PDA

View Full Version : New release from Ace in June: The Contours and Dennis Edwards

test

keith_hughes
04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Good news for Motown fans: Ace Records will be releasing "Just A Little Misunderstanding: Rare And Unissued Performances 1965-1968" from the Contours and Dennis Edwards at the end of June. The Contours' tracks will include titles with Joe Stubbs on lead as well as Dennis-led songs; the mix of unreleased/previously issued material will be about 50-50, including a third, previously unheard, version of "Baby Hit And Run" - sung by YET ANOTHER Contours vocalist!

Track list to follow as soon as I have [[another) moment ...

RossHolloway
04-29-2014, 10:15 AM
This is great news! Any live tracks from the group on this release Keith?

longtimefan
04-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Is this one or two different releases [[Contours and/ or Dennus Efwards? I thought I read that Ace had two releases coming in June. Thanks.

marv2
04-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Thank you Keith. I am always interested in how a group sounds once they've changed lead singers. The Contours, Dennis Edwards are favorites of mine.

snakepit
04-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Keit

thanks in advance, for what should be a superb release

lakedistrictlad1
04-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I've been 'tuning in' to this site every day for ages waiting for new ACE news. This sounds great. We've all been waiting a long time for these Dennis Edwards tracks. Can't wait!

marybrewster
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
ACE releases the most amazing, rare stuff. I need to start supporting them more. I've truly enjoyed their "Finders Keppers" set.

kenneth
04-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Wow! I have long hoped for this set. Love Dennis Edwards' early stuff with the Contours. They were so different in their later years than they were early on when they were mostly a novelty act. I don't think I've heard many of the tracks with Joe Stubbs so those will be a revelation. Fantastic news! As much as I love everything Hip-O produces, I don't think their mastering and sound quality can compare with Ace/Kent. Their releases always sound crisp, immediate and superb.

marv2
04-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Wow! I have long hoped for this set. Love Dennis Edwards' early stuff with the Contours. They were so different in their later years than they were early on when they were mostly a novelty act. I don't think I've heard many of the tracks with Joe Stubbs so those will be a revelation. Fantastic news! As much as I love everything Hip-O produces, I don't think their mastering and sound quality can compare with Ace/Kent. Their releases always sound crisp, immediate and superb.

I was just about to say, I wonder how many out there knows what Joe Stubbs sounded like? He was a great singer!

marv2
04-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Check this out........Joe Stubbs and "Part Time Love":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc7KbXxNjUs

thommg
04-29-2014, 12:45 PM
ACE releases the most amazing, rare stuff. I need to start supporting them more. I've truly enjoyed their "Finders Keepers" set.

I'm with you marybrewster! I just got the Finders Keepers set for my birthday and I LOVE it!

marv2
04-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I am sure most of you have seen this, the re-constituted Contours in 1966. Here they were a quartet with Sylvester Potts, Dennis Edwards, Jerry Green and Council Gay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgtpreUfcS0

kenneth
04-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Great vocal on 'Part Time Love' which is a great song...not sure I've ever heard a bad version of it. To me, his voice is a lighter version of Levi Stubbs, almost a tenor voice whereas I think Levi was a baritone, though I'm no expert at these things necessarily!

Thanks for posting Marv.

JimBagley
04-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Looking forward to this release. Thanks.

marv2
04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Great vocal on 'Part Time Love' which is a great song...not sure I've ever heard a bad version of it. To me, his voice is a lighter version of Levi Stubbs, almost a tenor voice whereas I think Levi was a baritone, though I'm no expert at these things necessarily!

Thanks for posting Marv.

You are welcome. I have mixed thoughts on Joe Stubbs later recordings done with Ian Levine. His voice was still in decent shape, it's just the production was kind of sloppy.

Roger Polhill
04-29-2014, 05:33 PM
This is wonderful news. I`m fizzing...

keith_hughes
04-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Here's that track list:

1 Just A Little Misunderstanding - The Contours
2 First I Look At The Purse - The Contours [unreleased alternative version]*
3 It's Growing - The Contours
4 Baby Hit And Run - The Contours [unreleased alternative version]*
5 It's So Hard Being A Loser - The Contours
6 Determination - The Contours
7 A Weak Spot In My Heart - The Contours*
8 Girl Come On In - Dennis Edwards*
9 I Can't Help Loving You Baby - The Contours
10 Your Love Grows More Precious Every Day - The Contours
11 I'm Here Now That You Need Me - Dennis Edwards*
12 What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Dennis Edwards
13 Sunny - Dennis Edwards*
14 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love) - Dennis Edwards
15 Ain't That Peculiar - Dennis Edwards
16 Can't Do Without Your Love - Dennis Edwards*
17 I Like Everything About You - Dennis Edwards
18 What's So Good About Good Bye - Dennis Edwards*
19 Which Way To My Baby - Dennis Edwards
20 I'll Turn To Stone - Dennis Edwards
21 Need Your Lovin' [[Want You Back) - The Contours*
22 Our Last Rendezvous - The Contours*
23 Sometimes I Have To Cry - The Contours*
24 I Grow Deeper In Love Day By Day - The Contours*
25 Come See About Me - The Contours*
26 When A Man Loves A Woman - The Contours*

* previously unreleased

All tracks are studio recordings. Just a single CD. Ace have another [[unrelated) Motown project awaiting clearance, and have just started planning the follow-up to that ...

kenneth
04-29-2014, 05:36 PM
What a fantastic track list! I'm anxious to hear Dennis' versions of "Brokenhearted," "I'll Turn to Stone," and all the other previously unreleased tracks. This will be a wonderful set.

marv2
04-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Ok ,now I know I am buying it! That track list is a very good one and i am buying it! LOL!

Thank you Keith Hughes you just created a customer!

kenneth
04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
I wonder who sings lead on "When a Man Loves a Woman." That song came out in '66, I think, so might be Edwards I would guess.

Roger Polhill
04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
What a fantastic track list! I'm anxious to hear Dennis' versions of "Brokenhearted," "I'll Turn to Stone," and all the other previously unreleased tracks. This will be a wonderful set.
These two tracks are already available Kenneth.

kenneth
04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
These two tracks are already available Kenneth.

Well, then I must have them! Are they on the "Cellarful" series possibly?

Roger Polhill
04-29-2014, 06:11 PM
So it`s a Contours CD including solo tracks from Dennis Edwards? This has to be about the most worthwhile release in ages. Everybody on SDF start counting your pennies and order this when it becomes available. It`s not a download so no excuses!

RossHolloway
04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Wow. What a set list, can't wait for this release.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 06:28 PM
I wonder who sings lead on "When a Man Loves a Woman." That song came out in '66, I think, so might be Edwards I would guess.

Keith,

Is it safe to assume that the majority of these songs are being presented in chronological order?

Roger Polhill
04-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Well, then I must have them! Are they on the "Cellarful" series possibly?
One is on "Cellarful 4" and the other on either of the "Motown Treasures"

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Here's that track list:
17 I Like Everything About You- Dennis Edwards

I notice the change from The Contours listing used for the two above tracks utilized on "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" and "A Cellarful Of Motown' Vol 1 to Dennis Edwards. Reading the notes in the booklet for the former which contained "WBOTBH" & "Ain't That Peculiar" , I found this quote intriguing:
"Motown mixed and matched several Contours recordings with Edwards, making them group or solo tracks, depending on the nature of the backgrounds- and perhaps his status at the company at that moment.
I'm curious... what factor determined that tracks 12 & 17 are now designated as Dennis Edwards solo performances?
A few other previously released [[only in the cd-era) group[[Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy)/ solo Edwards [[Easier Said Than Done, I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again) selections were not included here. I'm guessing due to time consideration- and personal preference. Is that correct?

rovereab
04-29-2014, 07:18 PM
I wonder if the tracks will be in mono or stereo?

Roger Polhill
04-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Is there another version of "Girl Come On In" as this was to have been included on "Sing It`s So Hard Being a Loser" and does the track "All My Life" exist as I believe that this was also to intended for this release?

BayouMotownMan
04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
I will eagerly buy this, but I think these should have been two separate releases. Maybe Dennis's two excellent 80s Motown lp on one disk with these as bonus tracks

144man
04-29-2014, 11:44 PM
This was Number One on my want list.

Are all the tracks scheduled for the "It's So Hard Being A Loser" album included?

Roger Polhill
04-30-2014, 12:04 AM
This was Number One on my want list.

Are all the tracks scheduled for the "It's So Hard Being A Loser" album included?

No" All My Life " is not included.

144man
04-30-2014, 12:24 AM
No" All My Life " is not included.

That's a shame. Maybe we'll get it some other time.

keith_hughes
04-30-2014, 03:49 AM
We only found Marvin's lead vocal on the tape of "All My Life" - maybe that one will find a release elsewhere. Otherwise, I hate to be a tease but ... see the booklet. This project took months for me & the team to research, but I hope we've managed to clear up a few "little misunderstandings" - that was not a throwaway title!

lakedistrictlad1
04-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Just looking at the track listing....WOW!...i'm wishing a month of my life away already!!

Thankyou Keith and team for another gem of a collection, and thankyou Mr Berry Gordy for canning probably more recordings on your artists than any other record label in history!

woodward
04-30-2014, 01:26 PM
We only found Marvin's lead vocal on the tape of "All My Life" - maybe that one will find a release elsewhere. Otherwise, I hate to be a tease but ... see the booklet. This project took months for me & the team to research, but I hope we've managed to clear up a few "little misunderstandings" - that was not a throwaway title!

A question for Keith. Just wondering why ACE/KENT does not take advance orders as Amazon does. Not that the price will drop, but to ensure that we will be able to obtain a copy. Most people would be more than willing to place an advance order because they know ACE/KENT is not a fly by night outfit that will rip one off.

marv2
04-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Keith it sounds like you guys did and excellent job! Key tracks that I am anxious to hear are:

It's Growing - The Contours
Girl Come On In - Dennis Edwards
What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Dennis Edwards
I'll Turn To Stone - Dennis Edwards
Your Love Grows More Precious Every Day - The Contours
Come See About Me - The Contours
Need Your Lovin' [[Want You Back) - The Contours

RossHolloway
05-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I notice the change from The Contours listing used for the two above tracks utilized on "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" and "A Cellarful Of Motown' Vol 1 to Dennis Edwards. Reading the notes in the booklet for the former which contained "WBOTBH" & "Ain't That Peculiar" , I found this quote intriguing:
"Motown mixed and matched several Contours recordings with Edwards, making them group or solo tracks, depending on the nature of the backgrounds- and perhaps his status at the company at that moment.
I'm curious... what factor determined that tracks 12 & 17 are now designated as Dennis Edwards solo performances?
A few other previously released [[only in the cd-era) group[[Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy)/ solo Edwards [[Easier Said Than Done, I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again) selections were not included here. I'm guessing due to time consideration- and personal preference. Is that correct?

It seems that the Contour's were in flux around the time that Dennis joined the group. Their releases were infrequent and they also seemed to have a revolving door with the group members. Jimmy Ruffin stated that some executives at Motown at one point tried to strong-arm him into joining the group. But he flat out refused. I think the Contours are a fascinating group and recorded some real gems, but I think Berry Gordy thought that they had limited reach/appeal. It seems that if a group/artist did not have the depth to play in upscale supper clubs or cross over into the pop markets... well the history speaks for itself.

honest man
05-01-2014, 03:10 PM
WELL IN keith,Harry and all the team for this brilliant forthcoming release Dennis Edwards my fave Temptation-Contour .Excellent 1 down 4 to go 1Edwin Starr Lost and Found,2JJ Barnes Complete Anthology inc Motown Vaulted,3 Fantastic 4 Anthology inc Motown Vaulted. 4Spinners vol 2 WE ARE BACK ON TRACK.Thanks to all invoved,cheers

honest man
05-01-2014, 03:18 PM
There was a Contours-Dennis Edwards unissued song on YT a while back [it was on a various Motown unissued mix]Excellent song [FORGET TITLE,]im hoping it is included on the new release ,fingers crossed,thanks/

honest man
05-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Is there another version of "Girl Come On In" as this was to have been included on "Sing It`s So Hard Being a Loser" and does the track "All My Life" exist as I believe that this was also to intended for this release?

Hello Roger,have you ever heard these 2 songs,speak soon mate.

radionixon
05-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow. Excellent. Missed this announcement before.

I can't wait for this one!

Roger Polhill
05-02-2014, 12:41 AM
No honest man I haven`t heard them but I guess I`ll be hearing one shortly. I can`t wait for it.
This is going to be very interesting for me as Keith is suggesting that GS 922 could have the wrong title.It`s always good to find out the correct listing after being misinformed for so long!! This is why I like this forum so much.

bradburger
05-02-2014, 07:11 PM
This is good news indeed!

Look forward to hearing the unreleased version of Baby Hit & Run from 'Yet another Contours vocalist'. [[Btw Keith, is this a mix from the period, or has it had to be mixed specifically for this set)?

By my count, that will make three versions of this tune that have been released officially, leaving what is believed to be the William Weatherspoon demo the 'unofficially' released fourth version.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Paul

keith_hughes
05-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Don't know the Weatherspoon demo, Paul. I wonder if our third version will turn out to be what you call the demo. It comes from a DM reel - Motown didn't usually bother to save demo versions to a DM tape.

robb_k
05-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Don't know the Weatherspoon demo, Paul. I wonder if our third version will turn out to be what you call the demo. It comes from a DM reel - Motown didn't usually bother to save demo versions to a DM tape.
I would bet that the version coming in this CD IS the "William Weatherspoon" demo, [[originally guessed as Ivy Jo Hunter).

I'm a little disappointed that "Easier Said Than Done" won't be on this CD, as I don't have the Cellarful CD it is on, and I WILL get this CD.

booty
05-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Just pre-ordered this on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Misunderstanding-Unissued-Motown-1965-68/dp/B00KAP2VHA/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1400004690&sr=1-4&keywords=contours

Roger Polhill
05-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks booty! I`ve just ordered mine.

longtimefan
05-14-2014, 12:34 AM
I thought that ACE had two Motown CD releases coming out [[?).

carole cucumber
05-14-2014, 01:50 PM
http://acerecords.co.uk/cache/images/CDTOP-419_383_383.jpg

http://acerecords.co.uk/just-a-little-misunderstanding-rare-and-unissued-motown-1965-68

kenneth
05-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Fantastic cover! Can't wait for this one!

keith_hughes
05-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks Carole. For the record [[ahem), from L to R it's Council Gay, Dennis Edwards, Sylvester Potts, Jerry Green and guitarist Huey Davis. [[Darn it, this has now turned up on a separate page from the picture! Sorry, outside my control ...)

kenneth
05-14-2014, 07:11 PM

http://acerecords.co.uk/just-a-little-misunderstanding-rare-and-unissued-motown-1965-68

Here you go...

L to R it's Council Gay, Dennis Edwards, Sylvester Potts, Jerry Green and guitarist Huey Davis

bradburger
05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Was just going to post that the page for this collection was up, but I was beaten to it!

And the samples are up too!

I note that the third version of 'Baby Hit & Run' [[ref, posts 45 & 46) is indeed the one that has been circulating as an mp3 for sometime, with the lead vocal that was thought to have been that of William Weatherspoon.

It will be interesting to see if what the notes say!

Cheers

Paul

keith_hughes
05-16-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure the notes say this explicitly, but BH&R was taken direct from a Motown master tape - this was mixed by Motown, not by Ace. It was very rare for Motown to mix a demo recording and add it to a master tape - they'd mix and cut direct to acetate so the artist could listen and learn the song at home. Most artists didn't own tape recorders.

honest man
05-16-2014, 04:16 PM

http://acerecords.co.uk/just-a-little-misunderstanding-rare-and-unissued-motown-1965-68WOWEE Carole for link, just played soundbytes,FANTASTIC,Dennis Edwards one of my all time faves.the Contours cd is amazing Our Last Rendevouz sounds interesting got to be in my top3 ACE releases,next time compilers Spinners vol 2,Edwin Starr Lost and Found ,Fantastic 4 anthology,JJ Barnes Anthology INC Unissued,Cheers Gang.

kenneth
05-16-2014, 06:02 PM
WOWEE Carole for link, just played soundbytes,FANTASTIC,Dennis Edwards one of my all time faves.the Contours cd is amazing Our Last Rendevouz sounds interesting got to be in my top3 ACE releases,next time compilers Spinners vol 2,Edwin Starr Lost and Found ,Fantastic 4 anthology,JJ Barnes Anthology INC Unissued,Cheers Gang.

Yep, I second the emotion for all those releases, except I am not familiar with J.J. Barnes. He must have some singles in TCMS series so I'll have to check him out there. But would love to have more Spinners, Starr and Fantastic 4.

But amazingly, I can't believe the Tempts haven't had practically anything at all. They must have a ton of stuff in the vault. They were so famous; I can't believe there wouldn't still be enough collectors interested in their material that we've never seen any except the one Hip-O release [[I forgot the name of it but it was part of their single CD series which I think was also called "lost and found").

Nothing But Soul
05-16-2014, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;229356]Yep, I second the emotion for all those releases, except I am not familiar with J.J. Barnes. He must have some singles in TCMS series so I'll have to check him out there.

Kenneth, you won't find any J.J. Barnes recordings in the TCMS series. He does appear a total of five times in the Cellarful series. Motown did not release any of his recordings, presumably because he sounded too much like Marvin Gaye. J.J. did have recordings that were released on a variety of other labels including Ric-Tic, Groovesville and Volt.

kenneth
05-16-2014, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;229356]Yep, I second the emotion for all those releases, except I am not familiar with J.J. Barnes. He must have some singles in TCMS series so I'll have to check him out there.

Kenneth, you won't find any J.J. Barnes recordings in the TCMS series. He does appear a total of five times in the Cellarful series. Motown did not release any of his recordings, presumably because he sounded too much like Marvin Gaye. J.J. did have recordings that were released on a variety of other labels including Ric-Tic, Groovesville and Volt.

Very interesting...I wonder why they signed him in the first place if he sounded a lot like Gaye, or perhaps that was the reason? Maybe to keep him out of the spotlight and avoid competition? A curious happening that they never released anything! Thanks for the information.

marv2
05-17-2014, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=Nothing But Soul;229364]

Very interesting...I wonder why they signed him in the first place if he sounded a lot like Gaye, or perhaps that was the reason? Maybe to keep him out of the spotlight and avoid competition? A curious happening that they never released anything! Thanks for the information.

I have heard that Motown did employ the practice of signing artist that could compete with the homegrown Motown Artists. How much of it is true, I don't know.

roger
05-17-2014, 04:42 AM

J J BARNES was acquired by Motown when they bought up the Ric-Tic and Golden World labels for which he was recording.

His Ric-Tic recordings were vaguely Marvin-ish but when he got the full Motown production treatment he sounded VERY Marvin-ish. This is one of the few Motown recordings that has crept out so far ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7K8I4RyFxA

On the subject of this CONTOURS collection I can't wait to get my own copy :)

Roger

honest man
05-17-2014, 05:02 AM

Kenneth, you won't find any J.J. Barnes recordings in the TCMS series. He does appear a total of five times in the Cellarful series. Motown did not release any of his recordings, presumably because he sounded too much like Marvin Gaye. J.J. did have recordings that were released on a variety of other labels including Ric-Tic, Groovesville and Volt. I Read somewhere[maybe here]there are 30 plus track recorded for Motown in vaults would love them,the 5 released track released up to now are Magnificent ,more please....................

kenneth
05-17-2014, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=kenneth;229436]

J J BARNES was acquired by Motown when they bought up the Ric-Tic and Golden World labels for which he was recording.

His Ric-Tic recordings were vaguely Marvin-ish but when he got the full Motown production treatment he sounded VERY Marvin-ish. This is one of the few Motown recordings that has crept out so far ...

On the subject of this CONTOURS collection I can't wait to get my own copy :)

Roger

Wow! He really does sound like Marvin, especially on the "Oh baby" type of ad libs. If I hadn't known, I'm sure I would have thought that was Gaye. Great song, always loved this one by Stevie. Thanks so much for posting!

RossHolloway
05-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Huey Davis after the Contours disbanded?

marv2
05-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Huey Davis after the Contours disbanded?

Huey passed away in 2000.

marv2
05-17-2014, 02:07 PM
When we first heard this, we thought it was Marvin Gaye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n82CFE7Fdc

carole cucumber
05-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Huey passed away in 2000.

Wikepedia says 2000, but every other music source that I checked says 2002.

carole cucumber
05-17-2014, 02:17 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=DykffzkFALoC&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=Huey+davis+contours&source=bl&ots=6yrNLFwn0X&sig=mZg7Soo3Z4SZEoojgFaokQhn8L4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BKd3U_uNLtTJsQSj-oKgBQ&ved=0CIYBEOgBMA0#v=onepa

indicates that after the Contour disbanded, Huey took jobs in construction and private security.

bradburger
05-17-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure the notes say this explicitly, but BH&R was taken direct from a Motown master tape - this was mixed by Motown, not by Ace. It was very rare for Motown to mix a demo recording and add it to a master tape - they'd mix and cut direct to acetate so the artist could listen and learn the song at home. Most artists didn't own tape recorders.

Thanks again for the info Keith.

I did send you a PM regarding the third version of 'Baby Hit & Run', [[not sure if you got it) but we now know it's the same track [[as you suspected).

Am I right in thinking that Ivy Hunters version of 'Ask the Lonely' was one of the rare instances of a demo vocal that was mixed, mastered, and kept? [[Although I seem to recall that the tape box or info was marked up as Tommy Good, hence the confusion on 'Motown Sings Motown Treasures').

Anyway, listening to the samples of 'Sometimes I Have To Cry' and 'Our Last Rendezvous', from the new Contours CD , the lead vocalist sounds to me different to the one that's on 'Baby Hit & Run'. [[For some reason, the vocalist sounds like, or reminds me of Bobbie Smith!)

And listening to 'When A Man Loves A Woman', the lead on this sounds different to that on the other two tracks I mentioned!

That all said, I'm very much looking forward to this CD, so thanks to you, and all involved in bringing it to fruition.

Cheers

Paul

jboy88
05-20-2014, 10:43 PM
So going from the inclusion of "Come see about Me" and "Need Your Lovin", It appears that Goodnight Irene" is the only legit track Joe Stubbs did with the Originals. [[As far as previosly released material goes) Can you elaborate on this further Keith?

keith_hughes
05-21-2014, 10:48 AM
You're probably right, jboy. There are a few unmixed multi-tracks that need checking out.

booty
05-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know when Ace will be releasing this set. Usually they despatch it earlier than Amazon.

kenneth
05-28-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised to see Amazon US posting this as costing $42! That's awfully high even for an Ace limited edition. I don't think I've ever paid that much for one of their earlier offerings such as the Brenda Holloway, Patrice Holloway, Monitors, Shorty Long, etc.

On Amazon UK, it shows at only 14 pounds which is only about $23! Guess I'll be buying it there.

theboyfromxtown
05-28-2014, 04:10 PM
I suspect you guys from the US are NOT happy about having to buy US produced music from the UK at inflated prices.

I suspect us Brits would feel the same if we had to buy Beatles music from the US.

Nothing But Soul
05-28-2014, 04:32 PM
There was a time when amazon.com used to have the best prices for imported CDs, but that ended quite awhile ago. There are several US web sites that sell UK CDs for significantly less than amazon.com [[importcds.com, blowitoutahere.com and ebreggae.com, to name but three).

Nothing But Soul
05-28-2014, 04:40 PM
I suspect you guys from the US are NOT happy about having to buy US produced music from the UK at inflated prices.

I suspect us Brits would feel the same if we had to buy Beatles music from the US.

I reside in the same town in Michigan where Junior Walker lived and is buried. I remember back in 2003 when there were two UK two-fer reissues that contained four of Junior's albums. As a I walked by a display of Junior's LPs that were being showcased at our local library at the time, I though to myself about how ironic it was that the only place I could get CDs of Junior's recordings was from England.

MIKEW-UK
05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Quote by Marv : When we first heard this, [["Baby Please Come Back Home")we thought it was Marvin Gaye:

Marv, I thought the same when I bought it. J. J. Barnes claims he co-wrote it with Stevie Wonder!

Here's a really interesting interview by Bill Randall with J.J. Barnes which gives his deep insight into what happened with Ric Tic, the Motown acquisition, and the Marvin Gaye situation which led to his departure

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gfve_jj-barnes-talks-about-motown_people

MIKEW-UK
05-28-2014, 05:28 PM
another example of how J J Barnes was a match for Marvin......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjuBGhiv6Hk

MIKEW-UK
05-28-2014, 05:30 PM
and another....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAYtxUmUZw

Nothing But Soul
05-28-2014, 05:54 PM
and another....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAYtxUmUZw

Thanks for posting this, Mike. "Snow Flakes" is without a doubt my favorite J.J. Barnes recording.

RossHolloway
05-28-2014, 07:12 PM
I reside in the same town in Michigan where Junior Walker lived and is buried. I remember back in 2003 when there were two UK two-fer reissues that contained four of Junior's albums. As a I walked by a display of Junior's LPs that were being showcased at our local library at the time, I though to myself about how ironic it was that the only place I could get CDs of Junior's recordings was from England.

Battle Creek?

Nothing But Soul
05-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Battle Creek?

Yes, Ross, you guessed it! Junior didn't grow up in Battle Creek, but he lived here for many years up until his death in 1995. At least two of the original All Stars are also buried here.

kenneth
05-28-2014, 11:03 PM

Back in the late 70s, when I still lived at home in Detroit, I traveled with my father to Europe. When we got back, he complained - laughingly - to everyone that he had to spend all his time in Paris waiting outside record stores while I went in looking for Motown albums! It was true at the time - the only place you could get reissues of the early Stevie Wonder and other LPs was on the French record labels. [[Odeon maybe? I'm not sure which label it was now.)

RossHolloway
05-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Yes, Ross, you guessed it! Junior didn't grow up in Battle Creek, but he lived here for many years up until his death in 1995. At least two of the original All Stars are also buried here.

I grew up in Kalamazoo, so I know the area.

theboyfromxtown
05-29-2014, 12:31 PM
I grew up in Kalamazoo, so I know the area.

Cal and Bertha of the Velvelettes did too...and still live there. Did you see the museum exhibit on the ladies?

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Whooppeee!!

RossHolloway
06-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Cal and Bertha of the Velvelettes did too...and still live there. Did you see the museum exhibit on the ladies?

Betty Kelly also is from Kalamazoo, she was a couple of years behind my mother in high school at Kalamazoo Central.

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Small world...isn't it! LOL

superlou
06-28-2014, 12:58 AM
My copy showed up today. Listening to it as I type this. Really a great collection. The unreleased tracks are amazing. A few more listens and I'll have my favorites.

paul_nixon
06-28-2014, 02:30 AM
This is one of the best ACE - Motown releases to date [[that might just be my preferences) but the whole thing just sounds right and really gels - I guess this will be stuck to my CD player and Ipod for the next few months.

144man
06-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Grrrrr! My copy hasn't been despatched yet:[[

Ryon6
06-29-2014, 10:58 PM
So are there selections with Dennis singing with the actual Contours, as well as Dennis solo and the Contours as a group without Dennis as lead? I'm just curious. Debating which site i'll order mine from but until then .......

I, too, would love for the Originals and Edwin Starr to be represented properly.

144man
06-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Amazon have now given me an estimated delivery date of July 9 - 14. Has release date been changed?

Nothing But Soul
06-30-2014, 08:30 AM
The release date has not been changed. I ordered it from a dealer in California last Wednesday, and my copy arrived in the mail on Saturday at my home in Michigan. I've been listening to this great compilation and enjoying it since it arrived. It was also a lot cheaper from this dealer [[$13.99 plus $3.64 shipping) than from Amazon [[$35.98).

144man
06-30-2014, 08:32 AM
I should have said Amazon UK.

theboyfromxtown
06-30-2014, 12:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZgcQ6MExk&feature=youtu.be

theboyfromxtown
06-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Not only Billy Gordon and Dennis Edwards singing lead..there are more leads

So are there selections with Dennis singing with the actual Contours, as well as Dennis solo and the Contours as a group without Dennis as lead? I'm just curious. Debating which site i'll order mine from but until then .......

I, too, would love for the Originals and Edwin Starr to be represented properly.

RossHolloway
06-30-2014, 05:18 PM
The release date has not been changed. I ordered it from a dealer in California last Wednesday, and my copy arrived in the mail on Saturday at my home in Michigan. I've been listening to this great compilation and enjoying it since it arrived. It was also a lot cheaper from this dealer [[$13.99 plus $3.64 shipping) than from Amazon [[$35.98).
Who did you order from??

robb_k
06-30-2014, 06:06 PM

Let's not forget J.J.'s first recordings on Kable, Mickay's and Ring Records produced by Joe Hunter and Fred Brown, and he also had some on Revilot after Groovesville.

Nothing But Soul
06-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Who did you order from??

I ordered from www.ebreggae.com. As the name would indicate, they specialize in reggae music, but they carry soul, r&b and other types of music as well. They have lots of imports, including pretty much the whole Ace catalog.

RossHolloway
07-01-2014, 10:58 AM
I ordered from www.ebreggae.com [[http://www.ebreggae.com). As the name would indicate, they specialize in reggae music, but they carry soul, r&b and other types of music as well. They have lots of imports, including pretty much the whole Ace catalog.
Great! Thanks!

Nothing But Soul
07-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Having now heard three different lead vocalists on "Baby Hit and Run", I have to say I prefer the Dennis Edwards version. I have this song in my collection sung by Billy Gordon and now by Jerry Green, but I don't have the Dennis Edwards version. Does anyone know if Dennis' version is available on compact disc, and, if so, which one[[s)?

bradburger
07-03-2014, 09:55 AM
NBS,

The Dennis Edwards version is on the UK 'Essential Collection': -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-The-Contours/dp/B00004SA4B/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404395622&sr=8-2&keywords=the+contours

Cheers

Paul

mowsville
07-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Received my copy today...well I thought ACE had topped themselves with the previous Brenda Holloway release but this one is off the scale....well done to all those involved...you sure know how to keep us Motowners happy.

Nothing But Soul
07-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Let's not forget J.J.'s first recordings on Kable, Mickay's and Ring Records produced by Joe Hunter and Fred Brown, and he also had some on Revilot after Groovesville.

I have not heard JJ.'s first recordings produced by Joe Hunter and Fred Brown, Robb, but I have heard the Revilot recordings. I particularly like "Our Love Is In The Pocket" and "Now She's Gone". I would love to see a reissue label do a comprehensive multi-label anthology of J.J. Barnes which would hopefully include more of his previously unreleased Motown recordings.

Nothing But Soul
07-03-2014, 07:58 PM
NBS,

The Dennis Edwards version is on the UK 'Essential Collection': -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-The-Contours/dp/B00004SA4B/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404395622&sr=8-2&keywords=the+contours

Cheers

Paul

Thank you, Paul!

144man
07-04-2014, 05:26 AM
I'm glad my Contours' compilation has just turned up. It's so hard being a loser.

honest man
07-04-2014, 06:19 AM
[QUOTE=robb_k;239141]

I have not heard JJ.'s first recordings produced by Joe Hunter and Fred Brown, Robb, but I have heard the Revilot recordings. I particularly like "Our Love Is In The Pocket" and "Now She's Gone". I would love to see a reissue label do a comprehensive multi-label anthology of J.J. Barnes which would hopefully include more of his previously unreleased Motown recordings.

AMEN,WE ARE READING FROM THE SAME PAGE.MY DREAM CD,ALONG WITH FANTASTIC 4,EDWIN STARR.PLEASE...................

robb_k
07-04-2014, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=kenneth;229436]

I have heard that Motown did employ the practice of signing artist that could compete with the homegrown Motown Artists. How much of it is true, I don't know.
That's basically why Motown bought out Golden World/Ric Tic, to get J.J. Barnes [[Marvin Gaye soundalike) and all those artists away from producers who were using the Motown session musicians to make music that sounded like Motown.

They also took Richard Street and The Distants/Majestics, and Emanuel Laskey and Norman Whitfield away from Thelma, crippling them into folding, they bought out Artie Fields, they crushed Correc-Tone, stealing away William Weatherspoon, and forcing Robert Bateman to work more in New York, and Sonny Sanders and Don Juan Mancha, Fred Bridges and Jimmy Holland [[Holidays/Hollidays) to work more in Chicago. They also had a part in making it tough for Don Davis and LeBaron Taylor's Solid Hitbound Productions to operate, and to finally collapse.

All that was done to make sure that Motown had no strong competition for the Soul and Soul/Pop crossover market from Detroit, who could use their own musicians to simulate their "sound".

That helped Motown stay relatively "unique" in the business, until Stax and PIR started to make big dents in the Soul market near the end of The '60s and throughout The '70s.

kenneth
07-04-2014, 11:29 AM
"I'm still waiting" [[albeit, not very patiently) for my copy to be dispatched from Amazon UK, which has it listed as roughly half the price as that on Amazon US. Not sure what's taking so long but to save that much money, it's worth the wait. Amazon US seems to have raised its prices across the board on many new albums. This one is listed at over $40!

Well, it was anyway. I just checked the US listing and it's now at $27. That's better, certainly. I can't imagine what made them list it so high earlier, perhaps to exploit their "lowest price guarantee" on pre-release items or something inane like that.

But looks like NothingButSoul's purchase from Ernie's Reggae [[ebreggae.com) still has the price to beat, only $13.99! Wish I'd seen it there before I ordered mine from Amazon UK. Will have to watch them more in the future.

snakepit
07-04-2014, 03:42 PM
That's basically why Motown bought out Golden World/Ric Tic, to get J.J. Barnes [[Marvin Gaye soundalike) and all those artists away from producers who were using the Motown session musicians to make music that sounded like Motown.

They also took Richard Street and The Distants/Majestics, and Emanuel Laskey and Norman Whitfield away from Thelma, crippling them into folding, they bought out Artie Fields, they crushed Correc-Tone, stealing away William Weatherspoon, and forcing Robert Bateman to work more in New York, and Sonny Sanders and Don Juan Mancha, Fred Bridges and Jimmy Holland [[Holidays/Hollidays) to work more in Chicago. They also had a part in making it tough for Don Davis and LeBaron Taylor's Solid Hitbound Productions to operate, and to finally collapse.

All that was done to make sure that Motown had no strong competition for the Soul and Soul/Pop crossover market from Detroit, who could use their own musicians to simulate their "sound".

That helped Motown stay relatively "unique" in the business, until Stax and PIR started to make big dents in the Soul market near the end of The '60s and throughout The '70s.[/QUOTE]

Must accept most of that Rob, but there are stories that Ed Wingate approached Gordy with an offer to buy Golden World, which appealed to Motown as the Davison studio was thought to be an improvement technically and Motown needed extra recording facility.

keith_hughes
07-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi Snakepit: re Davison being an "improvement technically": I think that at the time Gordy bought out Wingate, Hitsville had been using 8-track equipment for over a year, whereas Golden World was still using 4-track, and it was engineer Mike McLean's first job at GW to upgrade the studio to 8-track. The idea was [[very broadly speaking) that then, band tracks could be cut at Studio A, sweetening added at B, and the singers could go wherever the producer could block time for them. For that to happen, they needed to be able to move the tapes from A to B and back as required, knowing they would be run on the same equipment.

I hope I'm right about that, I tried to confirm GW were still 4T at the buyout in Ralph's book [[honest, Ralph!) but I couldn't find it.

marv2
07-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Ordered my copy! I can't wait to listen to it in it's entirety.

snakepit
07-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Hi Keith
Interesting. I've read that GW was judged a better studio. It may have been in the book by Motown engineer Harold Keith Taylor [[ great book by the way...if you are into the recording side of things..."The Motown Music Machine")
I'll have a check.

or was it in Ralph's book?

ron
07-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Having gotten my copy a couple of days ago and listened for a number of happy hours since, can I please add my thanks to all of those involved in this wonderful project. Another magical Ace release!
Next......

RossHolloway
07-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Finally ordered this just now. $17.63, including shipping from Ernie B's Reggae!

lakedistrictlad1
07-17-2014, 03:19 AM
Thanks to everyone at ACE for this fantastic release. It's been 'nothin' but soul' on my cd player for the last few days. The amount of gems on this cd that have been in the cellar until now is incredible. The quality of Motown music never ceases to amaze me.

RossHolloway
07-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Received my copy yesterday, and the first thing I did was read the liner notes. I've always wondered why the group stopped recording and broke up and now I know why! What a sad ending to such an entertaining group. One question that still is unanswered is why Joe Stubbs came and went from the Contours so quickly. Was it the same reason why Dennis Edwards wanted out of the group? Regardless of the answer, the Contours made some great music during their time with Motown from Shake it Sherrie and Whole Lotta Woman to Can You Jerk Like Me to First I Look at The Purse to It's So Hard Being a Loser. Thanks to ACE for putting together this collection for us fans.

robb_k
07-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Hi Keith
Interesting. I've read that GW was judged a better studio. It may have been in the book by Motown engineer Harold Keith Taylor [[ great book by the way...if you are into the recording side of things..."The Motown Music Machine")
I'll have a check.

or was it in Ralph's book?
I think that the "better studio" quote was referring most to the room's acoustics. It had a unique sound. I think that GW WAS a 4-Track studio when Motown bought it. I also heard that Mike McLean was sent there to upgrade it.

Roger Polhill
07-23-2014, 08:08 PM
What a wonderful release this is.Not a dud track and the usual well put together booklet containing all the facts we need to know. The low point for me was that there is very little chance of a unreleased album of "It`s So Hard Being A Loser". Gee Keith you know ruin the dreams of someone who would like to put a title to all those unreleased numbers.
I particularly enjoyed the remade "First I Look At The Purse"
If you haven`t bought this yet- then get off your butts and order it - you won`t be disappointed.

Ryon6
07-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Were the Dennis Edwards' solo tracks destined to be the Dennis Edwards unreleased album? I wasn't impressed with the solo tracks but appreciate them being released.

Tyrone

144man
09-04-2014, 05:09 PM
"I Grow Deeper In Love Every Day" is pure magic. Ivy Jo Hunter wrote some truly amazing songs.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-05-2014, 01:04 AM
MIKEW-UK -- Very interesting J.J. Barnes interview video. Thanks! It makes you wish we could sit down alone with each artist on the Motown roster -- one at a time -- and hear their behind-the-scenes recording-session stories they have to tell. It would be fascinating, for sure! - Gary

RossHolloway
06-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Here's that track list:

1 Just A Little Misunderstanding - The Contours
2 First I Look At The Purse - The Contours [unreleased alternative version]*
3 It's Growing - The Contours
4 Baby Hit And Run - The Contours [unreleased alternative version]*
5 It's So Hard Being A Loser - The Contours
6 Determination - The Contours
7 A Weak Spot In My Heart - The Contours*
8 Girl Come On In - Dennis Edwards*
9 I Can't Help Loving You Baby - The Contours
10 Your Love Grows More Precious Every Day - The Contours
11 I'm Here Now That You Need Me - Dennis Edwards*
13 Sunny - Dennis Edwards*
14 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love) - Dennis Edwards
15 Ain't That Peculiar - Dennis Edwards
16 Can't Do Without Your Love - Dennis Edwards*
17 I Like Everything About You - Dennis Edwards
18 What's So Good About Good Bye - Dennis Edwards*
19 Which Way To My Baby - Dennis Edwards
20 I'll Turn To Stone - Dennis Edwards
21 Need Your Lovin' [[Want You Back) - The Contours*
22 Our Last Rendezvous - The Contours*
23 Sometimes I Have To Cry - The Contours*
24 I Grow Deeper In Love Day By Day - The Contours*
25 Come See About Me - The Contours*
26 When A Man Loves A Woman - The Contours*

* previously unreleased

All tracks are studio recordings. Just a single CD. Ace have another [[unrelated) Motown project awaiting clearance, and have just started planning the follow-up to that ...

The standout tracks on this collection are 'I'm Here Now That You Need Me", with Dennis Edwards on lead and "I Grow Deeper In Love Day By Day" with Joe Stubbs on lead. Both cuts are as good as anything the group released back in the early-mid 60's.

robb_k
06-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Hi Keith
I'll have a check.or was it in Ralph's book?

At least Golden World had better room sound acoustics, but not more advanced equipment.