PDA

View Full Version : The Temptations - MASTERPIECE! The Album

test

marv2
05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
This was the album that, to me, signaled a new era for Motown [[although some would argue it was Marvin's "What's Going On")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcchsj7qukQ

alanh
05-05-2014, 04:44 AM
Great album, often forgotten in the wake of 'All Directions'. Along with the title track, Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style) is a brilliant smooth ballad and Law Of The Land a funky monster. I remember picking up the album as a new release on import here in the UK one Friday evening and being excited to go and see them that same night at the Hammersmith Odeon [[in West London) supported by Jr Walker! Great album, great days.

Sotosound
05-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Great album, often forgotten in the wake of 'All Directions'. Along with the title track, Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style) is a brilliant smooth ballad and Law Of The Land a funky monster. I remember picking up the album as a new release on import here in the UK one Friday evening and being excited to go and see them that same night at the Hammersmith Odeon [[in West London) supported by Jr Walker! Great album, great days.

March 1973 or thereabouts. I was at that gig as well.

For me, this was a more rounded album than "All Directions". The weakest track for me was the title track because there wasn't enough going on in it to keep my attention. The other tracks, however, were much shorter and, consequently, much better although I believe that the whole project would have been better if Barrett Strong was still in the mix.

soulster
05-05-2014, 11:47 AM
I like the album. But, to me, it seemed like the title track was a ripoff of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" In its production.

Norman Whitfield was shrewd to have turned them into an album band in 1969.

marv2
05-05-2014, 12:20 PM
March 1973 or thereabouts. I was at that gig as well.

For me, this was a more rounded album than "All Directions". The weakest track for me was the title track because there wasn't enough going on in it to keep my attention. The other tracks, however, were much shorter and, consequently, much better although I believe that the whole project would have been better if Barrett Strong was still in the mix.

This is so strange in a good way. It was March 1973 when I bought this album as we moved into our new house at that time. Played it over and over!

marv2
05-05-2014, 12:21 PM
I like the album. But, to me, it seemed like the title track was a ripoff of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" In its production.

Norman Whitfield was shrewd to have turned them into an album band in 1969.

Do you say that because of the long intro and long instrumental break?

soulster
05-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Do you say that because of the long intro and long instrumental break?
Yes, I do, indeedy!

marv2
05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Yes, I do, indeedy!

Gotcha! It was pretty popular around the Detroit area; it was dark, forboding and fit the times perfectly there.

JimBagley
05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Masterpiece is my second favorite Temptations album, after A Song For You.

marv2
05-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Masterpiece is my second favorite Temptations album, after A Song For You.

You have excellent taste Jim!

ralpht
05-05-2014, 04:18 PM
I was with Norman Whitfield the night he finished the album. He was mixing it at Studio B [[Golden World).
We went to the office and called Sales Director, Phil Jones to tell him the acetate was on the way for review. Norman was truly excited about this album. I could tell then that he was proud of this one.

marv2
05-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I was with Norman Whitfield the night he finished the album. He was mixing it at Studio B [[Golden World).
We went to the office and called Sales Director, Phil Jones to tell him the acetate was on the way for review. Norman was truly excited about this album. I could tell then that he was proud of this one.

Wow, Ralph, you were right there! So this one too was recorded in Detroit? Phil Jones, now that is a name I have not heard in a very long time. Thanks.

edafan
05-05-2014, 06:46 PM
I love Richard Street's work on this album.

He definitely should
be in the RRHOF

edafan

MIKEW-UK
05-10-2014, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZpde-RMe0

supremester
05-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Love the album except the uber derivative title song.