PDA

View Full Version : Mary and Brenda

test

captainjames
03-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Mary has mentioned more than once that she and Brenda Russell are good friends. Why don't Mary get Brenda to write and produce her some sweet sounds ? "Let Somebody Know" was recorded by Diana which may work for Mary.

Roger Polhill
03-30-2014, 01:36 AM
I thought that this thread would have been about Mary Wells and Brenda Holloway oh silly me.

marv2
03-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Here we have the lovely Mary Wilson performing a song written by Brenda Russell......"Piano In the Dark":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2j-KEeOHw

marv2
03-30-2014, 08:39 AM
and here we have Mary and Brenda romping through my hometown, New York with "Walking In New York" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3b5zY8ckQk

captainjames
03-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Brenda Russell's songs suit Mary's voice a lot. I was curious as to why Mary did not get Brenda to write something for her since they are suppose to be good friends.

smark21
03-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Because Mary doesn't have a recording contract? Does anyone know if Brenda wrote any songs for Mary's Walk the Line album? BTW, Mary always does a fine job when she performs Piano in the Dark in her show. I wish it would become a regular part of her set list again.

marv2
03-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Brenda Russell's songs suit Mary's voice a lot. I was curious as to why Mary did not get Brenda to write something for her since they are suppose to be good friends.

They are very good friends. It was Brenda Russell, Martha Harris [[of Detroit) and several other ladies that stayed in the hospital with Mary day and night when she had her accident in '94.

marv2
03-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Because Mary doesn't have a recording contract? Does anyone know if Brenda wrote any songs for Mary's Walk the Line album? BTW, Mary always does a fine job when she performs Piano in the Dark in her show. I wish it would become a regular part of her set list again.

I don't know. I do know that Mary co-wrote one of the songs on Brenda Russells album back during that time.

caliluv
03-31-2014, 01:40 AM
I thought that this thread would have been about Mary Wells and Brenda Holloway oh silly me.

LOL. You're not alone. Don't feel bad. I thought it was about Wells and Holloway myself.

roger
03-31-2014, 03:47 AM
LOL. You're not alone. Don't feel bad. I thought it was about Wells and Holloway myself.

I'm half-way like you guys .. I thought it was going to be about MARY WILSON and BRENDA HOLLOWAY!! LOL

On the subject of BRENDA RUSSELL there was an amusing incident about 15 years back when she came over to do some touring in the U.K.

Miss Russell was interviewed "live" on JAZZ-FM in London by ROBBIE VINCENT [[who at that time was doing the JAZZ-FM breakfast show). Now Mr Vincent is/was a huge BRENDA RUSSELL fan and probably did more to promote her career in the early '80s than any other British D.J. and I think he was a little "star-struck". Mr Vincent mentioned that HENRY MANCINI had got tired of always being asked to perform "Moon River" and asked Miss Russell if she felt the same about any of her signature-tunes. He then started to refer to her song that became a big hit for DONNA SUMMER as "Breakfast At Tiffany's" [[which was the film that featured Mr Mancini's mega-hit) rather than "Dinner With Gershwin" ..... :)

I have to say that BRENDA RUSSELL handled the situation very well and quietly and firmly corrected Mr Vincent ....

Roger