PDA

View Full Version : Rick & Teena - Fire & Desire [[extended)

test

midnightman
03-24-2014, 12:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owDzqokq1uU

My favorite version of this R&B classic. RIP "Slick" Rick and Lady Tee.

soulster
03-24-2014, 04:29 AM
I don't like it. They mixed out the drums.

midnightman
03-24-2014, 10:58 AM

I know some wouldn't like it because of that but I'm more in tune to the vocals than anything else. And the strings... oh my God...

Soul Sister
03-24-2014, 11:51 AM
LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
One of my all-time favs.

S.S.

midnightman
03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
One of my all-time favs.

S.S.

I know, right? It's even better, huh? :cool:

Bokiluis
03-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Love this version as well. It is very ethereal and dreamy! I like owning alternate mixes on classics.

"First Class Love: Rare Tee" had to grow on me. Though I have mixed emotions how iTunes flipped the game allowing fans to pick and chose tracks because some albums are complete works of art....imagining pick and choosing tracks from "What's Going On" without experiencing it in its entirety?....yet, having the ability to select a mix like this one, without purchasing the album is cool, if someone just wanted to own a separate mix. Listening to my iPod in the shuffle mode, actually made me appreciate "First Class Love: Rare Tee".

Remember Teena said she never really got paid for her contribution to this song.

Love the extended version of "Sunny Skies" as well.

daddyacey
03-25-2014, 04:20 AM

But you can still hear them in your minds ear. It's just stripped down to certain sub parts that are part of the original mix. Now listen to the original again and although you may have heard them in the original mix before ,you should be even more aware of them now. Just another perspective of a classic.

midnightman
03-25-2014, 11:42 AM
^ You get it. :)

That's all it is. Another perspective. So many layers of music, it's great to peel some of them to hear what you might not have heard before.

I love this version because of the extra vocals that were left off of the original "Fire & Desire". R&T were vocally superior on this song... it's sad Teena didn't get paid though but she was over it anyway. R.I.P.

daddyacey
03-28-2014, 01:59 AM
Teena may have not been paid in money ,but this , of all tracks she recorded on , say's "I'm Teena Marie...... Bitch" , for all time. Rick could NEVER perform the magic of the song with anybody else but T. Hearing these vocals ,you know she knew that .

marv2
03-28-2014, 05:26 PM
This was a killer song! One of the best recorded for Motown!!!!

midnightman
03-29-2014, 12:15 AM
Teena may have not been paid in money ,but this , of all tracks she recorded on , say's "I'm Teena Marie...... Bitch" , for all time. Rick could NEVER perform the magic of the song with anybody else but T. Hearing these vocals ,you know she knew that .

Oh yeah. This song actually solidified Teena's legend [[before Square Biz that is lol).

midnightman
03-29-2014, 12:16 AM
This was a killer song! One of the best recorded for Motown!!!!

Can't argue with that.

splanky
03-30-2014, 09:15 AM
I did miss the drums too at first but this lets you hear the full power of Teena's voice. I didn't know she wasn't paid; are you guys sure about that? Not even a session fee?
Dang...there always have been a lot of white girls who can sing in popular music but not
so many who could SANG if you get my drift. Lady Tee was one for sure...I still miss her
and Rick with his crazy ass self....

midnightman
03-31-2014, 10:51 AM
I did miss the drums too at first but this lets you hear the full power of Teena's voice. I didn't know she wasn't paid; are you guys sure about that? Not even a session fee?
Dang...there always have been a lot of white girls who can sing in popular music but not
so many who could SANG if you get my drift. Lady Tee was one for sure...I still miss her
and Rick with his crazy ass self....

Teena said it herself on Unsung that she wasn't paid if my memory banks are correct.

And you're right: no one sang like Teena, especially the ones who have done "blue-eyed soul" [[which is still a dumb description, if you got soul, don't matter the color) lol