View Full Version : The Temptations Show

test

soulballad
03-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlT1-NFCujU

marybrewster
03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Yes; excellent! But that canned applause is annoying.

marybrewster
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
From wiki:

The Temptations Show was a one-hour syndicated television special starring Motown singing group The Temptations, which aired on July 10, 1969.[1] Produced by Motown Productions, it guest-starred George Kirby and Kaye Stevens.

Among the featured musical numbers were Temptations singles such as "Get Ready", "Cloud Nine", and "Run Away Child, Running Wild", pop standards such as "Ol' Man River" and "Swanee"., and a closing number, "Somebody's Keepin' Score", featuring all three stars. Along with the TCB special in 1968, which featured both the Temptations and Diana Ross & The Supremes, this was one of Dennis Edwards' first appearances with the group. A soundtrack of the show was released on Motown's Gordy label as GS 933 that same year.

Does anyone know what the connection was to Kaye Stevens? Seems like an odd choice for guest star. Was it to help pull a "whiter" audience? Was Kaye all that big of a star in 1969 when this aired?

reese
03-25-2014, 10:35 AM
I think Kaye Stevens was big in clubs and Vegas. I remember her appearing on a soap opera when I was a kid. I suspect her involvement, like those of Fran Jeffries and Danny Thomas in subsequent Motown specials, was to pull in a different audience.

midnightman
03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
The Miracles and Jackson 5's shows were run in the same way this was...

marybrewster
03-25-2014, 12:00 PM
I think Kaye Stevens was big in clubs and Vegas. I remember her appearing on a soap opera when I was a kid. I suspect her involvement, like those of Fran Jeffries and Danny Thomas in subsequent Motown specials, was to pull in a different audience.

Makes sense to me. I suppose the same thought was put behind Larry hagman. A singer he is not, but he was the hot thing as JR.

arr&bee
03-25-2014, 04:21 PM
The temps were hitting on all cylinders with dennis crankin it and paul in his vocal glory,although the swanee thing was a bit much the show was great.

thomas96
03-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Was Paul's rendition of For Once In My Life on the Show or was it on Ed Sullivan? I can't remember...

midnightman
03-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Was Paul's rendition of For Once In My Life on the Show or was it on Ed Sullivan? I can't remember...

The show [[or TCB). I don't think they did it on Ed Sullivan. Probably Melvin's Old Man River but not For Once in My Life.

Roger Polhill
03-25-2014, 08:28 PM
It was T.C.B. midnightman and the highlight of the show.

smark21
03-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Was For Once in My Life a regular part of The Temptations' live act while Paul was in the group?

Roger Polhill
03-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Was For Once in My Life a regular part of The Temptations' live act while Paul was in the group?
They certainly were including it on the "Live At The Copa" album in 1968.

reese
03-25-2014, 09:23 PM

On THE TEMPTATIONS SHOW, Paul sang I'VE GOTTA BE ME. Kay Stevens sang FOR ONCEIN MY LIFE.

supremester
03-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Paul always had a featured spot. I know he was doing it in clubs whenever he was up to it, but I believe that it was hit and miss in concerts. By 1968-69, he wasn't in good shape and things began to deteriorate a bit more rapidly. He was an amazing talent.

supremester
03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Kaye Stevens was an interesting type of celebrity that really don't exist anymore. She was a talented entertainer in that she could sing, tell jokes, move well enough and would do anything to work. She must have had connections or some very strong management as she popped up in odd places that normally were where Sinatra or Babs might play. She had a nightclub revue with 3 other similars called The Playgirls - it never took off, but was excellent. I have the album. I think she probably on The Temptations Show through George Schlatter because of the budget and visability, it was a great, but very odd, match. Personally, after TCB, I wish Gordy and Schlatter had gone their separate ways.

reese
03-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Kaye Stevens was an interesting type of celebrity that really don't exist anymore. She was a talented entertainer in that she could sing, tell jokes, move well enough and would do anything to work. She must have had connections or some very strong management as she popped up in odd places that normally were where Sinatra or Babs might play. She had a nightclub revue with 3 other similars called The Playgirls - it never took off, but was excellent. I have the album. I think she probably on The Temptations Show through George Schlatter because of the budget and visability, it was a great, but very odd, match. Personally, after TCB, I wish Gordy and Schlatter had gone their separate ways.

I miss those type of performers. I always used to see them on Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin, and would have no idea why they were famous. But they were usually good.

I don't think this Temptations show was a Motown/Schlatter production, at least not according to the soundtrack album. I don't have it in front of me, but I think it is credited to Screen Gems.

marybrewster
03-26-2014, 03:19 PM

YES YES YES! Thank you supremester! I knew I had seen her name before but couldn't remember where. I actually have the "Playgirls" cast album on CD [[which was next to impossible to find). VERY DRAG! I had been studying one of the songs to perform; the name escapes me now but it was "pageant" oriented; the premise of the song was that the girl was "Miss First Runner Up". I'll have to dig that out again.

thisoldheart
03-29-2014, 01:50 AM
that just ain't the temps without david ruffin ... the is is only one lineup and we all know who is in it!