PDA

View Full Version : Any Hodges, James and Smith fans out there?

test

blueskies
05-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Now that they're releasing Faith, Hope and Charity....hoping to see some Hodges, James and Smith on CD....one can hope.
Hodges, James & Smith – 1975 – Power In Your Love October 13, 2009 Hodges James & Smith [[http://www.funkmysoul.gr/category/hodges-james-smith/)

http://www.funkmysoul.gr/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Hodges-James-Smith-front-300x300.jpg [[http://www.funkmysoul.gr/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Hodges-James-Smith-front.jpg)Hodges, James & Smith were originally known as Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford [[former Motown artist Carolyn[[Caroline)Crawford).They later became a trio..Pat Hodges, Denita James & Jessica Smith… all originating from Los Angeles. Denita James had a solo single on Flip around ’63 and Pat Hodges had a solo release Keymen around ’66. The group was the brainchild of William “Micky” Stevenson and they were intended to rival The Supremes which is hard to believe because H, J & S’s sound was more aggressive and a lot more Soul/R&B oriented. Their first single was ‘Nobody’ on the Mpingo Label[[previously a hit for Kim Weston on MGM). They updated it later for one of their 20th Century albums in the 70s. So there are two versions released by them.This is a @320 vinyl rip of the original 20th Century LP including coversTracks A1 Nobody [[3:18) A2 Power Of Your Love [[3:12) A3 Momma [[3:05) A4 Monkeyshine [[3:18) A5 He Did Me Wrong, He Did Me Right [[3:04) B1 I Who Have Nothing [[5:35) B2 Sexy Ways [[4:20) B3 Rusty Old Halo [[4:27) B4 West Virginia Symphony [[3:31http://www.funkmysoul.gr/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/hodges-james-smith-back-medium-300x298.jpg [[http://www.funkmysoul.gr/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/hodges-james-smith-back-medium.jpg)Hodges, James & Smith [[HJS) was the brainstorm of producer/writer William “Mickey” Stevenson, Motown‘s A&R Director during their glory years. All Detroit natives, Pat Hodges, Denita James, and Jessica Smith were handpicked by Stevenson, though they each took different routes to get there. Hodges played the clarinet in a local band, then attended college and earned a B.A. in music. James studied ballet and tap dancing, while Smith had a gospel background.Mickey Stevenson had a great vision for HJS and groomed them to play the top, plush clubs. He created a snazzy nightclub act for them that rivaled the Supremes. They played the sweet gigs throughout Europe and recorded Incredible on 20th Century Fox in 1973, but the only thing incredible about it was the speed it reached cutout bins at discount record stores. Although a solid album, it just didn’t get a decent push. Another 20th Century album, 1975′s Power in Your Love, disappeared so fast that most people can’t recall its title. The lack of recording success though, didn’t douse HJS’ flame; they continued traveling, doing the plum gigs.In 1976, they signed with London Records. What’s on Your Mind received quite a bit of promotion and acclaim that, unfortunately, didn’t transform into sales. A second London release What Have You Done for Love, met a similar fate. During 1977, they had a few singles that nested in the nose-bleed section of the charts: “Don’t Take Away Your Love,” and a medley “Since I Fell for You/I’m Falling in Love,” but no major busters. Other artists including Bobby Womack, and Sylvester used them on sessions, but after a few more years of the same the trio disbanded, never having achieved the success they and Stevenson tried so hard to obtain.

daviddesper
05-03-2014, 12:15 AM
I adore HJ & S and would buy any and all of their material if it were ever re-issued on CD. We have discussed them frequently on here and I am sure they had many fans. I thought the recent passing of one of them [[and I am sorry I don't remember if it was Jessica or Denita) might have sparked an interest in some label to release their material, but so far no such luck. i especially like You Know Who You Are.

splanky
05-04-2014, 07:42 AM
It was Denita James who passed and I too would love to see them on cd. Loved that group...

brother_love
05-05-2014, 03:45 PM
It's sad to say that both Denita and Jessica are no longer with us.

I ran into Pat at a show a few weeks ago and she was in good spirits, but I can tell that losing both of her dear friends and singing partners has not been easy for her. Keep her in your prayers.

glencro
05-07-2014, 04:55 AM
I ran across a documentary on hulu plus that featured one of the members of the group. She was homeless but there was a Caucasian man who was a fan and trying to help her with a comeback. Sweet Inspiration was also a part of the documentary. She was performing in clubs and then going back to the shelter. I'll have to try to remember the name of it. I saw it last year some time.

reese
05-07-2014, 07:34 AM
I ran across a documentary on hulu plus that featured one of the members of the group. She was homeless but there was a Caucasian man who was a fan and trying to help her with a comeback. Sweet Inspiration was also a part of the documentary. She was performing in clubs and then going back to the shelter. I'll have to try to remember the name of it. I saw it last year some time.

I believe it was called THIS TIME.

blueskies
05-07-2014, 05:59 PM

I'm very sad to hear this. I hope things work out for her. The group brought a lot of happiness to people and that's one the best legacy's one can leave.