PDA

View Full Version : Funny Girl Frustration

test

BayouMotownMan
04-29-2014, 09:18 AM
As I knew would happen I've never downloaded anywhere but on iTunes and can't figure out how to burn this to CD or download the artwork. Unhappy camper here. If anyone can explain this to me I'll try again tonight before asking a refund.

ejluther
04-29-2014, 09:59 AM
So you bought it from iTunes? Or did you buy it from Amazon? Either way, the artwork is in PDF format and you simply need Adobe Acrobat [[a free and standard/popular program) to open it as you would any computer file. The booklet downloads automatically with the music files and should be in the same folder/location.

As for burning a CD, you can do that through iTunes very easily; create a playlist and then right click and choose "Burn Playlist to Disc" [[you'll need a blank CD, of course). And if you don't use iTunes just about any music player has a similar type of CD burn option.

And I don't think you'd get a refund - if you get the downloads and they play, they've done their job. The rest is up to you and, frankly, it's anything but difficult so I have no doubt you can do it...good luck!

Glenpwood
04-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Create a new playlist in Itunes and just put the Funny Girl tracks onto it. Then there is a burn plaist to disc option that should come up.

sup_fan
04-29-2014, 10:17 AM
hi Rick - Grant here. if you download it through Amazon, you can instruct both Amazon and iTunes to sync Amazon downloads to iTunes. if you don't have that set up, do make that change. in the mean time, the amazon downloads will populate into a specific Amazon file on your desktop. find that file. once you do, go into iTunes and use the Add To Library feature to pull those tracks in

as for the pdf booklet, use Adobe to open the file. then you'll most likely have to Duplicate the file. sometimes you can't just save the initial pdf. why, i don't know. at least i can't using my Mac. once you duplicate the file, then save the document in your photos or wherever on your desktop

sup_fan
04-29-2014, 10:26 AM
one more note

because it's a pdf, it won't save to your iPhone and iTouch as a picture. but you can save it as a Book

longtimefan
04-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Sup fan, Can you save the booklet pages individually or only as a full booklet? I cannot "drag" the individual pages onto my desktop.

sup_fan
04-29-2014, 11:00 AM
i've not tried that. i just simply saved the entire doc as a file. i do know that there are versions of Adobe that allow you to edit a document. not sure though if you have to pay for that version. also you can do some exporting and importing with adobe. you can "select" an area or image of the doc and copy/paste it

antceleb12
04-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Sup fan, Can you save the booklet pages individually or only as a full booklet? I cannot "drag" the individual pages onto my desktop.

Open your .PDF and do the following:

1) Double-click on the page/image you want to copy until it is highighted.
2) Once highlighted, right-click and choose the "Copy" option.
3) Open up a photo editor [[such as Paint) or your word processing document and chose "Paste." The image may come out smaller, but you can adjust the size accordingly.

BayouMotownMan
04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
I finally figured it out, got the music onto CD. Now if I can figure out the booklet. I keep clicking on Add the Artwork but nothing happens

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Dan & Marie Leighton elsewhere have reminded those downloading and transferring Funny Girl to cd that you will need 2 cd's as the running time is well over the 80 minute limit of cd's. They also caution that the dimensions of the digital booklet are larger than the average booklet that would fit into a standard jewel case. They suggest shrinking the booklet dimensions, although they have not as yet figured out how. If anyone is savvy to the technique to use, perhaps you might print it here and someone who can contact them might send it to them or advise them to check in here. Thank you.

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Great question Rick. I was wondering the same thing too last night. I just couldn't figure it out.

ejluther
04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
I keep clicking on Add the Artwork but nothing happens
You don't add the artwork, you just open it up - it's a digital booklet not a single picture file. Find the file called "Digital Booklet - Sing And Perform Funny Girl" [[either inside iTunes or simply do a search) and open it like you would any other file.

BayouMotownMan
04-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks EJ, you're a gentleman and a scholar. ATTN UNIVERSAL: THESE BOOKLETS ARE MURDER ON AN INKJET PRINTER>

longtimefan
04-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks EJ, you're a gentleman and a scholar. ATTN UNIVERSAL: THESE BOOKLETS ARE MURDER ON AN INKJET PRINTER>

AND... they do not fit a jewel case.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 10:48 PM
AND... they do not fit a jewel case.

See post #10 above

longtimefan
04-29-2014, 11:16 PM
See post #10 above

Please note they also said "they have not as yet figured out how."

Therefore, instead of saying it does not fit a jewel case, I might have said that it is not designed to fit a jewel case but perhaps some computer technicians can craft a strategy using various sophisticated tools.

In other words, it is not user friendly for most fans to make a booklet that fits in a jewel case. Also, I did not mention that it would need to be printed on glossy paper to have the best definition and the glossy paper that most us have for our pictures is a somewhat "thick" grade and would not fold easily into a booklet.

Then there is the issue of front to back printing.

Did I mention it not being user friendly to create our own booklet from the digital download? :rolleyes:

vgalindo
04-30-2014, 12:37 AM
I really wanted a cd release but could not resist buying it. I took the pdf file to Office Max and in the back they have a Fed Ex Kinkos printing. They printed it out for me and it is beautiful. They printed it out on high quality photo paper on both sides. It is way bigger than a cd case. It would have used a lot of ink. I played with it when I got home and if you shrink it from 100 percent to about 59 percent it is about the size of a standard cd. I only printed the 1st page since I don't have enough ink for the whole book. I might take it back to Office Max and have them shrink it to about 59 percent. First I want to play with it to make sure I get the perfect size.

Lulu
04-30-2014, 01:01 AM
I really wanted a cd release but could not resist buying it. I took the pdf file to Office Max and in the back they have a Fed Ex Kinkos printing. They printed it out for me and it is beautiful. They printed it out on high quality photo paper on both sides. It is way bigger than a cd case. It would have used a lot of ink. I played with it when I got home and if you shrink it from 100 percent to about 59 percent it is about the size of a standard cd. I only printed the 1st page since I don't have enough ink for the whole book. I might take it back to Office Max and have them shrink it to about 59 percent. First I want to play with it to make sure I get the perfect size.

Most of the Expanded Editions books are larger than a standard jewel case, no?

vgalindo
04-30-2014, 01:37 AM
Yes this is true. But you can make it the size of a standard CD.

jillfoster
04-30-2014, 02:30 AM
Please note they also said "they have not as yet figured out how."

Therefore, instead of saying it does not fit a jewel case, I might have said that it is not designed to fit a jewel case but perhaps some computer technicians can craft a strategy using various sophisticated tools.

In other words, it is not user friendly for most fans to make a booklet that fits in a jewel case. Also, I did not mention that it would need to be printed on glossy paper to have the best definition and the glossy paper that most us have for our pictures is a somewhat "thick" grade and would not fold easily into a booklet.

Then there is the issue of front to back printing.

Did I mention it not being user friendly to create our own booklet from the digital download? :rolleyes:

For glossy CD booklets, and printing on both sides, you need to use glossy flyer and brochure paper. And when you get ready to print, simply adjust your printing properties in your printers dialog box to print the pages 4.75 X 4.75 [[Inches that is, for those who use that nasty metric system), then they will fit in the jewel case just fine.

psychedelic jacques
04-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Dan & Marie Leighton elsewhere have reminded those downloading and transferring Funny Girl to cd that you will need 2 cd's as the running time is well over the 80 minute limit of cd's.

How long does it run in total? You can buy 90 minute blank cds which you can normally get about 92 minutes music on with overburning.

smark21
04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
OF course one could be environmentally responsible and not print it out and just read the booklet on your computer. Save paper, save ink, save time. I don't print out the booklets of digital albums I've purchased.

ejluther
04-30-2014, 08:13 AM
It runs about 87 minutes. I didn't know there were 90 minute blank CDs...good to know!

marybrewster
04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
If shrunk down to 59%, would one still be able to read it?

marybrewster
04-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Dan & Marie Leighton elsewhere have reminded those downloading and transferring Funny Girl to cd that you will need 2 cd's as the running time is well over the 80 minute limit of cd's. They also caution that the dimensions of the digital booklet are larger than the average booklet that would fit into a standard jewel case. They suggest shrinking the booklet dimensions, although they have not as yet figured out how. If anyone is savvy to the technique to use, perhaps you might print it here and someone who can contact them might send it to them or advise them to check in here. Thank you.

Hi carole; who are Dan and Marie?

carole cucumber
04-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Hi carole; who are Dan and Marie?

They are great lovers and supporters of Motown. They ran a Smokey Robinson & the Miracles Fan Club for quite some time.

They are acknowledged here under the other contributors heading:

http://www.dftmc.info/thanks.html

vgalindo
05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
If shrunk down to 59%, would one still be able to read it?

Yes. I just went back to Office Depot and had them print a new booklet. The first 4 pages are the inserts. Size it down to about 58 percent. Print them back to back. I used really heavy photo quality paper for the inserts. They fit a standard cd jewel case perfectly. I had them print pages 5-16 on a lighter photo paper using the pdf booklet option. It made a perfect cd size booklet that fits into the jewel case. It looks so professional. Just love it. I hope this helps anyone who is like me that has to have a cd case.

supremester
05-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Do they have a Supremes gown in a Men's XXXL?

supremester
05-06-2014, 11:23 PM
DR&TS did 3 shows a night on weekends at The Copa. 8:30, 11:30, 2 am. Miss ross had to "saunter down the hillside 6x in 2 nights!

soulster
05-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Something to think about: the more people who download this album, the less motivation the label has of creating an actual CD.

However, it is conceivable that a vinyl version would be made for vinyl fans, so I hope all you music lovers own a turntable, and a means to make a CD from one.

Earl in Buffalo
05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
OF course one could be environmentally responsible and not print it out and just read the booklet on your computer. Save paper, save ink, save time. I don't print out the booklets of digital albums I've purchased.
I decided to go that route but save the booklets on a flash drive dedicated to digitial booklets. When I want to look at one I simly have to insert that flash drive and click on the one I want to view. In these times, although I have lived through LPs, 8 track, cassettes and cds [[and still like the physical cd), downloads are here and we have to make the best of the current situation. I purchased my download from Amazon, created two playlists: original album track and 2014 remixes and printed the jewel case inserts which did the cover artwork and the track listings and put each in a slim cd case. Looks great. I had several years ago transferred my LP to a cd-r. I know people sometimes say MP3 don't sound as good but this has a been a treat as my original LP had the all clicks,hiss and sratches that LPs were prone to on the cd-r copy. The download is wonderful. To those who prefer the CD release, I agee with you but I was not going to deny myself a pristine release with bonus material and a wonderful booklet. P.S. Thanks for all the great Supremes news on this site and though I seldom post, I am here checking things out often.
"Touch"

soulster
05-10-2014, 09:42 PM
I had several years ago transferred my LP to a cd-r. I know people sometimes say MP3 don't sound as good but this has a been a treat as my original LP had the all clicks,hiss and sratches that LPs were prone to on the cd-r copy.

Off-topic, of course, but whenever I transfer a record to digital, I will remove all clicks and any obvious surface noise, and then archive the original 24-bit transfer I created and work on, with artwork in 24-bit FLAC to preserve quality.

I then make a copy of that of that as a lossless 16-bit FLAC file so I have a lossless CD quality version.

Only when all of that is done, I will then create an mp3 version from the 16-bit FLAC for the car.

So, by the time i'm done, I'll have three versions: the 24-bit master, the CD version, then the mp3 version. From the first two, I can create any other format type I need, and, if need be, I can go back to my master 24-bit version if I need to modify anything without loss in quality due to double processing with dither.

When I do make my mp3 version, it is 320 kbps, joint stereo, CBR using a LAME encoder, to ensure correct playback and playback info on whatever device its played on. I can hear the difference between 320 and lower, so I go as high as I can.

Earl in Buffalo
05-12-2014, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=soulster;228108]Off-topic, of course, but whenever I transfer a record to digital, I will remove all clicks and any obvious surface noise, and then archive the original 24-bit transfer I created and work on, with artwork in 24-bit FLAC to preserve quality.

WOW!! Although that is all Greek to me, I am impressed with your tech abilities. I was merely referring to the LP to CD transfer that a basic consumer machine makes with all warts and faults of the original. But wish I had your understanding of your process! So I was most happy to have such a nice clean version to play from the itunes download compared to my real basic transfer of my well loved but worm original LP.

REDHOT
05-12-2014, 07:22 PM
I got Diana Ross and The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl,it's good to have as a Supreme fan,but if i had to pick one of they're album's that i didn't like, Funny Girl would be the one,i can see where they were tryin' to take it,i just don't like this one,SORRY