PDA

View Full Version : MARVIN GAYE - Anger [[1978)

test

marv2
04-25-2014, 11:38 AM
This sometimes underappreciated gem is Marvin at his best in my opinion. It became a favorite of mine from the too underappreciated album "Hear My Dear" [[although I am sure Anna appreciated it.......LOL!) "Anger" was a masterwork the more and more I listen to it now. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXeucFePks0&list=FLjGjyr0mwvWbL_riGlN0Tdw

midnightman
04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Yw3FMYH2Q

marv2
04-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Ohhhhh......I'm liking this version Midnightman! Thank you! It kills me when Marvin sings in his falsetto voice. It was just so cool, so talented that most of what he did in this period seemed so effortless. I like the percussion on this remix a lot. He re-recorded the vocals here it's obvious.

marv2
04-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Here's what Wiki says about the song.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger_[[song)

soulster
04-25-2014, 01:43 PM
I can't agree with your assessment of the song "Anger", but that is one bizarre album! You gotta love that first track. I'm sure it raised more than a few eyebrows when they first dropped the needle on it. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Marvin played it back for Berry and Anna, knowing Berry had to release it.

"Here, My Dear", has got to be one of the best albums of his career.

marv2
04-25-2014, 04:21 PM
I can't agree with your assessment of the song "Anger", but that is one bizarre album! You gotta love that first track. I'm sure it raised more than a few eyebrows when they first dropped the needle on it. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Marvin played it back for Berry and Anna, knowing Berry had to release it.

"Here, My Dear", has got to be one of the best albums of his career.

I bought the album around December of 1978. Back in those days I was buying a lot of albums. It was Marvin's lastest and he was a favorite of mine, so I did it routinely. It was a very heavy album and at my age then, I did not listen to it save for a few cuts like Anger and Funky Space Reincarnation. Now years later, I listen and like the whole album because it makes sense to me now. I am VERY certain that Berry and Anna both had huge problems with it. It was like Marvin was thumbing his nose at them and saying, you want the money, honey........well then, "Hear My Dear" ! LOL!!!! He was a baaaddd boy!

Lulu
04-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Great album - probably my favorite of his later 70s material.

midnightman
04-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Ohhhhh......I'm liking this version Midnightman! Thank you! It kills me when Marvin sings in his falsetto voice. It was just so cool, so talented that most of what he did in this period seemed so effortless. I like the percussion on this remix a lot. He re-recorded the vocals here it's obvious.

No prob, man. But yeah he re-recorded the vocals on a number of the songs on Here, My Dear, which allowed people to get creative with the remixing. Great album.

marv2
04-25-2014, 08:33 PM
No prob, man. But yeah he re-recorded the vocals on a number of the songs on Here, My Dear, which allowed people to get creative with the remixing. Great album.

Was this remix ever released commercially?

soulster
04-25-2014, 09:02 PM
I bought the album around December of 1978. Back in those days I was buying a lot of albums. It was Marvin's lastest and he was a favorite of mine, so I did it routinely. It was a very heavy album and at my age then, I did not listen to it save for a few cuts like Anger and Funky Space Reincarnation. Now years later, I listen and like the whole album because it makes sense to me now. I am VERY certain that Berry and Anna both had huge problems with it. It was like Marvin was thumbing his nose at them and saying, you want the money, honey........well then, "Hear My Dear" ! LOL!!!! He was a baaaddd boy!
Well, he knew exactly what he was doing. He used it to settle up his debt...then used the very first track to directly accuse Anna of using their son as a pawn in the divorce. Talk about airing dirty laundry! I could just see everyone at the table during the meeting of the tape playback whispering "Oh Shit!", and Marvin glaring at them with a smirk on his face.

marv2
04-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Well, he knew exactly what he was doing. He used it to settle up his debt...then used the very first track to directly accuse Anna of using their son as a pawn in the divorce. Talk about airing dirty laundry! I could just see everyone at the table during the meeting of the tape playback whispering "Oh Shit!", and Marvin glaring at them with a smirk on his face.

He was the equivalent of a musical sorcerer, hehehehehehe! He was as profound as he could be profane! A true genious in my opinion. We'll never see another like him.

midnightman
04-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Was this remix ever released commercially?

No it was put on the album's deluxe edition.

marv2
04-26-2014, 01:29 PM
No it was put on the album's deluxe edition.

Rarely do I buy copies of albums that I already own, but I gotta get it! Thanks Midnightman.

splanky
04-26-2014, 04:21 PM
In the course of household chores I revisited my copy of Here,My Dear today and even though my feelings about the album haven't changed much I glad it was brought up today.
Anger was never my favorite song off of this release. Sappy as it sounds, I Met A Little Girl
and Everybody Needs Love were the stellar tracks to me and the grooves for me were Is That
Enough and You Can Leave But It's Going To Cost You. Marvin, it seemed to me always created his work from varying perspectives. With What's Goin On he worked primarily
from his soul. With Let's Get It On from his dick. With his Trouble Man from his head and
with Here...from his emotions, including his own anger, and his heart. I Want You kinda
blends the crotch and cranium since he had scored his Jan. I like that alternate version of
Anger better than the first and just learned today that there's a deluxe of the album.
O well, there goes my budget again:)....

marv2
04-26-2014, 04:28 PM
In the course of household chores I revisited my copy of Here,My Dear today and even though my feelings about the album haven't changed much I glad it was brought up today.
Anger was never my favorite song off of this release. Sappy as it sounds, I Met A Little Girl
and Everybody Needs Love were the stellar tracks to me and the grooves for me were Is That
Enough and You Can Leave But It's Going To Cost You. Marvin, it seemed to me always created his work from varying perspectives. With What's Goin On he worked primarily
from his soul. With Let's Get It On from his dick. With his Trouble Man from his head and
with Here...from his emotions, including his own anger, and his heart. I Want You kinda
blends the crotch and cranium since he had scored his Jan. I like that alternate version of
Anger better than the first and just learned today that there's a deluxe of the album.
O well, there goes my budget again:)....

Great synopsis of Marvin's work Splanky! I want to discuss the "I Want You" album next. It is also a classic and one of my all time favorites though I can't explain why, just is.

marv2
04-29-2014, 04:30 PM

I am now remembering now there was a lot of controversy surrounding this album at the time with a lot of us going YIKES! We just couldn't believe he went there and in public like this! LOL!!!!

soulster
04-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, I wasn't into Marvin Gaye's music after 1977, so I didn't become familiar with "Here, My Dear" until 1995, when I got the CD. If there was any controversy about it, I never heard any. besides, when it came out, I was too busy with Chic, Rick James, and Foreigner.

marv2
04-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Well, I wasn't into Marvin Gaye's music after 1977, so I didn't become familiar with "Here, My Dear" until 1995, when I got the CD. If there was any controversy about it, I never heard any. besides, when it came out, I was too busy with Chic, Rick James, and Foreigner.

It was controversial with stories running in Jet Magazine mostly........ Everyone had concluded that Marvin had produced an album that wouldn't sell as a part of his divorce settlement with Anna so she would receive less that huge royalties from it.........LOL!

soulster
04-29-2014, 07:22 PM
It was controversial with stories running in Jet Magazine mostly........

I was a regular reader of Jet back them, much to the annoyance of a lot the White guys in high school.

marv2
04-29-2014, 07:29 PM
I was a regular reader of Jet back them, much to the annoyance of a lot the White guys in high school.

hehehehehehehehehehehe........

I was a regular reader of Jet Magazine even as kid in the sixties. It was the Bible of the Black Community. If it wasn't in Jet, then it wasn't true or didn't even happen!!LOL! Now, when I went out West to college, I couldn't find it anywhere near my campus so my brother Robert would collect 3-4 months of them at a time and mail them to me in Colorado.

midnightman
04-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Rarely do I buy copies of albums that I already own, but I gotta get it! Thanks Midnightman.

It should be on Amazon. I think they labeled it "expanded edition". Hopefully it's still in stock.