PDA

View Full Version : James Jamerson bass story

test

Denniswilson
03-25-2014, 05:41 AM
Hello Guys,

I'm trying to find the story of when Motown moved to LA and told james jamerson that his bass playing was outdated and he needed to change his strings. Is the story told in any of the books e.g Nelson George[[ if so do you know page numbers) or any credible interviews?

Thanks,

Philip

thomas96
03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
If you can get your hands on it, in a copy of Musician Magazine [[Oct 1983) there's the article "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" written by Nelson George, I believe that documents that. Has some Jamerson quotes as well. I have a copy, just not sure where it's buried in my collection.

Roger Polhill
03-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Philip, if you get Dr. Licks` book "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown The Life And Music Of James Jamerson" it is on pages 70 - 71.

Denniswilson
03-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Fantastic thanks for the help guys!

edafan
03-26-2014, 02:13 PM
I can't believe that the person attributed to that stupid quote
was a musician.

Jamerson's playing was the record

edafan

radionixon
03-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Hi Dennis

Nelson George doesn't really go into much detail on this in Where Did Our Love Go - the relevant part in my edition is on pages 226-7 and reads as follows [[it's not cheery reading):

Most of the old cats were out in Detroit, but Jamerson was living in LA and in desperate need... he had fallen far by 1984. Unlike most of his old musical compatriots, Jamerson had relocated permanently to the West Coast, where, theoretically, he was to have been guaranteed work with Motown. But time cuahgt up to him, too. Just as there were new sounds, there were new musicians... and the elder Jamerson's hands had lost thieir sense of time, that intangible element of musicianship. Work came less and less frequently, his marriage faltered, and he spent too much of the 80s in and out of sanatoriums. 'Everybody, as time went on, got sort of strange', he said of the Motown 'family' the month before [[Motown 25), 'especially after Motown moved out to California. If they see you, they're glad to see you. They just change their phone numbers so much. I don't believe in changing mine. I don't believe some of them know I'm still alive.' Four months after the special aired, Jamerson died of complications from a heart attack in Los Angeles.

daddyacey
03-28-2014, 01:40 AM
In Dr Licks book , it say's that Gene Page had spoke with Nathan East regarding some inotation issues with Jamerson. East advised that it was the strings that Jamerson was using, which were far beyond use. Jamerson was scratched for tonal reasons from the original date of Ritchies ,"Lady". Paul Jackson Jr. gave him a set of new strings ,but Jamerson didn't use them.

Regardless........... "Jamerson's playing was the record"