PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross in "The Josephine Baker Story"

test

marybrewster
03-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Came across this interesting 1990 advert for auction on eBay; Diana Ross starring in "The Josephine Baker Story".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-JOSEPHINE-BAKER-STORY-1990-ad-with-Diana-Ross-of-the-Supremes-fame-TNT-/291110741028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c78d6424#ht_392wt_916

What happened?

reese
03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Among other things, I suspect that the HBO production starring Lynn Whitfield might have stolen some of the spotlight from Diana's production, as it had been filmed during this period and aired early in 1991.

Bokiluis
03-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Unfortunately, by that time, Hollywood had viewed this project as a risk considering that Diana was rumoured to want a steeper budget [[once said to have been around $35 mil) than financiers were willing to support. It had been shopped around for years from Barry Diller at Paramount to Alan Carr [[producer of I believe "Grease" and the ill-fated Village People "Can't Stop the Music").
And then Lynn Whitfield nailed it with an Emmy/Golden Globe winning performance that to me was very reminiscent of Diana's performance in "Lady Sings the Blues". It became a lost dream for Diana who seemed perfect for the role. She even once said that she would focus on another aspect of La Baker's life or possibly Tracee doing the role while she would produce.
i loved Lynn's portrayal though and it was hard to argue that she hadn't captured the role though the music was overdubbed by an unknown singer. I had hoped they would release a soundtrack to the HBO film, alas, it never came to pass.

carole cucumber
03-28-2014, 11:57 AM
The unknown singer was Carolyn Dennis

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1180476/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Bokiluis
03-28-2014, 12:04 PM
The unknown singer was Carolyn Dennis

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1180476/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
Great. Thanks. She did a wonderful job! I often found myself singing along. HBO had been good about releasing soundtracks including a few years later "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge". I keep checking eBay every now and then to see if anyone had a CDR or anything.

marybrewster
03-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks all for the great info. I had heard that Diana had wanted to do the JB story; I guess I never knew it had gotten as far as it did.

reese
03-28-2014, 01:47 PM
In an interview, Diana said that Josephine offered to sell her life story to Berry for Diana to star in. But she wanted $1,000,000, and Berry didn't want to pay that.

In the 80s, there were some tabloid stories that had Diana joining the cast of DALLAS and being a female J.R.

In the 90s, I also remember reading columns that had Jack Lemmon wanting to do a film with Diana. I think it was called SILENCE, and it was the story of a mute woman and the man who was trying to help her communicate.

Lulu
03-28-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm a massive JBaker collector and friends with a couple of her sons. I'm relieved that Diana Ross did not make this film, as much as I enjoy her. Lynn Whitfield did a stellar job and I think Diana should have pursued other roles that took her out of the "biopic" genre.

Methuselah2
03-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Mary - No matter how big a star is, getting the go-ahead and necessary financing for a motion picture is difficult, especially once the studio system changed so radically that it was no longer promoting and looking after its stars. As already discussed, Ross' dream of a Baker film seemed to be happening by way of TNT for TV, with HBO also entering the arena with their own project starring Lynn Whitfield. Eventually, the Ross TNT project was no longer in the works. All that was left of Ross as Baker were a segment in one of her shows, as well as a TV appearance. And, of course, the great recreation photo of Ross as Baker that you came across by noted photographer Victor Skrebneski. Last year, there was mention that a Baker film was, once again, in the works, with its producers interested in Rihanna.

Bokiluis
03-28-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm a massive JBaker collector and friends with a couple of her sons. I'm relieved that Diana Ross did not make this film, as much as I enjoy her. Lynn Whitfield did a stellar job and I think Diana should have pursued other roles that took her out of the "biopic" genre.

I was fortunate to get to see La Baker in 1974. She had received rave reviews at her Carnegie Hall date. And since I was aware of Diana's interest in La Baker, I attended her suburban San Francisco date at the now defunct Circle Star Theater. My aunt, cousin and I attended. My ancestry is Creole and many of my elders spoke French. Unfortunately, there were only 6 people in the audience including us. But as a true professional, she came out and did the show. Like the scene in the movie where she asked the audience for their support during tough times, she spoke of her life with Joe Bouillon. In her 70s, her body was still killer. We met several of her sons at the show. I also had dinner at Chez Josephine in New York and met her sons then.
Her "Live at Carnegie Hall" album is quite good and her vocals are very good. My former partner was also French and he spoke very fondly of her.
I was surprised to learn that Diana actually lived in Paris for a year researching her life. I suspect that since awareness of her here in the states is rather low, a feature film with a huge budget was hard to negotiate. HBO reportedly made their movie for $8 million......filming primarily in Budapest because I guess Paris was cost prohibitive. Though I so wanted Diana to do it, considering her take on her in "An Evening with...", I absolutely loved Lynn Whitfield.
One bit of information I could never find out is if HBO ever approached her, considering she had 2 successful specials with her. But if Diana insisted on a huge budget......all bets were probably off because its hard to find fault with the $8 million television movie.

luke
03-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Wasnt Diana mentioned for Dynastyrole that Diahann Carroll ended up playing, and the Witches of Eastwick?

jobeterob
03-28-2014, 06:37 PM
And the Valaida Snow Story? And a few others. She, Berry, etc. were pretty picky. And I've seen her say she isn't very interested in doing anymore because she has no life while it is being filmed ~ all work, no play, no grandchildren etc.

Jimi LaLumia
03-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Larry [[JR) Hagman was a long time friend of Ross and wanted her as a villainess on DALLAS, around the same time that he dueted with her [["You Are Everything") on her DIANA CBS special which also featured Michael Jackson [[Off The Wall period)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPTyqw3HJCU

jobeterob
03-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Larry [[JR) Hagman was a long time friend of Ross and wanted her as a villainess on DALLAS, around the same time that he dueted with her [["You Are Everything") on her DIANA CBS special which also featured Michael Jackson [[Off The Wall period)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPTyqw3HJCU

You know the woman is or was supposedly friends with Barbra Walters, Beyoncé, Oprah Winfrey, the Obamas, Berry, Smokey, Rick James, Larry Hagman, Michael Jackson, Lynda, Scherrie, Cindy, Gene Simmons, and a bunch of others. The only person she hasn't been friends with at times is Mary who is the person that seems to WANT her to be a friend. I see on Mary's FB page she wishes Diana a Happy Birthday with love.

marv2
03-29-2014, 12:17 AM
You know the woman is or was supposedly friends with Barbra Walters, Beyoncé, Oprah Winfrey, the Obamas, Berry, Smokey, Rick James, Larry Hagman, Michael Jackson, Lynda, Scherrie, Cindy, Gene Simmons, and a bunch of others. The only person she hasn't been friends with at times is Mary who is the person that seems to WANT her to be a friend. I see on Mary's FB page she wishes Diana a Happy Birthday with love.

You always use to list Aretha Franklin as Diane's friend until I showed you that that was a lie. She does not have ANY friends why do you refuse to believe that? To be a friend, you have to be friend-like and Diane does NOT understand that concept. Oh well...........hehehehehehehehe!

Oh and Lynn Whitfield did an incredible job as Josephine Baker. I don't think anyone could have done a better job! She was awesome in that movie.

thisoldheart
03-29-2014, 01:42 AM
ross is a great pop singer, but no actress ... i had such a hard time believing her as billie holliday, but never any problem watching her perform with the supremes.

BigAl
03-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Lynn Whitfield was the best choice for the role, if only for her physical resemblance to La Baker.

I remember reading an anecdote, possibly in one of Mary Wilson's books or possibly in one about Baker, where La Baker met Wilson, took her by the chin, turned her head this way and that, and said, "She DOES look a little like me," and then strutted on without another word. Does anyone else remember this story? Mary also got herself up in Baker drag for a photo session but I never saw much of a resemblance. Still, she looked more like her than Ross did. All the same, Whitfield was the best choice.

Roberta75
03-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Lynn Whitfield was the best choice for the role, if only for her physical resemblance to La Baker.

I remember reading an anecdote, possibly in one of Mary Wilson's books or possibly in one about Baker, where La Baker met Wilson, took her by the chin, turned her head this way and that, and said, "She DOES look a little like me," and then strutted on without another word. Does anyone else remember this story? Mary also got herself up in Baker drag for a photo session but I never saw much of a resemblance. Still, she looked more like her than Ross did. All the same, Whitfield was the best choice.

Mary Wilson has the strongest and sexiest and most beutiful chin in show business and I cant wait to see Marys chin on the big screen when her movie golden shoe is released this year.

fondly,

Roberta

captainjames
03-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Lynn Whitfield was good but the film has been forgotten. Diana would have given it longevity as La Baker deserves. Diana did not have to look like LaBaker or Lady Day to make their lives memorable.

marv2
03-30-2014, 08:58 AM
I remember this movie well and it is because Lynn Whitfield's beauty and talent......she was sexy!!! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAbRWJ3oMM

kenneth
03-30-2014, 09:47 AM

I think that's in one of Mary's books, maybe even in the photo caption for the photo itself. I don't really seem much of a resemblance; Mary's face is much fuller than was Baker's. That being said though, I've always felt Mary's features have kind of a chameleon quality; with different hair and makeup her looks change a great deal and she can fashion herself very differently as she wishes to or the need arises.

kenneth
03-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks to Google, I did find the exact reference on page 168 of "Supreme Faith."

Mary says she was introduced to Baker by Geoffrey Holder, and when Baker met her, she commented to Geoffrey "You were right. She does look like me."

http://books.google.com/books?id=DOZS0LFCFOkC&pg=RA1-PA168&lpg=RA1-PA168&dq=mary+wilson+as+josephine+baker&source=bl&ots=KYDFfkvemY&sig=8spkGua_ISeiQZNRjJSSljYUVlE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qDU4U4fSEJPg2wWn34DICg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mary%20wilson%20as%20josephine%20baker&f=false

Roberta75
03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Lyn Whitfield has the same strong chin as Mary Wilson although I prefer Marys chin which Im looking forward to seeing in Golden Shoe when it come to theaters.

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
03-30-2014, 04:38 PM
what is golden shoe?

marv2
03-30-2014, 04:40 PM
what is golden shoe?

It's one of the two recent films Mary Wilson is featured in.

jobeterob
03-30-2014, 05:19 PM
It's one of the two recent films Mary Wilson is featured in.

This will almost certainly give us a "new" definition of the word "feature" too.

Roberta75
03-30-2014, 05:51 PM
This will almost certainly give us a "new" definition of the word "feature" too.

Well Mary Wilson will be acting with some real top stars in Golden shoe such as Peter DeLuise and Eric Roberts and Montel Wiliams.
i am looking forward to seeing Mary in the movie theater. I dont see her second movie though on the usually reliable movie database.

this is from they site.

Mary Wilson actress.
2014 Golden Shoes [[post-production) Mrs. Donna King
1999 Jackie's Back! [[TV Movie) Vesta Crotchley [[Jackie's Third Grade Teacher)
1983 Tiger Town [[TV Movie) National Anthem Singer

oops I just turn this Diane Ross thread into a Mary Wilson thread.

Jimi LaLumia
03-30-2014, 06:12 PM
well, Mary so very wants to be Ross.. Ross wanted to do the "Baker" story, so Mary is suddenly Baker..Ross nominated for an Academy Award as Billie Holiday, so Mary now sings "Strange Fruit"... need I go on?.. sort of tragic in a demented kind of way..

kenneth
03-30-2014, 06:53 PM
well, Mary so very wants to be Ross.. Ross wanted to do the "Baker" story, so Mary is suddenly Baker..Ross nominated for an Academy Award as Billie Holiday, so Mary now sings "Strange Fruit"... need I go on?.. sort of tragic in a demented kind of way..

I always thought her interest in Baker was rather "borrowed" as well. I didn't know she sang "Strange Fruit" though.

Jimi LaLumia
03-30-2014, 06:56 PM
it's been mentioned here..like I said,kind of sad..

Roberta75
03-30-2014, 09:22 PM
To be fair although Diane Ross excel on Strange Fruit it isnt exclusivly Dianes song so Mary has the right to sing it and the clip ive heard of Mary is real good but not near as good as Miss Rosses version imo.

Personally I would love to hear the First lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves record Strange Fruit in fact miss Martha has the chops to do an entire CD of jazz and blues imo.

Roberta

Roberta75
03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
I think that's in one of Mary's books, maybe even in the photo caption for the photo itself. I don't really seem much of a resemblance; Mary's face is much fuller than was Baker's. That being said though, I've always felt Mary's features have kind of a chameleon quality; with different hair and makeup her looks change a great deal and she can fashion herself very differently as she wishes to or the need arises.

Im trying to message you Kenneth dear but your inbox seem to be full.

Fondly,

Roberta

kenneth
03-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Im trying to message you Kenneth dear but your inbox seem to be full.

Fondly,

Roberta

Oops! Will remedy that post haste.

kenneth
03-30-2014, 10:59 PM
To be fair although Diane Ross excel on Strange Fruit it isnt exclusivly Dianes song so Mary has the right to sing it and the clip ive heard of Mary is real good but not near as good as Miss Rosses version imo.

Personally I would love to hear the First lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves record Strange Fruit in fact miss Martha has the chops to do an entire CD of jazz and blues imo.

Roberta

She absolutely should. I'm amazed no one has ever recorded her in a jazz vein.

BigAl
03-30-2014, 11:48 PM

Roberta

Martha used to include Holiday's "God Bless the Child" in her act.
I haven't see her live show in some years now, so I'm not sure if she still does.
She did a very good job on it.

supremester
03-31-2014, 12:29 AM
How do you know who she is is/not friendly with? Does she text you? Do you have spies? When Debbie Allen came up to say hi to freda, scherrie & Lynda, Evan Ross walked by and tapped her and said hi and kept walking then she turned to him and said she had something for him and would drop it off on Tues. She explained they have a movie night every tues. Was that all an elaborate act to make you look bad? It worked. But, still, I'd like to buy you lunch or coffee. I'll be at 261 5th ave tomorrow if you are in the neighborhood. Been a busy 4 days but still I kept hoping I'd bum,p into you in the theatre district. Saw Raisin in the Sun [[Denzel!!) Hedwig & Your angry Inch [[Doogie!) Realistic Joneses [[Mike C Hall/David Fisher - my 14th husband) Bridges of Blaine County.......didn't see you : [[

Anyway, you have been wrong about other things besiudes Miss ross' social network - I still love you. Will I see you at Queen Ree in JUne? or at Diety Diana?
You always use to list Aretha Franklin as Diane's friend until I showed you that that was a lie. She does not have ANY friends why do you refuse to believe that? To be a friend, you have to be friend-like and Diane does NOT understand that concept. Oh well...........hehehehehehehehe!

Oh and Lynn Whitfield did an incredible job as Josephine Baker. I don't think anyone could have done a better job! She was awesome in that movie.

smark21
03-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Like a lot of people here at this forum, Mary Wilson has a Diana Ross fixation, but Strange Fruit has never been the exclusive property of Billie HOlliday and Diana Ross. Nina Simone often performed the song during her career, as did Jeff Buckley. And given the Trayvon Martin verdict, perhaps more singers should be tackling that song as it sadly still holds relevance in 2014.

Jimi LaLumia
03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
did someone mention Dedwig and the Angry Investors?...nice 'borrow' of the 1995 autobiography "Man Enough To Be A Woman " by Jayne [[formerly known as Wayne) County.. what a dull, lifeless piece of garbage of a show..

Bokiluis
03-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Just because someone has a passion for an artist be it The Grateful Dead, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan or Diana Ross, as the long as that person handles other key responsibilities in their personal life and doesn't ask of others or infringe on others, what business is it of mine.
What is more disturbing is when someone seems committed to always finding criticism of others as if they possess the perfect blueprint for how everyone should conduct their lives. That is something I hope we get from the nurturing of our parents, the teachings of spiritual and/or religious lessons and something as simple as The Golden Rule, "do onto others as you would have them do on to you". Life is a journey where hopefully we grow and expand from our mistakes, as well as, the things that inspire us.
After all, who am I to tell anyone how they should conduct their lives when I am but a mere mortal trying to understand, in our few short years here on earth, the meaning of life and how I can live it to the best of my abilities.
One can only say that if a person[[s) and/or situation is so arduous, then why suffer fools gladly.

midnightman
03-31-2014, 11:00 AM
This reminds me of when Whitney Houston was campaigning hard to portray Dorothy Dandridge on screen [[and not the TV version it ended up being by Halle Berry) and then got depressed when that role left her grabs. Diana showed the same commitment to Josephine.

marv2
03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
This reminds me of when Whitney Houston was campaigning hard to portray Dorothy Dandridge on screen [[and not the TV version it ended up being by Halle Berry) and then got depressed when that role left her grabs. Diana showed the same commitment to Josephine.

Yeah the same way Stephanie Mills probably had commitment to play Dorothy in the Wiz.......

jobeterob
03-31-2014, 12:13 PM
What is more disturbing is when someone seems committed to always finding criticism of others as if they possess the perfect blueprint for how everyone should conduct their lives. That is something I hope we get from the nurturing of our parents, the teachings of spiritual and/or religious lessons and something as simple as The Golden Rule, "do onto others as you would have them do on to you". Life is a journey where hopefully we grow and expand from our mistakes, as well as, the things that inspire us.

Two very good posts.

Lots of movies never get made; lots of rotten movies do very well and a lot of good movies fizzle.

Bokiluis
03-31-2014, 12:24 PM

Streisand shopped "Yentl" around for 15 years before it was finally green lit. I go to the movies once or twice a month, but, I'm surprised at the number of friends and co-workers that tell them that they don't go to the movies. Even after Whitney's tragic death, "Sparkle" only made less than $25 mil,not factoring marketing and advertising costs. Michael's "This is It" did much better thankfully. But they made a spark strategic move by trumpeting a very limited [[was it 2 weeks) run in theaters. It gave the movie a sense of urgency. I kinda thought that Whitney and Michael were fairly synonymous in popularity. Whitney's new Greatest Hits barely got to 500k. It may be closer to 750k now. Whereas, "michael", the unreleased album sold several million units. It could be argued that there was high passion for both artists. But then I recently read that Michael's estate may still be in the red, due to outstanding loans and debts.

jobeterob
03-31-2014, 12:38 PM
Both artists were "old". There is generally, to the public, less interest overall in female singers. Whitney was way past her prime, had lost her voice and other like Beyoncé and Alicia Keys and Katy Perry had taken her place.

But I think it is partly a sexist attitude that causes the discrepancy between Whitney and Michael and maybe he just stood up to time better.

theboyfromxtown
03-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Came across this interesting 1990 advert for auction on eBay; Diana Ross starring in "The Josephine Baker Story".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-JOSEPHINE-BAKER-STORY-1990-ad-with-Diana-Ross-of-the-Supremes-fame-TNT-/291110741028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c78d6424#ht_392wt_916

What happened?

Check out this interview....at about 7:20 from the lady herself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hav6y0G8HRc

marv2
03-31-2014, 04:37 PM

Two very good posts.

Lots of movies never get made; lots of rotten movies do very well and a lot of good movies fizzle.

Interesting.........in that you were one that proclaimed several times in the past on this forum that you do not believe in God! You use to upset Carlo all the time with your blasphemies........

captainjames
03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Good find Xtown
Good Video

Check out this interview....at about 7:20 from the lady herself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hav6y0G8HRc

Bokiluis
03-31-2014, 08:29 PM
The Des O'Connor interview with Diana is a personal favorite. She always seems so much more relaxed during international interviews.....and often more revealing.

jobeterob
04-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Bokiluis................I replied to your private message but you mailbox is full; you need to go clear out some messages and maybe some sent ones; and then I'll reply.

jobeterob
04-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Great interview; she was at a peak; she often uses that line "I'm happy to be here".

supremester
04-01-2014, 01:36 AM
We liked it. NPH will def see Tony nod if his voice holds out - poor guy looked and began to sound worn out, but he was sensational. No so my EX [[MCH) in a pointless gab fest and Bridges reminded me so much of what the play was in Waiting For Guffman. Very well acted though. Raisin was simply superb. Although I bought the seats because DiHanne was in it, the woman who played her part was great. This was no cake walk/star turn for Denzel - he was great and will be very happy June time.
did someone mention Dedwig and the Angry Investors?...nice 'borrow' of the 1995 autobiography "Man Enough To Be A Woman " by Jayne [[formerly known as Wayne) County.. what a dull, lifeless piece of garbage of a show..

supremester
04-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Interesting..............that when Mary Wilson told you to "shut your pie hole and leave Diane and myself out of your petty squabbles........" You cited The First Amendment: Freedom Of Speech. We also have Freedom of Religion and all need to respect other's beliefs. I'm sorry Carlo is upset if someone doesn't believe in God - hopefully he's over it by now. There could be agnostics upset by Jehovah's Witnesses - the possibilities are endless. .................Re Re Re Re R E S P E C T
Interesting.........in that you were one that proclaimed several times in the past on this forum that you do not believe in God! You use to upset Carlo all the time with your blasphemies........

midnightman
04-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Streisand shopped "Yentl" around for 15 years before it was finally green lit. I go to the movies once or twice a month, but, I'm surprised at the number of friends and co-workers that tell them that they don't go to the movies. Even after Whitney's tragic death, "Sparkle" only made less than $25 mil,not factoring marketing and advertising costs. Michael's "This is It" did much better thankfully. But they made a spark strategic move by trumpeting a very limited [[was it 2 weeks) run in theaters. It gave the movie a sense of urgency. I kinda thought that Whitney and Michael were fairly synonymous in popularity. Whitney's new Greatest Hits barely got to 500k. It may be closer to 750k now. Whereas, "michael", the unreleased album sold several million units. It could be argued that there was high passion for both artists. But then I recently read that Michael's estate may still be in the red, due to outstanding loans and debts.

There was more financial value in Michael at the time but the estate might've overstepped its boundaries with the money if the IRS are to be believed [[and I don't trust them either lol). You couldn't really compare it to Whitney. Different scenarios.

Jimi LaLumia
04-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Dedwig won't last very long, it's not mainstream Broadway material, and I'm happy to hear to Kneel is ALREADY worn out... good..

jobeterob
04-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Interesting..............that when Mary Wilson told you to "shut your pie hole and leave Diane and myself out of your petty squabbles........" You cited The First Amendment: Freedom Of Speech. We also have Freedom of Religion and all need to respect other's beliefs. I'm sorry Carlo is upset if someone doesn't believe in God - hopefully he's over it by now. There could be agnostics upset by Jehovah's Witnesses - the possibilities are endless. .................Re Re Re Re R E S P E C T

Thank you Marv, thanks so much for the pat on the back for my religious values.

Coming from someone who violates most Human Rights Legislation on Youtube with his bigoted comments about gay people, who bullies people when they don't agree with him, who issues daily diatribes against a woman, Miss Ross, who he has never met ~ I take your comments as another compliment.

I'm comfortable with my Christian values outshining yours! Your church would definitely not be a choice for most of us. Is it one of those churches which allow you to be a bigot and spout hatred and pray it away? There were and are lots of those churches remaining in the South of the USA I'm told.

You must be talking Carlo, who I sent the Whitney Houston Magazine to?

jobeterob
04-02-2014, 11:09 PM

Coming from someone who violates most Human Rights Legislation on Youtube with his bigoted comments about gay people, who bullies people when they don't agree with him, who issues daily diatribes against a woman, Miss Ross, who he has never met ~ I take your comments as another compliment.

I'm comfortable with my Christian values outshining yours! Your church would definitely not be a choice for most of us. Is it one of those churches which allow you to be a bigot and spout hatred and pray it away? There were and are lots of those churches remaining in the South of the USA I'm told.

Some of Marv's bullying seems to be rearing its head on other Supremes threads so I thought I'd give this a bump.

marv2
04-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Some of Marv's bullying seems to be rearing its head on other Supremes threads so I thought I'd give this a bump.

Yabba, dabba Doo! and Fred and Dino too.........Jobeterob! LOL!!!!

Lulu
04-02-2014, 11:56 PM

I'm so confused. marv2 isn't gay? I must be oblivious to all of the other heterosexual obsessive Mary Wilson fans with snarky "Boys In The Band"-like banter.

marv2
04-03-2014, 12:01 AM
I'm so confused. marv2 isn't gay? I must be oblivious to all of the other heterosexual obsessive Mary Wilson fans with snarky "Boys In The Band"-like banter.

I don't be confused, I am definitely not gay. I am also not a Mary Wilson fan. She is a friend of mine. Try a new way of insulting me. It just might work! LOL!!!!

Lulu
04-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't be confused, I am definitely not gay. I am also not a Mary Wilson fan. She is a friend of mine. Try a new way of insulting me. It just might work! LOL!!!!

If being called 'gay' is an insult to you, you pretty much just made your own bigoted bed. If you are such good friends with Mary, wouldn't she be disgusted with your online rants - particularly those about Diana? If it doesn't bother her and she condones it, you've certainly not made much of a case for how wonderful she is...

marv2
04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
If being called 'gay' is an insult to you, you pretty much just made your own bigoted bed. If you are such good friends with Mary, wouldn't she be disgusted with your online rants - particularly those about Diana? If it doesn't bother her and she condones it, you've certainly not made much of a case for how wonderful she is...

Look......blow it out your other ear. It is late here on the East Coast and I am too sleepy now to be fighting with you and Mary has already gone to bed. Goodnight! LOL!!!!

Lulu
04-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Look......blow it out your other ear. It is late here on the East Coast and I am too sleepy now to be fighting with you and Mary has already gone to bed. Goodnight! LOL!!!!

Well, you best get to sleep so I can sneak over to Mary's and remove that nanny cam you planted in her bedroom while you were over for mimosas last week, dear!

jobeterob
04-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Mary would have him removed, just like Diana did.

Lulu
04-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Mary would have him removed, just like Diana did.

You said it, boo!

supremester
04-03-2014, 01:32 AM
So many people think Marv is gay - I don't know why but I'm sure he's not because he says a lot of anti-gay remarks all over the place. He even dismisses Miss Ross' concert attendees [["only draws old gay men) .......... I mean, he won't even let me buy him a coffee nudge! I'm in NYC 4 -5 times this year, and I'd love to sit down with him. I had very little free time last week but will have a little more the next times..... hopefully we can bury the hatchet like Mary & DianE or Mary & Lynda or Mary & Scherrie or Mary & Jean or Mary & .........well you get the picture. Marv in Boys In The Band? He'd have to be Alan!

hehehehehehehehehehe

jobeterob
04-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Marv's sexual orientation is irrelevant.

What matters is his bigotry, his prejudice, his mean spiritedness, his hate mongering..................

smark21
04-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Marv's sexual orientation is irrelevant.

What matters is his bigotry, his prejudice, his mean spiritedness, his hate mongering..................

In which the moderators here let slide.

Roberta75
04-03-2014, 11:16 AM

But God is the moderator of the world and God dont ever let bigotry and predujice and hate and mean spirits slide. Judgement day is the day of reckoning.

The good book of Mathew say the following.

"I tell you on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak"

Roberta

Lulu
04-03-2014, 03:18 PM

Well, I apologize if I've opened up a can of worms. It was wrong for me to assume. I have plenty of straight male friends who enjoy Diana Ross and The Supremes and we have gone to concerts together. It wasn't until I hit the 'net and noticed all these tireless Mary Wilson warriors and I just concluded that must be gay based on how obscure the interest was to me [[don't get me wrong, I have ALL of the Supremes albums and Mary's two solo records) and how vehemently they defended her and said such awful things about Diana [[like really vulgar descriptions of sex, defecation, etc.).

It seems my "petition" reignited this whole firestorm [[that thread has since been deleted as I believe someone interpreted soulster's comments as "homophobic" and called him a "wanker") and that wasn't my intent. I just found the conversations to be counterproductive and childish and I suppose I'd been shielded from them in the past by not getting involved in online message boards or forums related to the Supremes. As I said, I've met the majority of the Supremes, members of their families and have attended concerts by Diana and the FLOS respectively and this vitriol hadn't come up before.

smark21
04-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Lulu, Diana Ross has her share of scary crazy fans on the internet as well. A couple of years ago when Mary Wilson was in Russia for a couple of concerts there was a bombing at a Moscow airport and a Diana Ross fan was disappointed Mary wasn't killed in the bombing. Over on youtube there was another Ross fan who over New Year's said he hoped Mary died this year so he desecrate her grave and Flo's grave as well. And on Facebook there was a Diana Ross fan who threaten another fan with violence because they disagreed on a matter. I think nearly all celebrities have a few insane fans.

smark21
04-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Here's the link to the crazy youtube fan posts I mentioned above if you care to read some very sick and disturbing insane rants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mtlGs8_F4

No wonder Diana Ross was once quoted as saying she was afraid of a few of her crazy fans.

jobeterob
04-03-2014, 09:16 PM
The guys on you tube are wingnuts, but who cares; I see Marv is among them.

But the song wasn't so bad; Mary presents herself tastefully; for 70 years old, she looks awesome; she strategically uses the background singers and musicians when she can't hit the notes and she doesn't even try to make the notes ~ she just drops it way back. I think she learned so well from Motown and Berry and Diana.

Lulu
04-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Here's the link to the crazy youtube fan posts I mentioned above if you care to read some very sick and disturbing insane rants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mtlGs8_F4

No wonder Diana Ross was once quoted as saying she was afraid of a few of her crazy fans.

I couldn't get past halfway down the page..."wizboy" is no better than the others. It's just as bad as reading some of the vile things far right people post online about the President.

supremester
04-03-2014, 11:28 PM
I've read some bad shit online in Supremes' camps - but nothing compared to what I've read about Obama. Wizboy has outdone himself, I didn't know he had gone so crazy, but I don't read Youtube much. I had seen that Mary clip, but not read the comments.

JLoveLamar
06-12-2021, 02:41 AM
One bit of information I could never find out is if HBO ever approached her, considering she had 2 successful specials with her. But if Diana insisted on a huge budget......all bets were probably off because its hard to find fault with the $8 million television movie.

Nope. They did not ask her. She said on Larry King Live that she was disappointed that they did not ask her to do the film.

JLoveLamar
06-12-2021, 02:43 AM

I'm howling! Y'all are too much!