PDA

View Full Version : Diana Dazzles Last Night In Surprise Appearance At MOCA Gala!

test

Lulu
03-30-2014, 02:45 PM
http://variety.com/2014/scene/news/diana-ross-brings-down-the-house-for-star-studded-moca-gala-1201150110/

Lulu
03-30-2014, 02:50 PM
http://variety.com/2014/scene/news/diana-ross-brings-down-the-house-for-star-studded-moca-gala-1201150110/

Love this quote:

A cluster of well-heeled women and tuxedoed men rushed the stage, a cloud of diamonds, hairspray and bowties.

That's our Lady! LOL!

jobeterob
03-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Variety

Diana Ross Brings Down the House for Star-Studded MOCA Gala

Pharrell Williams, L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti
Donato Sardella/Getty Images

March 30, 2014 | 09:12AM PT

Alexandra Cheney

Senior Film Reporter

@alexandracheney

It was all a bit strange in that it was oddly normal. Not famous people at a fancy event normal – a particular kind of status quo in and of itself – but over at a friend’s house for a dinner party typical.

At the 2014 Museum of Contemporary Art gala held at the Geffen Contemporary and presented by Louis Vuitton, celebrities like Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, Dita Von Teese, Owen Wilson, John Baldessari and Dasha Zhukova showed up on time. They sat where they were assigned. They actually ate the spring vegetable with butter lettuce salad, the roasted loup de mer and sweet corn agnolotti [[not so much on the marjolaine, though).

They clapped when new MOCA director Philippe Vergne took the stage and spoke about the museum’s new beginnings [[since the rather public and awkward departure of Jeffrey Deitch, the organization’s previous director) and whooped and cheered when MOCA gala chairman Maurice Marciano offered to match a new young artists program with a sizable and matching donation.

Overall the night netted $2.4 million for the museum. All was well and good – strange for a Hollywood event – that is until Diana Ross hit the stage.

Rose McGowan hurtled herself through the crowd in a successful attempt to reach her friends in the front row. A cluster of well-heeled women and tuxedoed men rushed the stage, a cloud of diamonds, hairspray and bowties.

Pharrell, who was seated next to Jane Fonda, briefly considered hoisting his date up on his chair to see over the crowd, but opted out.

What should have been called new beginnings, the event had a twofold purpose. The MOCA anniversary gala turned 35, and the Frenchman Vergne, formerly of DIA in New York and Marseilles, has officially taken over the museum.

“You gave us our museum back,” said MOCA board co-chair Lily Tartikoff Karatz of Vergne, who had a similar coif in both color and volume to Conan O’Brien.

“This is not your regular gala,” said Marciano during his speech. “Just a year ago there was a lot of uncertainty.”

Now, the museum has a $100 million endowment.

“I haven’t sat down and I don’t want to,” Vergne told Variety. “This is not just for me, this event, this is for the museum, this is a celebration of young artists and contemporary art and Los Angeles,” he added.

Throughout the night Vergne stressed the importance of working with young, living artists, using the museum as a shelter for them, a place for them to grow, evolve, and ultimately present their work.

But until that time, everyone was pretty over the moon with the red sparkly Diana Ross belting out her No. 1’s.

[[Pictured: Pharrell Williams, L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti and Jane Fonda at the MOCA 35th Anniversary Gala)

Jimi LaLumia
03-30-2014, 04:37 PM
wow..Diana Ross has re claimed her place in pop culture royalty!.. well deserved..I'm sharing this EVERYWHERE!!

Roberta75
03-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Diane looks real pretty and still wowing crowds at 70 year young. A true star and fellow supreme Mary Wilson perform with Doc Severinson in Northridge on Friday night and in Vegas at the Smith Center last night. did anyone from this here forum go see these lovely and supreme talents?

Roberta

Bokiluis
03-30-2014, 08:58 PM
What a great reception for Diana! When you can dazzle your peers.....that's really saying something.

Jimi LaLumia
03-31-2014, 09:12 AM
she is back, by her choice, as the international superstar she has always been!..and it's just beginning..wait until the new record is announced!

JohnnyB
03-31-2014, 10:14 AM
she is back, by her choice, as the international superstar she has always been!..and it's just beginning..wait until the new record is announced!

Huh? New record announcement? Details?

midnightman
03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Well Diana is a legend of course. Not surprised by the big reception since she never went away lol

jobeterob
03-31-2014, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't do another album, particularly not in the traditional way of a physical CD release with ads in the trade publications. Nor would I be surprised if she doesn't appear in another movie.

I wish both would happen but have my doubts.

Lulu
03-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Here's some more coverage:

LA Times [[no pictures of Ross although judging by the comments, that's what people wanted!!!):

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-moca-anniversary-gala-mike-kelley-20140330,0,3057715.story

E! Online [[scroll down for video and crowd going wild!):

http://www.eonline.com/news/526489/kate-perry-s-new-hair-color-slime-green

marybrewster
04-02-2014, 08:53 AM
I thought there was talk about a year or so ago [[maybe longer?) that Diana was in the studio; or working on a new album. Wasn't the buzz that this release would include a duet with son Evan?