PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes-their final hits medley ?

test

luke
04-29-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDONnFlkdE Ed or Hollywood Palace?

blackguy69
04-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Hey hey my first time posting. To answer your question, Ed Sullivan Dec 21, 1969

marybrewster
04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDONnFlkdE Ed or Hollywood Palace?

From Sullivan. This was their last appearance with Diana. They later performed "Someday."

Watch this clip again and look for Cindy tripping on Diana's microphone cord during "Symphony."

marv2
04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
It was the Ed Sullivan Show and why the guy labeled it as "very, very, rare is beyond me when half the country probably was watching that night in December 1969.

sup_fan
04-29-2014, 03:36 PM
and this medley differs from what was being routinely performed in their stage shows. they were using the Stop/Come See/My World/Baby Love medley that was used in Farewell lp set and in videos of them touring in Europe, Talk of the Town, etc. that was sort of the "old hits" medley and then they'd typically use 3 or 4 more recent hits in full format - Reflections, Happening, Love Child, Someday.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 04:51 PM
It was the Ed Sullivan Show and why the guy labeled it as "very, very, rare is beyond me when half the country probably was watching that night in December 1969.

My take on it is that he is saying that the video he posted coupling the hits medley & Someday is rarely posted on YouTube. The Sullivan performance of Someday [[without the hits medley) seems to have been posted on a consistent basis on YouTube.

marv2
04-29-2014, 04:56 PM
My take on it is that he is saying that the video he posted coupling the hits medley & Someday is rarely posted on YouTube. The Sullivan performance of Someday [[without the hits medley) seems to have been posted on a consistent basis on YouTube.

I don't even care what he was thinking.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 05:16 PM
I don't even care what he was thinking.

If you don't care about what he was thinking , then why post your comment at all? You stated that it was beyond you as to why he would describe it as very rare.
You post many wonderful videos that have rarely been seen since they first aired... and some of them were also viewed by a good number of people on the actual television/concert performance back in the day- but that doesn't negate their rarity. I'm not sure how you see this as being any different.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Wow, the poster has 1,000 Diana Ross videos- so he states in the comment section of the video.
That comment section is very revealing...

marv2
04-29-2014, 06:01 PM
If you don't care about what he was thinking , then why post your comment at all? You stated that it was beyond you as to why he would describe it as very rare.
You post many wonderful videos that have rarely been seen since they first aired... and some of them were also viewed by a good number of people on the actual television/concert performance back in the day- but that doesn't negate their rarity. I'm not sure how you see this as being any different.

I posted my comment because it is not very very rare and you do not know what that idiot was thinking either!

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
I posted my comment because it is not very very rare and you do not know what that idiot was thinking either!

I never claimed to be able to read his or anyone's mind. I merely gave a possible theory for his terminology.
I'm not sure why you would call someone [[the YouTube poster) who does not see things in the same manner as you an "idiot". It comes across as if you have a past of some sort with the individual in question, due to your strong sentiment concerning his description of what he posted.

smark21
04-29-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm glad you pointed out it was not a rare video marvs, youtube user DetroitLives313

Roberta75
04-29-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm glad you pointed out it was not a rare video marvs, youtube user DetroitLives313

Bam and there you have it folks lol

jobeterob
04-30-2014, 02:08 AM
Bam and there you have it folks lol

With all the fuss over Funny Girl, I was watching some You Tube videos and saw Marv's comment about "some say Berry & Diana killed Florence Ballard". Nice.

When I watched I'm the Greatest Star, I had to laugh ~ I wondered how Marv felt about Mary singing to Diana that "she's the Greatest Star, she is by far!"

I know he feels much worse than Mary!

ejluther
04-30-2014, 07:08 AM
For what it's worth, c arole, when reading this thread I had the same instinct to engage in a normal conversation about the same thing and then I noticed who was posting and figured that wasn't going to happen because...well, we all know why...

As for the video itself, I've always been struck by how Diana looks sweetly at both Mary & Cindy near the very end [[as "Someday..." ends) but they don't turn their heads at all; I'm not overanalyzing it, just find it interesting and, honestly, believable that Diana's having some real emotion at that moment. And I also like how Diana walks away at the end...nice staging...

marybrewster
04-30-2014, 08:33 AM
I've watched the "Someday" performance many times, and I always thought Diana's eyes looked a bit puffy. Or there's something going on with her eyelashes. Can't quite figure it out. Maybe she was crying beforehand? Maybe she's the best actress in the world? Who knows. Whatever the case, it's a pretty dramatic last Sullivan performance for the DRATS.

On a different note, I always thought it odd that Motown 25 labeled this clip "Diana Ross and the Supremes Farewell Tour, 1970".

reese
04-30-2014, 09:48 AM
I've watched the "Someday" performance many times, and I always thought Diana's eyes looked a bit puffy. Or there's something going on with her eyelashes. Can't quite figure it out. Maybe she was crying beforehand? Maybe she's the best actress in the world? Who knows. Whatever the case, it's a pretty dramatic last Sullivan performance for the DRATS.

On a different note, I always thought it odd that Motown 25 labeled this clip "Diana Ross and the Supremes Farewell Tour, 1970".

In one of the books, this performance is described as not as "energetic" as their previous Sullivan performances. As someone wrote above, maybe they are really feeling the moment. I notice Diana looking towards Mary and Cindy near the end. She might be thinking "This is really it."

Also, I noticed that this performance isn't live as their other appearances on Ed Sullivan were. If you look closely, Diana begins with a cone-shaped mike. Then she's singing with a flat-topped mike, and then the mike switches back to cone-shaped. There was no way this could have done during one performance. They obviously taped it a few times.

marybrewster
04-30-2014, 10:16 AM
In one of the books, this performance is described as not as "energetic" as their previous Sullivan performances. As someone wrote above, maybe they are really feeling the moment. I notice Diana looking towards Mary and Cindy near the end. She might be thinking "This is really it."

Also, I noticed that this performance isn't live as their other appearances on Ed Sullivan were. If you look closely, Diana begins with a cone-shaped mike. Then she's singing with a flat-topped mike, and then the mike switches back to cone-shaped. There was no way this could have done during one performance. They obviously taped it a few times.

Wow! Good eye! I've never noticed that. Now I'll have to watch again.

luke
04-30-2014, 10:27 AM
thanks blackguy and welcome!

Roberta75
04-30-2014, 07:09 PM

Good eye reese. youd make a real fine detective imo.

Fondly,

Roberta

stephanie
04-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Mary and Cindy do lip synching very well in this clip. It makes me feel like they are really singing on Someday. This is one of their best performances in my opinion as far as a medley of songs.

blackguy69
04-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Mary and Cindy do lip synching very well in this clip. It makes me feel like they are really singing on Someday. This is one of their best performances in my opinion as far as a medley of songs.

also remember Diana's mike was picking up Mary vocals during Someday

smark21
04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Do Supremes fans really like these medleys they did? It's more common back then, but I don't think many acts do medleys these days. They either perform their songs in full, or leave them out of the set. I think hits medleys are kinda cheesy.

sup_fan
04-30-2014, 08:36 PM
i've noticed the mike thing too with the Sup's medley. i wonder if the "sponge" top fell off the mike and that's why they quickly cut to head shots of M and C.

skooldem1
04-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Do Supremes fans really like these medleys they did? It's more common back then, but I don't think many acts do medleys these days. They either perform their songs in full, or leave them out of the set. I think hits medleys are kinda cheesy.

If you have a lot of hits, you tend to do this. I noticed that Destiny's Child did this with their earlier hits. Beyonce now does a medley in her solo shows. The Jackson's also did this with their early hits.

ejluther
05-01-2014, 07:31 AM
I'm not a big fan of medleys but understand why artists use them...

REDHOT
05-01-2014, 07:49 AM
If u look close at the medley Cindy kind of trip,and kept on going,what a pro Miss Cindy Birdsong was,Cindy Birdsong was SUPREME,and you can catch Miss Mary Wilson ad-lib on Someday,THE BEST