PDA

View Full Version : Oh My Stars! Another "Youngin'" Knows Who Diana Ross Is!

test

Lulu
04-21-2014, 02:14 PM
I stumbled across this "One Direction" teenage fan's post today [[albeit it's four years old...she's probably 17 now!) and it had me LOLing at the debacle on the other thread about how no one under 40 knows who Diana Ross is!

marv2
04-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Um, yeah.......nice try. But you're grasping like hell now! LOL! Having teenagers in 2014 knowing and excited about Diana Ross would be the equivalent of if I were pining for Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters in the late 70's in the midst of Disco, Funk and Rock! LOL!!!! You are so funny.......hehehehehehehehe......!

dinelle_watson
04-21-2014, 03:01 PM
It's surprising that there are so many young Motown fans[[I'm one of them), but it shocks the hell out of me when some of these guys don't even know who Marvin Gaye is, let alone Diana Ross. They've never even heard "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", "Sexual Healing", or "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin & Tammi. It's scary.

Lulu
04-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Um, yeah.......nice try. But you're grasping like hell now! LOL! Having teenagers in 2014 knowing and excited about Diana Ross would be the equivalent of if I were pining for Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters in the late 70's in the midst of Disco, Funk and Rock! LOL!!!! You are so funny.......hehehehehehehehe......!

I actually was listening to Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters in the late 70s - went to record stores in Baltimore and DC and picked up some nice sets. I was a teenager at the time and although I had known about them from my grandparents, we went to see An Evening With Diana Ross on Broadway and I wanted to learn more about them [[and Josephine Baker) after I saw the show. As usual, I have no idea why you continue to insist that your own opinions are facts. I found that posting - FACT. I told you my story - FACT. You told me yours - FACT. Why does your outlook trump or generalize any one else's experience? To me, it's just another attempt at throwing a dig at an artist you don't like for whatever reason. Again, I don't see the logic of adoring Mary Wilson and detesting Diana Ross. They were both Supremes and sang on the same records so I can only discern that you "delete" the lead vocals on 90% of releases before 1970 since you have such disdain for this woman.

Lulu
04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
It's surprising that there are so many young Motown fans[[I'm one of them), but it shocks the hell out of me when some of these guys don't even know who Marvin Gaye is, let alone Diana Ross. They've never even heard "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", "Sexual Healing", or "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin & Tammi. It's scary.

As I said before, there is a healthy group of folks over on Diana Ross: The Ultimate Fans [[Facebook/Yahoo!) who are younger than 25 - some as young as 14. I think it's just a matter of taste. Kids are going to like and pick up on whatever they want. I loved old movies when I was a kid. So did a lot of other kids. To say that you'd be hard pressed to find any kids who knew what "Gone With The Wind" or "It Happened One Night" were in 1979 would again, just be generalizing based on your own experiences. We had movie nights and neighborhood fan clubs! We loved "Star Wars" but also adored Errol Flynn and Valentino!

marv2
04-21-2014, 03:27 PM

Now I too would be surprised if they did not know who Marvin Gaye was or say Stevie. They'd heard of the Supremes from the connection to Dreamgirls, but not so much who was who. I had a kid on Youtube some years back ask me "so who replaced Effie in the Supremes"? LOL!!!!!

marv2
04-21-2014, 03:29 PM
As I said before, there is a healthy group of folks over on Diana Ross: The Ultimate Fans [[Facebook/Yahoo!) who are younger than 25 - some as young as 14. I think it's just a matter of taste. Kids are going to like and pick up on whatever they want. I loved old movies when I was a kid. So did a lot of other kids. To say that you'd be hard pressed to find any kids who knew what "Gone With The Wind" or "It Happened One Night" were in 1979 would again, just be generalizing based on your own experiences. We had movie nights and neighborhood fan clubs! We loved "Star Wars" but also adored Errol Flynn and Valentino!

I only lived in major cities, large urban centers so i know young people in the late 70's were just not into movies from the 30's and 40's just as kids today are not into singers from 40 years ago.......

There are kids on Long Island that did not know who Paul McCartney was after the 2012 Grammys. The stated that on WBAB radio a popular station on LI.

Lulu
04-21-2014, 03:33 PM
I only lived in major cities, large urban centers so i know young people in the late 70's were just not into movies from the 30's and 40's just as kids today are not into singers from 40 years ago.......

Well, I've only lived in four places and all were cities and that's how my friends and I were back then and I think kids are today, at least from my experiences with teaching and volunteering with teenagers in the arts and theatre. A lot of the more "artsy" young folk in New York seem to have more reverence for the Judys, Barbras, Chers, Dianas than the Gagas, Katys, and Britneys but I suppose their in the minority over all, which is why they tend to find each other! Now, if you're talking some way rural area in BFE, I'm sure those kids don't know nothin' about no Supremes!!!

BigAl
04-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Since the advent of recorded media, an appreciation of popular culture, especially the performing arts, is irrespective of age. Granted, most people will be most familiar with the music and arts of their own era, but this doesn't mean people need be oblivious to what came before. Today's music is predicated on yesterday's. I have seen four-year-olds dancing to '60s Hitsville and loving it. Those who limit themselves to one era, to one genre, etc. are missing so much.