PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves performing at Night of 1000 Gowns last Saturday in NYC

test

smark21
04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVxM77huLQc

franjoy56
04-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Martha looked fabulous her singing was not the worst but acceptable, she listcweight and g gown complimented her. Roberta where are u.

supremester
04-03-2014, 10:45 PM
There is nothing like Martha Reeves live. Thank you very, very, VERY much for sharing this.

Roberta75
04-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Martha looked fabulous her singing was not the worst but acceptable, she listcweight and g gown complimented her. Roberta where are u.

Im herre dear Frances and the First Lady of Motown Record looks and sound fabulous i love love love Dr martha Reeves.

Thank you smarks and Frances.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

jobeterob
04-04-2014, 02:13 AM
I'm sorry Roberta but I just wish she'd rest on her laurels and let the singing go. I think Mary Wilson is significantly better than this and if Diana Ross gets to this stage, her good bookings will be gone and I would really want her to pack it in.

thisoldheart
04-04-2014, 02:54 AM
oh, ms. reeves ... when beverly sills, the opera singer's vibrato went out of control sills retired. you were one of motown's most amazing singers. you have a body of great work. take a break, retire. we all still love you!

LuvHangOva
04-04-2014, 03:51 AM
If only Miss Reeves could manage to stay in her lower register, where she sings for 3/4 of this performance t'would be a far far far better thing. When she ventures out into other territory, like to hit the high notes in the word "Heatwave" it is perhaps not the best choice. Not quite sure what to think of the gentlemen providing her background choreography, so I won't .

marybrewster
04-04-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Martha looked good and sounded good.

The woman is in her 70's. I think it speaks volumes that she's still getting bookings, and the audience always looks like they're having a good time. I know when I saw her a year or so ago, she had everyone on their feet.

I applaud Martha for going out there and doing what she loves. She is a treasure.

BigAl
04-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Bless her heart, Martha LIVES to perform and it shows. She gives every performance 100 percent and we love her for it. Entertainers are hard-wired differently from the rest of us and they absolutely require the love that comes across the footlights from their audiences, which is why so many of them continue to perform well past their prime, whether they need the money or not, and they should be applauded, not criticized for, it. Sadly for Martha, she doesn't make the appropriate alterations to her material to align with where her voice is now. Most singers, as they get older, will do that. Martha can belt with the best of them but it's difficult to hear her straining for those top notes and trying to deflect attention from that with the strange vibrato she developed in the '80s. I look to Darlene Love as an example of how to adapt older material to the mature vocal cords. She pitches her old songs down by as much as half an octave [[or even a bit lower, sometimes) in order to avoid straining for and/or missing those 1963 top notes. Martha would do well to try that.

supremester
04-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Dionne has reworked her songs beautifully - I think Burt must have done them - except, I have been told that even the new arrangement of Alfie no longer works and she talks it. Her attitude on stage has not, however, been reworked.

Martha will always be the woman who sang Nowhere To Run, I Should Be Proud, Many Rivers To Cross and Black Magic. I will always go see her. She does make some unusual sounds, but her ability as a total performer has grown immeasurably over the years. The people who have made me happy for five decades will always have my support if they choose to perform.

Roberta75
04-04-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Martha looked good and sounded good.

The woman is in her 70's. I think it speaks volumes that she's still getting bookings, and the audience always looks like they're having a good time. I know when I saw her a year or so ago, she had everyone on their feet.

I applaud Martha for going out there and doing what she loves. She is a treasure.

Then im real p[roud and happy to stand in the minority with you marybrewsterr because i think the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha reeves sound and look great in this clip. i love the blue dress and her dance step at the beginnings real cute and hip. That was one stuffy audiece but dr Reeves showed what true proffessional she is and kept on giving her usual 200%. God bless Miss Martha Reeves.

Fondly,

Roberta

LuvHangOva
04-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I relate to and applaud Miss Reeves for staying true to what she obviously is convinced she was meant to do.... and that is perform. I have been a performer my entire life... in various media. With age, growth and maturity some modifications have been made but to the end I WILL be a performer... because its just "me" as it apparently is for Miss Reeves.

jobeterob
04-04-2014, 08:24 PM
I relate to and applaud Miss Reeves for staying true to what she obviously is convinced she was meant to do.... and that is perform. I have been a performer my entire life... in variious media. With age, growth and maturity some modififications have been made but to the end I WILL be a performer... because its just "me" as it apparently is for Miss Reeves.

Martha is loved and fondly remembered, regardless of anything else.

smark21
04-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I saw her a couple of years ago at BB Kings..though she hit some bad notes [[sorry Roberta) she still delivered an enjoyable and engaging show. She loves to perform and entertain and everyone left happy. Not to mention her presence on stage and representing so much Motown history is quite magical and gives her a lot of audience good will so they will forgive the bum notes.

smark21
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Here's Dancing in the Streets from the same night. Martha takes a fall at about 3:07, but after getting up, she carries on like a trouper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oVivHM_iRc

marv2
04-05-2014, 05:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVxM77huLQc

You go Miss Martha! I'll be seeing her in a couple of weeks.

milven
04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Here's Dancing in the Streets from the same night. Martha takes a fall at about 3:07, but after getting up, she carries on like a trouper:

Oh my! That fall could have been dangerous for her. She was lucky. As we age, we can be victims of balance issues and fragile bones. Thankfully, she broke nothing. May be time to give up the high heels

Roberta75
04-05-2014, 08:35 AM

My goodnes my heart stopped when Martha fell to the floor. That was a real Nasty fall but the First Lady of Motown records dr Martha reeves just pick herself up and carry on and now shes in England on tour. What a true star.

Roberta

BigAl
04-05-2014, 09:37 AM
How distressing, and embarrassing, for Martha, but what a trouper!

Roberta75
04-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Really? Where you seeing miss Martha reeves?

blueskies
04-05-2014, 01:08 PM
A real trouper! Most singers have had a fall or two on stage....it's the nature of the beast. Thankfully, she's OK and still Dancing in the Streets.

jobeterob
04-05-2014, 01:46 PM
The poor woman; that was a hard fall for anyone let alone a senior. And she recovered so well and didn't appear hurt. I bet she was sore the next day though. You have to admire her for that.

marv2
04-05-2014, 02:06 PM
The poor woman; that was a hard fall for anyone let alone a senior. And she recovered so well and didn't appear hurt. I bet she was sore the next day though. You have to admire her for that.

She is Detroit tough........ I wouldn't even worry about it.

supremester
04-05-2014, 02:58 PM
How wonderful that you are going to Europe! Where are you going? For how long? Exciting!!

MrTopCat
04-05-2014, 04:33 PM
I love her and her songs but that vibrato is terribly annoying, sorry. You can't sing every song with a vibrato. It's a technique used only sometimes, not as your main way of singing.

milven
04-05-2014, 06:02 PM

I've gone to London a few times specifically to see a show that I feared would not make it to Broadway. Are you going to Europe specifically to see Martha or is it a coincidence that she will be there the same time as you?

supremester
04-05-2014, 06:51 PM
I have not traveled abroad, but I would if I felt I was going to miss something. The most trouble I have gone to is take a 757 to DFW, then a 12 seater to inner Louisiana, then a jitney for 90 minutes and an alligator across a large swamp to Marksville because I had never seen Miss Ross perform in a zip code that added up to 27.

Lulu
04-06-2014, 01:18 AM
I love her and her songs but that vibrato is terribly annoying, sorry. You can't sing every song with a vibrato. It's a technique used only sometimes, not as your main way of singing.

I love Martha's rich legacy and catalogue but I'm in agreement about the vibrato. I actually noticed it last night when I was listening to Gotta Keep Moving two fer CD on a silly but rather fun updated number called "Skating In The Streets".

blueskies
04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
If you want to get technical....
http://www.voiceteacher.com/vibrato.html