PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross / That's What Friends Are For : 1987

test

marybrewster
04-10-2014, 09:31 PM
For as long as I've been an SDF member, I don't know that I've ever seen this discussed; Diana Ross assembling an all-star cast in a "That's What Friends Are For" sing-along. A little research says this was 1987.

It's really cool to watch; hundreds of stars fill the stage: Dionne and Gladys are there, Janet Jackson and Whitney and Cissy are there, Patti LaBelle and Ronnie Spector and Gloria Estefan are there.....the list goes on and on.....and then at 5: 20.....there's Mary Wilson!

Huh? Diana and Mary on the same stage in 1987? If you haven't seen it for yourself, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PtVgFhHBM

And please: can we keep this thread clean and civil?

supremester
04-10-2014, 09:54 PM
The vocals on that record - each unique - are sublime. Gladys blows me away on it every single time. It's nice to see Whitney & Cissy looking so fresh and happy. I can't see where on stage Mary was - maybe she was one of the celebs Miss Ross was beckoning. I wish it was planned better so that the 4 of them were there to sing it. It seems as if they weren't expecting Dionne & Gladys to join in cuz why would they need to be asked?

jobeterob
04-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Awesome clip. Thanks.

smark21
04-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Diana Ross didn't assemble this, it was Dick Clark. This was the finale for the American Music Awards which Ross hosted. Good cause, cheesy song. Really cheesy song.

marybrewster
04-11-2014, 08:36 AM
I don't see Dick Clark on stage calling out for Madonna.

Geez; potayto, potahto around here.