PDA

View Full Version : Current and Upcoming Releases

test

longtimefan
04-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Now it seems that many Motown releases will be in download format only. Therefore, going to the HipO website to learn about upcoming releases is no longer pertinent. Where does a fan go to this point to find out what upcoming releases from Motown are scheduled?

As example, where were the recent downloads from Tata Vaga advertised? I really don't know where to look at this point to find out what's coming or newly released from Motown.

Even many smaller music companies like Ace, SoulMusic, etc., have user friendly webpages where they list current and upcoming releases.

whitesoxx
04-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Some of the Hip-O releases may not have sold that well but at this rate I think the download-only albums are going to sell even less.

They are better off licensing the albums to small labels that do still see a market for physical cd's. And that market still exists, especially considering that Motown product will appeal to an older demographic as well as collectors that still want their physical product.

Lulu
04-08-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm just happy we're getting the music period. The sound quality will likely be better than any LP rip you've had and I'd rather buy the releases and support the artist than troll the internet looking for files [[not accusing anyone of that, but it does happen). Personally, I missed out on the David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks sets and didn't want to fork over the $800 it could have cost me when I was able to download them for about 1/16 the cost. Apples to oranges I guess.

longtimefan
04-08-2014, 04:13 PM
But my posting is in regards to announcements of current and upcoming releases, not about the merits of CDs vs. downloads. We once knew where upcoming and recently released CDs were listed. Where will upcoming downloads be "advertised / listed?"

Lulu
04-08-2014, 04:19 PM
But my posting is in regards to announcements of current and upcoming releases, not about the merits of CDs vs. downloads. We once knew where upcoming and recently released CDs were listed. Where will upcoming downloads be "advertised / listed?"

That too. I know iTunes typically permits a "pre-order" for upcoming releases. This is usually for new releases vs. new catalogue releases however, I THINK you were able to download "What a Difference a Day Makes" and pre-order the entire album before Blue​ came out back in '06. Correct me if I'm wrong.

144man
04-08-2014, 04:52 PM
So how do we find out when downloads are going to become available?

1382hitsville
04-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Twitter and the classic Motown website could/ should be used for that.
https://twitter.com/ClassicMotown

http://classic.motown.com
[[latest news from October 15th 2013?)

longtimefan
04-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks tonthose above who offered input above.

BUT, my question remains: How do we know when downloads are pending or have recently been released? None of these sites suggested have any posting, as example, of the Tata Vega or "Motown Unreleased 1962/63" downloads.

We will see what happens when "Funny Girl" is released! :-) By the way, everyone is not on Twitter "if" that is the plan.

It seems to me that there is no effort currently being put in to promoting downloads. For fans here on SDF as well of others who also purchase this music, it seems to me that a website should be readily available, regularly updated, and user friendly. Isn't this a needed aspect of any business plan, a. k.a., "advertisement?"

Thank goodness for SDF.