family; pay off ; kill every human being who opposed his making his girlfriend a star. You've made some strange statements in the past Marv, but this one takes it to a new level of absurdity.
If his would-be-star were not star material, she [[and talented group members Mary, Flo & later, Cindy) would have faded into oblivion . With the competitive scene in the music industry of the 1960's, no amount of money or influence would have been able to sway the public that strongly.
The public knew that the girls were the real deal and recognized that special something present in the lead singer of the group.

Ain't nothing strange about what I said. You just need to get a clue or not respond to what I post! Berry was going to make his girlfriend, Diana Ross a star at all costs! That would include even the financial stability of the company and at the expense of all others! That is what I am saying now and that is what I mean! No further need of clarification on my part!

marv2
05-07-2014, 01:54 PM

None of what you said made sense in your weak-kneed, feeble attempt at being flip! The public was not singling out Diane......Berry and Motown were. He was the one responsible for putting her right up in your face! The public was responding to those HDH songs and production. If she was so special, why hasn't she had hits without him? Ok LOL!!!!

jobeterob
05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
The public singled out Diana; the press singled out Diana; Hell the public and press singled out Diane even!

The real rub for you Marv is that the Supremes collapsed by 1977 and Mary Wilson never had a solo hit.

She can handle it; eventually you will be able to accept it too; it might be one of those death bed revelations but it will eventually be ok.

thomas96
05-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Temps in the back middle, Miracles to the right, Martha & the Vandellas to the left, and in the way back left, looks to be Jack Ashford and Earl Van Dyke. Great photo.

supremester
05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Carol: you are wasting your breath. He's like a birther: you can wave the birth certificate in their face and they still deny it because they want it to be true. You can point out that 50 years later she's getting stellar reviews and wowing packed houses because she has the talent and know how and star quality that Gordy saw and he'll still say "yeah, but.........." because that's how it has to be in his world. So be it. If hit records were the litmus test, what does that say about Mary? Answer: nothing because he only uses the yard stick to measure what he wants to come up short. There's holes like this in almost every argument, discussion and thought he expresses on this subject. He NEEDS for things to be his way...... or else!!!! LOL!!! Hehehehehehehehehehehe!!!

Motown Queen
05-07-2014, 02:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE66VvER6rM

Here's "Do the Freddie". BUT!

What girl group walks onstage at 1:50? Is it Martha and the Vandellas?

Yes, that's them.

marv2
05-07-2014, 02:53 PM
The public singled out Diana; the press singled out Diana; Hell the public and press singled out Diane even!

The real rub for you Marv is that the Supremes collapsed by 1977 and Mary Wilson never had a solo hit.

She can handle it; eventually you will be able to accept it too; it might be one of those death bed revelations but it will eventually be ok.

No they [[the public) didn't. Berry singled her out. With the press he told them that Diana only she was suppose to speak, answer the questions. The real rub for Jobeterob is that after all these years of worshipping Diana Ross, he still knows nothing. Mary never had a solo hit? LOL! That is all you can come up with when we are talking about how Diane slept her way to the top? What poor role model for anyone that ever thought she might be. She dissed that charity in Minneapolis as she has done so many others over her miserable life.......

captainjames
05-07-2014, 08:22 PM
I wonder who was headlining this tour. Good photo. I have seen other shots of this but this one is a little different.