PDA

View Full Version : "Unsung Hollywood: Cooley High"

test

Bokiluis
03-31-2014, 03:41 PM
​This wednesday, the excellent series "Unsung Hollywood" will feature "Cooley High". I somehow missed this iconic movie. I went to Amazon and they only have one DVD in stock going for a whopping $39.95 eventhough it isn't Blu-ray or has any additional features.

l did find a double feature "Cooley High/Cornbread, Earl & Me" for $9.95. However, from the reviews I read even though the movies are on separate discs, "Cooley High" apparently only comes in Widescreen. But I purchased it anyway because the DVD/Record stores I check, were soldout and as if they rarely get it in.

Eventhough I have 90% of the songs on the soundtrack Deluxe Edition, that is hard to find as well, with Amazon pricing a new copy at $443.99!!! But I want the G.C. Cameron version of "It's Hard to Say Goodbye" because I've never heard it and the couple of obscure Freddie Perren tracks. There is a used copy "like new" for $22.95/$3.99 shipping.....so I'll get that one.

if this episode is as entertaining as the ones on "What's Happening", "Dick Gregory " and "Flip Wilson", Universal is going to miss an opportunity to sell some soundtracks and DVD because there is little inventory out there on either.

marv2
03-31-2014, 04:35 PM
​This wednesday, the excellent series "Unsung Hollywood" will feature "Cooley High". I somehow missed this iconic movie. I went to Amazon and they only have one DVD in stock going for a whopping $39.95 eventhough it isn't Blu-ray or has any additional features.

l did find a double feature "Cooley High/Cornbread, Earl & Me" for $9.95. However, from the reviews I read even though the movies are on separate discs, "Cooley High" apparently only comes in Widescreen. But I purchased it anyway because the DVD/Record stores I check, were soldout and as if they rarely get it in.

Eventhough I have 90% of the songs on the soundtrack Deluxe Edition, that is hard to find as well, with Amazon pricing a new copy at $443.99!!! But I want the G.C. Cameron version of "It's Hard to Say Goodbye" because I've never heard it and the couple of obscure Freddie Perren tracks. There is a used copy "like new" for $22.95/$3.99 shipping.....so I'll get that one.

if this episode is as entertaining as the ones on "What's Happening", "Dick Gregory " and "Flip Wilson", Universal is going to miss an opportunity to sell some soundtracks and DVD because there is little inventory out there on either.

One of my favorites. I went to see "Cooley High" in the summer of 1975. It was very influential in that many of the guys I was in school with during that time took on the personas of some of the films' characters! LOL! The soundtrack fit the film to a T! Most of the songs were just 10 years old by the time Cooley High was released so people in the audience snapped their fingers and sang along to a few of them. Great movie.

nabob
03-31-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm not digging through the stacks to find specifics, but I remember several of the songs on the CD were alternate mixes not found on the original studio LPs.

captainjames
03-31-2014, 08:22 PM
What I remember so well from that film is "This is one for the brothers who are not here" at the grave-site and the song, "Its so Hard To say Goodbye". Those were the days..............

Bokiluis
04-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Does anyone remember how the "Cooley High" soundtrack did on the charts? I could only find that G.C. Cameron's version of "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye" was a mid-charter @ #38/R&B and never crossed over.

With a budget of $750k, the actors surely didn't see a big payday.

reese
04-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Does anyone remember how the "Cooley High" soundtrack did on the charts? I could only find that G.C. Cameron's version of "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye" was a mid-charter @ #38/R&B and never crossed over.

With a budget of $750k, the actors surely didn't see a big payday.

The album reached #45 on Billboard's R&B chart, and didn't chart Pop at all.

Bokiluis
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM
The album reached #45 on Billboard's R&B chart, and didn't chart Pop at all.

Thanks Reese. I wondered if it became a stronger catalog album since they did eventually released it as a "Deluxe Edition".

Ngroove
04-03-2014, 02:36 AM
RIP Cynthia Davis [[Brenda) 2004-ish.

marv2
04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
RIP Cynthia Davis [[Brenda) 2004-ish.

She was sooooooo fine! RIP Cynthia.

marv2
04-03-2014, 10:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2nYBFxhaD4

REDHOT
04-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I watch Hollywood Unsung Cooley High last night,it was soooo good,and sad at the same time,i'm from Chicago,so it touched me,to see how life was,and how it has changed,no matter what,Cooley High will always be a CLASSIC,to me.Loved It