PDA

View Full Version : IS SDF Turmning Into a You Tube Promo arena

test

paul_nixon
11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Have to say I'm getting a bit bored of seeing new message subjects rushing to read them and finding out they are a link to You Tube - surely SDF members can find these on their own?

Kamasu_Jr
11-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Have to say I'm getting a bit bored of seeing new message subjects rushing to read them and finding out they are a link to You Tube - surely SDF members can find these on their own?

There are a lot of them, but I think I understand the reasons behind them and that's to take the emphasis off of the negative Supremes' threads and get members back to discussing the music.. It has been fun discussing something other than the Supremes.

Glenpwood
11-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I think this is just an effort to spark commentary and discussions on these songs and to break up the monotony of all the Supremes threads

midnightman
11-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Yep that's exactly what we're doing. I'm tired of seeing that kind of talk.

Kamasu_Jr
11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Yep that's exactly what we're doing. I'm tired of seeing that kind of talk.

Amen! I'm sick of the madness. I don't even listen to the Supremes music anymore because I don't want to in the midst of the craziness. To me, it's had a negative impact on the Supremes.' legacy..something I'm sure none of them would welcome.

topdiva1
11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
I hope not.

paul_nixon
11-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Would agree all that rubbish gets on my nerves as well but this is in danger of taking over - maybe it would be better to give the Supremes posters a room of their own.

midnightman
11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Well I am actually trying to balance it out with some discussion not related to the Supremes but it's hard.

Kamasu_Jr
11-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Would agree all that rubbish gets on my nerves as well but this is in danger of taking over - maybe it would be better to give the Supremes posters a room of their own.

How long have some asked for that? But it hasn't been done. And the members who keep up the most drama don't want to be secluded away from the rest of the forum because they'd be ignored.

midnightman
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I just think we need more topics to balance it all out. It was getting boring anyway. Just spicing it up.

motownmorph1
11-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I agree with Paul Nixon and wonder if it would be better to have a seperate section on SDF for people to post up their youtube clips, and thus leave these forums for people to discuss Motown & much more!

moprh

milven
11-02-2010, 02:29 PM

The people who replied to this question turned it into another Supremes thread. Sad. :[[
In answer to your question, I sometimes post a link to YouTube to further the discussion of the thread.
Example: In a recent thread, the originator asked what our favorite Stylistics song was. Since my selection was obscure, I posted a You Tube link so that the song could be heard and further the discussion.

This forum discuses music. You Tube has music that we can listen to and watch. What's the problem?

How easily each discussion is linked to the Supremes :confused: :[[

midnightman
11-02-2010, 02:33 PM
^ Sorry about that, I tried not to. LOL
I'm just gonna avoid that name unless there's a topic of them I think will have healthy discussion.

jobeterob
11-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Bury the Supremes threads.........or most of them. I think it's great.

Love the Youtube thing for a while; it exposes some long forgotten songs and reminds us of some great songs.

I'm all for a Supremes Room. It is all just idle talk anyway and if it helps us old farts fiddle away the day, let's have it.

I think a Supremes Room separate from Motown will please many and perhaps bring back some posters.

Also, every 3 weeks..........I'd suggest Ralph go in the Supremes Room............and hit DELETE ALL and then we'll have a re-start.

soulster
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM

I'm with you. The good thing is that the focus is back on music instead of tabloid-type gossip, but I never cared for music videos. I find them quite annoying, too. It's like instead of actually talking about music, people just throw up a video without any real musical discussion. It's the easy way out. Stephanie made a post about the way Chris Clark's "Love's Gone Bad" song was poorly arranged, and I made a post agreeing with her. Instead of posting some video clip, we actually made conversation. Sadly, the art of conversation is going away. If people aren't avoiding it, they are shouting at, berating, and insulting each other instead of exchanging ideas.

OTOH, it's probably not much different than posting audio clips, but there's something about videos that doesn't jibe with music.

Kamasu has it right. I get so sick of seeing threads about the Supremes/Mary Wilson/Diana Ross. It's like people forget there was more to Motown than those people, and more to Detroit music than Motown.

I have said it more than once that I would like to see more technical discussion around here, about how classic recordings were made, but, I guess with this bunch, it ain't gonna happen. I thought we'd get some of that with Tom Moulton hanging out here, but I guess not.

soulster
11-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I think this is just an effort to spark commentary and discussions on these songs and to break up the monotony of all the Supremes threads

Yeah, it's like some of us try to discuss other artists like Earth, Wind & Fire, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Temptations, Rick James, Jermaine Jackson, James Brown...but so many people here are stuck on the Supremes. And, I don't think I remember ever seeing a thread about the Four Tops. They were once Motown too!

soulster
11-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Amen! I'm sick of the madness. I don't even listen to the Supremes music anymore because I don't want to in the midst of the craziness. To me, it's had a negative impact on the Supremes.' legacy..something I'm sure none of them would welcome.

Dude, I just started a poll trying to find out exactly where the forum is on the Supremes popularity, and no one can even answer it.

I started a poll on hi-rez, and only got one person who probably even knew what they were.

soulster
11-02-2010, 03:23 PM
The people who replied to this question turned it into another Supremes thread. Sad. :[[
In answer to your question, I sometimes post a link to YouTube to further the discussion of the thread.
Example: In a recent thread, the originator asked what our favorite Stylistics song was. Since my selection was obscure, I posted a You Tube link so that the song could be heard and further the discussion.

This forum discuses music. You Tube has music that we can listen to and watch. What's the problem?

How easily each discussion is linked to the Supremes :confused: :[[

But, that's the thing: people don't discuss the music more. They just throw up more videos. Look what happened to the Disco thread: for a time it was nothing but a barrage of videos without much discussion.

I have posted a few vids too, but I want the music to be discussed.

midnightman
11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
^ That was kinda like what I was trying to do and I'm trying to do that now. Y'all can help! LMAO! Isn't there anything you wanna discuss that hasn't been discussed and want to discuss? I'll probably be the only guy replying back though. :[[

luke
11-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Here we go -- another controversy about this now!!Relax everyone. Cant people just nicely post their comments about whatever they want? The key is simply respect.

paladin
11-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Interesting, there is a Four Tops Levi Stubbs thread which I started some time ago. Personally I use youtube or other videos to illustrate a point I've made in the narrative or some other perspective. The Supreme threads I avoid with a passion, the numerous reasons have all been stated.

Recently there has been a rash of single postings which are basically links to other videos, which are really duplicates of threads that folk are already discussing. This is more nerve racking to me than the Supremes threads because basically they are without substance. Furthermore the more that people post like this, the more they become akin to spam. There are so many threads that the more salient and informative threads get lost in the mix.

Thats my 2 cent for now........

Oh yes, I'd rather talk about the music and Motown with SDF members anyday, than talk about another forum member. History has shown us its not a productive utililzation of time.

midnightman
11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I guess it's up for us to add more input. I'm gonna stop it with the spamming though. I can see how it can drive folks nuts but, I don't know, I guess it seems like we're just looking at the board and going elsewhere LOL or that's just me I don't know.

paladin
11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I understand your concern, but I've learned over the years that the forum is not a "static place", sometimes we all need to adapt and adjust our pace a bit and it generally bears fruit. Sure sometimes we step away, only to return more vibrant and interesting than we were before. There have been several recent low points, including some new members that were totally out of the box and off the wall, that situation has been quelled to some extent, but I am not convinced that it's over.

I don't blame you at all Midnightman for trying to "hold up" the forum. I just didn't agree with your method. In fact I appreciate your attempts to illustrate and discuss a problem rather than resorting to telling me to stick foreign objects up my a** because you don't agree with me. Like many of you I like coming here because of the subject matter and with enough thought and the injection of intelligent assessments the forum will jumpstart and reboot itself. Just watch and see..........and thank you again for trying .... and yes you do know.

Kdubya

smark21
11-02-2010, 09:20 PM
There is obviously a ton of music posted at youtube and it's a good source to turn at a music discussion board like this to get people talking about a song, an artist, a genre. Not everyone may have the song[[s) under discussion and having a handing link to play it, hear it, see it, is a good way of generating discussion. What should be done--ban you tube links and limit discussion to those who know the song and can recall it? Also, most of the youtube videos for vintage songs are not videos per se, but either a bunch of still photos of the artist, or a shot of a 45 being played, not exactly a visual that will ruin the song for you. And if you can't bear to look, minimize your screen, scroll down or turn away from your monitor and listen. It's stupid to bitch about having to watch a youtube video to hear a song when there are easy solutions to avoid the visual if you so choose.

marv2
11-02-2010, 09:31 PM
There is obviously a ton of music posted at youtube and it's a good source to turn at a music discussion board like this to get people talking about a song, an artist, a genre. Not everyone may have the song[[s) under discussion and having a handing link to play it, hear it, see it, is a good way of generating discussion. What should be done--ban you tube links and limit discussion to those who know the song and can recall it? Also, most of the youtube videos for vintage songs are not videos per se, but either a bunch of still photos of the artist, or a shot of a 45 being played, not exactly a visual that will ruin the song for you. And if you can't bear to look, minimize your screen, scroll down or turn away from your monitor and listen. It's stupid to bitch about having to watch a youtube video to hear a song when there are easy solutions to avoid the visual if you so choose.

I don't think that is what they are talking about. I think it is totally find to use a video clip as an example, to buttress a discussion in progress or the beginning of a new thread. To simply put up a barrage of new threads with a bunch of random songs/artists is irritating. I do understand and appreciate Midnightman's and a few others thoughts behind it. That was my way of thinking when I started the "What is Your Favorite Temptations Song and Why?" "Stevie Wonder the 1966-71 Period" and "The Disco Era" threads. Part of the problem is that there is hardly any time to discuss a certain, specific recording before 5 more are put up.

uptight
11-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't mind the videos or scrolling down them in a thread. They usually pertain to the subject. Why moan about these free services like YouTube and SDF? FREE..!

soulster
11-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Earlier today, I started a thread with a discussion about the song. I did not use a YouTube video. I uploaded a clip of the song so it wouldn't be clouded by visual images. I also uploaded a relatively obscure song by Etta James. Yet, it sank like an anvil. It makes me think people here would rather just post videos.

marv2
11-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Here we go -- another controversy about this now!!Relax everyone. Cant people just nicely post their comments about whatever they want? The key is simply respect.

Precisely!!!

paladin
11-02-2010, 11:04 PM
That was my way of thinking when I started the "What is Your Favorite Temptations Song and Why?" "Stevie Wonder the 1966-71 Period" and "The Disco Era" threads. Part of the problem is that there is hardly any time to discuss a certain, specific recording before 5 more are put up.

That is an irritating feeling but sometimes people just pull the trigger so fast when posting videos that they forget to read what the subject is about as the original poster intended. I've seen so many examples of this that its laughable. Not only will people post videos but literally entire discography's of an artist or artist that has absolutely nothing to do with the origin thread. But again I tend to stay away from those threads and sympathize with the threads creator because "his/her subject matter has went to hell in a hand basket. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding as they say, a thread will have 12 replies and 500 views ....WTF ?

What should be done--ban you tube links and limit discussion to those who know the song and can recall it? Also, most of the you tube videos for vintage songs are not videos per se, but either a bunch of still photos of the artist, or a shot of a 45 being played, not exactly a visual that will ruin the song for you.

Of course not, but there is another thing that happens on the forum and its based upon mutual respect, its the inherent ability that we have have in wanting to share life experiences just the same as we share information about records, collecting and our favorite artists. I personally love the exchanges that occur when folk from the UK say this record was a big hit in the UK and then we say well it wasn't a big hit over here [[US) ?

I learned about Northern Soul and All Nighters and the records that were played at those venues. Some obscure, others familiar. Thats the basic premise and foundation for SDF and it works very well when left to its own devices and adherence to the rules of the joint. I've posted extensively about young people who look in here for answers to their soul questions, Satipe's kids are always in the forefront of my mind and yes some of our younger members have the requisite "modern attention span" and can do some pretty wacky things but overall I think we're doing just fine.

I have noticed that putting up a gazillion videos in a thread makes it load a hell of a lot slower.............LOL

uptight
11-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Okay, yes. A gazillion videos does make a thread load slower on some people's computers. Although I have a fast internet connection, I can see where scrolling past the big, chunky YouTube clips in a thread to get to the actual information can be a bit cumbersome for some folks. Too much of a good thing can be bad. What was recently a cool feature on SDF can turn out to be irritating of abused.

I generally don't mind it and can ignore irrelevant postings.

144man
11-03-2010, 11:31 AM
It's a nine day wonder. The novelty of posting links to YouTube will soon wear off. I approve of the motive for doing this, namely to make the forum more balanced.

tomato tom
11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Can I just say, the youtube links have been a boon to me, seeing all these great artists, or hearing them. I have heard tracks, seen great performances I would NEVER have seen. HOWEVER, saying that, I do agree that the plot has been lost, so to speak, when, yes, we should be discussing the MUSIC, the ARTISTS and so on. The good thing is, we can discuss this like sensible adults. You are not forced to follow links. You dont even have to read the relevant topic. Just go with the flow. If a topic attracts you..go. If it dont, leave it alone. If you post a thread about and artist, song, whatever, GREAT. I have learned, and enjoyed SO MUCH from my fellows here. May it continue. And YES, A seperate thread for all SUPREME beings would be nice....lol..PAULO XXXX

tamla617
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
i think it would be beter to just post the youtube links.but it wouldnt be the end of the world if it stayed as it is.just try and control the amount each of us posts,i aint one...........i dont know how to do it!

the supremes forum.i get the impression those who eat each other on the subject would feel like they're being deported.which is not true. they are,and we know they are,far too touchy.

splanky
11-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I really don't get the aversion to posted links from youtube, dailymotion or anywhere else. When 2 or more people want to
talk about a song, compare songs or artists or introduce others to music they may not have heard it's quite logical to
post a link. Youtube is a tool to me and as long as I'm willing to pay the cost of owning and maintaining internet accessibility
I'm willing to use whatever tools I need to do whatever I'm able. If you don't want to watch a video don't watch it. There are thousands of songs on youtube I like to listen to even if the footage is just a record cover because much of it is available virtually no place else for public listening. The Joytones This Love I'm Giving You doesn't get any play on commercial radio today, not even oldies stations like WCBS, for example. A lot of classic soul, early R&B and black jazz is out of print , not on itunes and may never see a cd or mp3 release but if someone has put it up on youtube I can listen to it
while I wash my dishes or mop my floor as if I had it in my own record collection. The genie is out of the bottle, folks, and I'm not trying to put it back...please....

soulster
11-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm not against YouTube. I guess it's that when people post the vids here, they don't really discuss the music. And, for me, they're annoying to scroll past.

I have posted at least one song on YouTube, and it was a fluke that it worked. I can't seem to make the site accept the full length of a clip.

splanky
11-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Soulster, youtube and sights like it are primarily for viewing and listening, they're not forums, per se but it all really depends
on which videos and how much the posters and those that view and/or listen to them know about the music. Some videos
will only get a few comments and others many more as you can see...

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments=1&v=p_ywkpVJ624

Obviously there is some discussion going on....

paladin
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Youtube is a tool to me and as long as I'm willing to pay the cost of owning and maintaining internet accessibility
I'm willing to use whatever tools I need to do whatever I'm able. If you don't want to watch a video don't watch it. There are thousands of songs on youtube I like to listen to even if the footage is just a record cover because much of it is available virtually no place else for public listening. The Joytones This Love I'm Giving You doesn't get any play on commercial radio

So true Splanky, the advantage that we have is we are a "forum" and can engage in lengthy formal/informal discussions about the music, video's, producers, writers etc. You cant do that on you tube and in many cases fans on you tube get into very nasty public commentary which is not regulated and it becomes difficult to read because it conveys absolutely nothing about the artists or the video . The Supreme threads often remind me of the "You Tube crazies" therefore I don't participate by routinely ignoring them. By the way This Love, is a Chicago Staple, thats heard regualry on the Herb Kent Show and at literally all the Stepper Sets. Its a great song.......and yes by God, you're right the internet is not free.........:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Kdub

jobeterob
11-07-2010, 03:11 PM
The Supremes threads remind you of YouTube crazies because some of the same SD posters have a variety of Youtube names ~ there are people here who can give you the list; Youtube does kick people off because some of the SD posters have gotten the boot from Youtube and had to get new names so they could continue to entertain the world [[smile).

If SD becomes a Youtube posting forum for a while, it isn't the end of the world. It won't last; or has it already died?

Remember when we had the mass "favorite song" threads?

midnightman
11-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Lol people get into nasty debates here too. Just saying. ;)

midnightman
11-07-2010, 03:37 PM
The Supremes threads remind you of YouTube crazies because some of the same SD posters have a variety of Youtube names ~ there are people here who can give you the list; Youtube does kick people off because some of the SD posters have gotten the boot from Youtube and had to get new names so they could continue to entertain the world [[smile).

If SD becomes a Youtube posting forum for a while, it isn't the end of the world. It won't last; or has it already died?

Remember when we had the mass "favorite song" threads?

It'll get picked up, if not by me or copley, then someone else. I've tried to do different topics but some of y'all who complain don't enter. Not a major problem with me but just stating the obvious. ;)

grapevine
11-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I agree with Paul Nixon and wonder if it would be better to have a seperate section on SDF for people to post up their youtube clips, and thus leave these forums for people to discuss Motown & much more!

moprh

...well morph ...we do have such a place on SDF ...where I've been posting up to 20 youtubes ...daily...!!!

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?43-The-SOULFUL-DETROIT-JUKEBOX

...I've even include The Supremes ...every now and then...!

:)

jobeterob
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Good one Grape. Funny how we use SD for different purposes and are not always sure what is going on in a different area.

marxthespot
11-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Well, it is up each one of us to start topics on the things we like to discuss. If you want more music discussions - then start one or two!!

There is so much whining and complaining about "we don't like this", we don't like that", "separate section for this", "separate section for that"......

This is a community message board, not a private country club!!

midnightman
11-08-2010, 01:39 AM
...well morph ...we do have such a place on SDF ...where I've been posting up to 20 youtubes ...daily...!!!

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?43-The-SOULFUL-DETROIT-JUKEBOX

...I've even included The Supremes ...every now and then...!

:)

Ugh how in the eff did I miss that?! I'm gonna BOOKMARK IT!

tamla617
11-09-2010, 03:30 PM
nothing wrong with complaining........as long as its constructive.but not change for the sake of change.

Motown_M_1056
11-14-2010, 07:10 PM

There are a few forum members, who shall remain nameless, who do go overboard with the YouTube links. They can't make a point without suggesting that we take time away from reading threads and navigating around the forum to listen to some tinny sound sample of a song they like or watch some damned video that I've already seen before. It's irritating, so much so, I've put these people on my ignore list because I know they can't respond to a thread without throwing in a YouTube reference.
These YouTube links can cause havoc on my work computer; They slow it down; Drain my memory and cause other problems. I'd like to strangle some of the culprits.
There's a thread on the main floor that's full of YouTube links. I wish some people would get back to writing, describing why they like something , rather than referring me to YouTube.

vcq
11-14-2010, 07:28 PM
I have a friendly little suggestion...I've been known to *occasionally* insert a YouTube link if it's an obscure piece that's difficult to find, but I find it much less irritating when you link text [[example: Isley Brothers: My Love Is Your Love [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kcYgDdcW-I)) rather than embedding videos. The link will open in a separate window, allowing users to keep reading the thread they're on while listening to Motown gems. If your tag is descriptive, that way forum members know what the link is and can click to view if they wish without slowing down everyone's connection with umpteen embedded videos.

To hyperlink text:
1. Copy the YouTube URL that you want to embed.
2. Compose your post on Soulful Detroit. Click on the "Insert Link" icon [[the globe with chain) and paste the URL. Give the tag a descriptive name [[Artist: Song Title) so people know what it is they're linking to.
3. Preview your post to make sure that the link displays correctly [[as short text and not a long URL).
4. Listen for the collective sigh of relief as hundreds of users can load a full page in record time!

jillfoster
11-14-2010, 07:55 PM
There are a few forum members, who shall remain nameless, who do go overboard with the YouTube links. They can't make a point without suggesting that we take time away from reading threads and navigating around the forum to listen to some tinny sound sample of a song they like or watch some damned video that I've already seen before. It's irritating, so much so, I've put these people on my ignore list because I know they can't respond to a thread without throwing in a YouTube reference.

These YouTube links can cause havoc on my work computer; They slow it down; Drain my memory and cause other problems. I'd like to strangle some of the culprits.
There's a thread on the main floor that's full of YouTube links. I wish some people would get back to writing, describing why they like something , rather than referring me to YouTube.

Then perhaps you should consider using your work computer for WORK. I'm a member of several message boards, music and non music related, and this is the first time I've EVER heard complaints about embedded youtube videos. I mean, if they didn't pertain to the conversation, i'd understand that.. but they always do, as far as I can see.

smark21
11-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Then you better not do anything at work to make your bosses want to fire you, because if they decide they no longer want you around, they will look at your work computer internet usage and notice you're on the internet at a music forum making posts and playing videos when you should be working and they'll use it as a documented cause to let you go.

Motown_M_1056
11-15-2010, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=smark21;19126]Then you better not do anything at work to make your bosses want to fire you, because if they decide they no longer want you around, they will look at your work computer internet usage and notice you're on the internet at a music forum making posts and playing videos when you should be working and they'll use it as a documented cause to let you go.[/QUOTE[

One of the benefits of owning a business is that I can do exactly as I please. I don't have to worry about someone else checking my work computer to see what I'm doing. Who's gonna let me go? Me? Not hardly. I AM THE BOSS!
It is a pain and costly constantly relying on my computer techs to make things right again because of errors and other problems caused by YouTube links.
Thank you very much.

copley
11-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I love posts with music links as sometimes it may be the 1st occasion that I have ever heard the song or seem the video. SDF is a music forum and videos are a part of the discussion.

soulster
11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Then perhaps you should consider using your work computer for WORK. I'm a member of several message boards, music and non music related, and this is the first time I've EVER heard complaints about embedded youtube videos. I mean, if they didn't pertain to the conversation, i'd understand that.. but they always do, as far as I can see.

Then you'd better go back and read the entire thread, because I have the same complaints as Motown_M-1056. But, I don't surf the internet on a work computer. I want discussion, not a bunch of gratuitous YouTube vids with no explanation.

I understand it's a new novelty to some people, but i've been on message boards for over a decade, and having constant links to stuff is annoying.

Now, I started two threads with AUDIO links of songs to discuss. Neither one of them got any responses whatsoever. I finally removed the sound sources. But, if they had been video links, i'll bet they would be sizable threads. Why? It seems that, despite this being a forum about MUSIC, most of our active readers are visually oriented. I blame MTV and the dominance of home video for this. I remember the days when people didn't need no stinkin' visuals to understand music.

Then you better not do anything at work to make your bosses want to fire you, because if they decide they no longer want you around, they will look at your work computer internet usage and notice you're on the internet at a music forum making posts and playing videos when you should be working and they'll use it as a documented cause to let you go.

Consider that the person my have his/her own business and can do whatever on their work computer.

I love posts with music links as sometimes it may be the 1st occasion that I have ever heard the song or seem the video. SDF is a music forum and videos are a part of the discussion.

How about AUDIO-omly links?

Motown_M_1056
11-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Them you'd better go back and read the entire thread, because I have the same complaints as Motown_M-1056. But, I don't surf the internet on a work computer. I want discussion, not a bunch of gratuitous YouTube vids with no explanation.

I understand it's a new novelty to some people, but i've been on message boards for over a decade, and having constant links to stuff is annoying.

Now, I started two threads with AUDIO links of songs to discuss. Neither one of them got any responses whatsoever. I finally removed the sound sources. But, if they had been video links, i'll bet they would be sizable threads. Why? It seems that, despite this being a forum about MUSIC, most of our active readers are visually oriented. I blame MTV and the dominance of home video for this. I remember the days when people didn't need no stinkin' visuals to understand music.

Consider that the person my have his/her own business and can do whatever on their work computer.

How about AUDIO-omly links?

Thanks Soulster, very well put. Audio-only links would be cool or references to where members can find the CD or album on Amazon.com. We should be discussing music more, expressing why we like something. Instead we get too many posts that say: "This is a cool record..." followed by a YouTube link.
usually ask: "OK, But why do you like it? and "Why do I need to see a video on Vicki Carr or the Cowsills on Soulful Detroit?"

My work computer is for that purpose: WORK. It doesn't have FLASH and other bells & whistles for game playing and video & movie watching. It has the internet because I need to check stocks, weather conditions, etc.

smark21
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks Soulster, very well put. Audio-only links would be cool or references to where members can find the CD or album on Amazon.com. We should be discussing music more, expressing why we like something. Instead we get too many posts that say: "This is a cool record..." followed by a YouTube link.
usually ask: "OK, But why do you like it? and "Why do I need to see a video on Vicki Carr or the Cowsills on Soulful Detroit?"

My work computer is for that purpose: WORK. It doesn't have FLASH and other bells & whistles for game playing and video & movie watching. It has the internet because I need to check stocks, weather conditions, etc.

Wow--your business must be doing poorly if you can't afford to buy better computers for yourself and your employees. Hopefully the economy will improve and things will get better for you. Though you may want to consider investing in upgrading your technology or your business may be left in the dust. As it stands right now [[I'm only speculating as I don't know what field you're in), you may very well not be securing clients because your tech is behind the times.

smark21
11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=smark21;19179]

You know what they say about assuming things you don't know. You basically make an ASS out of you, yourself and you too. LOL I see I have another ass for my ignore list. BOOP!

Oh boo hoo hoo...I'm on your ignore list! And honey, I might have made some presumptions, but you're the one who pretty much admitted that your computers at work are behind the times and that you have plenty of spare time at your business to post here at SDF during business hours. This forum was finally upgraded to allow for posting of embedded links. Perhaps Ralph should set up a low tech sub-forum here for people like yourself whose technology is obsolete. The only thing permissible at the low tech forum would be typing messages...no links, no pics, no sound, no embedded youtube. We could call it the Dinosaur room.

soulster
11-15-2010, 12:13 PM
You Tube vids do not tax my computer. I've got good broadband, a powerful processor, plenty of memory, use Chrome and Firefox, and good security. My complaint is that people post vids with no context or opinion. And they do clutter up the screen and distract from discussion.

It is a waste of my time when a whole thread is started with only a video as the first post. There is usually no indication of this in the thread title. Granted, I started my audio threads in the same way, but I also intended for there to be some discussion about the song. Videos seem to somehow remove the need for much musical. Sometimes, the thread turns into a discussion about the visual aspects, or what someone was wearing, what concert venue it was, ect. I guess the difference with me is that i'm old school. When it comes to music, I don't need to SEE it to enjoy it.

Again, I am not anti-video or anti-YouTube. I have posted one or two here to make points or to show examples when no other means were available. I do prefer those YouTube vids that do not have any active vids with the music, maybe just a photo of an album cover, record label, or printed words is good for me. That way, I concentrate on the music.

Motown_M_1056
11-15-2010, 12:26 PM
You Tube vids do not tax my computer. I've got good broadband, a powerful processor, plenty of memory, use Chrome and Firefox, and good security. My complaint is that people post vids with no context or opinion. And they do clutter up the screen and distract from discussion.

It is a waste of my time when a whole thread is started with only a video as the first post. There is usually no indication of this in the thread title. Granted, I started my audio threads in the same way, but I also intended for there to be some discussion about the song. Videos seem to somehow remove the need for much musical. Sometimes, the thread turns into a discussion about the visual aspects, or what someone was wearing, what concert venue it was, ect. I guess the difference with me is that i'm old school. When it comes to music, I don't need to SEE it to enjoy it.

Again, I am not anti-video or anti-YouTube. I have posted one or two here to make points or to show examples when no other means were available. I do prefer those YouTube vids that do not have any active vids with the music, maybe just a photo of an album cover, record label, or printed words is good for me. That way, I concentrate on the music.

Soulster, don't bother defending or explaining what you have technology wise) to some people. I understood your view, particularly the part about not having to see some video to enjoy the music.

Notice the ones who responded to our posts; the ones smarting off at their keyboards - are the ones most guilty of the offense.

I'm amazed they didn't throw in another YouTube link to help them make their point or express themselves like they always do.

soulster
11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I just remember when this forum started and there were a lot of people saying how immature using the ignore feature is, yet all sorts of people are using it.

Motown_M_1056
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
I just remember when this forum started and there were a lot of people saying how immature using the ignore feature is, yet all sorts of people are using it.

I know I am. There are just some people that I don't need to hear from ever in life. Isn't Democracy cool? Another nice thing about the ignore feature is that it works both ways or for everybody. Using it makes your time on the forum a lot more pleasant.

soulster
11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I have three people blocked. Too bad we can't remove the annoying reminder that someone is blocked. Some forums completely and totally remove the existience of an ignored member. It's so cool! Even their profile and quotes from others disappear.

jillfoster
11-15-2010, 01:27 PM

I understand what your'e saying, soulster... but I tend to always have accompanying comments with mine. I use it for demonstration purposes. I understand your issue with threads started with embedded youtube and no accompanying type. I've never done that, to be sure. This next part is not directed at you, soulster... as far as me posting a Cowsill's video, it was in a thread I started about teen artists with voices beyond their years.. and most the videos I posted in that thread were unique TV appearances, not just the record posted over generic crap. And in the case of the Cowsills video, a song performed on Barbara McNair's show, and never appearing on record. And I did an audio link only to Vikki Carr, not a youtube video, to compare her and the Surpemes version of "I Keep It Hid". In a thread about Motown covers, that link would be interesting to some, because that SAME album also has a cover of "Ain't No Mountain high Enough". This has always been a music forum, and all genres are discussed, and YES... sometimes non-soul artists cover songs made popular by soul artists. And "I Keep It Hid" Isn't soul music anyway... it was a pop ballad written by Jimmy Webb. Are we supposed to not discuss that, either? If you don't have something as simple as a flash player on your computer... something that the front page of many regular websites use... I don't know what to tell you.

Motown_M_1056
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I have three people blocked. Too bad we can't remove the annoying reminder that someone is blocked. Some forums completely and totally remove the existience of an ignored member. It's so cool! Even their profile and quotes from others disappear.

That would be cool, total elimination forever. Like I said, ignore works both ways. I don't get how some people see your user name beside a thread and they know they don't agree with anything you have to say, but they open the thread and post a dumb comment behind you anyway.
If I get on your nerves that much, ignore me, put me on your ignore list and.don't follow me around on the forum.

But if they didn't follow me or be so interested in me and what I've said, they'd have absolutely nothing to say or to contribute

jobeterob
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM
One day I will decide to fire me from my job for looking in at SD during my breaks; sometimes a secretary comes in and looks knowingly over her glasses at me. I have heard a story of an accountant looking at porn on his computer when an articled student walked in ~ the guy says "Whew, lucky it was only you.............to the student."

jillfoster
11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
haha, Rob... the thing is, nearly every modern message board on the net is equipped with the the youtube embed function. If it's something that should never be used, why do nearly all message boards have it? Now, a recipe forum wouldn't use youtube nearly as much as a music forum would, I'd think it depends on the nature of your forum, and what you discuss. That's why I think soulster's assertions are reasonable, while Motown_M_1056's are not. I think using youtube videos for demnstration purposes, and ALWAYS with some accompanying comment is reasonable. But bringing the entire forum back into the stone ages because you refuse to have flash player on your computer is patently ridiculous.

soulster
11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
That would be cool, total elimination forever. Like I said, ignore works both ways. I don't get how some people see your user name beside a thread and they know they don't agree with anything you have to say, but they open the thread and post a dumb comment behind you anyway.
If I get on your nerves that much, ignore me, put me on your ignore list and.don't follow me around on the forum.

Oh, no, you're cool with me!

Motown_M_1056
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh, no, you're cool with me!

As you are with me, Soulster. And no way was I referring to You or Grapevine, who has a thread of YouTube items. I know you guys are passionate about music and like discussing it and can describe or explain why you dislike or like something without a YouTube video.
No way was I saying ban all YouTube links, but many times they aren't really needed because most of us have vast music libraries and we know who some artist is and what they've recorded. We don't need the video reenforcement.

jillfoster
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM

But if they didn't follow me or be so interested in me and what I've said, they'd have absolutely nothing to say or to contribute

Just because two posters are always interested in Supremes threads, that certainly does not mean that one is following the other. As a Matter of fact, acting like it's a problem is simply one person's feeble attempt to eliminate anyone else challenging them on their BS by keeping them out of the threads they post in. Your'e not fooling anybody here. Nobody is following you, just like Marv and Topdiva aren't following me because we have the same intrests and post in the same threads. And any of these same people you claim "follow" you post in other threads you never look at...and you don't know this because well... you never look at them. And for the record, if embedded youtube is loading too slowly for anyone, all you have to do is hit the red X at the top of your browser, which stops loading the page. All the text in the posts will load, and the embedded youtube will just be little red X's.

marxthespot
11-17-2010, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE=smark21;19126]Then you better not do anything at work to make your bosses want to fire you, because if they decide they no longer want you around, they will look at your work computer internet usage and notice you're on the internet at a music forum making posts and playing videos when you should be working and they'll use it as a documented cause to let you go.[/QUOTE[

One of the benefits of owning a business is that I can do exactly as I please. I don't have to worry about someone else checking my work computer to see what I'm doing. Who's gonna let me go? Me? Not hardly. I AM THE BOSS!
It is a pain and costly constantly relying on my computer techs to make things right again because of errors and other problems caused by YouTube links.
Thank you very much.

Maybe the computer techs should be the ones running the business....:p

Kamasu_Jr
11-17-2010, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Motown_M_1056;19167]

Maybe the computer techs should be the ones running the business....:p

Why are people still commenting on something that doesn't effect them? Motown_M_1056 made his point days ago and moved on. Seems he was also right about some people following him around on the forum. Some nosey people need to spend more time in their own business than they do meddling in somebody else's.

tamla617
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
if someone checked?cause for sacking?
are we still talking about youtube vids on sdf?
not sure how many people can stand a good checking/100%.thats perfection [[no chance) the words cast,1st and stone spring to mind

marybrewster
11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
It's getting out of hand.

robbert
11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Why are The S... dragged into this thread, too?

In the discussion about Don't Mess With Bill and about The Marvelettes/Wanda Rogers and Ian Levine, I threw in a YouTube vid of that song with better sound and pic quality than the one the original poster used. Simple as that... sometimes you can enhance the quality of a discussion with an appropriate piece of music, snippet or more.
I don't see any harm in the occasional YouTube vid, or an URL to it [[that's what I mostly use).
Occiasionally...