PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Apr 29, 9P-12M ET:Andy and George, DRATS and Gil and MORE!

test

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Howdy, FOLKS! A MOST special and unique show tonight...unlike any I have ever done. We have Andy Skurow and George Solomon...their new release "Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing 'Funny Girl'" and a tribute to the late Gil Askey. And you KNOW there will be even more...because when you have Andy and George, you ALWAYS get more than you bargain for! A BIG thanks to Andy and George for their time and expertise...they are 2 very special "Nightflight" friends! And speaking of "Nightflight" friends...don't miss next week's show with 2 SUPREME ladies who have been on the show numerous times at my great pleasure...Susaye Greene and Scherrie Payne! On "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks! John

ejluther
04-29-2014, 08:12 AM
SO excited! Thanks for bringing us such great shows, Midnight Johnny - maybe you're the greatest star?

RossHolloway
04-29-2014, 08:45 AM
To quote Levi, "I'll be there!" I just downloaded the album on Amazon and can't wait to listen to it again.

marybrewster
04-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Can't wait for the Scherrie and Susaye show next week! 2premes!

greg jones
04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks Johnny for having Andy & George for another amazing release. Downloaded it on iTunes as soon as the midnight hour struck. We are truly lucky to be getting these releases. I won't be listening tonite as I have to work at LAX. Will listen to the album download on the way into work. Since we usually only find out officially about who is on Your show on the day of, here on the forum, it is too late for me to arrange the time off to listen live.

I do have a question for Andy & George though....

I bought this album when it was originally released in September 1968 and this was one of Motown's first releases that was stereo only! However at this time, my neighbor across the street was a disc jockey for WLS-AM Radio in Chicago and I got a white label promotional copy of this from him. To my amazement, the promo was in Monaural not Stereo! Was the monaural DJ copy a totally separate mix ??? or did they just mix the stereo down to 1 track ? Curious because past releases occasionally had alternate vocals on mono and stereo.

BTW, Both Sides Now website lists the original release date as 26 Aug 1968.

greg jones
los angeles, ca

ejluther
04-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Andy & George -

I'm also curious about any differences between the stereo and the mono mixes [[I have the UK mono version, too) - the new release sounds fantastic! Thanks for all the hard work and obvious love...and cheers to everyone else who worked on all the great releases, too! We Supremes/Diana Ross fans are so lucky to have you giving us such great product...

Sacramento John
04-29-2014, 02:28 PM
I do hope I can listen in this evening as it sounds like a terrific show!
In case I don't make it or get in late, I wanted to share a story related to DRATS Funny Girl.
I bought this album at it's initial release in the summer of 1968. I was so disappointed that it didn't get a CD release during the "2 on 1" era of the 1980's
Back in late 2000 or early 2001 I had purchased the remastered Diana Ross "All The Great Hits." There was an error in the pressing that while long versions of 2 songs were listed, edited ones actually got put on the CD. Back then, and I think it was on AOL, there was a "Supremes/Diana Ross" forum. I learned on the forum that I could call Harry Weinger at Motown Universal [[It listed his phone number!!) and asked to get a replacement with the corrected tracks. I called and left a message with the nice lady that answered. A day or two later the phone rang, it was Harry! Now I think he saw my name & thought it was another John Reed [[who spells his name Reid & is quite renown.) Anyway Harry was VERY Gracious, explained he couldn't replace the CD, but would send me a promo copy of the sample CD for the Supremes Box set. I thanked him and then asked "When will the Funny Girl album get released?" He explained that he was attempting but that it was difficult to get support within Universal for a "Broadway/Movie" themed Album by Motown. He said he would continue to look for some way to get it out to us fans.
It took over a decade, and now he has delivered. Thank you Harry!!!
Thank you Andy, George & Kevin. I am SO grateful, it sounds wonderful!
John Reed

RossHolloway
04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
In case I don't make it or get in late, I wanted to share a story related to DRATS Funny Girl.
I bought this album at it's initial release in the summer of 1968. I was so disappointed that it didn't get a CD release during the "2 on 1" era of the 1980's
Back in late 2000 or early 2001 I had purchased the remastered Diana Ross "All The Great Hits." There was an error in the pressing that while long versions of 2 songs were listed, edited ones actually got put on the CD. Back then, and I think it was on AOL, there was a "Supremes/Diana Ross" forum. I learned on the forum that I could call Harry Weinger at Motown Universal [[It listed his phone number!!) and asked to get a replacement with the corrected tracks. I called and left a message with the nice lady that answered. A day or two later the phone rang, it was Harry! Now I think he saw my name & thought it was another John Reed [[who spells his name Reid & is quite renown.) Anyway Harry was VERY Gracious, explained he couldn't replace the CD, but would send me a promo copy of the sample CD for the Supremes Box set. I thanked him and then asked "When will the Funny Girl album get released?" He explained that he was attempting but that it was difficult to get support within Universal for a "Broadway/Movie" themed Album by Motown. He said he would continue to look for some way to get it out to us fans.
John Reed

Great post. Harry and crew have always been responsive to Motown fans and many of the releases that we've gotten down thru the years are a direct result of them listening, and fulfilling, fan wishes.

sophisticated_soul
04-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Hey John, see you and the gang tonight:cool:

supremester
04-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Dear John,

I wish I could listen tonight but I am in Chicago and will be watching Miss Ross Live! Live!! LIVE!!! with a ton of other fan[[atics) PLease give my best to Andy & George and let them know that the entire conglomoration of fans here thank the profusely for their hard work and that they are loved and appreciated. I will DL Funny irl when I get home Saturday night, but I love it already.

My best to you, as always,

gregg

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 05:16 PM
SO excited! Thanks for bringing us such great shows, Midnight Johnny - maybe you're the greatest star? Eric......my pleasure!!!! And thank you.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Great post. Harry and crew have always been responsive to Motown fans and many of the releases that we've gotten down thru the years are a direct result of them listening, and fulfilling, fan wishes.

And, in addition, they [[Harry, Andy & George) have reminded us that they, too, are fans.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 06:02 PM
To quote Levi, "I'll be there!" I just downloaded the album on Amazon and can't wait to listen to it again. Great you'll be here, Bobby!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Can't wait for the Scherrie and Susaye show next week! 2premes! I'm excited too, Mary....and very excited about tonight's show!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks Johnny for having Andy & George for another amazing release. Downloaded it on iTunes as soon as the midnight hour struck. We are truly lucky to be getting these releases. I won't be listening tonite as I have to work at LAX. Will listen to the album download on the way into work. Since we usually only find out officially about who is on Your show on the day of, here on the forum, it is too late for me to arrange the time off to listen live.

I do have a question for Andy & George though....

I bought this album when it was originally released in September 1968 and this was one of Motown's first releases that was stereo only! However at this time, my neighbor across the street was a disc jockey for WLS-AM Radio in Chicago and I got a white label promotional copy of this from him. To my amazement, the promo was in Monaural not Stereo! Was the monaural DJ copy a totally separate mix ??? or did they just mix the stereo down to 1 track ? Curious because past releases occasionally had alternate vocals on mono and stereo.

BTW, Both Sides Now website lists the original release date as 26 Aug 1968.

greg jones
los angeles, ca Thanks Greg!!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
John Reed Hope you can listen in, John!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Hey John, see you and the gang tonight:cool: Hope so, my friend!!!!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Dear John,

I wish I could listen tonight but I am in Chicago and will be watching Miss Ross Live! Live!! LIVE!!! with a ton of other fan[[atics) PLease give my best to Andy & George and let them know that the entire conglomoration of fans here thank the profusely for their hard work and that they are loved and appreciated. I will DL Funny irl when I get home Saturday night, but I love it already.

My best to you, as always,

gregg We'll miss you, Gregg! Have a wonderful time!!!! And thank you!

Glenpwood
04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Hi John,

I look forward to listening to you with Andy, George, and Kevin. I'm sure it will be most informative and fun as always!

See you at nine!
Glen

Penny
04-29-2014, 08:05 PM
My schedule has been torture. I am really going to try and listen to tonights program. It sounds wonderful.

Penny:)

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Hi John,

I look forward to listening to you with Andy, George, and Kevin. I'm sure it will be most informative and fun as always!

See you at nine!
Glen Great you'll be here, Glen!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Ohh...in the studio!!!!

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Listenin to FG now. Purchased last night and I have no regrets. Looking forward to tonight's show and the release of BIM & A Go Go. I am logging on now. Have a great jamming supreme show MJ tonight. Bring it on!!!!!

dba
04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm in the house. I have made my purchase and listened at the office. Way to go Andy George and Kevin and of course John for being the host.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 09:08 PM
I'se here too!

Glenpwood
04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Am I the only one unable to stream womr?

144man
04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Martin from London here now.

"Funny Girl" not up on Amazon UK yet. Can you ask about British release date, please.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Listenin to FG now. Purchased last night and I have no regrets. Looking forward to tonight's show and the release of BIM & A Go Go. I am logging on now. Have a great jamming supreme show MJ tonight. Bring it on!!!!!

Howdy and welcome, Tyrone!!!! Thanks!!

kenneth
04-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Diane's voice on "The Music That Makes Me Dance" sounds fantastic. Is this the regular track or a remix?

vgalindo
04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
This song sounds fabulous. Just wonderful. Diana's voice is so good.

thomas96
04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Tuning in now...

drlorne
04-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks John, Andy, George and Kevin. Looking forward to tonight. Stayed up last night to buy it after midnight.
This sounds great....haven't heard the album for two many years.
Lorne

midnight johnny
I'm in the house. I have made my purchase and listened at the office. Way to go Andy George and Kevin and of course John for being the host.

Howdy, David!!! Welcome!!

RossHolloway
Am I the only one unable to stream womr?

I can stream and listen fine.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Diane's voice on "The Music That Makes Me Dance" sounds fantastic. Is this the regular track or a remix? Kenneth....welcome....my extended version I think you're referring to...thanks!!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:21 PM
I'se here too!

Carole.....I mentioned you.....and welcome!!!

Glenpwood
04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Got in, but took 3 computers ... Whew!!

MotownLover
John, I'm intently listening from Long Beach, CA!

:o

midnight johnny
This song sounds fabulous. Just wonderful. Diana's voice is so good.

Welcome, Victor!!!

kenneth
Kenneth....welcome....my extended version I think you're referring to...thanks!!!

It was masterful. The arrangements are fantastic.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks John, Andy, George and Kevin. Looking forward to tonight. Stayed up last night to buy it after midnight.
This sounds great....haven't heard the album for two many years.
Lorne

Great to see you, Lorne!!!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Tuning in now...

Hey there, Thomas....welcome!!!

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Hello George and Andy.

Tyrone

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:26 PM
John, I'm intently listening from Long Beach, CA!

:o

Howard.....great to see you....intently [[*smile)!

longtimefan
04-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Beautiful booklet ... that we can only see and read online. I am so disappointed than I cannot have a physical booklet as before. A "digital download booklet" is not a plus for most of us.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Beautiful booklet ... that we can only see and read online. I am so disappointed than I cannot have a physical booklet as before. A "digital download booklet" is not a plus for most of us. I do understand....and it's sad that those that head UMe aren't continuing with physical releases.....but maybe here we can focus on the work that Andy, George and Kevin have done to bring this music to us.

kenneth
04-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Okay...I was against purchasing a digital release of this but I may just have to change my mind. I didn't think the remixes were of any interest but the guys present quite a compelling case. I think I'm a convert...I'll be buying this one.

longtimefan
04-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Sure, but I mentioned it BECAUSE they were talkng about the booklet so I thought it was fair game. Sorry.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Sure, but I mentioned it BECAUSE they were talkng about the booklet so I thought it was fair game. Sorry.

I DO understand.....

Glenpwood
04-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Diana really was in fabulous voice during these sessions

sup_fan
04-29-2014, 09:47 PM
is anyone else having troubles access the show online? i've been trying to get it to play and it just gets stuck on Loading. i've restarted and all a couple of times. no luck

kenneth
04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
is anyone else having troubles access the show online? i've been trying to get it to play and it just gets stuck on Loading. i've restarted and all a couple of times. no luck

You should just be able to click "ONLINE" towards the left of the womr site. Then hit "Open" when you get a pop-up prompting you to open your selected media player [[VLC for example).

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Diana really was in fabulous voice during these sessions

Absolutely!!!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Sup_-you can also get it on ITunes....maybe give that a try....

sup_fan
04-29-2014, 09:54 PM
yeah that's what's worked in the past. i tried it this time and not working. oh well

RossHolloway
04-29-2014, 09:55 PM

I lost the connection about 15 minutes ago and haven't been able to get back on line either.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
I was connected initially, but cannot reconnect no matter what I try. What an unexpected surprise.

sup_fan
04-29-2014, 09:57 PM
finally got it to work.

kenneth
Guys - why not try rebooting just in case.

Glenpwood
Useless trivia time...

Can anyone name the only artist charting more albums than DRATS during the week of 12/14/68 when the girls were riding the Billboard listings with Funny Girl at #199, Love Child debuting at #158, Greatest Hits at #66, Talk Of The Town at #59, and Join The Temptations at #47?

144man
04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Strange that I haven't had any problems with the streaming in the UK.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Something is rotten in Styneville!

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 10:01 PM
There is an error code showing up in Real Player
http://99.198.118.250:8037/stream

How does one fix/over-ride it?

kenneth
04-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Useless trivia time...

Can anyone name the only artist charting more albums than DRATS during the week of 12/14/68 when the girls were riding the Billboard listings with Funny Girl at #199, Love Child debuting at #158, Greatest Hits at #66, Talk Of The Town at #59, and Join The Temptations at #47?

The Beatles?

kenneth
04-29-2014, 10:11 PM

Carole, can you specify an alternate media player such as Windows Media Player or VLC? The show will play on any of them. You don't have to use Real Player.

If you download VLC media player, you can specify it as your "default media player," I believe, at the time of download.

http://www.vlcapp.com/jump/vlc-free-m/?pk=540775&source=msn&mkwid=uniqid&pcrid=creative_id&pmt=matchtype&pkw=keyword_text&c=VLCApp_Exact

marybrewster
04-29-2014, 10:12 PM
I have to admit; I've been trying to connect to the show and all I get is error messages.

Have a great show mj; send my love to Andy and George! xo

marybrewster
04-29-2014, 10:13 PM

I've tried using the Real Player and the Windows Media Player. Errors on both. I gave up.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 10:17 PM
It seems a bit odd that some people are either losing connection or not making connection to WOMR. And as I see few comments posted about the interview, is Johnny having any difficulty connecting to Andy, George & Kevin?

Glenpwood
04-29-2014, 10:18 PM
The Beatles?

Nope, it was surprisingly Glen Campbell.....

Oh, and Funny Girl spent four consecutive weeks as the tenth biggest selling Motown LP. Another odd chart fact, Barbra Streisand toppled DRATS on two fronts. She outsold the girls with her Funny Girl soundtrack and the only live album outselling/charting higher on the Billboard Top 200 albums than Live At Londons Talk Of The Town during it peak was Babs "A Happening In Central Park."

vgalindo
04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Welcome, Victor!!!

Thank you Johnny... Wonderful show!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:23 PM
I just contacted Matt, the operations manager....not sure if he can do anything about the errors and non-connectivity....but he is researching right now. Sorry folks!!!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:24 PM
I have to admit; I've been trying to connect to the show and all I get is error messages.

Have a great show mj; send my love to Andy and George! xo

Thanks, Mary....sorry about the connection.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Thank you Johnny... Wonderful show!

Thanks so much, VIctor...I appreciate it!!!

RossHolloway
04-29-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm back on! Love listening to George and Andy.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:30 PM
For the past 10 minutes...I couldn't get the show on the office computer...having the same problems many have had. It just came back on using ITune/Winamp....maybe try that!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm back on! Love listening to George and Andy.

Excellent!!!

jobeterob
04-29-2014, 10:34 PM
This is an awesome show. Works fine on ITunes for me.

DianaLove
04-29-2014, 10:36 PM
I am loving this, So glad to hear Gil Askey getting his due praise. I thought his passing was somewhat overlooked by the music world, outside of our DR/Motown Community.

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:36 PM
This is an awesome show. Works fine on ITunes for me.

Hey there Rob!!! Glad you can hear it! The OP Manager said it's back on...not sure why it went out for some. Are other people able to listen?

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
I didn't lose any connection at all. I am using my iPhone though.

sophisticated_soul
04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
This unique format is working very well John. Great show.:cool:

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:38 PM
I am loving this, So glad to hear Gil Askey getting his due praise. I thought his passing was somewhat overlooked by the music world, outside of our DR/Motown Community.

Welcome, Sean!!!! Thanks!

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:40 PM
This unique format is working very well John. Great show.:cool:

Thanks, Joe!!!

sophisticated_soul
04-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Are other people able to listen?

I didn't have a problem at all. Transmission not interrupted, great sound. I'm using Windows Media Player.

dba
04-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Wow. Bravo of course to Diana Ross and the Supremes but to Andy, George and Kevin but to also to Gill Askey the maestro. Wow this on the radio.

vgalindo
04-29-2014, 10:43 PM
I didn't have a problem at all. Transmission not interrupted, great sound. I'm using Windows Media Player.
I also had no problem using Windows Media Player.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm finally reconnected.... but I and several others have missed most of the program. Is there anyway this can be rebroadcast?

midnight johnny
04-29-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm finally reconnected.... but I and several others have missed most of the program. Is there anyway this can be rebroadcast? Not certain about that at this point,Carole....

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 10:51 PM
Has HipO ever thought about selling the remaining cds at a reduced cost?

vgalindo
04-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Can you ask George and Andy is "Baby It's me" planned as a single or double cd? The Copa cd states double but I also have heard it will now be a single cd.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Although I've not heard Kevin Reeve's voice before, for some reason his voice reminds me of one of the Beach Boys....

Glenpwood
04-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Love Kevin throwing shade at all the current female hit vocalists about singing live with an orchestra.....;)

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Has HipO ever thought about selling the remaining cds at a reduced cost?

I've obviously missed mention of Hip-O -Select... what was said?

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 11:03 PM
I've obviously missed mention of Hip-O -Select... what was said?
Nothing at all Carole.

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Nothing at all Carole.

You asked a question about nothing at all.. or comments were made about nothing at all???

kenneth
04-29-2014, 11:06 PM
You asked a question about nothing at all.. or comments were made about nothing at all???

Carole, not sure when you tuned back in but they said that "Baby It's Me" is hopefully the next project, and will be a physical CD. I've been in and out of the room, so I'm not sure if they discussed the "A Go Go" offering or not.

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 11:10 PM

I just asked a question.

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Carole, not sure when you tuned back in but they said that "Baby It's Me" is hopefully the next project, and will be a physical CD. I've been in and out of the room, so I'm not sure if they discussed the "A Go Go" offering or not.

No conversation regarding "A Go Go".

ejluther
04-29-2014, 11:12 PM
My stream keeps sticking/repeating! Weird...

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Are Andy & George aware that those who are trying to print out the digital booklet to put into the jewel case in which their cd's made from the download will be housed are finding the dimensions to be bigger than a standard jewel case? [[sorry for the long,long sentence)

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Keep praying, Johnny....

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 11:30 PM
The KISS remixes are vinyl releases, aren't they?

carole cucumber
04-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Perhaps Scherrie & Susaye will give a live acappella preview of their July event on Nightflight next week.....one can hope, can't one

Ryon6
04-29-2014, 11:51 PM
MJ, can you ask Andy if they will continue with the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles multi-album package as they did with Depend On Me?

kenneth
04-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Great show...and I'll definitely be buying the Funny Girl set.

Glenpwood
04-30-2014, 12:08 AM
WOMR really changed gears fast with that first song about wanting to Fu$@ing tear you apart. Lol

great show John!

sophisticated_soul
04-30-2014, 12:08 AM
Great show John! Thanks Andy! See y'all next time for Scherrie & Susaye.:cool:

daviddh
04-30-2014, 12:09 AM
damn I missed the entire show, couldn't get home in time. is there a way to listen to it now?

Motown Andy
04-30-2014, 12:11 AM
Thank you everyone for listening. I'm sorry so many people had difficulty logging on. I hope John can re-air the show at a later date. This one was special.
Ryon6, I believe the Smokey/Miracles sets will continue.
Kenneth, I'm so glad you'll be buying the set!

jobeterob
04-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Thank you everyone for listening. I'm sorry so many people had difficulty logging on. I hope John can re-air the show at a later date. This one was special.
Ryon6, I believe the Smokey/Miracles sets will continue.
Kenneth, I'm so glad you'll be buying the set!

I think we are so fortunate to have this show and various of John's shows and a way in which we can "get together".

It is what is nice about SD as well ~ held together by a love of Motown.

I didn't catch the whole show but quite a bit. Thank you.

144man
04-30-2014, 12:17 AM
I had no problem with the streaming for the entire programme.

I enjoyed the album much better than I did in the 60s and will be downloading it if it ever gets British release. As I'd like it in physical form, I'll have to learn how to burn a CD.

The snippets comparing the Supremes and the Andantes were fascinating, and while it wasn't too difficult to identify them when played one after the other, I still don't think I'd be very accurate doing it in isolation.

ejluther
04-30-2014, 07:00 AM
I missed about 11 minutes due to skipping/repeating weirdness but loved what I heard! Can't wait for next week and, again, thank you to all involved for so many great Supremes-related NIGHT FLIGHT episodes - they are wonderful!

marybrewster
04-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi mj-

Do you know; will technical issues be addressed before the next Nighflight show? Looks like there were more than just a handful of listeners that encountered problems. I'd hate to miss Scherrie and Susaye.

Thanks!

MB

midnight johnny
04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi mj-

Do you know; will technical issues be addressed before the next Nighflight show? Looks like there were more than just a handful of listeners that encountered problems. I'd hate to miss Scherrie and Susaye.

Thanks!

MB MB.....if you check above, you will see that during the show, I contacted the operations manager. He, in turn, contacted the technical people....I'm not certain what will come of it, but I'm am sure the heads at WOMR don't want the problems that occurred last night for some to have to deal with that again. It also wouldn't hurt to send an email to the operations manager to let him know the impact of the problem. Please email Matt Dunn at matty@womr.org Thanks, MB! John

marybrewster
04-30-2014, 08:36 AM
MB.....if you check above, you will see that during the show, I contacted the operations manager. He, in turn, contacted the technical people....I'm not certain what will come of it, but I'm am sure the heads at WOMR don't want the problems that occurred last night for some to have to deal with that again. It also wouldn't hurt to send an email to the operations manager to let him know the impact of the problem. Please email Matt Dunn at matty@womr.org Thanks, MB! John

Thank you kind sir!

midnight johnny
04-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Words can't really express my appreciation to Andy Skurow, George Solomon and Kevin Reeves for creating a most special show for "Nightflight" last night. And Andy deserves special thanks. He did a ton of work to record, edit and insert the wonderful tracks we heard from "Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing and Perform 'Funny Girl'" into the remarkable discussion we were privileged to listen to. Andy...you are Motown's Guardian Angel. Thank you! John

kenneth
04-30-2014, 10:31 AM
damn I missed the entire show, couldn't get home in time. is there a way to listen to it now?

The discussion between Andy, George and Kevin [[I think he was the 3rd gentleman) was pre-taped so I would think at least that portion of the show would be able to be heard again in one form or another.

supremester
04-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Herb Alpert?

Useless trivia time...

carole cucumber
04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
The discussion between Andy, George and Kevin [[I think he was the 3rd gentleman) was pre-taped so I would think at least that portion of the show would be able to be heard again in one form or another.

Andy had this to say:

Thank you everyone for listening. I'm sorry so many people had difficulty logging on. I hope John can re-air the show at a later date. This one was special............

Andy's given his approval, so it looks as if it's Johnny's court.

jobeterob
04-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Herb Alpert?

How about Glen Campbell?

kenneth
04-30-2014, 06:14 PM
How about Glen Campbell?

You are right, Rob. He confirmed it for me yesterday after I guessed the Beatles.

carole cucumber
04-30-2014, 06:14 PM
How about Glen Campbell?

From Post #69:

Nope, it was surprisingly Glen Campbell.....

Oh, and Funny Girl spent four consecutive weeks as the tenth biggest selling Motown LP. Another odd chart fact, Barbra Streisand toppled DRATS on two fronts. She outsold the girls with her Funny Girl soundtrack and the only live album outselling/charting higher on the Billboard Top 200 albums than Live At Londons Talk Of The Town during it peak was Babs "A Happening In Central Park."

midnight johnny
04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I chatted with Andy this morning. Considering the fact that the "DRATS Sing And Perform 'Funny Girl'" digital release is so popular and that so many folks had a problem maintaining connectivity with last night's show and missed some of it [[not to mention that I loved Andy's, George's and Kevin's discussion and I'd love to listen to it again), I've decided to re-air last night's show one more time. The date? Tuesday, May 13th, 9P-12M ET! That's a week from next Tuesday...pass it on! Thanks! John PS: Remember...next week....Susaye Greene and Scherrie Payne.....LIVE!

sup_fan
04-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Midnight - you say "words can't express…" but i think you did express it wonderfully. i'll paraphrase. you said that previously you didn't like this concept lp at all. then with the wonderful work of Andy, George, Kevin and others you now say this was a great strong project. regardless of chart success and even if it's still not your fav. to me that more then expresses both your gratitude and thanks for their job well done! :)

midnight johnny
05-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Midnight - you say "words can't express…" but i think you did express it wonderfully. i'll paraphrase. you said that previously you didn't like this concept lp at all. then with the wonderful work of Andy, George, Kevin and others you now say this was a great strong project. regardless of chart success and even if it's still not your fav. to me that more then expresses both your gratitude and thanks for their job well done! :) Grant....thank you. No...."DRATS SAPFG" was never a favorite of mine, and at best was the least. I didn't enjoy the original mix; I didn't like the fact that it was a purely "vanity" project for Diana; I didn't like how the background singers were used to echo over and over again that Diana is the "greatest star" and it didn't make sense to me that Diana would be put in a position to have her version be compared to what I thought was the definitive version....Streisand's. But somehow...someway...George, Andy and Kevin were able to rework the mix into something quite beautiful...so beautiful in fact that I was able to truly appreciate what was originally recorded rather than merely buy into what Berry was trying to do with the project. On a really primitive level...the sound of the reworked version is just pleasing to my ear. I am more than happy about the new project by George, Kevin and Andy...I'm satisfied!

dba
05-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Totally echo John's feeling about this project. I listened to the new mix last night and had a whole new appreciation for the project. Still not happy about the "speech' during People but that would be nit pickie. Amazing project as always and my hats off to George Andy Kevin and maestro Perrone. Also a sweet remembrance of Gill Askey. Bravo all around.

kenneth
05-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I agree as well. I played the LP recently and while I enjoyed it more than I had previously, it didn't really stand out to me. The mastering and mixing on the new project is really wonderful and brings out the "show tune" aspects of the score much more than does the LP I think. Also, Diane's vocals on the newly mastered effort sound fuller, not as thin as on the old LP. I hadn't planned to buy the download before listening the other night but now I will be.

ejluther
05-01-2014, 02:53 PM
it didn't make sense to me that Diana would be put in a position to have her version be compared to what I thought was the definitive version....Streisand's. That was always my feeling, too - plus, "DRATS SAPFG" came out 3 weeks before the movie and its soundtrack did! It just feel like a brazen and crass move to try and scoop the original like that; Berry's naked ambition to have Diana be his "sepia Streisand" was never more evident. But, now, with all these years gone by and this sparkling new remastered/remixed release - all is forgotten and it turns out there's plenty of room for both Ross/Supremes and Streisand to give us "Funny Girl"...

midnight johnny
05-01-2014, 06:16 PM
That was always my feeling, too - plus, "DRATS SAPFG" came out 3 weeks before the movie and its soundtrack did! It just feel like a brazen and crass move to try and scoop the original like that; Berry's naked ambition to have Diana be his "sepia Streisand" was never more evident. But, now, with all these years gone by and this sparkling new remastered/remixed release - all is forgotten and it turns out there's plenty of room for both Ross/Supremes and Streisand to give us "Funny Girl"... Eric...I totally agree!

vgalindo
05-02-2014, 12:23 AM
I never really played the album too much. But I can't stop playing the new expanded edition. It truly does sound really good. George, Andy, Harry, and Kevin have done a fantastic job. I can hardly wait for BIM and A Go Go. I know they will be just as wonderful.

midnight johnny
05-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Just a preview on tomorrow night's show....Live...Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene for a chat about "Partners" and so much more! http://img.cdandlp.com/2013/11/imgL/116216016.jpg