Ella Fitzgerald

and you get 16 pages of mp3s of her songs

as the waitress says

ENJOY

edafan

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/

splanky
03-30-2014, 07:05 AM
BIGgggggg jazz fan here...and I listen to and collect a lot more than just Ella but , good lord
they sure have a slew of her early material on that site. Stuff I can usually only hear on the radio or youtube. Stone Cold Dead In The Market kills me. Thanks edafan....

thomas96
03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
There's a lot of Ella, but not much for the others provided... Still pretty neat site, thanks.

Soul Sister
03-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Top 5 Favorite Male Jazz Vocalists:
Jimmy Scott / a.k.a Little Jimmy Scott [[A "singer's singer" thru the decades)
Arthur Prysock
Johnny Hartman
Chet Baker
Mel Torme`

Top 5 Favorite Female Jazz Vocalists:
Dinah Washington ~ [[Jimmy Scott was a number 1 favorite of hers, she called him "Fat Daddy").
Big Maybelle's Jazz Ballads ~ [[She & Jimmy Scott exchange songs to sing each night when touring together).
Billie Holiday ~ [[Jimmy Scott was her only favorite singer she named when asked by reporters).
Etta Jones ~ [[Another Jimmy fan).
Nancy Wilson [[from Jimmy Scott's school of jazz vocal stylists).

Jimmy & Nancy ~ [[ N.E.A. Jazz Masters):

S.S.

smark21
03-30-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm a big Chet Baker fan Soul Sister. Did Jimmy Scott ever meet him or work with him?

Soul Sister
03-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi smark,
Yes, Jimmy did meet Chet first in the early 1950's when he camed to Cleveland with a big band or white jazz band and also when Stan Getz played on Jimmy's Roost 78 records.
No, they never actually worked together though.

Chet was super cool. :cool:

S.S.

splanky
03-30-2014, 01:47 PM
There's a lot of Ella, but not much for the others provided... Still pretty neat site, thanks.

I poked around the site some more today and I see where some of the discographies cut off
in 1949, or 59 even for musicians whose careers hadn't ended. I'm guessing the reason is
because the host feels all else was beyond their classic period. Funny though that the Ellington link runs way up to the 2002 compilations and the Miles Davis spot is virtually empty, not even Birth Of The Cool is listed. There's plenty on Fats Waller,though. That's good but I know the site is basically a museum view of jazz. I have no problem with that but
I'm loving what's happening on the scene TODAY.....

Soul Sister
03-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Okay......lol, I just looked a that [[limited) list.
Not only did they not do their homework but half the list is down home Blues Artists not Jazz.
[[???)

S.S.

edafan
03-31-2014, 08:23 PM
They have 25 songs by Mel Torme.

What a great singer.

edafan

Soul Sister
04-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Yes he is, edafan!

S.S.

edafan