PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson: " Gays Were With Us From Start" "Fans Still There, But Divided"

test

milven
05-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Mary Wilson tells GSN:
'They were the ones who were there at the door first'
03 May 2014 |
By Greg Hernandez
Mary Wilson was there alongside childhood friends Diana Ross and Florence Ballard as the three reached international stardom in 1964 with their first number one hit Where Did Our Love Go? They were The Supremes, the greatest girl group of all time who went on to achieve a string of number one hits for Motown Records including Baby Love, Stop in the Name of Love, You Can't Hurry Love, Reflections, I Hear a Symphony, Love Child and Someday We'll Be Together. Wilson, now 70, chatted with Gay Star News on Friday about the group's immediate and long-lasting popularity with gay fans. 'It was always there,' Wilson said from the Kentucky Derby where she was set to perform at a charity benefit this weekend. 'I think because we were so glamorous that it automatically was a great attraction for the gay community - they were the ones who were there at the door first.' And among the gays, each had their favorite Supreme whether it be the lead singer Ross or Wilson or Ballard or later member Cindy Birdsong who replaced Ballard in 1967. 'To this day, there are different camps for Flo, Diane, Cindy Birdsong and the 1970s [[post-Ross) Supremes. And the fans are still there but they are kind of divided.' Much of that division has to do with the rocky relationship Ross sometimes had with the other members of the group - particularly as she was being groomed for a solo career by Motown found Berry Gordy, the father of her oldest child. Wilson spared no details about the fractured relationship in her 1986 memoir Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme. The best selling book came out three years after she and Ross had an infamous on-stage tussle during a TV special celebrating Motown's 25th anniversary. Since their 1983 reunion was such a bust, there was great hope that Wilson, Ross and Birdsong [[Ballard died in 1976) would reunite in 2000 for Ross' Return to Love worldwide concert tour. But negotiations over money broke down and Ross went on to tour, unsuccessfully, with two members of the 70s edition of The Supremes who she had never performed with before. 'It was one of those things that when I first heard it I was extremely happy about it,' Wilson says now. 'When it didn't happen, I was disappointed.' Wilson and Ross did dueling interviews with ABC News each blaming the other for the breakdown in negotiations. It seemed certain that their already strained relationship would never recover.

But the two girlhood friends and members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame did see each other last year at the opening of the Broadway show Motown: the Musical. It was believed to be the first time in about 30 years that the women who together graced countless album covers were photographed together. 'It was the first time in a long time and it was great,' Wilson said of the brief reunion. 'It was wonderful to see a dear old friend you hadn't seen in awhile. We enjoyed each other.' Whether Wilson and Ross ever truly make up or sing together again doesn't diminish their musical legacy and the fact that 50 years ago last month, they had their first number one hit and were on their way to becoming the most successful girl group of all time. Just don't ask Wilson to pick a favorite of their many hits. 'It's like having children, you can't say the favorite. Certain songs have great memories attached. You Can't Hurry Love is one of my favorites now - the lyrics are still so relevant even today, they are timeless. Songs like that and Reflections mean as much to me today as they did back then.' 'Over the years, I've begun to understand them even more.'

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/mary-wilson-supremes-says-gays-were-crazy-about-motown-girl-group-start030514

luke
05-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Interesting article.

jobeterob
05-03-2014, 01:42 PM
I guess she's right but who cares?

This is a dead issue in most of the Western World. It still matters in Uganda, some of Eastern Europe, some of Christian rural USA, to a few closeted whack jobs that post on Forums, but to the Young Western World ~ go do your own thing and mind your own business.

Roberta75
05-03-2014, 02:07 PM
"Wilson said from the Kentucky Derby where she was set to perform at a charity benefit this weekend"

That's a real nice gig but a bit different from 'Headlining the Kentucky Derby' as her 'friend' announced in another thread. hehehehehehehehehe

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
05-03-2014, 02:49 PM
The only way you headline the Kentucky Derby is if someone mounts you on your back and takes you for a ride...

LadyLola
05-03-2014, 03:25 PM
The only way you headline the Kentucky Derby is if someone mounts you on your back and takes you for a ride...

Is this from personal experience, dear?

Jimi LaLumia
05-03-2014, 03:26 PM
don't you remember?

marv2
05-03-2014, 03:47 PM
"Wilson said from the Kentucky Derby where she was set to perform at a charity benefit this weekend"

That's a real nice gig but a bit different from 'Headlining the Kentucky Derby' as her 'friend' announced in another thread. hehehehehehehehehe

Roberta

I can see now, all the praying the World will not help you.......

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/02/4999408/barnstable-brown-gala-2014.html

jobeterob
05-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Well Marv do you want Mary mounted from the back and taken for a ride?

Would you want that?

marv2
05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Well Marv do you want Mary mounted from the back and taken for a ride?

Would you want that?

Why are you asking me that type of ignorant question?

jobeterob
05-03-2014, 05:27 PM
I ask questions appropriate to the demeanor of the poster.

It seemed appropriate given how you post and treat others.

captainjames
05-03-2014, 05:51 PM
I was kind of lost at first but now I get it..................Mary was interviewed by a Gay Magazine is why she made the comments......duh.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In reality they were loved by everyone as the American Sweethearts of song. There were camps as she mentioned for all the Supremes as fans singled them out as their favorite. However, that seems prevalent of most female groups and that is whether you are gay or straight or alien.

soulster
05-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Why are you asking me that type of ignorant question? Wait a minute, Marv, he was giving you a compliment. What do all men want to do to women? :)

soulster
05-03-2014, 05:59 PM
I was kind of lost at first but now I get it..................Mary was interviewed by a Gay Magazine is why she made the comments......duh.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In reality they were loved by everyone as the American Sweethearts of song. There were camps as she mentioned for all the Supremes as fans singled them out as their favorite. However, that seems prevalent of most female groups and that is whether you are gay or straight or alien.
This forum has a couple of gays with agendas.

jobeterob
05-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh, but maybe my mind worked too slow!

Marv, if you are saying that you will stop being ignorant to various posters ~ calling them stupid and such............

Then I'll take your olive branch and give you the benefit of the doubt and forgive you your trespasses as you'll forgive others.........

And I'll be nice.

Roberta75
05-03-2014, 07:12 PM
This forum has a couple of gays with agendas.

I dont think youve got an agenda soulster. Dont sell yourself short my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

soulster
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Oh, but maybe my mind worked too slow!

Marv, if you are saying that you will stop being ignorant to various posters ~ calling them stupid and such............

Then I'll take your olive branch and give you the benefit of the doubt and forgive you your trespasses as you'll forgive others.........

And I'll be nice.
He might do it if other posters stop calling him stupid and such. The door swings both ways. Why not everyone start over around here. Wipe the slate clean and get on with music discussion? I'm up for it as long as others want to do it too. It can't be one-sided. Come on, bury the hatchet. Who's in?

soulster
05-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I dont think youve got an agenda soulster. Dont sell yourself short my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Oh you wish I was gay! Sorry, dear! I like pussy, not pinocha.

marymary
05-05-2014, 01:13 AM
I guess she's right but who cares?

This is a dead issue in most of the Western World. It still matters in Uganda, some of Eastern Europe, some of Christian rural USA, to a few closeted whack jobs that post on Forums, but to the Young Western World ~ go do your own thing and mind your own business.

My guess is the readers of the GAY Star News care about people talking about the history of the gay community but that's just a wild guess.

and rme at all this elementary school "you're gay"/"no you are" nonsense, give me a break.